test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Not sure using the exact registry number narrows it down that far, Constitution-class starships like the Constellation and the Eagle had comparable registry numbers, the Eagle being as low as NCC-956.

Also, apparently some of the "newer" designs of the TMP era, like the Oberth-class staships, had lower registry numbers too: memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oberth_class#Ships_commissioned
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Not sure using the exact registry number narrows it down that far, Constitution-class starships like the Constellation and the Eagle had comparable registry numbers, the Eagle being as low as NCC-956.

Also, apparently some of the "newer" designs of the TMP era, like the Oberth-class staships, had lower registry numbers too: memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oberth_class#Ships_commissioned

Correct, in most cases the Class Ship is made first. Then the rest follow suit. Saying the Eagle, and others are older don't match up at all.

In Star Trek, you can't go by numbers to tell when it was built. The ones stating you can, really didn't pay attention to the ships at all. Specially when it comes down to details.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    If the new series is set after Star Trek: Enterprise and before Star Trek: The Original Series, do you think there will be a chance that Enterprise NX-01 and crew will make an appearance? I hope so and still hoping they bring back Star Trek: Enterprise and have another season or two. People around the internet are still posting for it to come back.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Eh, I think I've officially lost interest in paying for CBS-All-Access now.

That's alright. Given the money being made, they've lost all interest in making product for fans who want trot out their encyclopedic knowledge of setting-minutia from previous shows and instead focus on fans who want a new story.
    edited August 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Eh, I think I've officially lost interest in paying for CBS-All-Access now.

That's alright. Given the money being made, they've lost all interest in making product for fans who want trot out their encyclopedic knowledge of setting-minutia from previous shows and instead focus on fans who want a new story.

I know I won't pay for it. They are being greedy. So I will find other methods to watch it. Sorry, but I already pay for internet and cable TV. I refuse to pay again for a show. This alone is already making it for a certain market. So I doubt this series will do well at all.

And they're also ignoring fans whose interest stops when they have to contribute more than exactly nothing to watch.

It's a glorious age.
    edited August 2016
    And they're also ignoring fans whose interest stops when they have to contribute more than exactly nothing to watch.

It's a glorious age.

Why? There is plenty of shows you don't have to pay extra for. So I will watch those instead. Star Trek was built on for everyone to watch and enjoy. The Production company is the one who turned their backs on the fans. Pay up or you won't watch.

They turned their backs on fans that think the other guy is being greedy when they want something that takes a lot of work and money made available to them for free.

It's your choice to not be interested. Feel free to make it. But the fact is Star Trek carries on, and it carries on despite the narrow-minded and sometimes outright hateful behavior of those who imagine themselves to be the 'biggest' and 'true' fans.
    daveyny wrote: »
    Given the non-reticence of many Trek Fans toward previous TV incarnations and the recent movies, it could also be said that no Trek show has ever had more cards stacked against it, as well.<shrug>

The 'card's that are willing to pay in to keep a thing going ALWAYS have more say than the cards who think their strength is withholding money trying to strangle something to death in the belief that they'll change it instead of just kill it.

They turned their backs on fans that think the other guy is being greedy when they want something that takes a lot of work and money made available to them for free.

It's your choice to not be interested. Feel free to make it. But the fact is Star Trek carries on, and it carries on despite the narrow-minded and sometimes outright hateful behavior of those who imagine themselves to be the 'biggest' and 'true' fans.

They get their $ through advertising, products and other methods. This is how TV shows get money for their production. Next it goes to viewer ship. If a lot of people watch they will keep going. Once the ratings go down it gets the ax. They are mainly after the ratings.

Star Trek should be shown to all people, fans of all kinds. Not to a select group. That is what they are doing now.

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User

I watched every episode of TOS on re-run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of TNG on first run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of DS-9 on first run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of Voyager on first run. Never paid a penny...
    I watched most episode of Enterprise on Sky. Brought Broken Bow before I saw it on Sky...
    I watched every TNG movie in the cinema on release, and paid in full each time...
    I watched every episode of Babylon 5 on first run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched most episodes of Andromeda on first run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched most episodes of the X-Files on first run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of Twin Peaks on re-run. Never cost me anything...
    I watched almost every episode of Defiance via re-runs and first runs... Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of Baywatch on first run, and guess what? Never cost me anything...

