What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sphere Of Influence - Thoughts? [Spoiler Free OP]

Comments

• Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So they say, be stupid if they wait for Season 8.

That would actually be my guess. It won't go live until the release of season 8.
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is there another FE coming? There's a gap between how we encounter the Dysan Sphere, the Voth's reasons for being there, and the agreement for a collaboration that what occurs for the operations in the Dyson Sphere. Feels like there would be a bit of a leap to S8 without some bridging work on the plot. Otherwise, this episode was the BEST I've encountered yet, in three plus years of playing this MMO.

And one heck of a cool ship too. I like eet. :)
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The tease when the Ambassador gets ready to leave.

Does this mean we may be hearing Colm in the game in the future?

No. He's referring to Kirayoshi OBrien, Colm's character's son. Kirayhoshi is the Chief Engineer of the Enterprise-F.
  • Options
    mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I actually was a bit unnerved when I saw that table. I instantly remembered schisms.
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Loved it. Cryptic does their best work with the Feauture episodes. Hope they start making more.
  • Options
    valetharvalethar Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    As was said in another thread, voicing the player character would be a zen-worthy addition.

No, it wouldn't. If we have to use Zen just to have our own characters voiced, I'd rather they not do it at all. The Greed Collective already goes out of it's way to assimilate everyone on the C-$tore, lets not encourage them further.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I laughed when I saw all the gateways activate across the galaxy. I did love the reference to the Andromeda gateway, I guess that's where the Iconians have been hiding all this time, though I do wonder if that means we'll also encounter the Kelvans or more of those androids seen in "I, Mudd", whose creators were originally from there?

In addition, it was great to see the Solonae again and it was slightly surprising, though pleasantly so, that we didn't get to fight them. The "subspace honeycomb" that they, and their neighbours the Elachi, inhabit doesn't seem like a good place to make new friends. :P

One nitpick though; Jouret isn't pronounced the way it is in this FE.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    He'd be an 81 year old chief engineer. I hear there is something in the Trek magazine about his offspring.

(Tng: relics ) Episode showed even a old Scottie was still cool.

So i imagine O'Brian hasn't lost his touch with engineering.

Plus considering in the trek Universe humans live to what we now think of as insane in terms of age, he'd most likely still be, more active even with his teaching job then people of that age today.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I loved the episode, but I dont understand something. It sounds like people are running it 2 (or more) times. I'd love to get both the goodies, but when I hail the mission again, it asks if I want to replay information. How do i run again?
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ru4tedward wrote: »
    I loved the episode, but I dont understand something. It sounds like people are running it 2 (or more) times. I'd love to get both the goodies, but when I hail the mission again, it asks if I want to replay information. How do i run again?

Open your Journal (J key), Episodes tab, "Featured Episode" on the top left.
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So who here thinks we might see Odo .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    cyberpunk1977cyberpunk1977 Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah loved it! Keep it coming Cryptic :P Nice change frrom grinding STF's all the time :)

Like the new ship too.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Best FE so far.
    Great atmosphere, and I loved the foreshadowing.

There will be something Dominion-related sometime in the future and we will see the Quarren as Iconian servitors when the DQ season hits. :cool:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now is this just part one of a new series or is it a standalone like Azure Nebula one?
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I thought the mission was rather well done. The voice acting was high quality and the visuals were rather interesting. LOOOOOTS of text to read though and it is a bit annoying that you have to do it alone.

As for the rewards... errmm... That is where it falls down for me.

The Warp core is ok if you have not bought something from your fleet or from the exchange.

The Beam Array is just... well... Bad... My Fleet AP Turrets make it look like utter junk.

The Carrier though is where it really takes it a bit hard. It LOOKS beautiful and awesomely different but that is where its glory ends.

It is an Engineering heavy Carrier... Let's face it: Having a Commander Engineering station is a downside for whatever is so burdened to have it. Unlike a Cruiser it is far too slow to really enjoy Eject Warp Plasma III which is one of the best skills for that tier. Sure this thing can be a fine Aux 2 Bat I suppose but carriers have such weak personal damage that it would be a waste.

So this thing has a lot of hull, less shields than most carriers, and can equip dual heavies (laugh with me) but cannot heal itself or its friends as much as the Atrox and does not have nearly the damage output of the Kar'Fi.

Its fighters are ok but mostly eh. So they get Beam Overload with a weak Anti-Proton array but that is not horrible. However, fighters deal the VAST majority of their damage with Torpedoes. So what torps do these get? Transphasics... The weakest and most worthless torpedoes in the game. Oops... They do not even get Torp skills to try to mitigate that failure. Elite Scorps make them look pathetic.

Lastly to get the three set bonus and the console that is actually pretty neat for this ship you have to buy it from the Lobi store... That is a $200.00 Engineering Heavy Carrier with weak fighters. REALLY? If you get this thing instead of the Dreadnaught or Recluse then you just do not understand how the game works because those two are vastly superior.

So yeah... Great mission, loved it, and was very impressed by the graphics, voice, story, and the end fight but weak rewards.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I loved the mission and am loking forward to the following ones.

I share the disapointance of most what I ve red about the lobi version of the Obelisk

One question remains in my head: how is this and where implimented in the story lien later?
    the logic conclusion would be to make it available after reaching romrep T5 and playn the T5-nission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    So who here thinks we might see Odo .

Given one of the locations was a Dominion World, I think there is a good chance we could run into him again.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,103 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Was a pretty cool mission. Loved the Schisms aliens.

Spoilers

So... every gateway has been switched to on? O.o

The Obelisk... going by how it and the dyson sphere have the same interior design... did the Iconians/Elachi/Schism aliens build it/them?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope this mission means that the iconian storyline is finally moving on and that this was not just a standalone mission without any relation to upcoming content. And as much as i like the Obelisk: WHY cant we get the exact ship we were using in the mission with the MK XII weapons and consoles? We warped out in that ships so why not keep it.
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did anyone else get a brief moment of terror on the 2nd optional console?

Spoiler:
    Andromeda gateways
    /spoiler

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    weiir1weiir1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I laughed when I saw all the gateways activate across the galaxy. I did love the reference to the Andromeda gateway, I guess that's where the Iconians have been hiding all this time.

Perchance, have you read this? http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8049362/1/Star-Trek-Online-Darkness-Divine

I was totally shocked when I heard about Andromeda. I think you're dead on about them hiding there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    exa12 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a brief moment of terror on the 2nd optional console?

Spoiler:
    Andromeda gateways
    /spoiler
    Yeah, apparently, that's where the Iconians relocated to.

Spoiler:
    And since they managed to build a new gateway network from scratch over there, they have probably subjugated that entire galaxy. One wonders wether those aliens that tried to hijack Kirk's Enterprise to Andromeda were doing that at the behest of their masters.
    /spoiler
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Yeah, apparently, that's where the Iconians relocated to.

Spoiler:
    And since they managed to build a new gateway network from scratch over there, they have probably subjugated that entire galaxy. One wonders wether those aliens that tried to hijack Kirk's Enterprise to Andromeda were doing that at the behest of their masters.
    /spoiler

They did claim to operate in a similar manner to how the Ico's do

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    valethar wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't. If we have to use Zen just to have our own characters voiced, I'd rather they not do it at all. The Greed Collective already goes out of it's way to assimilate everyone on the C-$tore, lets not encourage them further.

The actors will likely want to be paid. The aesthetic value would be worth a few Zen. And I'd rather see PWE selling aesthetics, rather than power.

Having a selection of voices available at the Tailor would not be much different than choosing a new costume. If, you don't think it's worth the zen. then don't purchase it.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Given one of the locations was a Dominion World, I think there is a good chance we could run into him again.

Especially since the Iconians seem wary of the Dominion, if not outright fearful. Good motivation for the Alpha Quadrant to open diplomatic relations.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of the best missions so far in the game, but still, this game has big problems concerning gameplay mechanics. The episode remembered me to Mass Effect aestheticaly, but with the STO controls, limited movements, animations...

Mission linear, there wasn't any difficulty, and the puzzles to resolve seem to have being desnigned for 5yo babies. Even on one of them, the puzzle where you have to apply the correct treatment to the captain of the Enterprise, was spoiled in the left side of the dialog box telling you what order to follow... Considering how weak the puzzles in this mission were, it's almost a faviour, which is sad for a video game.

One interesting mechanic, however, was the color puzzle, when you have to observe and repeat a secuence of colored iconians symbols. Not that it required more than two brains, but still something different.

The final battle it's the same we've seen in the game thousands of times, but the addition of having Worf as some sorta bridge officer, enjoying his particular skills, was remarkable.

Story: 8/10
    Voice and assets: 10/10
    Gameplay: 2/10

My score: 6/10
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Get your TRIBBLE to Mars

Well I would, but apparently you can't even get clear of Luna's orbit in 2409 :eek:
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's weird, but one of my favorite parts was when the Romulan scientist threatened the Fed side of the three way alliance when Shon wanted to destroy the gate. A subtle reminder that though the Rommies are playing nice for now, the alliance that binds them all is a fragile thing that can be broken with one hasty act.
    It feels great, because it is natural. More of that, and less gluteus maximus kissing ad infinitum for a certain quasi-faction, would improve this game immensely. At least for the shrubbery-colored parties involved. And maybe even for more, given that much improved flavor. :)

---
    I love it, too. The "Sphere of Influence" title is more than just a punny reference to Season 8 - the Romulan Republic has established itself as a true player in the Alpha Quadrant (or is it Beta Quadrant...whatever), not the whimpering refugees some players like to characterize them as.

They needed alliances with the Federation and Klingon Empire to establish themselves and defend against the Tal Shiar, but now they're in possession of a functional Iconian gateway - one of the most powerful artifacts in known space.

The Federation would rather see it destroyed, but cannot risk damaging their alliance with the Republic (plus, have a conflict of interest now that the Omega Directive has been invoked). The Klingons want to know all they can about the gateway. Both sides have to cooperate with the Romulans to achieve their goals.

The Romulan Republic has some serious political power now, and they know it.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I loved it great job on this Mission good to know you can do it again, to get the rest of the set. :) and I want to do it again there might be even more accolades in there I missed.:)