test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proof that Starfleet is a naval force (military)

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'm sorry, you had something to say about the massive list of military traits of Star Fleet in episode after episode vs. two characters blurting out "but we're not really military'? With other characters just as plainly blurting out 'yeah, you are.'

What rule of screen writing did you have in mind?

I won't repeat myself. All your definitions and hints are irrelevant since undisputed exposition dialogue says Starfleet isn't a military organisation (That does not mean they don't perform military tasks - has nothing to do with this). You have to go from there. That's simply how canon works and this has nothing to do with politics, ideologies or anything else. Until you understand that there is no point in going on.

EDIT: Maybe as a last hurrah.

The Star Trek canon timeline begins with ENT and ends with Nemesis. In ENT, United Earth Starfleet started out completely unarmed, a exploration service for UESPA. They found out going unarmed into space is a bad idea. Halfway through they took the military on board out of necessity. At some point after the foundation of the UFP, militaries were disbanded and their personnel and functions integrated into Starfleet. That doesn't make Starfleet a military organisation, it just means they absorbed militaries and their tasks. This never changed in Star Trek canon, ever.

Do they act as the UFPs military? Yes.
    Are they a military organisation? No.
    Does that fit real life definition of 21st century militaries? Probably not, but it also doesn't matter.
    How dow e know that? It is how Screenwriting, exposition and worldbuilding in a fictional scenario work.

Not that hard.​​
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    If Starfleet isn't the military, the primary force that has to deal with war and combat, who is it? And why am I, a Starfleet captain, doing their job most of the time?

Give it a break guys. Star Trek wasn't about war and combat. It was about exploration, diplomacy, the place of man in the universe etc. etc, and sometimes it was about war, sometimes. But that doesn't make a good pew, pew, pew game. So Starfleet might not be the main military organisation in Star Trek, it is in Star Trek Online.

I don't mind the way it is. If you do not like the pew pew pew, level up and play foundry missions (or make them). There are enough that are not about combat.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    What rule of screen writing did you have in mind?

Not only screen writing but writing in general, I think it can be best shown with the following example:
    When common sense and logic both point to a few lines of dialogue being incorrect, then clearly the characters in question were wrong when they said them. It's canon that those words were said, but there is nothing else in canon to back them up (...)

This goes against conventions about storytelling. We only have limited time in any medium, so we avoid stuff like people being wrong, people stuttering, or similar. Unless it is in itself a plot point that somebody is unreliable or some topic is controversial, if a person makes a factual statement in a medium to further exposition, this is to be taken as fact and that is what canon is. Canon is what is stated on the screen, not what we infer from it, no matter how logical it may be. This counts for books, movies, TV series, games, comics, whatever. And yes, sometimes media play with these conventions for artistic purposes, but Star Trek doesn't really do that.

Due to mistakes and sometimes bad writing, canon gets self-contradictory, silly, illogical, but it stays canon until the owner of the IP explicitely kicks something out as a mistake, we cannot rule something out because it seems wrong to us.

Do I personally think that Starfleet is primarily a military organization? Yes, I do. But it is definitely not canon, it is my opinion. And opinions can differ here. Some say, as soon as Starfleet is the go-to force with the weapons if the evil Klink/Borg/Species of the week raises its head, it is a military, regardless of whatever else it does, because 21st century real life militaries can do and actually do this stuff as well (science, exploration, construction work, disaster relief). Others say that the primary motivation behind starfleet is not to provide safety but to explore, and like many ships in the past this means carrying a certain battle capacity, so while it has a military branch or a military part of the job description, it is primarily an exploratory arm.

Then there is the thing about ST being a couple of years into the future - if we go back the same time into the past, we would actually still have had captains as judges on ships in some navies. So things change. The fact that SF uses military ranks? Could easily become common for everything non military. A "navy" could easily mean any group of vessels from the same organization. So we would have to change our understanding, but that can easily happen in a couple of hundred years (with some wars inbetween to mix things up from "just going forward like they are today")

Then again, that interpretation goes against another storytelling convention, which is "world is as ours unless stated otherwise". So unless it is a plot points that things or terms change, it's better they don't. Even if the CEO of a company would get the title of "His holyness the high priest" in the 25th century, it would be best to name him "CEO" within our show, translate it if you will like you would translate from Russian, translate as you do with many historic settings. Even with contemporary settings we sometimes "translate", after WWII, Japan was for a while forbidden to have a military, but had a very well equipped police force.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why are you so afraid of the word "military"? Why does it bother you that Starfleet might be made up of a cadre of dedicated, highly-trained men and women and others who have sworn their lives to a cause greater than themselves?​​

First I could turn this around: why are you so afraid to consider "a cadre of dedicated, highly-trained men and women and others who have sworn their lives to a cause greater than themselves" as happening outside of a military? After all, military people are just human beings, no better nor worse than others, and militaries have in history been doing good things and bad things, have been highly trained or just a bunch of vigilantes with barely a structure. When you have said you feel insulted by the classification of real life military as less than your very high standard noted above, then well, that view you have isn't everybody's. And I guess you even would agree if we were to talk about a different one than the one you're referring to (I guess the US military, but there are others out there).

But yes, more importantly, Roddenberry as well as later runners of the franchise, obviously see the idea of a military in a less than stellar light. Especially since historically most militaries have been as much about offense, i. e. kicking the other guy in the gonads, as they have been about defense. So a Starfleet is shown that is no military to show that it is not about conquest, not about ruling over others. You may disagree, I may disagree, but that is how it is in this fictional universe. Yes, Star Trek is "Space Hippies" in many things. And that is what "canon" is. If you don't like it, you can build your headcanon, but don't try to convince others that your way of seeing it is how they should be seeing it if canon is on their side. Canon may be silly and not working, but it is how this universe is run.

tldr:
    Is Starfleet a military organization in today's terms? - Depends on your definition of "military organization" because it does not really fit with anything we have today. In my definition it is.

Do Starfleet personnel within the show consider themselves military? - No

Is it canon that Starfleet is non-military? - Yes, however little sense that makes to any of us.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Because the observable facts of the setting are now to be dismissed as opinion.

When you dismiss the rules of screenwriting as opinion, this is fair pig-3.gif​​

Considering the writers over all the different shows contradicted themselves almost episode to episode you can't really go by the writers to begin with.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »
    Considering the writers over all the different shows contradicted themselves almost episode to episode you can't really go by the writers to begin with.

@xyquarze did invest time and effort to write about this issue just above your posting. pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    A lot of people seem to be making the falacy of assuming that a defence force has to be a military organization.

Now, as far as my opinion on this, Starfleet is not a military organization in the same way that the current militaries are. They are fleet, and they do follow naval traditions (not all of which are military), they do have ranks, but their primary mission is not defense. Starfleet is an exploration fleet that, when the Federation needs it, acts as it's defense force. Otherwise it's generally out exploring.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Is this thread for real? Are you guys not just pulling everyone's leg?
    What are we supposed to do else? No new Season announcements, no new leaks (or all leaks behind a password or a lot of manual datamining), no ship announcements. We need something to obsess over.

And it can't be that "Cardassian are misunderstood" shtick, it's too ridicilous.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be making the falacy of assuming that a defence force has to be a military organization.
    the problem with this idea is that it's ignoring the amount of training required. It requires a lot of training to do effective combat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    Olivia, "having a military" and "being militaristic" are not synonyms. Or are you accusing Canada of being a militaristic nation because of the existence of the Royal Canadian Armed Forces?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Olivia, "having a military" and "being militaristic" are not synonyms. Or are you accusing Canada of being a militaristic nation because of the existence of the Royal Canadian Armed Forces?​​

Yeah this part is a problem. Just because the US has a military doesn't make it a militaristic society like, say, North Korea. There's a major difference.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    the problem with this idea is that it's ignoring the amount of training required. It requires a lot of training to do effective combat.

I think this harks back to the different definitions of what constitutes a "military". Not everybody agrees that the moment you have trained combatants, they automatically make you a military. Apart from the fact that in some countries the police would qualify, the idea is (or seems to be) that the part of Starfleet that is actually doing military stuff (which we are watching a lot of) is not what defines Starfleet.

Consider that a country puts all services it provides to its citizens under one huge umbrella organization. Public schools, hospitals, police, state run TV or radio, calling it "National Services". Would NatServ be a police force? No, it would contain one, but it would not be one itself.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »
    (...)
    Consider that a country puts all services it provides to its citizens under one huge umbrella organization. Public schools, hospitals, police, state run TV or radio, calling it "National Services". Would NatServ be a police force? No, it would contain one, but it would not be one itself.

This is the point here. As I stated somewhere else, Starfleet started out as a completely unarmed UESPA branch. They found out it was a bad idea, so they armed themselves minimally. That also didn't go so well. At some point they needed the military on board for certain situations. Obviously they somewhere found the right balance as with the foundation of the UFP those militaries were disbanded but folded into Starfleet. The personnel and tactics and purposes were now PART of Starfleet, but it didn't change the nature of the service which is defined inc anon via "It's (Starfleet's) purpose is exploration" or "a humanitarian and peacekeeping armada". It might help to understand the background when one considers the UFP to be a interplanetary and most of all actually working version of the UN.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    NX-01 was designed to carry phase cannon, and did in fact carry nuclear missiles. She had to leave dock early in order to carry the Klingon back to his people before he died.

