What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Galaxy "Reboot" Feedback

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Firstly the Galaxy X is actually the original USS Enterpise D that Picard captained for many years, the fact that Riker added a BFG and another Nacelle is totally irrelevant and I am surprised you would dig this deep for an argument.

Secondly, you are wrong again, I know how many people in my 4 fleets are logging in on a daily basis and with over 800 members in total that is a reasonably representative sample size. The answer is a lot less than they used to. Sure they are not all staying away for the same reason of course, but the trend is downward over the last month for sure, in fact here's a graph: http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=9900&from=1391212800000&to=End+Time

On 4:4:14 ESO is live, and if it's half as good as I discovered from the open beta it's going to take a lot of people's game time up. We have fleet members on teamspeak now playing Eve and WoT, and just about all of them are waiting for Star Citizen. STO needs to up it's ante this year, and that will mean listening to us, the players, giving us what we want so that we don't even want to try out the new MMOs when they go live, we are far too committed to STO. Commitment is a two way street and from I've seen recently from dinosaurs with lasers on their heads to this sham of a reboot this avenue very much seems to be a one-way route.
    OMG, more strawman. Please, let me give you some baseless supposition too: My Fleet is larger then it has ever been - currently at 378. I am never on in the evenings where there are not at least 50 people in my Fleet online. From my perspective the game is doing better then it ever has.

See? Individual perspectives mean nothing - and Steam charts mean even less.

And please, be the first on the forum to tell me how another game that isn't even out yet is going to be the game killer. I have never heard that theory spouted on any game forum since I started playing MMOs with Ultima Online back in '97. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Why do Steam charts mean less? As Cryptic are too afraid to publicise their own metrics it is, as far as I know the only measure there is that is independent. Please tell me what is wrong with using that chart as representative sample, it's what opinion polls do all the time as you cannot ask every person in the country how they would vote, a representative sample is chosen, so do please tell me.
    Because Steam's job is to constantly promote new games on a regular basis. That is how they make money - via kickback from publishers wanting their game to reach a larger audience. It is the same reason that PW is introducing ARC - to promote all their games within their fan-base to maximize their profits.

You also need to understand the nature of FTP games. They are not about keeping players playing indefinitely like a Sub-based game. They are about volume and turn over. They understand that nearly half of the population has a dionysian personality and will constantly revolve around a number of different game trying to get their action fix. They expect players to come and go regularly as new updates are released, then tried, and then players move on when bored. It is entirely how the FTP model is designed to work. And now there is even less incentive for players to choose Steam over ARC - as ARC is offering gifts to those who use its system.
    The second point is very simple. There is a finite pool of people who play MMOs. Some percentage of that pool play STO only, some play STO and other MMOs. It is reasonable to assume that people will play the MMO they like the best most of the time.

Now in about 1 month time Elder Scrolls Online will be live. Some of the people that play STO and other MMOs will try it, some of them will prefer playing it to STO, therefore the number of people that play STO will fall. I have no idea by how much but it is more or less guaranteed to fall. Star Citizen is less certain because we don't know when it will be released, however when it is released I would think that it will further reduce the gaming pool size for STO.

I never said it would be a game killer, those are your words not mine, I simply stated that Cryptic need to do their best to make STO a more attractive proposition than the new MMOs so that they retain their player base, it's really not that hard is it.
    Every single game is competition for every other single game. New games get a flood of people the first few months, and then there is always a huge drop off when people realize X game is not for them. This is the norm in the industry. People flocked to SWTOR, GW2, etc - and they will do the same for ESO and SC.

Within the industry Consoles are what is killing the MMO market, not other MMOs - which is probably why NWNs is being converted to Console; and I expect STO will follow suit in a few years.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No, you trying to use Steam metrics that only track Steam players and Steam is not a requirement to play the game, in fact Steam is not even a requirement to play the game after installing it by Steam.

This is like using a sample of white people that live in Maine and say they represent the entirely of the US of A.

Well thats assuming the steam population is not representative for the whole community. I think it is quite a good sample size to gain at least rough trends from it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As we have no other ship references from that episode's era we have no idea where it fits into the pantheon.

The Neg'Vahr and the Pasteur show up from that timeline. While I agree with what you're saying, I couldn't pass up a chance to be nit picky.
    Firstly the Galaxy X is actually the original USS Enterpise D that Picard captained for many years, the fact that Riker added a BFG and another Nacelle is totally irrelevant and I am surprised you would dig this deep for an argument.

If that's the case then the reboot is A-freakin-MAZING then because the ship is way more tactically charged than the Galaxy R, which is the Enterprise D. So this is good news, right?

