test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Item Destruction - the feature the game desperately needs.

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added. When your ship explodes, there should be say a 10% chance that one of your items is destroyed. Items that could be reclaimed for free like prize ship and c store consoles should be excluded from this.

What I mean is, if your ship blows up, you should have a 10% chance of losing at random one of your weapons, consoles, engine, deflector, etc.

This loss should be permanent and require purchasing a new one from fleet or rep stores.

I also think that in PvP the chance of an item being destroyed on death should be much higher, as high as 30%.

PvP is obnoxiously boring in STO because there are no stakes at all involved.

Stakes make games compelling and immersive because they increase by a large factor the excitement of playing.

Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks, this would also help with dil inflation by forcing people who failed in combat to purchase new dil-cost items.
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, losing my ridiculously expensive fleet items wouldn't be bad at all. It's not like I spent months grinding them out.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The PvP forums is downwards...

People said "no" before... the "Desperate need" you're talking about... It's all in your imagination.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Why do you hate my nice things? Is it because you do not possess nice things?
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Because what you're proposing won't immediately favor certain players with certain high-DPS builds at all, and therefore widen the gulf that already exists between PvPers and non-PvPers.

Possibly the worst idea i've heard all week. And this has been a week of bad ideas for STO.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • nymysys1nymysys1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added. When your ship explodes, there should be say a 10% chance that one of your items is destroyed. Items that could be reclaimed for free like prize ship and c store consoles should be excluded from this.

What I mean is, if your ship blows up, you should have a 10% chance of losing at random one of your weapons, consoles, engine, deflector, etc.

This loss should be permanent and require purchasing a new one from fleet or rep stores.

I also think that in PvP the chance of an item being destroyed on death should be much higher, as high as 30%.

Stakes make games compelling and immersive because they increase by a large factor the excitement of playing.

Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks, this would also help with dil inflation by forcing people who failed in combat to purchase new dil-cost items.

This is not Eve Online. I love Eve and have spent the majority of my MMO hobby career there, but this is not the same kind of game and never will be.

However, if you DO want to do it, do it better than Eve; permadeath for your character (you will have chance to make it to the escape pods, but only a chance).
    edited August 2014
    nymysys1 wrote: »
    This is not Eve Online. I love Eve and have spent the majority of my MMO hobby career there, but this is not the same kind of game and never will be.

However, if you DO want to do it, do it better than Eve; permadeath for your character (you will have chance to make it to the escape pods, but only a chance).

There is no such thing as Perma-death in Star Trek. You fall into a wormhole, cloned, it was an alien with your face, the phaser was set to stun the whole time, Janeway changed history, blah blah blah.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This idea will never get any support due to the casual nature of the game. If this game focus was Eve players, then it would be another story. STO players don't like actual risk while playing the game. Therefore, the game would have to be hardcore and such a transition would make STO lose a bunch of players and it is doubtful that enough hardcore players would actually play to recoup the losses.
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yyyyeah... No.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
    edited August 2014
    It could work if we were not talking destruction, but only damage...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh by the way, our friend the invisible 1-shot Borg torpedo says hi.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Having to pay for repairs, ok. Perma-destruction? How about no.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
    edited August 2014
    This would reduce the dil cost of zen and make it easier to get nice things.

So you're saying that gear should cost 5 dil?

Im down with that.
    edited August 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Oh by the way, our friend the invisible 1-shot Borg torpedo says hi.

Cloaked projectile weaponry? Gee, I wonder what bone headed species would invent such a thing?

*looks at Romulans*

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    Dil inflation is harmful to everyone who grinds dil to get zen.

Destructable items doesn't solve that problem. In fact, the human nature to be greedy is probably something you can't solve.
    edited August 2014
    This are idea is often acclaimed as an ec sink. For example, destroying money when you post items for sale on the exchange.

It is perverse that the would be support from some corners and crevices for destroying ec to sink it, because ec inflation isn't a bad thing, but no support for destroying dil as a sink.

Dil inflation is harmful to everyone who grinds dil to get zen, a large proportion of the population and a vital part of free to play.

I think that while in the short term people might complain that failing in combat caused them to lose an item, in the long term they would be happy as the price of zen decreased by a large amount, and this additional happiness would outweigh the original unhappiness. Especially because cheaper zen would be good for everyone, while losing items would only be bad for people who frequently failed in combat.

You do know that a great deal of people are here because of the causal nature?

Even when there was no dil and only EC, people objected to the nutty idea... What makes you think that people are willing to pay with the even harder to get dil?

I do have a solution though: Everytime you die, you delete one random item... That way, you get your way, and the rest of us can go on without being punished for your bad idea.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I look forward to your Twitch show where you roll a d10 for every death and delete an item to prove just how fun that is.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
    edited August 2014
    You're being punished now by the high price of zen.

This idea, being a dil sink, would lower the price of zen and lead to a better outcome for you and everyone else.

Fortunally, I am not dumb enough to use the Dil exchange...

Edit: Seriously: EVERYTHING is a Dil sink in STO...
    Reputation? Yup... Dil sink...
    Fleet? Yup... Dil sink...
    RnD? Yup... Dil sink...
    Ships? Dil sink...
    Duty Officers? Dil sink...

You just want this because you think it's a good idea... not because it actually is.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Ummm,... No!
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I dunno... What'S next.

"THis game needs less customization".

"Reputation Grind is way too short, particularly for sponsored characters"

"Too many SFX are played during combat"

"Remove all the old starships, this is the 25th century, no one wants to fly an Excelsior anymore!"

"Science Vessels shouldn't have weapons."

"Borg way too strong!"

anazonda wrote: »
    The PvP forums is downwards...

People said "no" before... the "Desperate need" you're talking about... It's all in your imagination.
    I don't thin kmany PvPers feel a need to rebuy their fleet and reputation gear. Or are you sending him there because less people would see it and get stupid ideas? If so, smart idea and I support you.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's a fine game mechanic...but it would be a fundamental shift in STO's design philosophy, and turn it into a very different game. One I don't think Cryptic is interested in making.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited August 2014
    Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks.

Can't tell if serious.
    edited August 2014
    I don't thin kmany PvPers feel a need to rebuy their fleet and reputation gear. Or are you sending him there because less people would see it and get stupid ideas? If so, smart idea and I support you.

I apologize... It just seemed like such a PvP compatible question... You know... The kind of idea that would originate there.
  • landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't approve of the deletion of an item. Creating a cost to repair damage I'm okay with as long as the cost doesn't exceed 75% of the items in game value or your ship when destroyed is unavailable for no more than a day. But the permanent loss of my ship I purchased with real currency is way too harsh and certainly not something I wouldn't support.
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    look while your idea is sound in other games this isnt one of those.

if you wana give this a try go ahead put it on youtube stream it what ever you could probably get a big subscirber base for doing it.

but forcing that on other players who for the past 4 years have not had to worry about it just not cool.

even when cryptic put in the damaged ship debuffs they made it optional(untill elite stfs but those are supposed to be elite)

good luck with what ever you choose to do but this idea died before you typed the first letter
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is not EvE Online.

A resounding NO! from me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So is it fair to say you pay for zen items with dil only and do not use real money to purchase zen?
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    About a year ago, one zen cost only about 80 dil.

Now it costs nearly double that.

The game DESPERATELY needs new dil sinks.

It is the absolute unmitigated top priority.

Ok I think I get it now. He's roleplaying!
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Srsly, WTF???

This game already turned into a grind, so yeah make us grind even more cuz we lose our items. Awesome idea!

ps:
    And pls punish all those PvP'ers by destroying their gear although there's NO reward for PvP at all.

pps:
    Pls stop posting on the forums if you hate this game and it's players that much! Also, you might hit the uninstall button.
    edited August 2014
    I want it because I think it is a good idea for *everyone*

Because something must be done about the outrageous inflation in dil, because it costs almost twice as much dil to get zen as it did a bit more than a year ago.

The game cries out for dil sinks, mine is a very *fair* one that affects all people alike, and which all people alike will *benefit* from.

Yea, well I think its an insanely stupid idea... The fact that you can't see the ton of dil sinks alone is a counter to your silly suggestion.

Apart from that, the fact that you can pretty much blow up in a second if you aren't prepared against the PVE INVISIBLE torps makes it even siller.

AND it gets worse: There are 120K crit builds out there... Even the best prepared cruiser can't stand up to that...

So... All in all a bad and misguided idea.
This discussion has been closed.