test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Uniform Options

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    With very skimpy outfits like the Mirror Universe top, you will be able to see lots of skin and we want to eventually allow a similar level of customization there. Right now we don't have those bare chest assets ready.
    Thx for the update and it's good to know that you're still working on the outfits.

I would appreciate it if you would also tell it if the so called TOS uniforms are considered done, or if you are working on a version that is at least a little closer to the originals (like different collar, flap on skirt, tights etc.)

I can understand that a 100% true version may be not possible with your engine, but for these three things I don't get why they aren't in.
    edited February 2010
    It may be asking too much, but I'd love to one day see all the uniforms on this page:

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/uniforms.htm
    edited February 2010
    Vexiom wrote:
    So, just to be clear... The uniforms which you sold to us nearly a year ago will be added to the game eventually, but not any time soon... And you're okay with this? You think that this is an appropriate level of quality and service? Really?!?!

It's not appropriate, no, but honestly, being a developer myself (not of STO) I can certainly at least be sympathetic to the fact that this game took less time to develop than my last project which took about 8 months longer. My last project was actually about as half as sophisticated as this game. Granted Cryptic has a lot more people and funding, where as my last project has a total of 4 people. Two programmers and two artists. And we worked our butts off with an absolutely horrid work flow being foisted onto us.

At any rate, what I'm saying here is that, no, it's not an appropriate level of service. But all I know all too well WHY... Infact, I made a number of predictions regarding missing uniforms and all of the predictions came out true. Granted I made some cynical comments that have been proven false but my predictions have been correct.

These were my predictions
    1: No mirror universe for females when the skirts were handed out in place of female TOS uniforms.
    2: The female TOS uniforms would just be a skirt with a male top
    3: The female TOS uniforms would not include the proper boots, nor the proper tights to go over the legs.
    4: The holdup with Mirror Universe uniforms is actually about a lack of torso textures and normal maps for all the different skin configurations.

I'm not defending Cryptic. Honestly, they really SHOULD have had this stuff AT RELEASE because that is EXACTLY what the original ad said. I can be sympathetic, but I still feel they should not have promised "available at game's release" if they could not meet that obligation. Frankly, I'd like something else as a kind of condolence.

But... I have a lifetime account on both games. I can be patient so long as what I paid for will be forthcoming. Still, I will always have second doubts about trusting Cryptic to honor their advertising... This is actually twice they failed to honor the ads regarding the Champions Online Lifetime Accounts. So yeah, I will think twice next time.
    edited February 2010
    any ETA on Mirror Universe Sets? Still waiting for it :(
    edited February 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    I posted an update in the Mirror Univese specific thread: but I thought it would be relevant to re-post here:

Getting the full Female Mirror Universe costume pieces out for player use is something we are working towards. And yes, the one we are currently planning is the one Uhura wore in "Mirror, Mirror", bare midriff included.

We have a fairly extensive Alien creator in STO, allowing all sorts of different alien looks for the head of your avatar, from classically clean and attractive to monstrous and grotesque. With very skimpy outfits like the Mirror Universe top, you will be able to see lots of skin and we want to eventually allow a similar level of customization there. Right now we don't have those bare chest assets ready.

The Mirror Universe Female uniforms are indeed coming, but they are not right around the corner. That being said, we are very much aware of the wants and needs for them, and are working on it.

Yay look forward to getting them thanks :)

Now if you can also work also on more longer hair options and maybe a few other varients of skirt , as well as heeled boots that would be fantastic.

:)
    edited February 2010
    nekollx wrote: »
    right cause 7 months was clearly not enough time

My prediction is that by next week you'll be saying that they've had 35 years to fix this.
    edited February 2010
    love the link I've used it on my Pbem sim that I belong to. One option I wouldn't mind seeing on STO is the TOS movie uniform bomber jscket. I have all of my crew on STO wearing the Wrath of Khan uniform with colors matiching duty stations.

