test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User

The second reply at the bottom of that article has a poll. The results are pretty...interesting.
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User

The second reply at the bottom of that article has a poll. The results are pretty...interesting.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Might be relevant:

"With all the “TRIBBLE” jokes floating around, John van Citters of CBS took to Twitter to say that the new series is officially being referred to as DSC when an abbreviation is needed."

Source: http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • azmodeasazmodeas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    All the doom and gloom in the thread is silly. Sure the cgi was brutal, the design a rehash of a rejected ship design from a failed pilot for a 70's reboot of trek. But As it's been stated this isn't the final design. All we really know is the title of the show "Star Trek Discovery".

If the ships' appearence was anything to go off of. Were really not seeing much to identify an actual era in trek. Sure it could be pre tos or it could be a different era all together.

I'm going to reach for the stars here and guess wildly and probably very wrong. That this is a future era. Here's why.

Pre tos the trek lore unless were completly rewriting it. The KDF and Federation were never on great terms. Think of it as a very much cold war with America the feds , and soviet union the kdf. Both sides openly smile say there friends. But behind the scenes ... not so much. Given the ship has some serious KDF influences to it. and the traditional saucer you'd expect from federation ship designs. This looks like a joint allied project.

Given the color and looks of the ship. I'm thinking this is a ship that wasn't built at a traditional earth space dock. So where can we figure this to be at in the prime time ? well I'm thinking this could be set after Voyager's return. Say a 50 year jump from that. I'm also going to suggest perhaps some galactic scale calamity has hit the Alpha & Beta Quadrants that's destroyed Warp travel ruined large fleets of the major powers. And through salvage and cooperation what's left of the kdf / Fed/ Rom factions have slapped in a ship kit bash a new ship. with a new crew with a mission. Save there Galaxy before X calamity reaches it's end game. This kit bashed new ship strung together with the last working warp drive , last bits of space worthy parts. With a multi species crew. A sort of noah's ark if they can't save the galaxy but also to help bring people together while on a journey of "Discovery " .

Now I realize my premise here has more holes in it then the average block of swiss cheese. But a post tng nemesis era show would fit. As around Nemesis you had the feds and kdf at peace and cooperating working together. You had signs of even the romulans looking to start a new cooperative path with the Federation. So I'm thinking some sort of galactic scale castatrophe occured to cause these great powers to having to come work together. Maybe it's the trek version of the Zombie Apocolypse without the JJ influence :-).

If I'm totally wrong I'll admit hey I was wrong , and it's another prequal . I'm hoping it's not a prequal. We suffered Enterprise and the star wars prequals .... we know that prequals are bad!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Reminds me of a pizza cutter and I do not like the design. I can see if they are trying a different route, but the Klingons and Federation was very heated up to STVI. I would have to say that this might happen after STVI and why I am interested in seeing this, the ship may cause me not want too.... I just hope this was an idea and not a final video they showed.

Looks more like one of these turned upside down...

44380.jpg

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Hmmm....easy target...and a lot of area to get hit.

It can't be a tactical ship...

U.S.S Discovery...would that be a science ship of some sort?
    Is this show going to be about exploring, or what?

Yes a science exploration ship that when goes into red alert turns into a massive tactical ship. It will consist of 500 torpedo tubes and will use cannons and beam weapons of about 5000 of each and will destroy stuff but will barely make it out of fights against the KDF. When coming off of red alert the weapons systems transform back into sonic showers and food replicators.
    azmodeas wrote: »
    All the doom and gloom in the thread is silly. Sure the cgi was brutal, the design a rehash of a rejected ship design from a failed pilot for a 70's reboot of trek. But As it's been stated this isn't the final design. All we really know is the title of the show "Star Trek Discovery".

If the ships' appearence was anything to go off of. Were really not seeing much to identify an actual era in trek. Sure it could be pre tos or it could be a different era all together.

I'm going to reach for the stars here and guess wildly and probably very wrong. That this is a future era. Here's why.

