test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Item Destruction - the feature the game desperately needs.

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    More is better.

But you don't get more. You just make other people have less.

Why is that good?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Why is that good?

Its just being spiteful and vindictive.
    edited August 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Its just being spiteful and vindictive.

I know, but I'm trying to get him to admit it.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    If what you have doesn't change, I can only get more by adding to my own hoard.

But if you get less, I can have MORE without having to get anything additional.

Why does having more then other people matter? This is what I want you to tell me.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    Then you haven't been paying attention have you?

The global aim of this global solution is to reduce the crushing burden of the price of zen, eliminate the ennui inherent in any system with no stakes, and bring about a bright new day for the game.

Improving PvP is ONE SMALL BENEFIT out of MANY BROAD BENEFITS. Your fixation on it blinds you to the bigger picture. Let it go, its ok.

I50-160 is hardly a crushing burden, and if you think it is then you are doing it wrong.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    In the broadest sense, one definition of "more" is "better," so it is good in itself to have more.

In the miniscule and tiny world of PvP, which is a competition, having more gives you a competitive advantage which improves your chance of winning, and in a competition like the nano-scale world of PvP, winning is EVERYTHING.

There is a big assumption you are making.
    edited August 2014
    No, it is being COMPETITIVE. PvP can only ever be a COMPETITION.

In the global sense, this beneficial change I proposed would help everyone across the board, since it would reduce the crushing price of zen.

In the miniscule PvP community, it would improve the experience for PvPers.

Some pvpers.

but for the majority it would drive them away and make this games already anemic pvp community practically non-existent.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Why is that good?

You obvously did not read the first message, or have already forgotten it. The original argument was that it was a fainely balanced PVP Match... You know, the sort folks claim they want, equivalent gear and ships where skill and a little good fortune determined the winner.

HOWEVER, once player was destroyed (as will happen in PVP) and loses a piece of gear. his ship is now qualitatively inferior ro his oponent, and the match continues with the now inferior player suffering a handicap.

BY DEFENITION handicapping one player is benefitting the other in thissort of ZERO SUM situation.

It is really that simple, (X-1<X)=(X>X-1)

Assuming therefore that they began in the same place the player who lost capability is less capable/effective than the player who did not lose anything, Therefore the player who did not lose something is now superior.
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not only no, but OH F&*K NO
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014

In the miniscule PvP community, it would improve the experience for PvPers.

I'm pretty sure those certain PvP'ers who use every exclusive console and cheese in the game as a crutch would have something to say about that. Never mind the fact most of them hate losing already, never mind the chance for said toys to randomly disappear.
    edited August 2014
    In the broadest sense, one definition of "more" is "better," so it is good in itself to have more.

In the miniscule and tiny world of PvP, which is a competition, having more gives you a competitive advantage which improves your chance of winning, and in a competition like the nano-scale world of PvP, winning is EVERYTHING.

Ok then. What benefit to pvp would item destruction have over temporary disablement?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    My concerns are altruistic. I myself have and can generate huge amounts of dil because I am such a productive player, but it isn't me I'm worried about, I am covered in gravy, I will be fine one way or another.

My motives are altruistic, I am seeking global solutions for global problems, a problem that affects the Workingman, not people like me.

I think people like me have an obligation to help the workingman don't you?

In this instance, your help is neither required nor desired.

And this is coming from a "Working man."

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    My concerns are altruistic. I myself have and can generate huge amounts of dil because I am such a productive player, but it isn't me I'm worried about, I am covered in gravy, I will be fine one way or another.

My motives are altruistic, I am seeking global solutions for global problems, a problem that affects the Workingman, not people like me.

I think people like me have an obligation to help the workingman don't you?

yeah, as a workig man, please, stip rtying to help :)

Also, someone mentioned the "crushing" cost of Zen? ROFLMAO! Go look at neverwinter to see a game that is desperately in need of a DIl (equivalent) sink.
    edited August 2014
    Having participated in real PvP before, I disagree based on extensive personal experience, as well as a good understanding of human motives.

Right now PvP is a hollow, ghastly, empty shell because there is no *point* to it. You can't win anything doing it. No matter what happens in pvp, you can never get MORE.

Adding these high stakes would add excitement to it, it would give people the chance, for the first time in STO, to get MORE by doing PvP.

Depriving you opponent of gear (once the match has ended) not getting you more though.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    Temporary disablement is not your opponent having less.

Beyond why the time frame of the match why does your oppent having less matter? I get the during the battle the handicap is a benefit, why would you care about after they are done?

How does that person having less then you after that benefit you?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    Math says something different.

X > X-1.

X is more than X minus one.

If I have X and my opponent has X minus one, I have more.

This isn't open to interpretation or dispute, it is a fundamental fact of truth and a basic underpinning of mathematics.

But you haven't gained anything. Not a single solitary thing.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am beginning to suspect that the suggestion comes more from greed than actual concern for the game.

The OP's suggestion would raise the Dil->Zen conversion price... not lower it... I suspect he knows this very well.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited August 2014
    Right now PvP is a hollow, ghastly, empty shell because there is no *point* to it. You can't win anything doing it. No matter what happens in pvp, you can never get MORE.

Congratulations, you ust described PVP and PVE in every on-line non professional game. this ain't Pro SC2 or DOTA or LOL. there is no real world reward for any of this. EVERYTHING is virtual. doen for fun and personal enjoyment/fulfillment.

and i still haven't seen an actual answer to the question of WHY do we need a Dil sink over and above the ones already in the game?

The core, fundamental question behind any argument made thus far is "Because i think there should/needs to be one" Which is something which can be gratuitously dismissed as i thas no backing save personal opinion. Yeah, my opsition that we don't need one also is personal opinion, but it is backed by the status quo. You want change, give su a GOOD argument as for why.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I cant interpret your contempt for these people as anything besides an endorsement of my plan.

Good man!

Ooo check you out with those fancy adult words.

I can only go from my own experience, and my only real PvP experience is Ker'rat. And believe me friend, some of the rage that goes on in there is incredible for a game where the worst thing that can happen is 10 seconds in re-spawn oblivion.

Can you imagine the reaction if they re-spawned to find the console most critical to their build or strategy is missing? I can admit it would be funny to watch, but I'm quite sure the player who suffered the defeat wouldn't find it so funny.
    edited August 2014
    I can answer you in a single sentence:

Because the price of zen is too high.

No it isn't

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    PvP is its own reward - your plan is just not only a bad idea, it will drive away PvPers on mass. Kerrat will literally die if this is implemented even in a toned down form, and premade PvP will suffer immensely as well.

If you want to make PvP rewarding, add rewards. Not take away items.

Come to Ker'rat sometime, and run a test session of your idea - trust me, you'll come to your senses afterwards once the HoBOs see you and reduce your ship to scrap.
  • quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I feel like I died and woke up in 2010. Haven't we re-hashed this debate enough?

Item destruction is nothing more than a pointless frustration factor. The injury system functions fine as a death penalty.
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Somebody should just close and lock this thread.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
    edited August 2014
    Because if that person has less than you, you have more than him, and more is better.
    Gaining more in relation to yourself is better, but how is having more then someone else after the battle is over in any a boon for you if you haven't gained something?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    No it isn't

Exactly. Zen Sellers are happy to sell, Zen buyers are happy to buy.
    edited August 2014
    Make a thread asking if people think zen should cost more or less dil. Do a poll.

I'm fairly sure polls are against the rules here.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sometimes we have to look for a global solution, when local willingness to commit does not rise to the occasions.

I don't have to tell you, no one commits to any of the changes imposed on the game, they aren't made optional, its always "take it or go."

We should follow the best exhortations to put our hands on the 'arc of history' and bend it toward a better path.

And who are you to say that this is a better path. There is a huge difference between walking away from a mugging in progress and trying to implement a system that might drop the Dilithium Exchange rate.

If such a system was implemented by Cryptic, then I would be along with almost everyone else raging against Cryptic to change it back. I would immediately change all my equipment to commons from the Vendor store and store all my valuable equipment in my Bank and unused ships. I am almost certain that the majority of players would either quit or just use common equipment and have common gear in their inventory. I never rage against anything Cryptic has ever done due to my mellow nature, but there is always a first time for everything.

This change will likely have the opposite effect of what you want. The various dilithium sinks in the game would not be used as much since they are all about getting valuable equipment and the number of people that would actually use the current dilithium sinks and the dilithium repairs will never make up for the amount of dilithium currently used up in the various dilithium sinks. So instead of going down to 100 like you want, it might shoot up to 300 or higher.
    edited August 2014
    The HOBOs cant hurt me because my ship is KDF.

And the Fedball? Even the best HoBOs can only take so many Feds at once.
    edited August 2014
    I can answer you in a single sentence:

Because the price of zen is too high.

SORRY but that is insufficient, It is too high because YOU sy it is. Statements of opinion are nto valid arguments.

Would I like the prce of Zen to drop? Certainly, i'm a free player with a rather limited income after all, but it it sells at Al tab to check current price) at 159D/Z Then that is what it sells for. That is, RIGHT NOW, the current market price. WANTING it to be lower is all well and good, but it is not an argument for it.
    edited August 2014
    X > X - 1.

More is better.

Can you answer my question without using the words "more is better?"

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
This discussion has been closed.