test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do so many people believe the JJ Trek Movies are deserving of being called Trek?

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yeah the new trek films are much better than a LOT of the older trek stuff. The film from 09 is probably the third or fourth best of all the star trek films made so far. It was better than everything in enterprise and voyager without exception.
    Wow really?
    The new movies have better stories than Voyagers "Living witness" or "Distant Origin" for example?
    Why are the new movies better? Because they have bigger and better explosions?
    Or are they just cool because they promoted a cadet to captain.
    DS9's "Valiant" is a perfect example why that should not have happened in the movie.

Distant Origin was a stupid episode based on a stupid premise. The 2009 movie did what Rick Berman and Brannon Braga failed to do despite having all the resources to make it happen.

We finally had a Star Trek movie where romulans were the main villains.

The movie that Nemesis should have been, but they traded it for another stupid clone movie in a half-assed attempt to duplicate the formula of Wrath of Khan.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    bimbo models who fight karate while freefalling and exploding with flares.

So you admit to being some sort of sexist? You're calling these women empty headed and only worth their looks.
  • Options
    scarling wrote: »

So you admit to being some sort of sexist? You're calling these women empty headed and only worth their looks.

R7lj1wg.jpg

Not sure what would give anybody that idea.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    farmallm wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    Actually it wasn't an alternate universe until Narada Destroyed the Kelvin. They actually went back in time to the PRIME universe and it didn't change until said ship was destroyed.

Much like Back to the future part 2 where Biff tannen goes back into the past, changes history with that Sports alminac and then creates the alternate reality Marty and Doc Brown come into, and it isn't fixed till Marty and Doc go back in time and destroy the very thing alternating reality.

Infact Daniels said they decided to allow that reality to exist when they could of easily sealed it off by simply destroying the Narada before the Kelvin is destroyed and time would of gone in the way we all know from the TOS.

Just some fun facts.

If you look at the Kelvin, it showed it was an Alternative Universe from the start. It was not in the Prime Universe, then started from there. As the Kelvin had too many features that wasn't TOS design. Thus making it not part of the Prime Universe. Paying attention to ship details is all the proof you need.

Actually no. Granted it was bad design to do the opening scene of the Kelvin that way and bad modeling, but it was still the prime universe up until the point where everything changes AKA George Kirk dying the day his son James was born.

Had that anomaly not happened, it would of moved along as normal and this whole "Kelvin" universe would not exist. It's the basic theory behind the multiverse. You make one significant change in history and it comes out completely different.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    limonenwolflimonenwolf Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Distant Origin was a stupid episode based on a stupid premise.
    It was a creative story but i guess the lack of action and explosions didnt appeal to you.
    The 2009 movie did what Rick Berman and Brannon Braga failed to do despite having all the resources to make it happen.
    Star Trek 2009 was successful yes by tailoring it to the masses and with a stupid story based on a stupid premise ;)
    We finally had a Star Trek movie where romulans were the main villains.
    Well not exactly. Since Nero was a renegade it was "a" romulan and his crew not "the" romulans.
    in a half-assed attempt to duplicate the formula of Wrath of Khan.​​
    That pretty much sums up Into Darkness. Could not have said it better myself.

• Options

R7lj1wg.jpg

Not sure what would give anybody that idea.​​

So one scene out of all her other scenes is what you base that on? Good Job you are also part of the problem.
  • Options
    sulu_fencing.jpg
    I guess we will start calling sulu a bimbo?
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User

Yes, the men even more so. I like old people settin around philosophisin.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited July 2016
    poslash.JPG
    Just a couple of bimbos.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

R7lj1wg.jpg

Not sure what would give anybody that idea.

So one scene out of all her other scenes is what you base that on? Good Job you are also part of the problem.

Not really. Damon Lindelof pretty much admitted it was a bad idea to strip Carol Marcus down to her undies for cheap fanservice.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Archer-star-trek-enterprise-6857803.jpg
    Look at this sexy man meat. Such a bimbo.
  • Options
    49e7abbc10bda93ae6d10ab885af3e99.jpg
    Bimbo
  • Options
    Archer-star-trek-enterprise-6857803.jpg
    Look at this sexy man meat. Such a bimbo.

brokenbow_500.jpg

You requested fan service?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    1_123125_123050_2208438_2217710_090507_cb_picardtn.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg Bimbo. So go ahead and claim she was a bimbo when it was only one scene.
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    So one scene out of all her other scenes...
    While I may not agree on overly harsh estimation of JJ's movies, the problem with this particular character is that she doesn't have any meaningful scenes, in first place. Besides, demonstrating some skin of course. She is entirely redundant and useless and could have been easily cut out of the movie entirely.
    As well as Scotty's arc in SF;ID, by the way. Really looked as if Pegg squeezed some "important" scenes for his character from the writers.

