test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    I thought Kirk was Canadian. Or is that just Shatner?

Just Shatner. Kirk is from Iowa.

Oh yeah. Duh.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Saddens me a bit that they say "minority", and the press instantly thinks African American.

Let's have some proper diversity in the cast, and not just the captain, and some different nationalities among the human characters too, which is something that gets overlooked a lot frankly. We've had four American captains so far. Come on, be adventurous!
    Why? :confused: They specifically referenced Mae Jemison and Nichelle Nichols, so it's hardly as if they're making unwaranted leaps... Maybe spare the PC sentiments for when they're deserved?

Voyager had a fairly diverse cast...

Diversity for the sake of diversity isn't enlightening, it's pandering...

Oh, and Picard was supposed to be French... ;)

Yeah, but so far he's the exception.

Personally, I'd like to see a captain who isn't even from Earth or anyplace remotely as developed, a la Tasha Yar and Chakotay. Let's see a captain who doesn't need to be disabused of his/her humanist superiority complex because they grew up someplace other than paradise so they already know Future!Humanity isn't perfect yet.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Why? :confused: They specifically referenced Mae Jemison and Nichelle Nichols, so it's hardly as if they're making unwaranted leaps... Maybe spare the PC sentiments for when they're deserved?

Because it's an issue that exists across television and film and one that shows no signs of being corrected any time soon. As somebody who supports equality, I don't like people bragging about putting one race above another regardless of the sentiments behind it.

I know where Picard is from. The name gives it away.
  • azmodeasazmodeas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    hrm Diversity in personal / crew for the new show ?.

How about a Female Orion for Captain. A Ferason/ Caitian security chief, a Klingon Doctor. and a Romulan engineer. With an Asian communication's officer, native american helmsmen, Spanish weapons officer, and an Andorian science officer. Have the Captain married to a same gender partner.

Checks all the boxes and delivers that edgy yet political correctness with an interesting diversity.

As for actors well that's why you hire casting experts!
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Well given how sci-fi tends to reflect the times it is written in...

I wouldn't be surprised if the next captain is of Central or South American heritage and is homosexual and/or transgendered. Those two identifiers are the current "in" thing for modern Hollywood progressives. Likewise the story will probably be the current trend of the system being broken and corrupt, and the captain needing to be a rebel against tyranny.

Personally I'm not to worried about the ethnic diversity of the cast, Star Trek has usually done a decent job of trying to bring together a cast of diverse backgrounds. The real problem that needs to be addressed is how few characters ever get proper backstories and motivations beyond just ethnic stereotypes.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Saddens me a bit that they say "minority", and the press instantly thinks African American.

Let's have some proper diversity in the cast, and not just the captain, and some different nationalities among the human characters too, which is something that gets overlooked a lot frankly. We've had four American captains so far. Come on, be adventurous!

Yeah, but so far he's the exception.

Personally, I'd like to see a captain who isn't even from Earth or anyplace remotely as developed, a la Tasha Yar and Chakotay. Let's see a captain who doesn't need to be disabused of his/her humanist superiority complex because they grew up someplace other than paradise so they already know Future!Humanity isn't perfect yet.
    Something to consider, is the audience... Losing the optimism for the future, and one no longer has 'Star Trek', but sci-fi... Characters need to be relatable to a majority of the audience, to retain interest...
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User

Because it's an issue that exists across television and film and one that shows no signs of being corrected any time soon. As somebody who supports equality, I don't like people bragging about putting one race above another regardless of the sentiments behind it.

I know where Picard is from. The name gives it away.
    Containment, Empire, to name but two quick and easy examples...

Equality means treating everyone equally regardless of what 'label is attached', not focussing on the label and using that as a yardstick... As I said, the interview clearly mentioned Mae Jemison and Nichelle Nichols being considered as influential (and presumeably influential toward the character) so again, why do you consider it saddening that 'African American' was the minority group people thought of? (considering that the two women referenced were indeed African American) As I said, it's not as if there's nothing guiding the train of thought to that destination, or anything sinister about the notion, simply two celebrated women being inspirational... :confused:

As for Picard, you're absolutely right... There were four American captains. I forgot Archer... My apologies...
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Black female TRIBBLE, born a man, sex changed to woman. Asian, vegetarian, rides a bike everywhere on the ship.

Seriously, as long as we care more about random origins than personality and attitude/actions we won't get anywhere.

EDIT: l.e.s.b.i.a.n. is filtered out?!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @marcusdkane This is a good point. Since DS9 Star Trek did a terrible job writing real characters. Half the cast (at least) in VOY and ENT were entirely expendable. I hope they don't repeat a "Braga" with the new show.

@artan42 Andorians are just blue wannabe Klingons. I swear if the new just once has somebody say "pinkskin" I'm going hog wild.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 Andorians are just blue wannabe Klingons. I swear if the new just once has somebody say "pinkskin" I'm going hog wild.

Wannabe Klingons that are more awesome than Klingons...

...and Tellerites.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Funny - many of the same issues were made of the Enterprise-D - the fans hated it at first. Now, they love it.