This new series being shown via subscription service is greed on the part of the network. It's fleecing the fan base because they think (haha :D ) that people will just pay up because they want to watch the series... Look at the pattern of (pretty much all other) other shows being free to view on first release... Subscription services are one thing, but when it's a blatant cash-grab, are you really surprized that folks are less than interested in paying?
    raj011 wrote: »
    If the new series is set after Star Trek: Enterprise and before Star Trek: The Original Series, do you think there will be a chance that Enterprise NX-01 and crew will make an appearance? I hope so and still hoping they bring back Star Trek: Enterprise and have another season or two. People around the internet are still posting for it to come back.
    Depending on the exact time frame, I suspect appearances by the NX-01 crew would be possible... B)
    I watched most episode of Enterprise on Sky. Brought Broken Bow before I saw it on Sky...
    I watched every TNG movie in the cinema on release, and paid in full each time...
    I watched almost every episode of Defiance via re-runs and first runs... Never cost me anything...
    I watched every episode of Baywatch on first run, and guess what? Never cost me anything...

Is a coke still 5 cents in your world :)? Models move on, and frankly commercial-break driven programing is looking more and more like pure garbage compared to what we're seeing made possible in the other models that have evolved since then. I'm sorry the door fee bothers you, but falling closer to Daredevil or Game of Thones in terms of continuous story arc and complete absence of commercial breaks than to TNG where you could fricking set your watch by the plot twists (42 minutes after the hour? Time for the dramatic set back!) is one of the things I MOST look forward to in the new series.
    This new series being shown via subscription service is greed on the part of the network. It's fleecing the fan base because they think (haha :D ) that people will just pay up because they want to watch the series... Look at the pattern of (pretty much all other) other shows being free to view on first release... Subscription services are one thing, but when it's a blatant cash-grab, are you really surprized that folks are less than interested in paying?

No... I'm just surprised those people think they are relevant any more in this decade. We're enjoying a literal golden age of storytelling and I'm delighted Star Trek's on board. If that means fork over $12, count me in.
    edited August 2016
    No... I'm just surprised those people think they are relevant any more in this decade. We're enjoying a literal golden age of storytelling and I'm delighted Star Trek's on board. If that means fork over $12, count me in.

More like the age of greed. And welcome to the age of Pay Per View.
    Post edited by farmallm on

Is a coke still 5 cents in your world :)? Models move on, and frankly commercial-break driven programing is looking more and more like pure garbage compared to what we're seeing made possible in the other models that have evolved since then. I'm sorry the door fee bothers you, but falling closer to Daredevil or Game of Thones in terms of continuous story arc and complete absence of commercial breaks than to TNG where you could fricking set your watch by the plot twists (42 minutes after the hour? Time for the dramatic set back!) is one of the things I MOST look forward to in the new series.

The vast majority of TV series are free to view. That is the most relevent model to focus on... All the time there is free TV, that's where the majority market will be...

As for Golden Age... Bwahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D:D I don't consider reboots and remakes the pinacle of story-telling, and when films like Batman Vs Superman get throughly panned, it's clear that 'the new stuff' isn't doing much better... ;) I know, that's just a couple of examples, but seriously, this is far from a Golden Age of story-telling...

And as for people thinking rhey are relevant... All the time series require viewers, then yes, they are still relevant... Any decent actor or musician will tell you that without their fans, the people who watch their shows and films, they would be nothing... ;)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    Remember that old saying - if you're not paying for it, you're the product. The drawback to "free" TV is that if a show isn't producing enough eyeballs on the ads (and that means as the show is airing, not later on DVR when you can skip commercials) it's going to get cancelled because it's just not making the revenue necessary.

The edge subscription TV like Netflix or CBS All Access has is that the only "rating" they need is the number of people paying each month. You can buy access, then stream it into a recording device and skip ads that way if you're so inclined, because as long as you've paid your fee there's a revenue stream.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    And Discovery does not have to worry about ratings at all since it has already turned a profit.

