test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac version testing....

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Hello i have been playing this for a couple days now. it worked fine the first few times but recently its just started crashing like crazy half way through loading screens and 2 minutes after the load is complete. i any help would be appreciated :)

these are my specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
    edited April 2012
    Hello i have been playing this for a couple days now. it worked fine the first few times but recently its just started crashing like crazy half way through loading screens and 2 minutes after the load is complete. i any help would be appreciated :)

these are my specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6

on the STO log in page click Options up top and boot Safe mode... you'll have to reset your graphics settings but you should at least be able to get in. Next time you start up you may want to take Safe Mode back off... but if it crashes again it means your set something in the graphics settings that you shouldn't be setting.
    edited April 2012
    doh123 wrote: »
    on the STO log in page click Options up top and boot Safe mode... you'll have to reset your graphics settings but you should at least be able to get in. Next time you start up you may want to take Safe Mode back off... but if it crashes again it means your set something in the graphics settings that you shouldn't be setting.

thanks for the reply. its working now. :D
    edited April 2012
    I'm having some problems as well on my 27 inch iMac 2010 with 2,66 i5 quad-core,16gb ram, Ati Radeon HD 4850 512mb and with mac os x lion (10.7.3), most of the problems have to do with the connection and the antialiasing.

When I turn it of all the displays and character are shown high-quality, but glass and space are shown with stripes. Like codes from the matrix, and when I turn the antialiasing on, the displays and characters get blurred and the glass and such is turned normal.
    edited April 2012
    Downloaded wineskin and STO about 4 days ago. Having a great time, thank you for making this port fo us mac users.

Specs:

iMac, 2.8ghz intel core i5, 4 cores, 4gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1gb vRAM

Only issue I've run into is once when I was adjusting resolution in-game the game crashed. I tried to recreate and it has not happened again.

Once again thanks for porting this.
    edited April 2012
    this game has been working fine for me for about a month now, but now after i crashed, when i tried to get back on instead of getting a launcher im getting a white screen.
    any tips?
    edited April 2012
    luke3424 wrote:
    this game has been working fine for me for about a month now, but now after i crashed, when i tried to get back on instead of getting a launcher im getting a white screen.
    any tips?

The first thing I'd try is moving the game install over into a fresh copy of the wrapper.
    edited April 2012
    i tried reinstalling the entire game, right now its patching hopefully that works also
    update: everything seems to be working fine now:)
    edited April 2012
    I have installed it, carefully following the directions. However, when I run it, a black screen popped up with a cryptic error. When I did the correction said in the PDF it did not work. The Exe that wine is saying that it's running is, strangely, called /program files/Cryptic Studios/CrypticError.exe. I think that this is the wrong .exe file, and I am asking one question. What is the correct .exe file to run so that I can find it?

Edit- Found a file called Star Trek Online.exe, however now wineskin is giving me an error message saying ERROR: Launching winserver failed. No no wineserver PID found.
    edited April 2012
    I have installed it, carefully following the directions. However, when I run it, a black screen popped up with a cryptic error. When I did the correction said in the PDF it did not work. The Exe that wine is saying that it's running is, strangely, called /program files/Cryptic Studios/CrypticError.exe. I think that this is the wrong .exe file, and I am asking one question. What is the correct .exe file to run so that I can find it?

Edit- Found a file called Star Trek Online.exe, however now wineskin is giving me an error message saying ERROR: Launching winserver failed. No no wineserver PID found.

shouldn't happen if the other tried to run... its possible running crypticerror causes stuck Wine processes. You can go in Wineskin.app Advanced and try Kill all Wineskin processes and/or reboot and try to run it again.
    edited April 2012
    Tried killing wineskin process and rebooting. Gave me a black screen.

Edit- it works. Ignore this post.
    edited April 2012
    I updated the first post with a 1.4.0....
    I'm not sure it really works much better, but its built off Wineskin 2.5.5 (which means no more OSX 10.5 support, you have to have 10.6+)... so even if it seems the same it should be running better behind the scenes. Most games are getting a performance boost with 2.5.5, mainly from updated Mesa (OpenGL) and not having to support 10.5.
    edited April 2012
    It seems to me that the engine for STO UMV 1.4.0 needed to be built with no Xinput2, the problem I have is that with 1.5.1NoXInput2, while the mouse works, something with the build of OpenGL/Mesa included with that WSEngine makes CVMCompiler (the osx opengl shader compiler) go to 100% for quite a few minutes, where as the engine included with 1.4, does not do that, but the mouse control does not seem to work quite right in my initial testing.