What's more surprising - this isnt' the final version of the ship. While people are making video's and posting blogs about how bad it looks, the exec in charge has already publicly said - this isn't the finished ship. This is a rough.

Another win for rushed marketing.

I remember not liking the big D myself, It looked too different to me at the time, truth be told, I wanted something closer to the refitted connie. The D grew on me to be sure, BUT THIS DESIGN...

They're gonna need A LOT of fertilizer. That's all I can say.

I've seen this design in connection with a asteriod-ish drydock before:

"Ken Adam of James Bond fame was hired as production designer while Ralph McQuarrie, who had just before worked on Star Wars, was attracted to design the new Enterprise. Many of his conceptual drawings were speculative images, not based on any script, including depictions of the Enterprise approaching an inhabited astroid."

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/Ralph-McQuarrie-Enterprise1-e1329687149291.jpg

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/planet-of-the-titans-the-film-that-wasnt/

I'm wondering if the new show will have a Planet of the Titan's connection beyond us seeing reused concept art.

Post edited by vengefuldjinn on
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Rough or not. There is no amount of work that can fix that horrible ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think it quite likely the Discovery is a Federation/Klingon joint-venture. Listen to the music again.
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    I think it quite likely the Discovery is a Federation/Klingon joint-venture. Listen to the music again.

I suspect you are right, but I think there are other ways in which the hybrid aesthetic could be achieved. It makes me think of Babylon 5 spin off... the Excalibur was a hybrid Earth/Minbari/Vorlon vessel and looked decent enough (given the right angle), but in the bad Rangers TV movie there was a hybrid Earth/Minbari vessel that looked horrid. And this one makes me think of that ship.

I would imagine that the name "Discovery" hearkens back to ST:6's wordplay on the future being the titular "Undiscovered Country", and that this ship is designed to discover that "country" with Klingons and Starfleet together.

That said, the registry appears to be pre-Enterprise.

My biggest qualm is the fat triangle stuck on the back. If the wing could be broken up a bit, it might be redeemable, maybe have two nacelle wings instead of a giant singular one, that are connected to a more Starfleet style engineering section and deflector, by struts. Perhaps make the lower saucer reminiscent of the BOP and have its lower half slightly more bulbous to accommodate torpedo launchers and weaponry the BOP has.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I think a smoother sort of aesthetic to a joint venture would probably be take the basic hull layout of one or the other faction, but give it the alternate touches. Like a Starfleet saucer/secondary but with Klingon style nacelles and bridge module, and a more angular look to the connections. Or a Klingon style 'manta' but with a more 'streamlined' federation look and hull plating, with Federation style impulse mountings.

Just as ideas, I'm not much of an artist, it would indicate joint technology exchange without being so, er, kitbashy as the Discovery looks there.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    I would imagine that the name "Discovery" hearkens back to ST:6's wordplay on the future being the titular "Undiscovered Country", and that this ship is designed to discover that "country" with Klingons and Starfleet together.
    The title The Undiscovered Country is a Shakespeare reference, in which Death is described as "...that undiscover'd country from whose bourne/No traveller returns..."

So, the ship is designed to explore Sto'vo'kor?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    The title The Undiscovered Country is a Shakespeare reference, in which Death is described as "...that undiscover'd country from whose bourne/No traveller returns..."

Or maybe it's their way of saying the show will dead on arrival. ;)
    1xe027q.png
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User

I suspect you are right, but I think there are other ways in which the hybrid aesthetic could be achieved. It makes me think of Babylon 5 spin off... the Excalibur was a hybrid Earth/Minbari/Vorlon vessel and looked decent enough (given the right angle), but in the bad Rangers TV movie there was a hybrid Earth/Minbari vessel that looked horrid. And this one makes me think of that ship.

That said, the registry appears to be pre-Enterprise.

My biggest qualm is the fat triangle stuck on the back. If the wing could be broken up a bit, it might be redeemable, maybe have two nacelle wings instead of a giant singular one, that are connected to a more Starfleet style engineering section and deflector, by struts. Perhaps make the lower saucer reminiscent of the BOP and have its lower half slightly more bulbous to accommodate torpedo launchers and weaponry the BOP has.

They've already said it's not in that time period (between Undiscovered Country and TNG), pretty much the only thing we do know. If it's a joint venture it's post-Nemesis, but given the registry it is almost certainly 23rd century and so not Klingon involved.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    What if it's an old 23rd century ship that has been pulled out of mothballs and updated with Klingon tech for a joint mission?
    It could still be set in the post-Nemesis period.

The reason for using a really old ship could be to keep the Klingon crew members from gaining to much knowledge about current Federation Technology.

It could be another half-assed attempt for a joint venture like the "Planet of Peace" (Nimbus III) was, but this time we learn through the episodes that it actually ends up working out.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    jonsills wrote: »

Well, hey, the Klingons and Federation met God, so it's a logical follow-up. :)

<immediate hitting deck for mentioning STV>

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2016

I know it was meant jokingly, but it really irks me that people still say they met "god" in STV because of one line of dialogue everyone knows. But appearantly, nobody actually saw the movie because if you seriously claim they met "god" or "a god" you clearly failed to comprehend the movie pig-2.gif

Mind you, "you" is meant as a general pronoun here, replace it with "one", not adressing antonine here. I just wanted to voice that the argument really irks me pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    "GOD" already has a "spaceship", it's this really, really huge black thing with a lot of tiny little lights in it called the UNIVERSE.