Actually, it does. I'm quite sure CBS made Netflix pay through the nose for international distribution rights. Now Netflix has to make a profit on that deal from its subscribers.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Netflix only worries about how many folks watch what's on the service and how many are paying the monthly fee.
    Their "metrics" for number of 'views' are probably more closely watched than Cryptic's.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Is there ANYTHING greedier than "I want you to give it to me for free"? It has value. You KNOW it has value to you, but if its not free, then "whaaa, you're so greedy!"

Its not even bad comedy at this stage. It's flat TRIBBLE ignorance.

Here's the thing: the value of a person's butt planted in a chair watching commercials on a major network has plummeted. People don't watch commercials anymore and the term 'major network' has become an industry joke. The old network model is withering before our eyes and swarms of unscripted reality show tripe fill the Big 3's time slots because they cost pennies on the dollar to shoot compared to a sci-fi genre piece.

So your options really are pay up, steal it, or do without. And thankfully the 'pay up' folks are numerous enough that these shows happen at all.
    As for Golden Age... Bwahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D:D I don't consider reboots and remakes the pinacle of story-telling, and when films like Batman Vs Superman get throughly panned, it's clear that 'the new stuff' isn't doing much better... ;) I know, that's just a couple of examples, but seriously, this is far from a Golden Age of story-telling...

I'm sorry your range of tastes is so limited you have no idea what good stuff is being made out there.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    @nikeix, do you feel someone is wrong on the internet right now? ;)

I understand you.

The Age of Netflix and Amazon Prime and what not has come. So far I like what I see. (And also like what I don't see, like commercial breaks or reality-show TRIBBLE or game shows.)

Of course, I would argue with such high anticipations everywhere, can the new TV series be anything but fail them?

We'll see.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If it really is another prequel I'll be worried we get another mess of weird retcons and awkward references. Prequels are not a good way to do new shows, you are always limited by what was established, you need to include references to please the fans and your new stories can't be that big or else they'd have had a place in canon history before. ENT showed that this hot mess doesn't work.

But we'll see. At this point I'm of course thrilled to some degree, but then again the latest show installments of Star Trek were not that... great. Worst case we get another retcon fest with wooden acting, shallow characters and cringeworthy plot that gets scrapped halfway in...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited August 2016
    Is there ANYTHING greedier than "I want you to give it to me for free"? It has value. You KNOW it has value to you, but if its not free, then "whaaa, you're so greedy!"

Its not even bad comedy at this stage. It's flat **** ignorance.

Here's the thing: the value of a person's butt planted in a chair watching commercials on a major network has plummeted. People don't watch commercials anymore and the term 'major network' has become an industry joke. The old network model is withering before our eyes and swarms of unscripted reality show tripe fill the Big 3's time slots because they cost pennies on the dollar to shoot compared to a sci-fi genre piece.

So your options really are pay up, steal it, or do without. And thankfully the 'pay up' folks are numerous enough that these shows happen at all.

No, just want it available to all people to watch like it should be. Instead of cater of the "Pay Only" group. You don't have $ in hand, sorry your not watching. So who really looks greedy?

Bottom line with that horrible ship. Who would watch to pay for something that stupid. I know I sure won't. You know its a start to a bad show. When your forcing people to pay for your TRIBBLE.

edited August 2016

Its not even bad comedy at this stage. It's flat **** ignorance.

From what I've seen thus far, I'm quite happy to do without... So to counter your initial point, no, the series has no value to me... I'm not desperate to watch it, so I'm certainly not desperate enough to pay an extra subscription to view it. Especially not when it winding up on YouTube is pretty much an inevitability... If someone else chooses to share what they've paid for with others when others then view it, they are not stealing it... (but nice try to use emotional guilting to win the idea that people have some kind of obligation to pay up for something they never even asked for in the first place, rather than a legitimate argument for the necessity of the subscription itself...)

I'm sorry your range of tastes is so limited you have no idea what good stuff is being made out there.
    Nice ad hominum... I'm not sure what I find more insulting: The idea that you're insinuating that I have poor taste, or that you're trying to suggest that [what you consider] 'good stuff' makes up for all the garbage being spewed out... And when the general concensus is that Batman Vs Superman is a failure, then there's either truth to the statement, or a lot of 'wrong people'... B)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @crashdragon I'm wondering how long it'll take for someone to announce they're suing you over the internet for that statement pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited August 2016
    Nice ad hominum...