Pre tos the trek lore unless were completly rewriting it. The KDF and Federation were never on great terms. Think of it as a very much cold war with America the feds , and soviet union the kdf. Both sides openly smile say there friends. But behind the scenes ... not so much. Given the ship has some serious KDF influences to it. and the traditional saucer you'd expect from federation ship designs. This looks like a joint allied project.

Given the color and looks of the ship. I'm thinking this is a ship that wasn't built at a traditional earth space dock. So where can we figure this to be at in the prime time ? well I'm thinking this could be set after Voyager's return. Say a 50 year jump from that. I'm also going to suggest perhaps some galactic scale calamity has hit the Alpha & Beta Quadrants that's destroyed Warp travel ruined large fleets of the major powers. And through salvage and cooperation what's left of the kdf / Fed/ Rom factions have slapped in a ship kit bash a new ship. with a new crew with a mission. Save there Galaxy before X calamity reaches it's end game. This kit bashed new ship strung together with the last working warp drive , last bits of space worthy parts. With a multi species crew. A sort of noah's ark if they can't save the galaxy but also to help bring people together while on a journey of "Discovery " .

Now I realize my premise here has more holes in it then the average block of swiss cheese. But a post tng nemesis era show would fit. As around Nemesis you had the feds and kdf at peace and cooperating working together. You had signs of even the romulans looking to start a new cooperative path with the Federation. So I'm thinking some sort of galactic scale castatrophe occured to cause these great powers to having to come work together. Maybe it's the trek version of the Zombie Apocolypse without the JJ influence :-).

If I'm totally wrong I'll admit hey I was wrong , and it's another prequal . I'm hoping it's not a prequal. We suffered Enterprise and the star wars prequals .... we know that prequals are bad!

That sounds a bit too similar to Stargate-Universe...

Which in my mind, is a very bad thing.

I do hope they aren't going to make this show all dark and gloomy.
    :o
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

:o
    Also Crusade, the followup series to Babylon 5, so yeah, been there done that.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The new series will not be episodic, but will instead tell stories like a novel chapter by chapter.

^ This piece sounds interesting.

It sounds reminiscent of Babylon 5... very reminiscent...

Here's hoping they can pull it off just as effectively. :tongue:

:open_mouth:

Yes. Yes. Yes. YES. That being said, the premise azmodeas came up with isn't quite the same as SGU, and could be quite a bit more hopeful than that. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    Just think, if it turns out that this series is set pre-TOS then many of the arguments made against the Kelvin being a Prime ship could be blown out of the water by the Discovery.

It has a blue glowy deflector. It's nacelles don't resemble anything from ENT or TOS. It looks pretty big for a ship of the era to me.

I find myself hoping that they'll get permission to put a Kelvin type in the series somewhere; just to lay the matter to rest.
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    The ship design is the thing I'm least on board for... while I'm slightly calmed by the idea that this isn't the final design, I really I do hope that they don't just try and refine it and touch it up - but that they go back to the drawing board entirely with it. Saucer looks good, but a big circles and a big triangle don't really look good together in ship design. If they stick with the design and it heaven forbid somehow ends up in STO, I'm going to want the ability to use friendly fire in game. >:)
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    If this isn't the final design why put it out? Unless they was pressured to by CBS for a early look at her.​​

I suspect it was... and that they then may have soft backtracked with their wording after receiving such a large amount of negative feedback.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Well the technology seen isent TOS. so maybe a missing link between the connie refit and tos? Im hoping shes a carrier......
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I don't care what they say. I will still call the series TRIBBLE. The ship alone is making me not want to watch it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Might be relevant:

"With all the “TRIBBLE” jokes floating around, John van Citters of CBS took to Twitter to say that the new series is officially being referred to as DSC when an abbreviation is needed."