4 tactical consoles on a Galaxy? Bananas!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your condescending attitude does not help you. Perhaps if you tried a little compassion you might learn to be a better human being. :D

That would be to much to ask for from this community.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Neg'Vahr and the Pasteur show up from that timeline. While I agree with what you're saying, I couldn't pass up a chance to be nit picky.

If that's the case then the reboot is A-freakin-MAZING then because the ship is way more tactically charged than the Galaxy R, which is the Enterprise D. So this is good news, right?

4 tactical consoles on a Galaxy? Bananas!

those are not negvar classes, they are voodieh (or something like that) classes.. the lead klink ship is the feklahr and the chang.

the model used in all good things (from this time line) has a lot of differences to it than the one used in ds9 and voy. the first difference is the underbelly, the all good things voodieh does not have the clutter (I think they are engines or weapons underneath, and is noticabley slimmer. they are also slightly different in color, and the size depicted (in correlation to the galaxy) is slightly smaller..

the flag ship negvar, has all sorts of TRIBBLE added to it to make it look beefier, and is made to look much much larger.

yes, 4 tactical consoles on a galaxy, woop de doo if you don't have the abilities to take advantage of them.. all your doing is boosting your basic dmg. while everyone else is boosting tons of abilities with phaser (or whatever your flavor is) consoles..

lets look at it this way.. as far as boff stations, these are the ships that outclass the galaxy class in the fed roster of cruisers..

the sovriegn (this one should I guess)
    the excelsior
    the ambassador
    the odyssey
    technically the fleet and mirro chyanne class
    avenger (this is kind of a dead giveaway as it was built for combat lol)

I find it sad that a ship built like the galaxy gets no love.. even in this time line it would still be in its prime.. the stated a bunch of times that they built it to have a long service life. and that it was the most adaptable starship in it fleet (given its size it had room to house anything im guessing).

in the dominion war, they were the back bone. the crushed through the lines of cardasian ships. which shows me that in time of war, they can either be refitted, or re balanced to be combat heavy.. this game is nothing but one big war. there is no such thing as exploration and scientific discovery in the game as we know it. so why is the ship so geared towards it.

it is sad that (while I love these ships and currently rock the ambassador on my engineer) that three older Starfleet vessels were given more tactical love than the galaxy.

as far as the need for a tank. well, you don't even need a cruiser anymore to do that (if you even need a tank). my akira class not only pumps out 5 mil plus in dmg, but has over 50k hull, and as an engineer, it has all the surviveablility it needs without sacrificing dmg.(which is king in this game).
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What does any of the last 2 pages of comments on this thread have to do with the Galaxy revamp? I think this is why Devs ignore threads they get derailed by trolls and degrade into off topic arguements between 2 or 3 people.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    yes, 4 tactical consoles on a galaxy, woop de doo if you don't have the abilities to take advantage of them..

That's really weird. I mean all you need is a spacebar. People put energy weapon boosting consoles in their tactical console slots by and large. So all you need to take advantage of the extra tactical console is a weapon equipped.

It's a boost. It's better than it had before. And is one of the things a year ago that the person who started the beef thread explicitly asked for.

So tomorrow when people use a Galaxy Dreadnought from the fleet store, it will pack more punch than it did before. Because it got a boost to its tactical capability.

Combine that with the ability to saucer sep, and the turn rate boost being bigger than advertised, and I don't know, this ship has the potential to be a lot more useful than most of the armchair quarterbacks who are upset it didn't get universal this commander that seem to think it will be.

But no matter what, it's better than it was before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    no lt commander tactical i knew it,what a downer *puts wallet away*:eek:
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not throwing my cash away on this lazy TRIBBLE either
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What does any of the last 2 pages of comments on this thread have to do with the Galaxy revamp? I think this is why Devs ignore threads they get derailed by trolls and degrade into off topic arguements between 2 or 3 people.

wow. thanks.. that must be why they don't listen at all.. all this time I thought it was cause they didn't care.. lol..

ok now to get back into non sarcastic serious mode lol..

weather a topic gets off topic or not has nothing to do with them listening.. the first 5 days of convo got the point across.

I don't give the devs a lot of credit ever, but I will say that they are at least competent enouph to tell in a thread what is usefull info, and what isn't..
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Bah, most of it sounds good but a universal lt slot? how bout the LT cmdr engineering be made universal. Now you got some latitude.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's really weird. I mean all you need is a spacebar. People put energy weapon boosting consoles in their tactical console slots by and large. So all you need to take advantage of the extra tactical console is a weapon equipped.

It's a boost. It's better than it had before. And is one of the things a year ago that the person who started the beef thread explicitly asked for.

So tomorrow when people use a Galaxy Dreadnought from the fleet store, it will pack more punch than it did before. Because it got a boost to its tactical capability.

Combine that with the ability to saucer sep, and the turn rate boost being bigger than advertised, and I don't know, this ship has the potential to be a lot more useful than most of the armchair quarterbacks who are upset it didn't get universal this commander that seem to think it will be.

But no matter what, it's better than it was before.

ok ill concede that it is better than it was, but just barely.

this is a dreadnaught cruiser that was shown on screen tearing through enemies shields, and hull in one blast (and he got to use it more than once every 3-5 minutes..).

the fact that in all likelihood, the galaxy r and the galaxy x would get it clock cleaned by an excelsior, or even an ambassador is pretty lame..

sure, any ship that has 4 tac consoles isn't going to be a complete lame duck. but when you measure this ship up to all the other ships that are like it, even with the turn rate boost, the saucer sep, and the "phaser lance" it still comes up short.

im not saying the commander slot needs to be reallocated. (though in any dread I would expect it to be tac) but even making the lt universal could potentially double the ships damage output. being able to use two beamfaws in tandem is huge, or if your a single target guy, two overloads.. or multiple torp settings. sure you can do some of that now, but the ensign slot is basically useless. and most peeps are gonna throw a tac team in there.

so yes, on the whole, it got a little better, but its no where near what it should be, deserves to be, nor what the players were asking for. especially when you look at the other cruisers and their configurations. the galaxy all around still comes up mega short..

I for one do not use saucer sep when I play, nor do I use the anti matter or cloaking console.. those consoles are needed to keep up with the power creep.

most people run enerfy weapon consoles in tac (which ever they are using, and would not put anything else there).

most peeps use at least one field generator (your mental not to usually, unless its a specific build).

then, you have the borg console, the rommie console, the nukara console (all much more preferable over the anti matter (which doesn't even really work against borg lol, so useless in stf's) or the cloak, or the saucer sep.).

then, most peeps need to run at least 1 armor, if not more.. you lose way too much crit, and power levels, and bonus dmg to use those consoles.. )

thus, the ship is still utterly useless..
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's the fleet X gonna get, like 28% more damage than before because of the added console? It's not a lot.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    this is a dreadnaught cruiser that was shown on screen tearing through enemies shields, and hull in one blast (and he got to use it more than once every 3-5 minutes..).
    Please tell me this is not the only MMO you have ever played in your life? :eek:

You have to understand that STO is an MMO not a SPG. You can have a Galaxy X torch a foe with one shot in a SPG because there are no other players to make angry.

In an MMO you have PvP foes. Imagine how much fun you would have in PvP if someone in a Galaxy X simply vaporized you every time they wanted to just by using the Lance. Think that would be fun for you? I assure you, it would not - and you would be on the forum complaining about it as much as one-shot kills for Borg in ESTFs. :)

You also have teammates and play-balance to take into consideration. Imagine how much fun they will have watching you one-shot everything just because you decided to fly a Galaxy X and use the lance. It would be no fun for them at all.

In an MMO far bigger issues need to be taken into consideration then simply: Ship X did Y action in the TV show so it should be able to do it in the game too. :)
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2014

You also have teammates and play-balance to take into consideration. Imagine how much fun they will have watching you one-shot everything just because you decided to fly a Galaxy X and use the lance. It would be no fun for them at all.

It'd be like dropping into an EStf with your teammates flying an aux2bat Scimitar.

The Fleet Gal-X should be the fed scimitar. Cloaking built in, 5 tac consoles, not-so-terrible turn rate balanced by a tendency to powerslide (oh wait, we've got that already), and supercrit boffs. But it won't be like that. It'll be inferior to any engineering ship that packs a higher rated tactical officer.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It'd be like dropping into an EStf with your teammates flying an aux2bat Scimitar.

The Fleet Gal-X should be the fed scimitar. Cloaking built in, 5 tac consoles, not-so-terrible turn rate balanced by a tendency to powerslide (oh wait, we've got that already), and supercrit boffs. But it won't be like that. It'll be inferior to any engineering ship that packs a higher rated tactical officer.
    The Galaxy X should not be the "Scimitar" for the Federation. The Galaxy X is one of the oldest iconic ships in the game - the Galaxy being 45 years old in this timeline.

If the Federation were going to have a "Scimitar" it should be one of the newer ships: Odyssey, Avenger, etc. Not the Galaxy R or X.

Within the game the Galaxy is two generations behind top-of-the-line.
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    simply vaporized you every time they wanted

Is clear to me that you dont play PVP. Go, play some and tell me about vaporization.

Romulan + Proton Barrage = Vaper
    They can one shot you every 2 minutes and you not even know what hit you.

And that, with a ship 250 years all (T'Varo)

So, plz, dont bring canon in to the STO balance discussion.

BTW, I dont want a Galaxy OP, but at least balance with Excelsior.

Sorry for bad english.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Is clear to me that you dont play PVP. Go, play some and tell me about vaporization.

Romulan + Proton Barrage = Vaper
    They can one shot you every 2 minutes and you not even know what hit you.

And that, with a ship 250 years all (T'Varo)

So, plz, dont bring canon in to the STO balance discussion.

BTW, I dont want a Galaxy OP, but at least balance with Excelsior.

Sorry for bad english.
    The Proton Barrage is something anyone can get simply by having all the Set Pieces. I can do the same thing with a Fed or KDF ship using the pieces - assuming you have a Cloaked alpha available to you.

Anyone can grind out the Rep and get the items. That is not the same thing as having a one-shot-kill ship at your disposal over others.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The Proton Barrage is something anyone can get simply by having all the Set Pieces. I can do the same thing with a Fed or Rom ship using the pieces - assuming you have a Cloaked alpha available to you.

Anyone can grind out the Rep and get the items. That is not the same thing as having a one-shot-kill ship at your disposal over others.

You and me play the same game? Anyone can grind dilithium and buy a ship.

Proton barrage is bad, Romulan BOFFs crits are bad, Scimatar is bad and an OP Galaxy X is bad. But you said only an OP Galaxy X is bad.. do you see where is your mistake?

The game balance is a joke, and a bad one. You can one shot a hole team with a scimitar and or a T’Varo and you can finish an Elite STF in 1:06. So again, the game balance is a joke and an OP Galaxy (which no one wants) is just going to be as bad the rest of the TRIBBLE.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You and me play the same game? Anyone can grind dilithium and buy a ship.
    What are you talking about? Anyone can do the Dyson Rep in no time at all. It is the EASIEST Rep to get in the game. Do 1 mission per day and you will be done with the Dyson Rep in no time. Dyson Rep is for children. :)

At 8,000 Dilithium per day, assuming you did nothing but sell it for Zen, it would take you over 40 days just to get enough Zen to buy one 2,500 Zen ship - let alone buy a 3-pack of something. Someone could spend 4 months trying to grind-out enough Dilithium on a character to buy a 3-pack.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What are you talking about? Anyone can do the Dyson Rep in no time at all. It is the EASIEST Rep to get in the game. Do 1 mission per day and you will be done with the Dyson Rep in no time. Dyson Rep is for children. :)

At 8,000 Dilithium per day, assuming you did nothing but sell it for Zen, it would take you over 40 days just to get enough Zen to buy one 2,500 Zen ship - let alone buy a 3-pack of something. Someone could spend 4 months trying to grind-out enough Dilithium on a character to buy a 3-pack.

So, that is your real problem? Its take 30 days to finish a reputation with out sponsor, and 40 days to buy a Tier 5 ship.

So, something that takes 30 days can be overpower, can destroy the game balance, but something that takes 40 is havoc and is bad!

Btw; you can grind 8,000 in more characters, just with 4 you can refine 32,000k. With the Dyson Battlezone the Dilithium grind is just a joke, its take you 10 mins per character.

Again, do you play STO? Do you play PVP?

Something that is OP is OP, I dont care if is easy or hard to get. No one should obliterate a hole team by pressing the space bar. You should obliterate a hole team with good tactics and teamwork.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So, that is your real problem? Its take 30 days to finish a reputation with out sponsor, and 40 days to buy a Tier 5 ship.

So, something that takes 30 days can be overpower, can destroy the game balance, but something that takes 40 is havoc and is bad!

Btw; you can grind 8,000 in more characters, just with 4 you can refine 32,000k. With the Dyson Battlezone the Dilithium grind is just a joke, its take you 10 mins per character.

Again, do you play STO? Do you play PVP?

Something that is OP is OP, I dont care if is easy or hard to get. No one should obliterate a hole team by pressing the space bar. You should obliterate a hole team with good tactics and teamwork.
    Do a 2 minute search on my name and Dilthium. Trust me, I probably know more about how to grind Diltihium then you ever will. :)

That has nothing to do with how other people choose to play this game. Maybe you have 25 characters. Maybe the next guy only has 1. How much Dilithium you grind is not the same amount as what they grind. Never assume everyone does everything in the game the way you do.

My point above is that any Faction can get the Dyson Rep material and be over-powered. They never need to grind a single Diltihium for that, or spend a single dollar. That is entirely different then someone spending real money to buy something.

The game is not well balanced - power-creep has gotten out of hand - but that does not mean we should not strive for balance. One broken ship does not mean every ship should be broken. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Do a 2 minute search on my name and Dilthium.

Wow. Today is a freakin banner day on the forums.

I got called a die-hard Cryptic sycophant.

And Cosmic's Dilithium grinding knowledge is questioned.

What next? My brain isn't working right anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]