*Edit*
    Scratch that I need to do more testing before I can pinpoint what's doing odd things, more on this later.
    edited April 2012
    Crusher4 wrote: »
    It seems to me that the engine for STO UMV 1.4.0 needed to be built with no Xinput2, the problem I have is that with 1.5.1NoXInput2, while the mouse works, something with the build of OpenGL/Mesa included with that WSEngine makes CVMCompiler (the osx opengl shader compiler) go to 100% for quite a few minutes, where as the engine included with 1.4, does not do that, but the mouse control does not seem to work quite right in my initial testing.

hmmm.. I didn't see any mouse issues. i can do a 1.5.0 with no Xinput2 for it if you think that'll help. 1.5.1+ has graphics changes that i find still kinda buggy and cause big frame rate problems on ATI/AMD cards.
    edited April 2012
    hmmm.. I didn't see any mouse issues. i can do a 1.5.0 with no Xinput2 for it if you think that'll help. 1.5.1+ has graphics changes that i find still kinda buggy and cause big frame rate problems on ATI/AMD cards.

Ok, well I'll do some more testing later tonight, I dropped back to 1.3.2 for a bit here because some friends wanted to play the weekend special mission, but when that's over I'll see if I can pinpoint my issue.
    edited April 2012
    I just confirmed that with STO UMV 1.4.0 fresh, that mouse look ends up looking at the celling or the ground and not much else. I'd be happy to test if you uploaded a WS8 or WS9 1.5.0 no Xinput2 to wineskin winery.
    edited April 2012
    I just stuck STO UMV 1.4.1 up.. its the same thing but its using a Wine 1.4 build with Xinput2 disabled. Xinput 2 shouldn't be needed since the mouse worked fine in older Wine versions in STO before Xinput2 usage started.
    edited April 2012
    I just stuck STO UMV 1.4.1 up.. its the same thing but its using a Wine 1.4 build with Xinput2 disabled. Xinput 2 shouldn't be needed since the mouse worked fine in older Wine versions in STO before Xinput2 usage started.

So far STO UMV 1.4.1 is working gloriously.

The mousewheel seems to be laggier than it used to be. in 1.3.2, but other mousing seems normal so far.

*Edit* Updated with more 1.4.1 impressions:

Logged on a few times just to do duty officer missions, loading time seems much improved on both my 2010 Mac Pro and my 2011 MacBook Pro, and on the mac book pro, loading is now on par with what I remember back when I used to run STO natively under windows in bootcamp.

In game performance seems somewhat improved as well, but I have not yet had time to play enough to fully evaluate it.

So far you have my compliments on STO UMV 1.4.1. I'll report back if the long term stability seems improved as well (over 1.5-2hrs on my Mac Pro always seems to crash out with 1.2 and 1.3 series).
    edited April 2012
    Forgive me if this has been answered already but do you post release notes for each verson of the wrapper? I'd be interested to see what things are new and what things I should test.

Thanks!
    EB
    edited April 2012
    ebeyer wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has been answered already but do you post release notes for each verson of the wrapper? I'd be interested to see what things are new and what things I should test.

Thanks!
    EB

This is basically nothing special... I just updated to Wineskin 2.5.5 for better performance since I just finally got it done and released. Its basically a much newer build of everything needed for WineskinX11 (xorg-server for windowing) along with the newest Mesa build (for OpenGL), all built for 10.6+ instead of 10.5... so it should just be stability and performance improvements for Wineskin in general... which may or may not help with STO depending where its problems are. Its also using a much newer stock build of Wine... 1.4.0 with Xinput2 disabled (because Xinput2 support on XQuartz/WineskinX11/OSX is still a bit lacking... and causes problems in games... luckily the features STO needs doesn't really require Xinput2 to work right like some games do).

Overall hopefully people will just see stability and performance changes.
    edited April 2012
    My first impression of 1.4 is that the mouse sensitivity is way too great - I can't pan around at all without the whole screen flipping around over and over. I adjusted the mouse look sensitivity to minimum but this doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: 1.4.1 seems to have fixed the mouse problem.
    edited April 2012
    Hi there, so I've just downloaded the necessary bits and bobs from the first post to make this happen and looked at the youtube tutorial on how to get this all working.

Here's my issue:

I purchased the Digital Deluxe version through Steam when STO was first released, I cancelled my subscription and sold my old gaming PC when I moved from the UK to Canada about 18 months ago.
    These days I'm running a Mac, hence why I'm trying to run this workaround. However, because I have the digital Steam version, with no disk, and seeing as how I sold my old rig, I don't know how I can get ahold of the Cryptic folder. Seeing as how Steam will not let me download and install STO on a Mac, and the downloader from the STO site is of course a Windows file, and I don't own a CD I'm somewhat stuck.

I thought about installing through VMWare Fusion which I have on my Mac with a Windows 7 VM, however VMWare Fusion seems to have an issue I have yet to solve whereby it cannot detect the shared internet connection.

And I can't run Bootcamp because I need to backup and reformat my Mac in order for Bootcamp to be able to create a Windows partition (I get an error when trying to partition through Bootcamp that some files cannot be moved and therefore it cannot make a partition, and recommends a backup and reformat using Disk Utility). At present I have no form of removable media or additional drive large enough to accommodate a backup of that size.

So at the moment I either need to buy a disk, or buy an external hard drive, neither of which are options I'm really wishing to consider seeing as how I've already paid for the game and have no wish to spend any more.

