test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do so many people believe the JJ Trek Movies are deserving of being called Trek?

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    It keeps trek alive? It has nothing to do with the former trek "it" keeps itself alive while burying the old trek.
    I can already hear the old argument that TOS fans didnt approve of TNG at first. TNG didnt wipe TOS away. The new "trek" certainly does wipe everything clean. That is quite a difference.

Interesting comment... to those who don't like JJ Trek: would all the lens flare, focus on action, lack of exploration and social critiques have been more acceptable if it had been another crew doing different things rather than movies that are just retelling the same stories while making changes to all major characters to the point they're completely different (emotional Spock for example)?

Cause although I have stopped caring about the JJ Trek timeline and more or less accepted it, I can certainly understand that trying to rewrite established characters is not appreciated. And perhaps disrespectful.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    It keeps trek alive? It has nothing to do with the former trek "it" keeps itself alive while burying the old trek.
    I can already hear the old argument that TOS fans didnt approve of TNG at first. TNG didnt wipe TOS away. The new "trek" certainly does wipe everything clean. That is quite a difference.

Interesting comment... to those who don't like JJ Trek: would all the lens flare, focus on action, lack of exploration and social critiques have been more acceptable if it had been another crew doing different things rather than movies that are just retelling the same stories while making changes to all major characters to the point they're completely different (emotional Spock for example)?

Cause although I have stopped caring about the JJ Trek timeline and more or less accepted it, I can certainly understand that trying to rewrite established characters is not appreciated. And perhaps disrespectful.

Considering that the KT characters are actually entirely separate people from their Prime counterparts, I see no disrespect. This is canonically a different story, set in a different universe.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

Actually no. Granted it was bad design to do the opening scene of the Kelvin that way and bad modeling, but it was still the prime universe up until the point where everything changes AKA George Kirk dying the day his son James was born.

Had that anomaly not happened, it would of moved along as normal and this whole "Kelvin" universe would not exist. It's the basic theory behind the multiverse. You make one significant change in history and it comes out completely different.

So wrong.

To make a movie look like they went back in time. They need to look at the older stuff and actually use it. Therefor it will prove they went back in time.

The Kelvin does not and never will fit in the Prime time. And it didn't start at the Kelvin either, as the Kelvin proves it. And going by many other saying. "Its in the movies or TV then its Cannon"! Going by this is a big proof it existed in a whole new universe, not the Prime.

You can't make a change in history when its was already like that before you changed it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

Considering that the KT characters are actually entirely separate people from their Prime counterparts, I see no disrespect. This is canonically a different story, set in a different universe.

True. But these newer characters are the only ones that most people who only watched the movies will know. They may be different characters from an in-universe perspective, for those watching the movies they are THE Kirk, Spock, Uhura etc.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Alice Eve.

"You know, I was very, very proud of that scene," Eve says, now, noting that she worked out intensely to get the six-pack highlighted in the clip. "I’m really proud that I had that moment. And I don’t feel that there was anything about it other than a fit female character who also was capable of being a scientist, which is like most male superheroes — they’re fit and they’re capable of saving the world!"
    "I still remain, that was my decision," she says, firmly. "That was not something I was pushed into. I was not a victim."
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    Alice Eve.

"You know, I was very, very proud of that scene," Eve says, now, noting that she worked out intensely to get the six-pack highlighted in the clip. "I’m really proud that I had that moment. And I don’t feel that there was anything about it other than a fit female character who also was capable of being a scientist, which is like most male superheroes — they’re fit and they’re capable of saving the world!"
    "I still remain, that was my decision," she says, firmly. "That was not something I was pushed into. I was not a victim."

Thanks for arguing a point that literally nobody in this thread was making.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »

Actually no. Granted it was bad design to do the opening scene of the Kelvin that way and bad modeling, but it was still the prime universe up until the point where everything changes AKA George Kirk dying the day his son James was born.

Had that anomaly not happened, it would of moved along as normal and this whole "Kelvin" universe would not exist. It's the basic theory behind the multiverse. You make one significant change in history and it comes out completely different.

So wrong.