..LtCmdr.Braak.
    edited February 2010
    Geekboy wrote: »
    My prediction is that by next week you'll be saying that they've had 35 years to fix this.

no 7 months, cause you know, thats when they made the MU promise
    edited February 2010
    Getting kind of ticked off here, over a week now and my ticket regarding borked female DS9 uniforms has gone completely ignored, while other more trivial tickets have been dealt with...
    edited February 2010
    Thank you for the update, and since some of the more annoying whiny babies in this thread said they'd give you 60 days from launch to fix this or they'd leave forever, please don't fix it until at least day 70, just to be on the safe side.

And to think I took you off when I pruned my ignore list recently... silly me.

What business do you work in that you're so vehemently opposed to seeing customers receive what they've been promised for their money?
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    Getting kind of ticked off here, over a week now and my ticket regarding borked female DS9 uniforms has gone completely ignored, while other more trivial tickets have been dealt with...

Wait, tickets are being responded to? Hell, I put a ticket in about an exploit I found last Friday and haven't even gotten it marked read!
    edited February 2010
    What business do you work in that you're so vehemently opposed to seeing customers receive what they've been promised for their money?

Customer service. So you see, hearing people's problems all day has allowed me to see the difference between people with actual problems (who I gladly go to the ends of the Earth to help) and children whose mothers should have spanked them (who learn a valuable lesson about attracting more flies with honey, etc).
    edited February 2010
    Customer service. So you see, hearing people's problems all day has allowed me to see the difference between people with actual problems (who I gladly go to the ends of the Earth to help) and children whose mothers should have spanked them (who learn a valuable lesson about attracting more flies with honey, etc).

Ahh. It's good to know that lying to your customers is more acceptable than becoming angry about being lied to these days.
    edited February 2010
    While its appreciated that we've been updated on the situation, its still pretty damn not cool that something that was sold to us ages back is not only still not included, but apparently quite some time away still. :/

And even the current TOS Female uniform I'm making do with looks pretty bad.

While I'm enjoying the game, I'm getting a little peeved with this stuff.
    edited February 2010
    It may be asking too much, but I'd love to one day see all the uniforms on this page:

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/uniforms.htm

Man... if they design canon uniforms with all their details like on this page... I'd frakin break the C-Store with mad purchases.
    edited February 2010
    3: The female TOS uniforms would not include the proper boots, nor the proper tights to go over the legs.

That's the only thing I really can't understand. What is the difficulty of having an additional texture option for the legs? They even have an additional setting for Trills where you can set the color of the sparkles, so the engine should be capable of doing this.

The only explanation I currently have is either laziness or that the artists haven't really looked at the source material.

If anybody else can give me an other explanation it would be great, since both of them don't sound nice.
    edited February 2010
    while i dont like the answer the dev gave. but i can live with it. i hope they turn out great. :)
    edited February 2010
    That's the only thing I really can't understand. What is the difficulty of having an additional texture option for the legs? They even have an additional setting for Trills where you can set the color of the sparkles, so the engine should be capable of doing this.

The only explanation I currently have is either laziness or that the artists haven't really looked at the source material.

If anybody else can give me an other explanation it would be great, since both of them don't sound nice.

Not lazy but more like over taxed and/or poor planning. The game engine can handle it but time constraints could not.

My theory is they were under the gun to get released on Feb 2nd. They obviously did not have time to create different customizable assets for bare neckline & chest, bare midriffs, bare legs, etc. They had to release the game with uniforms that covered most everything except the face and hands. Male uniforms did this well, so the quickest thing to do is adapt male cosmetics for females.

This would explain why the TOS Female top is the male top. Why no TOS skirt at first - bare legs undone. (No authentic Female TOS mini-dress - bare neckline undone.) Why no female mirror tops - bare midriffs undone. Why the klingon faction had no females until very late in closed beta and why Orion Girls have the same ugly uniform.
    edited February 2010

How did they not have 7 months to work on it? They did announce them 7 months ago.
    edited February 2010
    PLEASE FIX THE ADMRIAL RANK INSIGNIA, THAT STUPID Thing around the neck looks bad!

The admrial ranking should look like a gold square with the pips in the middle!!!:mad:
    edited February 2010
    I noticed that the Star Trek Movie comm badge isn't available with the DS9 uniforms. I wish they were made available so I could make ST: Voyager replica unis.
    edited February 2010
    I noticed that the Star Trek Movie comm badge isn't available with the DS9 uniforms. I wish they were made available so I could make ST: Voyager replica unis.

Especially considering that the TNG "movie" comm badges are really the DS9 badges. They started using them when DS9 first aired.
    edited February 2010
    Thats weird. It was appropriate in primetime TV during family hour over 40 years ago......

Unless we're getting the Enterprise series mirror uniform top... mrowr!
    edited February 2010
    sovereign wrote: »
    Unless we're getting the Enterprise series mirror uniform top... mrowr!

They are pretty hot but not as hot as this
    suluuhura.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Not lazy but more like over taxed and/or poor planning. The game engine can handle it but time constraints could not.
    Then why there was no word that this version of the "TOS" uniform was just an interim solution?

Something like "We gave you a skirt, be patient, there is more comming"

Currently it seems they are done with it. However, no matter if they think their "interpretation" of the TOS dress is final or not, I would at least like to be informed about it.
    edited February 2010
    sovereign wrote: »
    Especially considering that the TNG "movie" comm badges are really the DS9 badges. They started using them when DS9 first aired.

You're close, but when DS9 first aired they used the TNG Series comm badge. DS9 then first switched to TNG Movie comm badge right around the time ST Generations and Voyager debuted. Voyager and all 4 TNG movies used the new badge.
    edited February 2010
    You're close, but when DS9 first aired they used the TNG Series comm badge. DS9 then first switched to TNG Movie comm badge right around the time ST Generations and Voyager debuted. Voyager and all 4 TNG movies used the new badge.

Ah heck, you're right. I bow to the bigger nerd. ;) Though, oddly, Voyager continued to use the original DS9 uniforms.

Retail stores poorly advertised the diff. between the TNG movie and DS9 uniforms, though. The back of the collectors edition clearly shows the difference, but the stores advertised the DS9 uniforms as the ones from the final seasons, which were the TNG movie uniforms.

The DS9 uniforms are like these and the TNG movie uniforms are these.

Trivia... what is the name of the rank pins?
    edited February 2010

Since Voyager was cut off from the Federation for several years they were kinda cut off from Federation Fashion Regulations too
    edited February 2010

I totally agree, I even made a thread about this back when this thread was assimilated by the Mirror Universe Uniform Missionaries (try saying that 5 times fast) prior to the dev post.
    edited February 2010
    Then why there was no word that this version of the "TOS" uniform was just an interim solution?

Something like "We gave you a skirt, be patient, there is more comming"

Currently it seems they are done with it. However, no matter if they think their "interpretation" of the TOS dress is final or not, I would at least like to be informed about it.

I believe part of the issue was the frakin huge Miniskirts Thread that existed prior to closed beta. The demand was very high (ppl even wanted the male skirt seen in TNG! LOL). I think they were hoping the current skirt would fill this demand since it can be customized with any top.

I think there was some failure in understanding that star trek fans want the exact uniforms they have been watching on TV for years. If this were Champions that skirt would be fine but it just won't cut it for this IP.

Hopefully this lesson has been learned and any future uniforms will be canon with all the details seen in the shows.
    edited February 2010
    not sure if this counts... but I don't have an option to have more than 1 uniform... everyone else I've talked to does... I'm a CAPTAIN now... everyone else says they got their FIRST extra slot at Commander... any help with this?
This discussion has been closed.