It was :). Because I really am sorry for you that you didn't enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool, that you've evidently missed out on The Expanse (unquestionably the best TV sci fi to come out in years). That you're seemingly oblivious to even the networks managing to permit a 5 year run of Person of Interest that under the skin managed to be the best, most thoughtful discussion of AI that's ever graced a 1-hour serialized drama. That you've never seen either season of Bosche (both brilliant) as an example of Amazon prime funding new shows in house and expecting to be paid for them. That you don't like/missed Daredevil I & II and Jessica Jones as examples of Netflix doing genre products in-house to spectacular effect. And that you're 5+ years out of touch with Game of Thrones laying down new ground rules about short seasons and tight plotting. Because every one of those creations has been reshaping the viewing landscape, and in ways that are hard to contest are good for the viewers.

Most of all I'm sad you let that mud-spattered piece of garbage Batman vs. Superman be your touchstone for what's going on in genre storytelling.
    Nice ad hominum...

It was :). Because I really am sorry for you that you didn't enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool, that you've evidently missed out on The Expanse (unquestionably the best TV sci fi to come out in years). That you're evidently oblivious to even the networks managing to permit a 5 year run of Person of Interest that under the skin managed to be the best, most thoughtful discussion of AI that's ever graced a 1-hour serialized drama. That you've never seen either season of Bosche (both brilliant) as an example of Amazon prime funding new shows in house and expecting to be paid for them. That you don't like/missed Daredevil I & II and Jessica Jones as examples of Netflix doing genra products in-house to spectacular effect. And that you're 5+ years out of touch with Game of Thrones laying down new ground rules about short seasons and tight plotting. Because every one of those creatrions has been reshaping the landscape, and in ways that are hard to contest are good for the viewers.

Most of all I'm sad you let that mud-spattered piece of garbage Batman vs. Superman be your touchstone for what's going on in genre storytelling.
    Guardians of the Galaxy was the only one of that list that I've even seen... (I rather enjoyed it, apart from Karen Gillan's wooden acting) Deadpool, I don't even want to watch. Whenever everyone raves about something, it tends to have the effect of making me dislike it (probably a psychological reason for that, which I'm sure a therapist could explain) but beyond that, I actually don't watch much in the way of TV anymore. I've only heard of Bosche, because I know Jeri Ryan was in it, beyond that, never heard of it... Never heard of Jessica Jones... Never watched Daredevil (I don't have a Netflix subscription...) And again, I've never watched Game of Thrones (or Breaking Bad, or Dexter) because I simply never got round to watching them.

Batman Vs Superman is an excellent touchstone for what's going on, because, funnily enough, it is what's going on... Same as Fantastic Four, and Suicide Squad... All of which I called as steaming piles before they were even released... Films I never had the slightest inclination to watch, and which the majority of reviews, are unfavorable... Ghostbusters, is another example of 'rehashitis'... I gladly accept that that's not all which is going on in Hollywoodland at the moment, but it's certainly a fair percentage of it, and enough to consider it an observable trend... B)
    edited August 2016
    And now it's no longer ad hominem. You've just told us your range of tastes/experience with TV is limited. Thanks for clearing that up :).

Totally with you on Fantastic Four by the way. But I think Suicide Squad might be at least watchable. Not great, but worth a matinee ticket (I hope)
    And now it's no longer ad hominem. You've just told us your range of tastes/experience with TV is limited. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I would prefer 'discerning and selected', rather than 'limited', but it is still an ad hominem, because you are trying to discredit my capacity to make an opinion, rather than actually challenging the opinion I presented... B)

Telling us you don't watch much TV is pretty good grounds for questioning the value of your opinion of TV production, wouldn't you think :)? But honestly, if you don't know that we're having a golden age, try and find something to watch. Sure, you may stumble into a pile of trash the first time or two, but don't give up. There's good stuff out there for a whole range of discerning tastes, and your life will be better for defining yourself by what you like rather than what you sneer at.

((oh, and BTW part of the reason BvS is being panned so hard is because it's such an aberration compared to the background radiation level of fun/entertaining super-heroes content coming out.))
This discussion has been closed.