• Options
    1_123125_123050_2208438_2217710_090507_cb_picardtn.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg Bimbo. So go ahead and claim she was a bimbo when it was only one scene.

Mr "Voted sexiest man alive". Oh he's total bimbo range. hue hue hue.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    doctors1.jpg
    Bimbo
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    T'pol was for the boys to look, I'll give you that, but the character had some depth with the drug addiction thing and the human/vulcan conflict. Everyone else depicted here is around or over 40. And all the shows had fat old people mixed with a few young instead of the frat party in space fast and furiousverse.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Context is important. Carol Marcus had barely any involvement with pushing the story of Into Darkness. You're comparing other characters who were stripped down for some reason or another that was important for the scene in question.

Carol Marcus was not an important character. She brought nothing to the movie. She was getting undressed in front of Kirk because of... reasons, I guess.
    Damon Lindelof: Why is Alice Eve in her underwear, gratuitously and unnecessarily, without any real effort made as to why in God’s name she would undress in that circumstance? Well there’s a very good answer for that. But I’m not telling you what it is. Because… uh… MYSTERY?

So there you have it. Captain Picard getting tortured and humiliated by Cardassians while naked is not equatable to Carol Marcus getting ready to do... whatever it is she was supposed to do in Into Darkness that required her to strip.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    TPol_and_Trip_neuropressure.jpg Tucker bimbo
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    I love these threads. Now I have to make more popcorn, and grab another beer. :)
  • Options
    Could you for the sake of this discussion stop with the image spamming every few seconds?
    Besides Sheldon is right. You have taken these pictures out of their context. You cant compare Chain of Command and the torture of Captain Picard with that dumb scene from Star Trek 2009 where Kirk is peeking while Uhura is changing her clothes or that pretty dumb scene with Carol Marcus.
    This discussion was much more productive before the image spamming started.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    scarling, stop shitting up the thread with inappropriate images

just because the mods aren't here, doesn't give you the right to violate forum rules​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    As i have mentioned several times, the kelvin timeline aka JJtrek may not be MY trek, but it IS trek its the next generations trek, i for one am glad it does exist it keeps trek alive, and alive for another generation to enjoy.
  • Options
    It's male curiosity that made Kirk turn around. Any female who's tried to dress around men knows this. It was more a real moment to me than a "mystery". Carol Marcus also had information for Kirk about her father and torpedoes that they did not have readily available.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It's male curiosity that made Kirk turn around. Any female who's tried to dress around men knows this.
    Lol. So you're saying that this scene is there to confirm yet another time that this verion of Kirk is an a-hole and a creep ? Okay.

• Options
    It's male curiosity that made Kirk turn around. Any female who's tried to dress around men knows this.
    Lol. So you're saying that this scene is there to confirm yet another time that this verion of Kirk is an a-hole and a creep ? Okay.

I'm not sexually repressed. I don't fault men for their natural curiosities. However devaluing a woman is something I do fault them for, that is a social problem handed down from generation to generation.
  • Options
    As i have mentioned several times, the kelvin timeline aka JJtrek may not be MY trek, but it IS trek its the next generations trek
    Is it Star Trek because it says so in the title?
    The similarities end with the title.
    i for one am glad it does exist it keeps trek alive, and alive for another generation to enjoy.
    You are glad that more movies are made you dont really like?
    It keeps trek alive? It has nothing to do with the former trek "it" keeps itself alive while burying the old trek.
    I can already hear the old argument that TOS fans didnt approve of TNG at first. TNG didnt wipe TOS away. The new "trek" certainly does wipe everything clean. That is quite a difference.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I don't fault men for their natural curiosities.
    Men's natural curiosity ? ROFL. And after THAT you accuse @sheldonlcooper of sexism ?

You know, when men like to peek at unknown or barely known women undressing without permission, usually people call it something different from "natural curiosity".

• Options
    It's male curiosity that made Kirk turn around. Any female who's tried to dress around men knows this. It was more a real moment to me than a "mystery". Carol Marcus also had information for Kirk about her father and torpedoes that they did not have readily available.

I've had plenty of females undress around me and I've never been curious enough to turn around, because I'm generally not an TRIBBLE and was usually too busy doing something else to think with my genitals at the time.

The audience knew Kirk was a jackass long before that scene, and didn't need Carol Marcus half-naked to push that particular narrative.

That information she had did absolutely nothing to help the Enterprise. Khan actually did more to inform Kirk and the rest of the crew than Carol Marcus did. You could actually remove her character entirely from the movie and everything would have unfolded exactly the same.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg