test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Galaxy "Reboot" Feedback

Comments

• twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Just made my first flight with Fleet Galaxy. And you can really only do 1 thing with it: A2B. My boff layout was as follows:

TS1
    TT1, BFAW2
    EPtS, A2B1, DEM2, RSP3
    EPtW1, A2B1, EWP1
    TSS1, HE2

So, that's no Attack Patterns. Maybe BFAW1/APB1 could work, but then you have no TT (or just remove the TS1, if you're not using the Gravimetric Torp, like I do).

How did it perform? Simply put: like a low-end A2B build. It works, but is not stellar. It doesn't outperform, say, an Ody. I did ca. 5k with in in Starbase Fleet Defense (I usually do double that).

And that Lance? When it pricks you, you bleed. :)

So, whilst cute, it's also not very tanky. Can't get an APD1/APO1 going for hefty perma-resists (with 2 Zemoks). And the lack of Tact stations kinda mandate that you forego on an A2D build (also for the perma-resists). So, it's back to needing a Neutronium.

In everything, it's clearly an older ship, requiring an older fitting style. But it's iconic, for sure; and I felt like a true Fed again, since a long time, showing up at ESD in it.

No offence, but even before the update I used to break 5k in a non-A2B build, in a regular version, and I'm not a particularly fanatical player, in terms of max dps runs. Like you said, it's an older ship - it might pay off to run builds that actually fit it's layout (hint: because of the limited and low-level tac slots, it's actually less suited to A2B, despite current popular misconception that everything does better on A2B).

Have you considered non-A2B options? 2xFaW/Beam Attack Doffs +EPtX doffs? Such as 2x FaW + full or doffed EPtX cycle+Aux2SIF/doffed A2D combo? Leaves you lots of space to add more heals or dual DEM and RSP, depending on what you want to do. This layout is so eng-heavy it can easily support dual copies of your eng skills, freeing up doffs, aux power and the A2B boff slots... It should be tanky enough, while offering plenty of dps.

Edit: myself, for instance, I've been looking at using the Saucer sep console as an APO/A2D replacement, because of the flat +10 to turn, with something like this:
    TT1
    FaW1, FaW2
    EPtS1, RSP1, EPtW3, Aux2SIF3
    ET1, RSP1, Aux2Damp2
    TSS1, HE2

With 1 A2D doff, 2 TT doffs, 2 purple EPtX doffs and either the cleanse doff or the RSP doff. Maybe switch one RSP with Aux2SIF.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It definitely should at least be brought up to par with the D'D. The whole "but but it's a tank" argument kind of falls flat when it's sub par even in that irrelevant capacity. The odyssey and D'D tank circles around that piece of TRIBBLE.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2014
    Hmm only downside to that boff layout is you cant really a2b build with it (need at least 2 Lt slots for engineering)

Sure you could run GW1+FAW3 and 1 A2b, but would it really be as good as having FAW2 and 2 A2b's? I prefer the Mirror Heavy cruiser boff layout, but we already have that with the ambassador
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    And, no offense, but it will no doubt look like what everybody else is fitting too. I'd be honestly much more interested in your "My detailed 30k premade group tactics!"

No offense taken but i've anticipated this particle nitpick and have several 30K+ parses saved with sub 10k groups.

with a "30k premade group" it hits in the mid 40ks.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2014
    So sick of seeing people who think every ship needs a Lt com tact slot...just because the GalX can use DHC doesnt mean it should, and the fact it only has a Lt slot just proves the point further (You gonna choose rapid 1 or volley 1? cause you cant do both) its changes make it a pretty impressive FAW boat...better then a fleet assault cruiser? youll have to ask yourself if FAW 3 is worth more then saucer sep/+ a Hanger+Lance thats going to be a opinion based response. Regardless its a good ship now when done right.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    twam wrote: »
    Have you considered non-A2B options? 2xFaW/Beam Attack Doffs +EPtX doffs? Such as 2x FaW + full or doffed EPtX cycle+Aux2SIF/doffed A2D combo? Leaves you lots of space to add more heals or dual DEM and RSP, depending on what you want to do. This layout is so eng-heavy it can easily support dual copies of your eng skills, freeing up doffs, aux power and the A2B boff slots... It should be tanky enough, while offering plenty of dps.

Sure, BFAW1/BFAW2 + TT1 (plus Conn Officer), in an A2D build, would work too; and is actually more my usual play-style anyway. The Lt. Cmdr Engineer station makes it so you can use 2x EPtS1 and 2x EPtW3, and 2x A2D1, all together. And that's probably what I'll wind up doing. :) Like:

TT1
    BFAW1, BFAW2
    EPtS1, A2D1, EPtW3, RSP3
    EPtS1, A2D1, EPtW3
    TSS1, HE2

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2014
    No offense taken but i've anticipated this particle nitpick and have several 30K+ parses saved with sub 10k groups.

with a "30k premade group" it hits in the mid 40ks.

Well, in that case, I look forward to your next post. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Yep, that'll work :)

Should be both effective and very tanky, methinks.
    edited March 2014
    twam wrote: »
    Yep, that'll work :)

Should be both effective and very tanky, methinks.

Yeah; I actually feel kinda ashamed a bit, yelling so loud, earlier, that this really needed a Lt. Cmdr station. Force of habit, I suppose. :eek: But your post made me realize a 2nd Lt. Cmdr Engineer might actually be quite useful. I should just let go of that torp too, and just make a straightforward, wicked beam-boat. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    Sure, BFAW1/BFAW2 + TT1 (plus Conn Officer), in an A2D build, would work too; and is actually more my usual play-style anyway. The Lt. Cmdr Engineer station makes it so you can use 2x EPtS1 and 2x EPtW3, and 2x A2D1, all together. And that's probably what I'll wind up doing. :) Like:

TT1
    BFAW1, BFAW2
    EPtS1, A2D1, EPtW3, RSP3
    EPtS1, A2D1, EPtW3
    TSS1, HE2

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

a2d dragon? That actually looks very good.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Two things to bring the Gal-X up to other dreadnoughts.

1. BOFF layout.

Cmdr: Eng
    LTcmdr: tac
    LT: Sci
    LT: universal
    Eng: Eng

That way the LT universal slot can be used to supplement ANYTHING. But now you have a LTcmdr that can actually take advantage of the tac consoles.

Second Phase Lance. Yes you have a variation if you use it with saucer sep which sounds cool[haven't seen it since i don't have the saucer sep module.] But the static version still is underwhelming. IMHO the lance should be damn near as powerful as the Thalaron pulse. Granted it can't be used to nail more than one target, but IMHO the lance should be able to gut just about any ship it hits, or atleast do MASSIVE damage.

Sorry phase lance just doesn't cut it, neither does the BOFF setup. Tell me I'm wrong about the lance.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • captain185captain185 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes i'm complaining about these changes as they are superficial and do nothing really to bring the X up to par with other cruisers

I just got my revamped X last night, and I believe it helped immensely. I also put runabouts in the hangar. But seriously, when you separate, not only do you have all your weapons in the stardrive section, but the saucer fights with its own weapons as well. Add the two pairs of shuttles, and it is a fierce ship. IMHO I like the X more now.
    So, I just push the buttons and things blow up? Fascinating...
    edited March 2014
    @Talonxv:

I agree on the Lance - though I'd already be content with it being on the level of the Guramba, tbh (shorter cooldown and less [acc] issues.

That layout looks excellent, sure, but I still think the Gal-X layout is actually fine, for what it is. It's the Dreadnought for the Feds and as such, imo, can have a slightly different focus than the Scimitar (brute power for a warlike f(r)action) or the KDF one (they actually don't even have a Dreadnought, do they?). The Gal-X is actually fine as a kind of ship that gets fired on first, survives and THEN punches back. A good lance, coupled with the 4 tac consoles on the fleet version actually offer that chance, I think. Fits better with the brute violence as last resort only kind of ideology, and all.
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Massive thread merge. Because there's no need for a dozen threads all saying the same things.

The thread I started was specifically about giving the Galaxy Retrofit some love. It got nothing! It needs the boff layout of the D'D, or something similar.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The thread I started was specifically about giving the Galaxy Retrofit some love. It got nothing! It needs the boff layout of the D'D, or something similar.

And there's the "Galaxy Beef" thread as well. Between these two threads, most of the feedback is more than covered.

So let's not err on the side of commenting about moderation because that doesn't end well.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh for the love of god. Bluegeek why did you have to merge my thread with all the others? I went out of my way to ask precise questions nice and calmly hoping that someone might drop in and give us some rationale behind the Gal-r changes (or lack of). With everything merged in here the devs will NEVER come and answer questions, because they seem to avoid big topics like this... :confused:
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    A Hangar will really help to boost its damage potential (Elite Scorps anyone?).

It DID need Saucer Separation to be able to MOVE enough to justify Dual Heavy Cannons.

The 10th Console not being defined is silly...

As for the Universal Station... yeee-aaah... That makes no sense whatsoever. What this ship needs is not less potential Tactical seating it NEEDS less potential Engineering seating and MORE potential Tactical seating BADLY.

As for it comparing to the Scimitar... :D:D:D LOL!!! ROFL!!! LMFAO!!! Are you kidding? Does ANYTHING compare to the Scimitar? Do not even joke about that.

Will it compare with the Odyssey and Bortasqu' is the real question. The answer to which seems to be that it will likely be less tanky and still less deadly than the Odyssey and more tanky but less deadly than the Bortasqu' but at least it may be faster than the Bortasqu'.

The hangar is silly and the saucer separation does not justify "dual heavy cannons", there is nothing to justify "dual heavy cannons" - that is pure Cryptic.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So sick of seeing people who think every ship needs a Lt com tact slot...just because the GalX can use DHC doesnt mean it should, and the fact it only has a Lt slot just proves the point further (You gonna choose rapid 1 or volley 1? cause you cant do both) its changes make it a pretty impressive FAW boat...better then a fleet assault cruiser? youll have to ask yourself if FAW 3 is worth more then saucer sep/+ a Hanger+Lance thats going to be a opinion based response. Regardless its a good ship now when done right.

lol, you know what, I agree with you a little.. but... the galaxy "DREADNAUGHT" should at the very least have one..

its not like were talking about an oberth class, or a star cruiser.. no one complains about the star cruisers layout, cause we know there is a need for that kind of balance with builds and options.. but.. the galxy in tng, and the galaxy dreadnaught were represented as flag ship, ships you didn't want to mess with, that did lots of damage. not a ship that said, well, well waite it out, and see if we can take more damage than they can dish out..

further more, the galaxy r and galaxy dread. are outclassed by two vessels that are leaps and bounds older. (the excelsior, and the ambassador).

to be honest, the ambassador should have the galaxies boff layout, and the galaxy should have the excelsiors..
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for posting. The sound as you can hear is hissy but ok. Why don't you set it up on Phasers?

Also I'm not sure that 11 BnPs means you got first place in ISE, we've had people get that who were definitely not doing the most damage, afaik it's random.

Good vid anyway.
    I am currently working on getting a fleet phaser set up, especially with the revamp. All my resources were devoted to completing my PvP antiproton set up which i just did, so i've started gettting the fleet phaser consoles :D