test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac version testing....

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    When I download star trek online all I get is this .exe file which only takes up 2 mb. I don't know what to do. I do what the directions say but I get nothing. When I download star trek online it gives me two options save as textedit or save file either way it doesn't work.
    edited March 2012
    cptravern wrote:
    When I download star trek online all I get is this .exe file which only takes up 2 mb. I don't know what to do. I do what the directions say but I get nothing. When I download star trek online it gives me two options save as textedit or save file either way it doesn't work.
    thats the downloader program that doesn't work... you have to download the full game, go check out the full game download at Fileplanet.com
    edited March 2012
    right tks I am downloading right now but why do they have that version there anyway then.
    edited March 2012
    cptravern wrote:
    right tks I am downloading right now but why do they have that version there anyway then.

Because this is a windows only game and the downloader works perfectly fine for windows.

This thread is about an unofficial Mac version, no one at Cryptic has anything to do with it.
    edited March 2012
    I have downloaded the game and unzipped it but I don't know what to do now all I get is a folder with three items in it and the setup.exe thing. I also get no cryptic folder.
    edited March 2012
    Just read the Directions.pdf included with the unofficial mac version you downloaded. It explains what to do and answers a lot of the most common questions.
    edited March 2012
    it doesn't I've read but i'll check again
    edited March 2012
    Sorry for the double post but it worked and I am so excited thank you doh123 for this marvel and I hope cryptic learns you can't keep macs down forever.
    edited March 2012
    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but when I went to load my character it says cryptic error. I can choose to submit a report and then it quits the game is there a solution to this. Now when ever it gets to the character load screen it fails on me:(
    edited March 2012
    cptravern wrote:
    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but when I went to load my character it says cryptic error. I can choose to submit a report and then it quits the game is there a solution to this. Now when ever it gets to the character load screen it fails on me:(

trying going into safe mode once (options link at log in), and adjust your graphics settings in the game down some.
    edited March 2012
    ok so I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but the game went free online in january and I have a mac. So I used this but it would be stupid to go try to find the disc now. So when wineskin asks for a place to install (which should be setup.exe) I don't have it. It also says that you can download it from a torrent? Can I have a link to this download because I couldn't find it... Anyway I would just really like to play this on my mac but I wouldn't go out and pay money for something that should be free now...
    edited March 2012
    Cryptic removed the torrent for some reason, but fileplanet still has the client.

http://www.fileplanet.com/208701/200000/fileinfo/Star-Trek-Online-Client
    edited March 2012
    Hi Everyone

I played this game when it was first launched and I loved every second of it. Well I stopped playing for a while and now my girlfriend has recently discovered it and she is hooked. I am still a mac user so I went right off and I redownloaded it and it still works amazingly. Thanks again!
    edited March 2012
    Thx for doing this! I've been playing on my mac for a bit with this now that I've learned what can cause issues I've learned to work around them. Gameplay is at about 90% which is totally acceptable for the casual gamer.
    edited March 2012
    okaybuddy wrote:
    Thx for doing this! I've been playing on my mac for a bit with this now that I've learned what can cause issues I've learned to work around them. Gameplay is at about 90% which is totally acceptable for the casual gamer.

Just out of curiosity, what work arounds have you found?? This may help me and others find the right settings to minimize crashing
    edited April 2012
    Mine's worked fine, patched all the way up, logging in okay. It gets through the Cryptic loading screen, but freezes on the star trek logo screen saying "loading" and doesn't do anything.

I saw that someone else was having this issue but never saw the actual fix. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for this awesome work!

EDIT: Toggled safe mode on, works amazingly now. Not a single holdup at all. Might wanna mention the Safe mode toggle on the main page as it kinda makes/breaks this.
    edited April 2012
    Quick question - anyone tried this on a 13" Macbook Air i5?
    edited April 2012
    This is amazing, My computer is out with a motherboard issue and BestBuy is taking their dear sweet time, but my partner's mac has been sitting beside me, taunting me for days now.... I'm patching right now and so stoked to get back online. Thank you. This is awesome.
    edited April 2012
    tobar26th wrote:
    Quick question - anyone tried this on a 13" Macbook Air i5?

it shouldn't have a problem...
    edited April 2012
    doh123 : THANK YOU Soooooo Much a buddy give me his old iMac and I just using it mess around look online run STO on Mac found your post T%HANKS SO MUCH your work is great!!!

I am new at Mac stuff so my question is do I keep the STO logo in that folder with the pdf on that folder or can I put in the apps folder...