Hey, maybe JJ IS GOD????
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

I know it was meant jokingly, but it really irks me that people still say they met "god" in STV because of one line of dialogue everyone knows. But appearantly, nobody actually saw the movie because if you seriously claim they met "god" or "a god" you clearly failed to comprehend the movie pig-2.gif

Mind you, "you" is meant as a general pronoun here, replace it with "one", not adressing antonine here. I just wanted to voice that the argument really irks me pig-3.gif​​

Well, entity-who-claims-godhood-while-seriously-ranking-in-power-below-multiple-intelligent-species-encountered-on-the-five-year-mission-despite-elaborate-security-precautions-to-contain-it really doesn't roll off the tongue, y'know? :)

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2016

So it's TNG, but on a much grander scale? Instead of one Klingon, there's MORE? Cool !

Maybe a Klingon captain!

I like the idea of a joint venture, but that ship is still too clunky, even for a joint venture. Sorry.

Neither Klingon nor Federation ships ever looked THAT blocky. Damned thing looks like it was made outa legos.

Surely they'd come up with something more streamlined. Clunky doesn't = Klingon :(

One more thing - The name, Discovery? That's not necessarily a name that pops into my head when I think of a ship half full of Klingons.

The Dagger of Discovery ... Now that's a Klingon/Fed ship. :D

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think a smoother sort of aesthetic to a joint venture would probably be take the basic hull layout of one or the other faction, but give it the alternate touches. Like a Starfleet saucer/secondary but with Klingon style nacelles and bridge module, and a more angular look to the connections. Or a Klingon style 'manta' but with a more 'streamlined' federation look and hull plating, with Federation style impulse mountings.

Just as ideas, I'm not much of an artist, it would indicate joint technology exchange without being so, er, kitbashy as the Discovery looks there.

Keep in mind the 'Star Trek Aesthetic' pretty much has ZERO underlying engineering constraints. For a while there was a rule you needed an even number of nacelles and the space between them needed to be open, but even that principle has largely been cast aside. With no base to build off of what we get is a whole shovel-load of ships that are minute topological tweaks to the original Enterprise... which after a dozen movie variants on the exact same theme (and 80+ more of them in STO...) is BORING AS HELL. The Reliant, Stargazer, and Defiant were all desperately needed breaths of fresh air in a hideously stagnant visual space.

And honestly the Discovery isn't even remotely radical as designs go-
    Saucer section: check
    Separate engineering hull: check
    Deflector prominently at the front of the engineering hull: check
    Paired Warp nacelles at the end of wings that fan off of the engineering hull: check
    Plainly identifiable impulse drive cluster with a clear field of view at the back of the ship: check

I mean the complaint comes down to "ERMAGERD! The Feds built something that isn't rounded!!" Yeah, I'd say the Vengeance isn't especially rounded either and even if some fans don't find it inspiring, I bet many of the professional artists CBS/Paramount deals with sure as heck do... "Oh hey, look: clear visual language for 'Federation Warship - Chunky' vs. Federation Multirole Explorer - Streamlined'."

Good. Every single time the movies/TV shows has managed to break away from the Federation's slavish adherence to the One True Hull, it's been a step forward for plausibility and visual diversity of the setting.
    I'm not sure how you can call it stagnant - the Miranda was literally the second class of Starfleet ship seen on screen, and the Obreth was the fourth, but all of them weren't quite so... basic in their lines.

Looks like a triplet of warp nacelles on each pylon. That's one of the things that caused me to compare it to a starship as designed by Red Green. Need more power? Just duct-tape a bunch of nacelles together!​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Mind you, "you" is meant as a general pronoun here, replace it with "one", not adressing antonine here. I just wanted to voice that the argument really irks me pig-3.gif

Well it's an entity that called itself a god.Not all gods in human mythologies are omnipotent, so not all space gods need be. Sure the Organians and Metrons are more powerful, but they never claimed to be gods, and a claim is really all you need.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Keep in mind the 'Star Trek Aesthetic' pretty much has ZERO underlying engineering constraints. For a while there was a rule you needed an even number of nacelles and the space between them needed to be open, but even that principle has largely been cast aside. With no base to build off of what we get is a whole shovel-load of ships that are minute topological tweaks to the original Enterprise... which after a dozen movie variants on the exact same theme (and 80+ more of them in STO...) is BORING AS HELL. The Reliant, Stargazer, and Defiant were all desperately needed breaths of fresh air in a hideously stagnant visual space.

And let's remember, those design rules about nacelle arrangement were only made as a "f*ck you" to Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual over a royalties dispute between him and Roddenberry. (Roddenberry a socialist, my pretty Bajoran backside...)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    (Roddenberry a socialist, my pretty Bajoran backside...)
    That came later, when he became a "Hollywood liberal". Back in the day, Roddenberry had an acquisitive streak that would make a Ferengi blush.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.