Any other suggestions?
    edited April 2012
    HorusLP wrote: »
    Hi there, so I've just downloaded the necessary bits and bobs from the first post to make this happen and looked at the youtube tutorial on how to get this all working.

Here's my issue:

I purchased the Digital Deluxe version through Steam when STO was first released, I cancelled my subscription and sold my old gaming PC when I moved from the UK to Canada about 18 months ago.
    These days I'm running a Mac, hence why I'm trying to run this workaround. However, because I have the digital Steam version, with no disk, and seeing as how I sold my old rig, I don't know how I can get ahold of the Cryptic folder. Seeing as how Steam will not let me download and install STO on a Mac, and the downloader from the STO site is of course a Windows file, and I don't own a CD I'm somewhat stuck.

I thought about installing through VMWare Fusion which I have on my Mac with a Windows 7 VM, however VMWare Fusion seems to have an issue I have yet to solve whereby it cannot detect the shared internet connection.

And I can't run Bootcamp because I need to backup and reformat my Mac in order for Bootcamp to be able to create a Windows partition (I get an error when trying to partition through Bootcamp that some files cannot be moved and therefore it cannot make a partition, and recommends a backup and reformat using Disk Utility). At present I have no form of removable media or additional drive large enough to accommodate a backup of that size.

So at the moment I either need to buy a disk, or buy an external hard drive, neither of which are options I'm really wishing to consider seeing as how I've already paid for the game and have no wish to spend any more.

Any other suggestions?

an STO account is an STO account.. forget Steam and just go get the full client from Fileplanet, install it, and log in with your old account info.
    edited April 2012
    OK, so I downloaded the fileplanet version, installed it, patched it, all find, it will clear the initial loading screen with the progress bar and Cryptic logo, the secondary loading screen with the Starfleet insignia, and the word, "Loading", below it however, it does not seem to be able to get past no matter how long it is left. Hitting command+h will restore me to my desktop but the application crashes when I do that.

Running a Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3, nVidia Geforce 9400M 256MB.
    OS X Version 10.6.8.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, currently working on the assumption it's video related.
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the update!
    edited April 2012
    HorusLP wrote: »
    OK, so I downloaded the fileplanet version, installed it, patched it, all find, it will clear the initial loading screen with the progress bar and Cryptic logo, the secondary loading screen with the Starfleet insignia, and the word, "Loading", below it however, it does not seem to be able to get past no matter how long it is left. Hitting command+h will restore me to my desktop but the application crashes when I do that.

Running a Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3, nVidia Geforce 9400M 256MB.
    OS X Version 10.6.8.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, currently working on the assumption it's video related.

I'm getting the same thing now after updating to 1.4.1.

Using safe mode no longer helps; tried refreshing the wrapper which fixed the issue before but no luck.

This is what the test run reports:

WineskinX11: main(): argc=10
    Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.
    WineskinX11: do_start_x11_server(): argc=10
    Attempting to use pixel depth of 24
    [4019075.780] WineskinX11 starting:
    [4019075.780] X.Org X Server 1.12.99.0
    [4019075.780] Build Date: 20120410
    [4019075.781] _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.
    [4019075.808] (II) GLX: Initialized Core OpenGL GL provider for screen 0

Edit: Downloadied a fresh copy of 1.4.1 seemed to fix the issue; but attempting to change the resolution in Wineskin caused the app to crash again, changing the resolution back to the default didn't fix the issue either.
    edited April 2012
    Managed to get it working eventually, had to leave it a long time to load then drop the graphics options to the lowest possible point, but now it runs, took a good 5-10 mins to get ingame, but now all it well.
    edited April 2012
    Theres some un-found bugs in XQuartz that causes crashes in certain screen resolution changes depending on whats going on...

It should not crash though as long as the "override -> fullscreen" option is set in Wineskin.app (because Wine is running a virtual desktop and changing is stable that way). Just make sure the resolution set in there is the same as what you have set in STO... I think i left it at 1280x800 and maybe some machines don't like that setting?
    edited April 2012
    Theres some un-found bugs in XQuartz that causes crashes in certain screen resolution changes depending on whats going on...

It should not crash though as long as the "override -> fullscreen" option is set in Wineskin.app (because Wine is running a virtual desktop and changing is stable that way). Just make sure the resolution set in there is the same as what you have set in STO... I think i left it at 1280x800 and maybe some machines don't like that setting?

Hi Doh,

I do have it set to Override -> full screen and when left at the default setting of 1280x800 the game runs fine.

If I change the resolution to anything else the game crashes right after clicking the engage button, the loading screen doesn't even pop up it just crashes. If i set the resolution back to 1280x800 after changing it the game still crashes.

When I download a fresh copy of the wrapper and don't touch any settings the game runs at 1280x800...it's odd.
    edited April 2012
    Looks like my STO files became corrupt somehow....I simply deleted everything and redownloaded all the gigs of data. Seems to be working like normal again.

Edit: After todays patch I'm back to where I started...crashing right after clicking Engage. Guess I'll try deleting everything again.
This discussion has been closed.