Again WONDERFUL JOB THANK YOU now I can play online on the iMac 27' Widescreen STO WOW!!!

THANK YOU
    :):):):)
    edited April 2012
    you can put the App in whatever Folder you want as long as its a normal volume you have read and write access to... most people I guess would put it in Applications
    edited April 2012
    I'm one of the unlucky ones with a Intel GMA950... I figured I'd give it a shot anyway and go through the process... Got all the way up to getting the game patched, went to run it, and got the unsupported video card error... Anything I can do to make this work???
    edited April 2012
    Unfortunately I think you are out of luck. :(

An Intel GMA950 isnt even supported under Windows. The minimum required is an Intel HD graphics. Those were released 5 YEARS after the GMA950.

We are lucky we can play on the Mac at all. It even crashes every few hours on a good system.
    edited April 2012
    doh123 wrote: »
    you can put the App in whatever Folder you want as long as its a normal volume you have read and write access to... most people I guess would put it in Applications

Thank you very much for the feedback....
    edited April 2012
    Ignore this post...change of luck.
    edited April 2012
    Thank you for this as both a mac user and a Star Trek fan.

One day I hope it is supported natively but until then this will do fine.
    edited April 2012
    The new Steam release of The Witcher is officially made and supported with Wineskin... Where hobbyists couldn't get it running perfectly, the minor issues were able to be fixed by the makers of the game to build a version that ran in Wineskin just fine. Its possible that could be done for STO as well.
    edited April 2012
    I have downloaded the Wineskin app onto my mac and open the app but when i goto install windows software and select the STO.exe file it says busy for a second then pulls up a choose executable scree where i select the file again but nothing happens. There is also a file that says I have the game on my mac but when I goto open it to download it opens fight but I press agree it opens a download progress bar and says executing pre-installation actions but does nothing, just stays on that screen. Please help with getting this working and downloaded, Hope I made enough sense haha
    edited April 2012
    Hi, I'm having some graphics issues running STO on my 2010 17-inch MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7CPU, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 512 MB VRAM, OSX 10.6.8 fully up to date.

Everything runs smooth, but certain graphics eliminates or animations are completely missing. Scanning for anomalies lacks the light flare that points you in the proper direction of the anomaly. In fact scanning anything lacks that animation. During battle, when ships are destroyed they do not catch fire before they explode. They just stop moving then eventually blow up.

I am also experiencing major screen glitches at space dock or other high-traffic areas. Random geometric shapes dance all over the screen. Sometimes it gets so bad it looks like a white or yellow grid (like wireframe) appears everywhere you look. It gets worse when you enable Astrometrics. Wow, what a light show.

I've spent hours messing with the video setting to try to resolve both of these issues. I've even had a few STO Mac friends come over and work over my settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything else seems to work just great.

Thanks!
    edited April 2012
    I have downloaded the Wineskin app onto my mac and open the app but when i goto install windows software and select the STO.exe file it says busy for a second then pulls up a choose executable scree where i select the file again but nothing happens. There is also a file that says I have the game on my mac but when I goto open it to download it opens fight but I press agree it opens a download progress bar and says executing pre-installation actions but does nothing, just stays on that screen. Please help with getting this working and downloaded, Hope I made enough sense haha
    because you downloaded the downloader... the exe you download from STO officially is not really STO, its just a program that downloads STO for you... it will NOT work. You need to go download the full game yourself first, which is several gb in size and takes a while. You should be able to find a full download over at fileplanet.com.

framitz wrote:
    Hi, I'm having some graphics issues running STO on my 2010 17-inch MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7CPU, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 512 MB VRAM, OSX 10.6.8 fully up to date.

Everything runs smooth, but certain graphics eliminates or animations are completely missing. Scanning for anomalies lacks the light flare that points you in the proper direction of the anomaly. In fact scanning anything lacks that animation. During battle, when ships are destroyed they do not catch fire before they explode. They just stop moving then eventually blow up.

I am also experiencing major screen glitches at space dock or other high-traffic areas. Random geometric shapes dance all over the screen. Sometimes it gets so bad it looks like a white or yellow grid (like wireframe) appears everywhere you look. It gets worse when you enable Astrometrics. Wow, what a light show.

I've spent hours messing with the video setting to try to resolve both of these issues. I've even had a few STO Mac friends come over and work over my settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything else seems to work just great.

Thanks!
    Other than playing with your graphics settings, I'm not sure what else to tell you... others have played with 330ms and not reported issues like that...
This discussion has been closed.