I don't know where you're getting this thing about "early Starfleet not being armed", but I think perhaps Weapons Officer Lt. Malcolm Reed might differ with you on that...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Star Trek has been predominantly about Starfleet and its ideals, a military organization that the Federation uses to archieve its goals, despite the existence of Federation civilians who captain non-Starfleet ships. Therefore, the Federation is a militaristic society.

Captain Balthazar Edison would like to have a word with you on that.

• Options
    NX-01 was designed to carry phase cannon, and did in fact carry nuclear missiles. She had to leave dock early in order to carry the Klingon back to his people before he died.

I don't know where you're getting this thing about "early Starfleet not being armed", but I think perhaps Weapons Officer Lt. Malcolm Reed might differ with you on that...

You are right, my bad. They left the dock without phase cannons but that wasn't planned. My ENT knowledge is not the most thorough as I only watched the show one time pig-2.gif Still, they were severly underarmed/geared for what they faced.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    (...)
    This is the point here. As I stated somewhere else, Starfleet started out as a completely unarmed UESPA branch. They found out it was a bad idea, so they armed themselves minimally. That also didn't go so well. At some point they needed the military on board for certain situations. Obviously they somewhere found the right balance as with the foundation of the UFP those militaries were disbanded but folded into Starfleet. The personnel and tactics and purposes were now PART of Starfleet, but it didn't change the nature of the service which is defined inc anon via "It's (Starfleet's) purpose is exploration" or "a humanitarian and peacekeeping armada". It might help to understand the background when one considers the UFP to be a interplanetary and most of all actually working version of the UN.​​
    but as a counter point... how much of what you listed is seen in the subject material as something that Starfleet actually does?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    but as a counter point... how much of what you listed is seen in the subject material as something that Starfleet actually does?

All of it, I'd say. Minus the unarmed frst part, that was a mistake on my end because the Enterprise went basically unarmed in the first episode but that was explained later on. The point still stands.

I have absolutely no problem with what Starfleet is said to be and what they do on screen. It works well enough. You have to keep in mind that a lot of emphasize especially later on is action, but that's for entertainment value. The research and exploration is often used as a plot point when the episode begins (while doing XY we received a distress call...) but is still undertaken even though we don't see all of it. Plenty of first contacts and peacekeeping, humanitarian aid, it's all in the mix. And what military tasks are performed still fit the definition in my book as I said, I am able to imagine that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    greyhame3 wrote: »

This still isn't a problem. Your making an assumption again.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    TNG's first season stated that Starfleet-officers get top-notch training for hand-to-hand combat, though it's made clear that it's meant for defense (as they demonstrate it with Ai-kido).

But again... Captain Balthazar Edison would like to have a word with anyone saying Starfleet is a military :D
  • Options
    TNG's first season stated that Starfleet-officers get top-notch training for hand-to-hand combat, though it's made clear that it's meant for defense (as they demonstrate it with Ai-kido).

But again... Captain Balthazar Edison would like to have a word with anyone saying Starfleet is a military :D

And when the going got tough, starfleet put it's war mode on and won the fight anyways. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck...
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    Don't you see where this is going?
    /snip

Signed off on March 5, 1968 by United States Rear Admiral Robert Reynolds Wooding.

Was Star Trek created to promote American fascism under the guise of "democracy"?

Wow....really? SERIOUSLY? This has to be some of the most OVER THE TOP tin foil hat stuff I've ever seen.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The troll is just sad the conversation went on without her. As an attention grabbing ploy I give it about a .9 on a scale of one to ten.
  • Options
    veraticusveraticus Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    The troll is just sad the conversation went on without her. As an attention grabbing ploy I give it about a .9 on a scale of one to ten.

Ditto.

Back on track however! Lol

General Starfleet personnel do not seem to receive effective combat training.
    (They wear standard uniforms into combat zones.../facepalm)

They receive a general all around type of training.
    Then they specialize, not unlike how we do today in our current education system.

It is shown repeatedly that when attacked Starfleet first finds itself on its back foot before finding equal standing with the enemy. We see that commanders with even mediocre strategic capabilities are shoved to the front and have to figure things out on the run, leading to horrible losses and defeats before victories start to occur.

We also are shown that there are hand to hand specialist and weapon specialists that offer training to other crew members throughout the show. Many of whom are so beyond helpless in defending themselves it is doubtful they received any prior training in it at all.

Then you have the Tactical Officers and personnel.
    These guys are the closest to the Military/Police that we see on screen.
    They are typically armed at all times with small arms of some sort.
    Have "heavy" weapons training. Increased ship wide presence in Red Alert circumstances.
    Knowledge of tactics, enemy strengths and weaknesses, past encounters with various enemies past and present.
    But they serve as a part of the whole and are not in control of but subject to and function within the organization for when they are needed. Generally seen as pretty bored.