test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Item Destruction - the feature the game desperately needs.

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong,

Don't give him the opening.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Don't give him the opening.

I removed it and I am sorry. :(
    Headlong into mystery
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I removed it and I am sorry. :(

You are a bad person and you should be ashamed of yourself... At least theres modesty in you though...

So you have that going, which is nice.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would agree to an OPTION for those who want this much "realism" in game.

That said, your respective faction should be supplying all these items for free anyway.

I don't remember any of the Captains in the show having to buy weapons and items for their ships, just requisitioning them.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Don't feed the trolls. . .

Beat them with the dead horse instead
    JtaDmwW.png
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ...I'm choosing to believe this is some sort of elaborate performance art piece.

:confused:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The price of Zen is too high? The difference between 120 and 160 is around 16 cents a day for the average player. If the average player is feeling the loss of 16 cents over an hour or two of playing, well to put it simply, they have bigger problems in life then the Zen Exchange.
    Yeah, anything below 200 is IMO undeserving of being considered "high". I remember back when it was 350+ now THAT was high!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tell you what, OP. You want a 10% chance of your items being destroyed, get yourself a trusty d10, roll for each of your items, and delete them on a roll of 1. You have what you "desperately" need, and the rest of us don't suffer for your idea.
  • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Look, the OP's right in that this game needs to be less sterile and more risky. But that isn't compatible with the current system. Something like this once the paradigm has been changed some, so that high-quality weapons are less important than other factors, and potentially easier to get? Sure. But to make that change now?

#no #justno

(Yes, I know hashtags are obnoxious, even when used as a joke. But sometimes, the situation just calls for it.)
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is a fun thread.

Taking the OP's idea at face value, I would have to say it would have the opposite of the intended effect. People do not like losing things they worked at getting (how hard they worked varies from player to player).

There is nothing in this game that requires you to use the very top end gear. You can use a ship out of the box at the level it was intended. If people run the risk of losing their gear due to a death mechanic, why would they invest dilithium on it in the first place? I am guessing the vast majority of players would choose the path of least resistance, and just go with easy to acquire blue or lower quality gear. This would in turn cause players to stockpile dilithium, which would be readily available for trading on the dilithium exchange. With this surge in available dilithium (I do not see why people would change their farming habits so gain would remain static), the price of zen skyrocket. After all there is nothing in this game that requires all ultra rare expensive gear. You can do elite STFs in a ship out of the box with appropriate level white gear. Increasing supply lowers the value of a currency, and if people are not spending it on high end gear, this is what I see happening.

The PvP issue is a red herring in my opinion.

I think there may be something else the OP is looking for. Right now high end crafted gear is going for a premium on the exchange. I am not certain how well it is moving, but if there was a gear destruction mechanic in play, I wonder how that would affect that particular market? Would people buy the crafted gear for EC to remain "competitive", or would they do like I suggested and stick with middle to low end gear?

I think a better way to examine what the OP is really after is to separate the two issues, dilithium prices on the exchange, and gear destruction, and take one out of the equation. If the dilithium to zen price is too high, then there are other ways to address this. If you are looking for a death mechanic, then maybe an opt-in system would be preferable, or perhaps a system that prevents respawning in events (terrible idea, but an option though).

If you want to lower the dilithium cost of zen, then you need to reduce dilithium supply. There are already a fair amount of sinks in the game that give a return on dilithium (fleet credits/gear). The most effective way to do this (this will be hugely unpopular) is to reduce the rate at which a player can gain dilithium, and to either reduce the refining cap, or better (but still probably unpopular) have an account wide refining cap. You want less dilithium on the exchange, then you need to reduce how much players can gain, while bleeding the rest through sinks. Do this and you will get to your goal of dropping the price of zen faster (along with the resulting wailing and gnashing of teeth)...if that is really your goal.

Death mechanics have been discussed before and there are a TON of suggestions in the threads about that, but I don't think that is what the OP is after.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tell you what, OP. You want a 10% chance of your items being destroyed, get yourself a trusty d10, roll for each of your items, and delete them on a roll of 1. You have what you "desperately" need, and the rest of us don't suffer for your idea.
    No, you misunderstand. He doesn't want to lose his stuff - he wants you to lose your stuff, so his epeen can feel bigger by comparison.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing I'm with the majority of replies (that I didn't bother to read) that if you make my hard-won item go 'poof' then you will have a large exodus of enraged players who will take their time/money elsewhere.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,437 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    There's already debuffs given on death/destruction. They're on Elite difficulty. Normal is for the casual player.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • calexistacalexista Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't think it is a lack of Dil sinks that has the Zen prices back up to closer to when I started but more of a reduction of people willing to spend their money on Zen just to buy Dil and have the next sink introduced. I for one would love to see the prices drop back to 100 Dil per zen so that I could get more items/services from the store for my 18 toons as money has gotten very tight for me due to health issues and how rarely PWE are doing Zen sales when I do have funds to buy zen .

The only way I can see the rates dropping again at this point is if PWE did a massive sale on Zen along the lines of the "triple SC weekends" that SOE used to do. and then they would still need to do it frequently enough that there would be a larger surplus of Zen. I think that right now the Dil is in such a demand that people are not willing to buy it for less zen than the current going rate so that they can afford to complete the projects. Last time I looked a couple days ago there was something like 500k zen set at the 159 dil price unless Zen is put up on a big sale that will stay the going rate range especially if they do more store sales like the services sale that we just had without doing the zen sales before hand.

More Dil sinks like the idea of destroying equipment may lead a few more people to spend more money on zen to buy dil but it will drive more players away. Many people that currently do buy the dil for zen at the current rates probably view the current rate as a standard rate worth tier money or there wouldn't have been 500k zen at the 159 dill mark. No matter how much more the demand for dil goes up at this point many people probably are not willing to 1 zen for much less than the 150 dil without having a massive sale price on the zen that makes everyone feel the value of their zen is worth a lower value.

Zen sale with a project dil discount weekend would probably have the wanted effected as more people would be buying the dil faster than the dil stock could maintain but without that sale to encourage the purchase zen to make people think that they can drop below the current rate people will just keep trying to get as much dil for what little Zen they have.

To reduce the exchange rate in a situation like this it is not just an increase the demand for Dil but you also have to increase the supply zen meaning you have to "print" more zen (Reduce the cost of the zen in terms of cash value). example: Cost of living (Dil demand) goes up but minimum wage (Zen purchase price) stays the same means less people have money to spend on things so buy less (Dil from exchange). Without a raise to the minimum wage (More zen for the same price or less) the Demand for essentials (Dil demand/sink) is still there at the base cost of living but no one can afford anything else or have to cut the essentials down just to squeak by. That doesn't lead to the cost of living dropping it leads to more people living below the poverty line.

Hopefully that helps point out how this idea would not do part of what it was proposed to help with. (Dil to Zen rate)
    edited August 2014
    The workingman cries out at the severity of his toils, the price of zen is too high, and the moral imperatives under which all good people live make it necessary that any new dil sink be ethically permissible.

I believe my proposal is ethically permissible.

Who even talks like this?

This guy is just having a laugh.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Then you can implement this right now. Just find a bunch of like-minded individuals and after each loss have them or you roll a dice to determine which piece of equipment to delete or better yet have the piece of equipment traded to the winner. After all, I could say I deleted a piece of equipment, but there is no way to enforce that I did. If the lost item is traded instead of "destroyed", then the winner can claim it as spoils or destroy it. If the piece of equipment is from the Fleet or Reputation, then a monetary value could be traded.

Absolutely no one is preventing you from implementing this system. You are free to do whatever you want with your equipment, but it must be voluntary and the devs would never implement this since it only affects a fraction of the players and they have more important things to work on.
    edited August 2014
    This is the opposite of truth. There are not many small fleets out that that consume dil. If there were, there wouldn't be dil inflation because demand for dil would not have dropped.

The real world cant be the way it is, and what you say also be true at the same time.

The game cries out for dil sinks, the price of zen is too high.
    tekehd wrote: »
    There are many small fleets out there in desperate need of dil. That is truth, that is fact. If your "theories" are saying something different, then either they are built on faulty information.... or the theories themselves are bollocks.

Both my Fed and KDF fleets that are a few years old are small as it is pretty much just a bunch of close friends only. We are always in a situation of having a demand for Dilithium and fleet marks more than anything else. I am sure that there are many other fleets out there like ours that are in about the same situation. Easier to get commodities and DOffs for us that to get all the Dil needed to complete the more time sensible and financially feasible projects so we are almost always waiting dil to complete projects.
    edited August 2014
    It is a fact that dil sinks are filling up.

People are done with reputations, fleets are done.

In addition to all the demand for buying dil priced equipment, there used to be huge extra dil sinks from fleets.

It's already been established that that isn't true.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    calexista wrote: »
    Both my Fed and KDF fleets that are a few years old are small as it is pretty much just a bunch of close friends only. We are always in a situation of having a demand for Dilithium and fleet marks more than anything else. I am sure that there are many other fleets out there like ours that are in about the same situation. Easier to get commodities and DOffs for us that to get all the Dil needed to complete the more time sensible and financially feasible projects so we are almost always waiting dil to complete projects.

Indeed, small fleet like yours, getting a couple handfulls of doffs or commodities.... easy. Fleet marks are abit easlier but small fleets cna struggle on them.... dil costs are horrendous..... when you have projects that take up to weeks of straight daily refining by a few people to even fill. Having multiple toons in different types of fleets it's east to see.... my toons in big ones, we can fill a 300,000+ dil project in less than a day.... in the small ones it can be open for months.

OP's idea is the equivalent of taking a gun out, putting it to the head of small fleets and just pulling the trigger. If the OP is so concerned about his perceived excess of dil, thn he can ask for an invite to one of our fleets and dump all this spare dill that exists there.
    edited August 2014
    Indeed, small fleet like yours, getting a couple handfulls of doffs or commodities.... easy. Fleet marks are abit easlier but small fleets cna struggle on them.... dil costs are horrendous..... when you have projects that take up to weeks of straight daily refining by a few people to even fill. Having multiple toons in different types of fleets it's east to see.... my toons in big ones, we can fill a 300,000+ dil project in less than a day.... in the small ones it can be open for months.

OP's idea is the equivalent of taking a gun out, putting it to the head of small fleets and just pulling the trigger. If the OP is so concerned about his perceived excess of dil, thn he can ask for an invite to one of our fleets and dump all this spare dill that exists there.

Yes, but anytime someone asks him to put his money where his mouth is, (or even answer simple questions) he pretends he doesn't understand what they mean.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    It is a fact that dil sinks are filling up.

People are done with reputations, fleets are done.

In addition to all the demand for buying dil priced equipment, there used to be huge extra dil sinks from fleets.

It is not a lack of demand as there is still much to use the dil on. Especially now that the new crafting system is released, Small fleets that still need to progress, Fleet Gear for players, Fleet requisition projects so that you can buy the fleet consumables from your fleet, Doffs, Resource relief doff project for crafting mats. Not all players are done gearing or leveling rep not all fleets are done progressing. Many casual players and fleets in fact are barely even scratching the surface of the dil requirements it is the cost of the zen that keeps most of the people I know from buying zen just for Dil to complete the many dil sinks that are already there. A sale on Zen that increases the supply of zen is needed more than the new Dil sinks to encourage people to buy the zen to get dil. As it is to me currently my very little extra money is worth more dil than the current rate is but I am not willing to buy zen for much more than 150 dil. My friends are the same way Money is tight for many players which is part of the reason they play this game.

Money is tight and you need dil are you going to go for a quick purchase of dil at 80 dil per zen or are you going to wait for it to get to 150 dil per zen before you put your zen up if there is no discount on the cost of zen. I for one will wait until the dil amount is up to the 150 or higher before I buy any dil no matter the demand for dil as nothing in the game is so important that I have to have it right now at a higher cost to me. So once again without a sale on zen I can not see the rate dropping back down anytime soon no matter how many dil sinks they add.

But I can see it having an adverse affect on the game adding too many dil sinks to the game driving the players away. We already saw many players driven away with the starbase Dil sink. I can only imagine how it would drive more players away adding the sink to the game via the destruction of items. That is part of what I don't like about eve after having tried it. (The destruction of your ship on a death) If you need more Dil sinks yourself deck out more ships, Get more character slots and grind up again, Join or create your own small fleet and grind that up. If it is just looking for the exchange rate to go back to the lower prices then buy up a bunch of Zen and put it up for the lower prices (don't know why anyone would do that)
    edited August 2014
    People have posted a lot of gibberish that is hard to make sense of.

If there was any way I could cause this beneficial change to be put into effect through action, I would do it without even one moment's hesitation. I would put all of my money where my virtuous mouth is.

Please always bear in mind, my passion is for GLOBAL solutions.

Well it good that you are not on the dev team isn't it.

Also I'm calling bs on this "gibberish" that you fail to "make sense of."
    I have read this whole thread and any time you pull that excuse, the question asked of you was clear and very easy to understand.
    You just want to dodge questions you don't like.

Either way your silly little idea will never be a part of this game, and I thank God and the devs for this fact.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014

If there was any way I could cause this beneficial change to be put into effect through action, I would do it without even one moment's hesitation. I would put all of my money where my virtuous mouth is.

Please always bear in mind, my passion is for GLOBAL solutions.

And Global solutions never work. So unless you turn everyone into the Borg which is ethically permissible since it deal the greatest global good in removing hunger, crime, and war while only having a little amount of harm done to them according to your definition, people will always oppose global solutions due to everyone being different.

Your problem is that dilithium is too high, but not everyone believes that. Therefore, any global solution you come up with will annoy players just like any solution Cryptic comes up with will annoy some players. Lots of us have stated that item destruction will actually raise dilithium prices due to players not using the current dilithium sinks any more. If you think we would risk our equipment that we have spent time on acquiring, then you are gravely mistaken.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I lost ship gear while playing I'd put all green MK V on my ship and still queue up for elite.

I don't know if that would solve the problem OP is trying to fix
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2014

Exactly my fleets I have 8 toons in the KDF one and 9 in the Fed one. What ever dil I can make for the day between all the toons 50% to 75% goes into the fleet projects the rest is for my personal rep projects, gear or to convert to zen for services/new ships. I already spend enough dil just trying to keep up with my projects and the fleet as do the other 3 semi active casual members of my fleets to add the replacing destroyed items would just drive us all farther away than just being a casual player.

As it is I spent a fair chunk of money on the game when I could afford it To expect casual players to have to grind even more or spend money to replace gear that was destroyed would ruin the game as I am sure that many the players that choose to play do so for it being a free game that you can still make progress in as a casual player. The goal of a game is too be fun and what fun is it to be stuck grinding for stuff you have already ground out on that toon before?

Sure SWG was fun even with taking durability damage but the gear could be repaired but it got to be stupid with the destroying the gear and then having to have a new one made so they got rid of that feature of the game with very few complaints compared to if the feature was added after. Can you imagine what would happen on say WoW for example (Massive player base MMO) if once your gear reached 0 durability it was destroyed after you spent a few months grinding to get the character all geared up? How many of the 7 mill or so players would keep playing? Only the hardcore players would stick around.

If you did that on a game like STO that has what a few 100K players, how many would stick around Fed side would look like the KDF currently does for queues. oten not having non elite queues being the only things that pop, Fleet Alert queues are nearly non existent at often more than 20 mins to wait for 5 players to enter. I think that the dil sinks are fine as they are. Probably a new rep coming in October giving us around 2 months to get all the Crafting branches to level 20 that you can sink Dil into in the meantime if you have ran out of things to spend dil on yourself. The ship upgrade from T5 to T6 would make for a nice spot to sink dil for many if they go that route instead of the zen module ideal like the fleet ships this time. Too bad no word on that. (Not say that will be the case tho)

Right now the target audience of the game is the casual player and most casual players don't want to bother with a hardcore mechanic like this idea. They just want to jump in and play for their 20 mins to a few hours when they have the time and not worry about losing progress. Casual players generally want to feel like progress was made for what little time that were able to jump on for, and Cryptic knows this so that is what they are catering to. Not the Hardcore group that would make things stressful and near impossible for a casual to get in enjoy and maybe spend money on their game when their wallets permit. My friends and I spend money on games that we find fun at that time not a game that stresses us out makes us feel like we have to spend money to keep advancing.

Your idea leads to the very dangerous pay 2 win model that they are trying to steer away from. The Fleet modules, Lottery ships, Cstore ships are already dangerously close enough, the Item destruction would push it over the edge. Can you just imagine the P2W comments that would come from the destroyed module having to keep replacing all that Fleet equipment with Dil that you would get to the point of having to pay zen to get the dil just to stay competitive? no thank you... I will not have a part of that.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Again, people would simply use gear they could handle losing.

It won't be p2w because you going to not buy purples you will never actually use.

Sidenote, wow lost 1 million people since february

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-of-********-loses-800-000-subscribers-in-thr/1100-6421529/
  • yakoov5yakoov5 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added. When your ship explodes, there should be say a 10% chance that one of your items is destroyed. Items that could be reclaimed for free like prize ship and c store consoles should be excluded from this.

What I mean is, if your ship blows up, you should have a 10% chance of losing at random one of your weapons, consoles, engine, deflector, etc.

This loss should be permanent and require purchasing a new one from fleet or rep stores.

I also think that in PvP the chance of an item being destroyed on death should be much higher, as high as 30%.

PvP is obnoxiously boring in STO because there are no stakes at all involved.

Stakes make games compelling and immersive because they increase by a large factor the excitement of playing.

Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks, this would also help with dil inflation by forcing people who failed in combat to purchase new dil-cost items.

This is a terrible idea for several reasons, but the main one is the fast that they would have to completely redo the entire combat system. Think about this; say you're fighting the borg and your ship gets blown up, AND YOU LOSE YOUR ENGINE. You CANNOT MOVE WITHOUT AN ENGINE! MISSION OVER.
    If you lose your warp core You CANNOT GO ANYWHERE. You would need to carry all sorts of spare parts to keep from getting stranded. And even if you do, what is you respawn in the middle of the combat zone, say, without shields? Once you're on red alert you can't modify your ship in combat. It give spawn spammers major ammo in PvP.
    The only way I could see this being interesting is if the items are not destroyed, but just damaged. Then you could be able to repair them in or out of combat, but even then, I do not think that would go well with this game; It's just not STO's style.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yakoov5 wrote: »
    Think about this; say you're fighting the borg and your ship gets blown up, AND YOU LOSE YOUR ENGINE. You CANNOT MOVE WITHOUT AN ENGINE! MISSION OVER.

If you lose your warp core You CANNOT GO ANYWHERE.

You would need to carry all sorts of spare parts to keep from getting stranded. And even if you do, what is you respawn in the middle of the combat zone, say, without shields?

Then maybe if Cryptic implements the OP's dumb idea, people would stop saying how utterly easy PvE is. And how Elite STFs are so friggen easy you can do 'em in shuttles.
    edited August 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Then maybe if Cryptic implements the OP's dumb idea, people would stop saying how utterly easy PvE is. And how Elite STFs are so friggen easy you can do 'em in shuttles.

Last time I checked you couldn't bring a shuttle into ESTFs.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
This discussion has been closed.