To make a movie look like they went back in time. They need to look at the older stuff and actually use it. Therefor it will prove they went back in time.

The Kelvin does not and never will fit in the Prime time. And it didn't start at the Kelvin either, as the Kelvin proves it. And going by many other saying. "Its in the movies or TV then its Cannon"! Going by this is a big proof it existed in a whole new universe, not the Prime.

You can't make a change in history when its was already like that before you changed it.

Even said it in the movie. Everything changed because of the Kelvin incident, or did you not pay attention. God I swear you're just going to cling to everything you can to avoid the truth.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    Why do people feel the need to try and impose their personal headcanon on the world around them? Even if one of you managed to bludgeon everyone else in the thread into submission with cunning arguments, it still won't make the reality of the current franchise any more to your liking. Times change; fans should too. :/
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    My enjoyment of Star Trek started with TNG and ended after Enterprise & Nemesis, all of which had some type of internal consistency not found in any other science fiction series and movies.

JJ Abrams stuff to me isn't Star Trek because if the artwork was altered, it would pass for yet another decent generic Sci-Fi that's fun to watch once and never think back on it, while Star Trek I can't get enough of watching over and over.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    oAddJpdm.jpg

XbBxdhim.jpg

Therefore Star Trek: First Contact isn't canon.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Yeah the new trek films are much better than a LOT of the older trek stuff. The film from 09 is probably the third or fourth best of all the star trek films made so far. It was better than everything in enterprise and voyager without exception.
    Wow really?
    The new movies have better stories than Voyagers "Living witness" or "Distant Origin" for example?
    Why are the new movies better? Because they have bigger and better explosions?
    Or are they just cool because they promoted a cadet to captain.
    DS9's "Valiant" is a perfect example why that should not have happened in the movie.

Distant Origin was a stupid episode based on a stupid premise. The 2009 movie did what Rick Berman and Brannon Braga failed to do despite having all the resources to make it happen.

We finally had a Star Trek movie where romulans were the main villains.

The movie that Nemesis should have been, but they traded it for another stupid clone movie in a half-assed attempt to duplicate the formula of Wrath of Khan.​​

If you remove Shinzon, replace him with Sela, and get rid of the ... weirder Reman moments, you'd have a decent movie. The Data/B4 sub plot almost demands Lore be included as well, but it might get a bit crowded if you did that.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Yeah the new trek films are much better than a LOT of the older trek stuff. The film from 09 is probably the third or fourth best of all the star trek films made so far. It was better than everything in enterprise and voyager without exception.
    Wow really?
    The new movies have better stories than Voyagers "Living witness" or "Distant Origin" for example?
    DS9's "Valiant" is a perfect example why that should not have happened in the movie.

Distant Origin was a stupid episode based on a stupid premise. The 2009 movie did what Rick Berman and Brannon Braga failed to do despite having all the resources to make it happen.

The movie that Nemesis should have been, but they traded it for another stupid clone movie in a half-assed attempt to duplicate the formula of Wrath of Khan.

If you remove Shinzon, replace him with Sela, and get rid of the ... weirder Reman moments, you'd have a decent movie. The Data/B4 sub plot almost demands Lore be included as well, but it might get a bit crowded if you did that.

So, if you gut the majority of the movie and replace it with something that isn't Berman and Braga phoning it in with minimal effort, you might get something halfway decent and watchable.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    Alice Eve.

YAY, somebody who isn't buying into this "objectification" noise.

What I mean by that is that everyone seems to be taking political correctness to frankly batshit insane levels in the name of "equality" or some such excuse, while the people they are ostensibly trying to protect often don't need or want that kind of help.

So no quoting me out of context.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Alice Eve.

YAY, somebody who isn't buying into this "objectification" noise.

What I mean by that is that everyone seems to be taking political correctness to frankly batshit insane levels in the name of "equality" or some such excuse, while the people they are ostensibly trying to protect often don't need or want that kind of help.

So no quoting me out of context.
    It's not politically correct to say she isn't a bimbo.