Source: http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/​​

Yeah but I think 'TRIBBLE' or 'ST:D' is what will survive when this series is discussed in fan circles for years to come. Let's face it, MOST of us find it funny/interesting in connotation, and that's why it will ultimately be the fan abbreviation of choice overall.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited July 2016
    I'm kinda leaning toward ST:DSC...

Sexually Transmitted: Didn't Seeit Coming

<snicker>
    B)
    Calling it TRIBBLE is obviously satirical. I mean, come on - Trekkies getting sexually-transmitted anything? :lol:​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited July 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Calling it TRIBBLE is obviously satirical. I mean, come on - Trekkies getting sexually-transmitted anything? :lol:​​

Heh...
    In my particular case not true, it was at the 1972 Trek Con in NYC when I first got it on with a Lady Vulcan.
    Trek has helped me get "into bed" on many an occasion.
    B)
    Calling it TRIBBLE is obviously satirical. I mean, come on - Trekkies getting sexually-transmitted anything? :lol:

Heh...
    In my particular case not true, it was at the 1972 Trek Con in NYC when I first got it on with a Lady Vulcan.
    Trek has helped me get "into bed" on many an occasion.
    B)
    My lady likes Trek well enough, but she's really more of a Whovian. We won't go into details about the sonic screwdriver, obviously... :wink:​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I'd like to see a mini series based on the Enterprise C. We know the ending but what about the beginnings.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Do you have icicles sprouting out of your beard, jon? Because that was cold. :lol:

Meanwhile, ScreenRant seems to think we may have a minority female captain for the series.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Ouch.

More seriously - what's the lead time on a show when setting up things like effect meshes and building standing sets? We're starting to get close for one short 'leaving spacedock' teaser, aren't we?

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »
    Calling it TRIBBLE is obviously satirical. I mean, come on - Trekkies getting sexually-transmitted anything? :lol:

Do you have icicles sprouting out of your beard, jon? Because that was cold. :lol:

Meanwhile, ScreenRant seems to think we may have a minority female captain for the series.

They mean non-white. The Swiss are a minority in the US so are Lithuanians. They also mean black, a group (of African origin obviously, Australian and South Americans never count as 'black' for them) people that make up a percentage of the US population that's only a minority compared to 'white' people.

Also, ScreenRant, it's not 1994, having a non-white or non-male main character is not even worth mentioning, especially not for science fiction.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Well, we've had a black lead (DS9), and a female Captain (not her fault VOY was so badly written so very often), so while a welcome gesture, it's not really that big a deal any more.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't really care that much about the captain tbh, but I'd be excited about the support cast. Will we get an alien? Maybe a Tellarite?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't really care that much about the captain tbh, but I'd be excited about the support cast. Will we get an alien? Maybe a Tellarite?

Uuugh :/

Why couldn't Dukat have taken a little detour to Teller Prime?

Andorian master race!

deputy_thanida_zh_wann_by_auctor_lucan-d8k4h5d.png​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Saddens me a bit that they say "minority", and the press instantly thinks African American.

Let's have some proper diversity in the cast, and not just the captain, and some different nationalities among the human characters too, which is something that gets overlooked a lot frankly. We've had four American captains so far. Come on, be adventurous!
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I say let's have an alien captain.
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    Saddens me a bit that they say "minority", and the press instantly thinks African American.

Let's have some proper diversity in the cast, and not just the captain, and some different nationalities among the human characters too, which is something that gets overlooked a lot frankly. We've had four American captains so far. Come on, be adventurous!

I thought Kirk was Canadian. Or is that just Shatner?
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    I thought Kirk was Canadian. Or is that just Shatner?

Just Shatner. Kirk is from Iowa.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    ashrod63 wrote: »

Why? :confused: They specifically referenced Mae Jemison and Nichelle Nichols, so it's hardly as if they're making unwaranted leaps... Maybe spare the PC sentiments for when they're deserved?

Voyager had a fairly diverse cast...

Diversity for the sake of diversity isn't enlightening, it's pandering...

Oh, and Picard was supposed to be French... ;)
This discussion has been closed.