What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Galaxy "Reboot" Feedback

Comments

• Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    take my like and +1 OP (if only we had those buttons here)

Now, go make more fun threads and liven this place up :D
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Erm, hate to nit pick, but those listed in red - are not Dreadnaughts.

Bortas and Oddy are "flagships", and the veteran ships are "destroyers" not dreadnaughts.

It's kinda like holding an apple and asking why it's not as easy to peel as a banana - because it's an apple, that's why.

The only dreadnaught class ships in game as far as I am aware are the Scimitar and Galaxy-X ships (And I thought the Scimitar was supposed to be a flagship like the Oddy and Bortas classes, go figure)

It is not nitpicking if you are pointing out inaccuracies. That being the case:

For players the Odyssey falls under "Star Cruiser" (generally) and the Bortas/Bortasqu' under "Battle Cruiser" (generall) though the models for both are purportedly used in the game as "Dreadnoughts" according to sto.gamepedia.

As for the number of "Dreadnoughts", there are four ships with "Dreadnought" in their name and/or label:
    (1) The Scimitar (of which there are 3)
    (2) The Galaxy-X
    (3) The Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier
    (4) The Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser

Sans #2 all have 10 consoles and boosted shield output compared to other "1.0 mod" cruisers (which is the base cruiser shield value). And as #1 has 3 variants it we wanted to really nit-pick we could say that that technicality means there are six "playable Dreadnoughts" in the game right now.
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Their bread and butter cash cow is the Jem'Hadar Attack ship. They would rather loose the IP than to stop using that ship as their cash cow. Hence why players like me with the Jem"Hadar Dreadnought carrier can't even get the carrier pet (when that's all I want) without having that cash cow...

anyway...

they'll be fine. They still have their JHAS as their cash cow.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    theoryfive wrote: »
    ... Not to mention, this is not "up to par" with other dreadnoughts, as they all have a setup with both an ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slot. Without that slot, I do not count the Galaxy-X "up to par" with other dreadnoughts.

The Scimitar, Bortasqu', Odyssey, and even the Veteran Reward Destroyers all have a bridge officer setup that includes: One Commander (fixed division) slot, one Lieutenant Commander Universal slot, one Lieutenant slot (fixed slot for each of the other two divisions), and one Ensign Universal slot. According to the blog, the Galaxy-X will still have this setup: Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Tactical, Lieutenant Science, and Ensign Universal.

Correction my Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier does not have a universal Lieutenant Commander slot. Thank you for pointing this out to be, I will add it to my Sig
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    I just want the Galaxy-R to be interesting to play. Which doesn't mean turning it into a tactical power house. And this being called a Galaxy Reboot you'd think they'd actually, you know, reboot all the Galaxy ships, not just one of them.
    Rather misleading, isn't it? The only ship that's really getting updated is the Galaxy x. The normal galaxy, the refit, and the fleet version aren't getting much at all. Just a set bonus for the two consoles and the ability to not have to stop to separate. People might think that the Galaxy-x isn't getting as much of a boost as it should, but the normal galaxy hasn't moved hardly at all-it's not even getting the hanger bay the Galaxy X is getting.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wast33 wrote: »
    then just take the bulwark as example, also a dreadnought cruiser afaik:
    ltc uni
    lt uni

(there's the jem dread as well, and may others i'm not aware off right now)

How much does a Bulwark cost you/make for Cryptic? There's your answer. You can't compare what is pretty much the rarest ship in the game to one that any schmoe can buy for $30 and expect them to be equal.

Besides, the Bulwark doesn't have a base turn rate of 17....
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    a beast to take down? lolz

u clearly did not fly any of the really good cruisers or even a scimitar, right?

the gal x looks like a warship but it doesnt pack a punch, its just there, nibbling away at enemys where other dreads (the scim) just destroys everything in its path. a lot of ppl were hoping for something in between those two but now (as before the so called revamp) the fed dread is their weakest cruiser type ship

I have seen Scims go down in 10 seconds in PvE. There is a HUGE trade-off for that much firepower - you basically have no hull healing. The Gal-X goes the other way, it can stay in battle all day long but can't punch as hard - but it can take down anything you want in PvE without a problem. Will it compete well in PvP? No. However, in case you hadn't noticed, not many players play PvP in the grand scheme of things, so a ship that only works well in PvE doesn't mean its a failure.

Is it as good as the Scim? No, but if you look around, people complain about the Scim being OP pretty much constantly. After the new 4-piece shield from the anniversary event, the thing is basically without weakness - it can even use the thalaron device without fear of destruction now. I am sure that the feds would love to have a ship like that, but to be honest, that ship is BROKEN, so anyone comparing anything to it is basically nullifying their own argument.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is not nitpicking if you are pointing out inaccuracies. That being the case:

For players the Odyssey falls under "Star Cruiser" (generally) and the Bortas/Bortasqu' under "Battle Cruiser" (generall) though the models for both are purportedly used in the game as "Dreadnoughts" according to sto.gamepedia.

As for the number of "Dreadnoughts", there are four ships with "Dreadnought" in their name and/or label:
    (1) The Scimitar (of which there are 3)
    (2) The Galaxy-X
    (3) The Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier
    (4) The Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser

Sans #2 all have 10 consoles and boosted shield output compared to other "1.0 mod" cruisers (which is the base cruiser shield value). And as #1 has 3 variants it we wanted to really nit-pick we could say that that technicality means there are six "playable Dreadnoughts" in the game right now.

Cheers for that. I have not looked at (4) so to be honest I did not know what it was, just some new lockbox ship I won't bother with (I don't do gable boxes).
    I had forgotten about (3), a friend spent a lot on boxes to get that, now he barley plays due to the let down of the pets he wants being the attack ships.

So, the OP really was way off with the comparisons then :confused:
  • Options
    cptrichardson12cptrichardson12 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fine. TRIBBLE it, since the teams were de-nerfed:

Rsp 3; Engineering Team 3; Aux2Battery 2/1; Aux2SIF 1; Engineering Team 1; EptS1; TSS; Hazard Emitters, Tac Team...

I'll just take gates like a Galaxy.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There's still the great galactic barrier to consider. I'm not sure the Iconian gateways can actually breach it to get to the Andromeda galaxy.

Then again, that one alien guy used space magic to transport the Enterprise-D several galaxies away or something, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You didn't fool me! :D

But I do agree, ANDROMEDA GALAXY all the way!
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    As long as the Andromedans from Star Fleet Battles are there, I am all over going to Andromeda. :)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm glad there are a lot of people who support my idea in removing the artificial stopgaps and allow us to have the Galaxy we've wanted.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And you thought this was gonna be about that stupid starship.

Mwahahaha!

:P

Fooled ya!

Neener, neener, neener.

Yes you did.... But you are in danger that the original Idea will be ignored for that.

I like the idea... that would bring back the theme of "Exploring strange new worlds".... After all quadrants of this galaxy being featured in the series extensively... this Galaxy doesn't feel that big any more.

They could have done that with the Dyson sphere stoy... instead of leading to other spheres in this galaxy the gateways should have lead to other spheres in other galaxies... kind of a Stargate like setup...
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    MOAR GALAXY!!! Must go on Galaxy quest! NOWZ!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    MOAR GALAXY!!! Must go on Galaxy quest! NOWZ!!!
    Never give up, never surrender !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    From what I saw on the Tribble thread, the Teams were re-nerfed.
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Also the idea that the galaxy was a paper tiger because it carried civilians, was destroyed by the jem'hadar and the episode rascals holds no basis. She was constantly on the frontlines in TNG when faced with crisis situations The Dominion Ds9 episode stands out as it was designed to show the dominions power and the lengths they would go to to stop access through the worm hole. Blow up star fleets finest. Rascals is just a terrible episode. And civilians on board is due to the ships mission profile long range exploration and away from home.

I don't recall what happens int he episode to which you are referring, but I do recall that when first introduced, the dominion's weapons essentially went straight through federation shields, so many jem'hadar attacks on ships like a galaxy were not because galaxys were such TRIBBLE but because their shields did nothing to protect them. Later on, there is footage of a galaxy popping like... three jem-bugs in a row with a single phaser pulse to each of them. But in general, ds9 war footage is "accelerated" beyond what we normally see in star trek. Normally the battles are rather protracted, but in ds9, ships are popping left and right from just a couple shots. Ds9 is not the majority of star trek, and STO should not be based on their combat aesthetic.

Though I don't mind the galaxy/dread filling more of a tank role, and I don't have a problem with their tac boffs with the exception of how necessary tac team is. If these ships could distribute their shields/survive as well using eng team or sci team or just other abilities in general without the need of tac team, then at least the galaxy could slot a beam and a torp power or a beam/torp and an attack pattern, but currently, it's pretty guaranteed to be tac team 1 with doffs and faw 2. And if the dread didn't need tac team, it could slot a beam, torp and cannon ability, or a beam, torp and attack pattern at least. And if the galaxy were given a uni ensign, it wouldn't be locked down in engineering ville and if the dread's ensign tac and sci lt. were made universal, it could at least switch them around for more tac and less sci or more tac and no sci or just generally be more versatile than it is now without either of these ships stepping too much on anyone else's toes.

And I still sincerely believe that it's not the boff seating or consoles that need to be changed, cause what we keep seeing is that everyone wants the galaxy/dread to be carbon copies of the regent or the avenger, which are virtually identical, and we don't need every cruiser to be exactly the same. What we need is engineering/science to be more competitive with tactical, whether that's tweaking current abilities, or introducing new ones.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    galadiman wrote: »
    I think I agree - which is why I think, cynically, it will never happen.

Why? Because Cryptic wants to sell us NEW SHIPS. It's where the money is. Honestly, I've been flying my Galaxy-R's the past few days with a cheapy A2B (no Marions) build, and it's FINE, though not stellar. (BUT it took me a WHILE to get it there - farming purple Doffs in B'Tran, a few RCS fleet Eng consoles... and I've STILL avoided the Fleet version)

The truth is, if I could find a Galaxy that was built like the Avenger for my Tac and Eng, and like the new Dyson for my Sci, I'd never fly another ship on my Feds. But hey, I'm old.

So that means I'd potentially never buy any other Fed ships. Which makes me a TERRIBLE customer - the credit card companies might call me a 'freeloader'. So they need to dangle that carrot (the ultimate ship for EVERYONE, the one everyone WANT to someday have) out of reach, possibly forever.

The idea of the "ANY" skin ship with a specific set of 'guts' (Boff/Console/Stats combos)? Absolutely great for us, absolutely the WORST idea for Cryptic - you buy your favorite 'skin' and favorite 'guts' and never buy anything again.

I suspect ships are less expensive than compelling content. And content is potentially more complex, with more moving parts (writing, art, voice, tech and continuity...) and thus, more time-consuming...

So marginal improvements at the periphery will continue to be the norm. When we get L60 ships, we'll see a skip up... and again be slightly disappointed with the Galaxy class ships - they'll never be the 'Best' because they would outshine all the other ships if they had even marginally above-average stats.

As it is, there are folks out there like me who fly her in spite of her mediocrity.

Then I say make an "alternate reality" yesterdays enterprise themed tactical galaxy in the same vein as the galaxy dreadnought, which itself is an "alternate timeline" ship, but a different ship in it's own right as far as the store is concerned. If the Scimitar can be canon, have a badass look and be a power house in the game than so can the Galaxy. The flood gates have already been opened. I'd rather see Galaxy's and Scims at this rate than Avengers and other make believe ships flooding the stfs.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic can sell me plenty of new ships, as long as i can use the Galaxy Skins on em and could carry over the gimmick. Like the lance.

Heck, make the lance a GUN that is like a amped up dual beam bank with even narrower arc than cannons....

They will sell exactly ZERO new ships as far as i am concerned. Getting actively pissed on kinda deters me from giving the pissing dude any money.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    why on earth do all you fanboys think the GX, a retrofitted design from decades ago into a role it was never designed for, should be on par with purpose built machines from the modern era that should replace and outclass it on every level?

It got the attention it's going to get. It's over. Stop with the spam.

Fanboys? Spam? You must be that kid who though the "stop hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself" gag involved smacking your own face while telling other people to stop.

As for on-topic:

The "D" may be built on an "Exploration platform" but that platform seems to have rather large, sharp teeth which only become larger and sharper as time progresses.

Check out the "Dreadnought" at Memory Alpha under the section Use (where they refer to the interview in Cinefantastique about how the "Future Enterprise" was put together for the episode) and the section "Anti-time eruption".

There is clearly a disconnect from the ship shown and what Cryptic, and people like you, indicate is a solid, fair representation (functionally or even visually) of it should be.
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now that my thread's been merged into oblivion (nice way of covering it up, thanks, Geko), how is giving it a Universal Ensign slot going to make it better? You can't do much with an ensign slot. Other ships at that level have a Lieutenant Commander Universal slot, as well.

Other equivalent ships at Tier V, such as the flagships (one of which is also a dreadnought) and the veteran reward destroyers have both the ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slots.

What point is there in changing just the ensign slot to universal, when there aren't very many powers at that level, plus other ships at the same tier have a higher level universal slot as well?
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now that my thread's been merged into oblivion (nice way of covering it up, thanks, Geko)
    You do understand that Geko has nothing to do with forum moderation, right? I doubt Geko even looks at the forum, accept when directed to a subject by a CM.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Now that my thread's been merged into oblivion (nice way of covering it up, thanks, Geko), how is giving it a Universal Ensign slot going to make it better? You can't do much with an ensign slot. Other ships at that level have a Lieutenant Commander Universal slot, as well.

Other equivalent ships at Tier V, such as the flagships (one of which is also a dreadnought) and the veteran reward destroyers have both the ensign universal and lieutenant commander universal slots.

What point is there in changing just the ensign slot to universal, when there aren't very many powers at that level, plus other ships at the same tier have a higher level universal slot as well?

Your thread, my thread, a few other threads.

The point of their change is to provide for semantic arguments about how they "listen to the players" and "love Star Trek."

PWE probably threatened to fire someone if they did not come up with a sales boost and this mess is a last ditch effort to prove "leadership".
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't recall what happens int he episode to which you are referring, but I do recall that when first introduced, the dominion's weapons essentially went straight through federation shields, so many jem'hadar attacks on ships like a galaxy were not because galaxys were such TRIBBLE but because their shields did nothing to protect them. Later on, there is footage of a galaxy popping like... three jem-bugs in a row with a single phaser pulse to each of them. But in general, ds9 war footage is "accelerated" beyond what we normally see in star trek. Normally the battles are rather protracted, but in ds9, ships are popping left and right from just a couple shots. Ds9 is not the majority of star trek, and STO should not be based on their combat aesthetic.

Though I don't mind the galaxy/dread filling more of a tank role, and I don't have a problem with their tac boffs with the exception of how necessary tac team is. If these ships could distribute their shields/survive as well using eng team or sci team or just other abilities in general without the need of tac team, then at least the galaxy could slot a beam and a torp power or a beam/torp and an attack pattern, but currently, it's pretty guaranteed to be tac team 1 with doffs and faw 2. And if the dread didn't need tac team, it could slot a beam, torp and cannon ability, or a beam, torp and attack pattern at least. And if the galaxy were given a uni ensign, it wouldn't be locked down in engineering ville and if the dread's ensign tac and sci lt. were made universal, it could at least switch them around for more tac and less sci or more tac and no sci or just generally be more versatile than it is now without either of these ships stepping too much on anyone else's toes.

And I still sincerely believe that it's not the boff seating or consoles that need to be changed, cause what we keep seeing is that everyone wants the galaxy/dread to be carbon copies of the regent or the avenger, which are virtually identical, and we don't need every cruiser to be exactly the same. What we need is engineering/science to be more competitive with tactical, whether that's tweaking current abilities, or introducing new ones.
    The Odyssey did take quite a beating before it blew up. More than the Enterprise-D did before it blew up.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    The Odyssey did take quite a beating before it blew up. More than the Enterprise-D did before it blew up.
    The entire Odyssey sequence is around 2 minutes long. It was not that much of a beating. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hooray! Cryptic finally, FINALLY listened to us and gave us a revamped Galaxy-class!

However, they forgot one thing (and no, it's not the Gal-R getting no revamp, that's in a different thread).

The ship model(s).

Seriously. The one aspect of the ship that "to this day, remain some of the most popular ships [in] STO – undoubtedly due to their iconic stature", and by the looks of the screenshots, they didn't bother to fix.

The most noticeable issues with the Galaxy class appearance lie with the secondary hull. The saucer does not attach properly, and the shape of the secondary hull itself is searingly wrong. These models are terrible.
    The Gal-X is even worse, with an off-centered lance, even more noticeable off-centering, and skewed box-thing.

I addressed these issues (and issues with other iconic and just-as-old vessels) in a thread here, which failed to gain Cryptic's attention at the time. But now that they have looked in the Galaxy's direction, here is the golden opportunity to get these ships fixed.

STO's Promotional Images
    Galaxy Class 1
    Galaxy Class 2
    Galaxy-X Note that, even though the camera is not pointed at the noted errors, they still exist. The ship model is most probably unchanged.

Seems like someone screwed up when it came to moving threads around.

Oh well. Just as I predicted, Devs will never find it now.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    oh yeah, I already know its not gonna be a commander slot.. it should be though.. and reguardless of weather or not im changing his mind, im just speaking mine. lol..

to be perfectly honest, im not a big fan of geko. I think a lot of the time he misses the "essence" of star trek when he "tweaks" something. also, ive never liked how he is kind of condescending to the player base when he interviews..

I do appreciate that he takes a look at something here and there, but in this case. he got it wrong.. that galaxy dreadnaught in all good things wasn't just a ship that was an ok fighter.. it man handled the two voodeh classes no problem. not even a scratch on the enterprise.. not saying it should one shot anything in game, but it should have some serious punch.. but hey don't want to dethrone their precious scimitars so once again, a ship that deserves much more attention, got the short end of the stick.. (well we havnt seen the actual numbers on it yet, but everyone knows its gonna be fairly similar to what is already out with an added console..).

I'm not a big fan of Geko either. He could have done a better job with the X. But like someone said they want their precious Smimtars to be top dog. The longest post thread in gaming about the one ship in the game thats loved and he screwed them over with this lame update. Way to listen to your player base Gek. All he needed to do was upgrade the ensign tac slot plus the hanger and most people would be happy.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The entire Odyssey sequence is around 2 minutes long. It was not that much of a beating. :)
    And the battle in Sacrifice of Angels took hours, but you didn't see that on the screen either. ;)

The actual time the Odyssey was fighting is longer than the sequence.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it was very clear that a significant period of time had elapsed between the Jem hadar commencing their attack and Sisko being rescued etc.
    I think we will just agree to disagree on that one.

IIRC, the captain of the Odyssey even states he will not stay longer then 5 minutes once the attack starts, and he does not even last that long.