Bimbo:
    a foolish, stupid, or inept person.
    a man or fellow, often a disreputable or contemptible one.
    an attractive but stupid young woman, especially one with loose morals.
  • Options
    Wow really?

The movie that Nemesis should have been, but they traded it for another stupid clone movie in a half-assed attempt to duplicate the formula of Wrath of Khan.

So, if you gut the majority of the movie and replace it with something that isn't Berman and Braga phoning it in with minimal effort, you might get something halfway decent and watchable.​​

You could keep most of the plot the same, just instead of a Picard clone rallying the Remans, it would be a disgraced Sela using them to take over the RSE.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    True. But these newer characters are the only ones that most people who only watched the movies will know. They may be different characters from an in-universe perspective, for those watching the movies they are THE Kirk, Spock, Uhura etc.

Very true, many are like this as well. The guys at work thinks its a telling of Kirk and crew how they got started, before TOS came out.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    The girls and guys of Trek has always shown off their bodies. Its no big deal. I would love if they bring back those dresses again. :)

• Options
    Even said it in the movie. Everything changed because of the Kelvin incident, or did you not pay attention. God I swear you're just going to cling to everything you can to avoid the truth.

And your avoiding the truth. The Kelvin existed before the incident and it was not from the Prime. Cause your worried it will mess up your JJ Trek.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Very true, many are like this as well. The guys at work thinks its a telling of Kirk and crew how they got started, before TOS came out.

If one pays attention to the movie, it's not hard to notice. The dialogue made it clear. If one doesn't pay attention to the movie, one probably doesn't care enough to make this argument. That or one has the "it's new, so it sucks" mentality so ingrained in their mind, that it doesn't matter what the film is actually like.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    It makes no sense to argue that the USS Kelvin couldn't be from Prime because it doesn't fit with TOS. It isn't from the TOS period to begin with; it predates it. We don't know much about Starfleet at that point in Star Trek's history.

We had no reason to think ships like the Kelvin could have existed then; but, as of 2009, we do. It really is that simple.
  • Options

And your avoiding the truth. The Kelvin existed before the incident and it was not from the Prime. Cause your worried it will mess up your JJ Trek.

Even if that is true, it's entirely logical for events to change before Nero's arrival, since future, established time travel events (like First Contact for example) likely either won't happen now, or at least will happen differently.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    capnmanx wrote: »
    It makes no sense to argue that the USS Kelvin couldn't be from Prime because it doesn't fit with TOS. It isn't from the TOS period to begin with; it predates it. We don't know much about Starfleet at that point in Star Trek's history.

We had no reason to think ships like the Kelvin could have existed then; but, as of 2009, we do. It really is that simple.

Another thing that I consider is that we know that the timeline itself was altered with the destruction of the Kelvin, but we also don't know if anything from the, er, future Kelvin timeline actually went back even further in time at some point (or several points) and altered the timeline some more.

Much like in the prime timeline the protagonists of every show altered the prime timeline through the various time travel episodes, each with their own consequences.

This isn't something I think about a lot because time travel itself gives me a headache.

In short, we know the timeline was altered for sure by the Kelvin's destruction, but it's ambiguous over whether or not it was altered several more times as the years went on.

For all we know, Kelvin timeline Picard had to fly the Kelvin timeline Enterprise-E back in time to make sure that the Kelvin was sent to the 'lightning storm in space' to ensure the Kelvin timeline happened to begin with.

Again, headache-inducing stuff. But not unheard of.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    doesnt matter what JJ did, but dont forget DS9's episode with tribble time travel story.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

If one pays attention to the movie, it's not hard to notice. The dialogue made it clear. If one doesn't pay attention to the movie, one probably doesn't care enough to make this argument. That or one has the "it's new, so it sucks" mentality so ingrained in their mind, that it doesn't matter what the film is actually like.

However the ship itself didn't fit in to the Prime time line, so therefor it existed before the time changed. As the technology was different.

IF they wanted it to be Prime, the ship will be more TOS based. Not like the newer KT Enterprise that was built afterwards. As they shared the same Tech, where the Kelvin didn't share any of the TOS tech. Thus making it a different Universe all together, and never part of the Prime. The ship itself speaks for itself.

Dialog is also not really right either. That stuff changes over the movies. Example, V'Ger in the original was 82 AUs, later in the Directors Edition it went to 2 AUs.

The issue here, I'm showing proof how they messed up when making the movie. By busting up their idea of its just a trip in time, where they went in time and different Universe. Like Earth and Earth-2 for Flash.

• Options

Even if that is true, it's entirely logical for events to change before Nero's arrival, since future, established time travel events (like First Contact for example) likely either won't happen now, or at least will happen differently.

Events was changed afterwards, so everything changed once the event happens. It don't go back the other way.

• Options

Events was changed afterwards, so everything changed once the event happens. It don't go back the other way.

The entire timeline would have changed as Nero passed through the portal, like the Enterprise-D and her entire history did as the Enterprise-C passed through the portal in Yesterday's Enterprise.

I mean, logically the JJ-verse Enterprise-D will certainly have at least a few different crew members, or more likely an entirely different crew. With a different crew, the encounters with the Borg would have gone differently, and the attack on First Contact probably wouldn't happen. In First Contact, many of Cochrane's people were killed in the initial attack. So Joe scientist, who was killed in the prime verse bit is now alive in the JJ-verse, lives on and has kids, kids who never existed in the prime universe. These kids have their own kids, or change how different technologies are developed, leading to ships that look different from their prime universe counterparts. Further, since no borg go back in time, the Enterprise era arctic research team doesn't die, and also live on to alter the timeline of the JJ-verse.

Or do you prefer there be massive, unexplainable paradoxes in the JJ-verse, where people are influenced by events that did not happen in this universe?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    snip
    I would have to agree with what is said here.

With all the time travel shenanigans that happen in the prime unvierse TV shows and movies, Nero's going back in time would alter so much stuff from even earlier events because so many of those events were altered by people from the future, a future that is now changed.

Yeah, makes sense. If Nero changed the future, he also changed the events in the past that were affected by the future. This probably wouldn't include people like Daniels, as he seems to exist in a lot of different timelines, which would mean that the Temporal Cold War parts of Enterprise probably remain largely the same.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    The entire timeline would have changed as Nero passed through the portal, like the Enterprise-D and her entire history did as the Enterprise-C passed through the portal in Yesterday's Enterprise.

I mean, logically the JJ-verse Enterprise-D will certainly have at least a few different crew members, or more likely an entirely different crew. With a different crew, the encounters with the Borg would have gone differently, and the attack on First Contact probably wouldn't happen. In First Contact, many of Cochrane's people were killed in the initial attack. So Joe scientist, who was killed in the prime verse bit is now alive in the JJ-verse, lives on and has kids, kids who never existed in the prime universe. These kids have their own kids, or change how different technologies are developed, leading to ships that look different from their prime universe counterparts. Further, since no borg go back in time, the Enterprise era arctic research team doesn't die, and also live on to alter the timeline of the JJ-verse.

Or do you prefer there be massive, unexplainable paradoxes in the JJ-verse, where people are influenced by events that did not happen in this universe?

Nero went into a Parallel universe. Where things was different, and not even part of the Prime timeline. He just didn't go back in time only. If so it would be based off the Prime Time line.

• Options
    snip
    I would have to agree with what is said here.

With all the time travel shenanigans that happen in the prime unvierse TV shows and movies, Nero's going back in time would alter so much stuff from even earlier events because so many of those events were altered by people from the future, a future that is now changed.

Yeah, makes sense. If Nero changed the future, he also changed the events in the past that were affected by the future. This probably wouldn't include people like Daniels, as he seems to exist in a lot of different timelines, which would mean that the Temporal Cold War parts of Enterprise probably remain largely the same.

Unless the Temporal Cold War in Enterprise was also altered because of future timeline contamination. Maybe Enterprise itself was altered to such a degree that it didn't suck as much as the prime timeline Enterprise series.

Now there's an encouraging thought. The Kelvin Timeline version of Enterprise becomes a decent cornerstone to the franchise.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg