test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

19596979899101»

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Silver, those are indeed "two-way streets", as you say.

It's a pity you've never traveled them on these forums.
    I treat people the way they treat me. Consider that, before you ever put finger to key again.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    valoreah wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it's a reboot or a retcon, you pedant; It's a revision

So was TNG. So was DS9. So was Voyager. So was Enterprise.
    I'd disagree that they were revisions, but were in fact continuations of the IP and the franchise. Enterprise is a funny one, in so much as they flipflopped between retconning, such as the Ferengi episode, and trying to show what became the Starfleet we know, such as the phase pistols, Malcolm reading about "something called 'photon torpedos'" on the Klingon raptor. His complaint early on about how there weren't any preliminrary scans prior to landing, and his concept of the tactical alert. The producers of Enterprise, were at least trying to show Starfleet 'getting from here to there'.

What was initially teased of Discovery, was of a specific era with nostalgic pull. What was then shown in the trailers, was of something more akin to the Kelvin Timeline (which on an aesthetic level, I don't take issue with, I actually like the Kelvin Timeline and movies, but as we've discussed before, I do object to the dishonest marketing of saying it'll be one thing, but it being aomething else, and then jus gaslighting those who point this out)

And now Discovery has been released. And look at the reception. Some people are saying it's okay, others are pointing out all the issues which have previously been raised as concerns from the trailers, as well as the notion that Burnham should be in prison for mutiny. This is one of those times when 'I told you...' firmly applies.

A comparison: OJ Simpson will never admit killing his wife and her friend, but he was still 'found responsible' and ordered to make reparations to the families. CBS will never admit that Discovery is not in fact the Prime Timeline of the past 50 years, but it's clear that it absolutely is something different.

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd disagree that they were revisions, but were in fact continuations of the IP and the franchise.

Except that each series did a wonderful job at times contradicting what came before in prior series, including revising canon.
    Yes, they did in some instances revise canon, but they were going forward chronologically, and that is the nature of any TV series (such as how in Friends, they later created flashbacks which showed a tension between Chandler and Monica when they were younger) That's not the same as writing an intentional prequel, which, as presented, cannot align with the 'era to come'/previous IP. As I said, Enterprise showed where the technology and culture of the day was, and foreshadowed (sometimes very heavy-handedly) signs of how that era, would become what we already knew. Discovery, is going to have to show reasons for why holo communications go out of fashion, why console designs will change. If not, if it is going to simply over-right TOS, then it might as well have been marketed as a revision/reboot, without all the pretense of '10 years before' and 'This is Prime Timeline'.

And now Discovery has been released. And look at the reception. Some people are saying it's okay, others are pointing out all the issues which have previously been raised as concerns from the trailers, as well as the notion that Burnham should be in prison for mutiny.

So nothing has changed. It's as everyone said all along: some will like it and some won't.
    That's an over-simplification which fails to acknowledge that the concerns people had prior to release from the trailers, have been proven valid. That 'some like it', doesn't dismiss those who don't, not invalidate their reasons for disliking it ;)

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    lI237x7.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.