test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sphere Of Influence - Thoughts? [Spoiler Free OP]

johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
So, having completed the mission - yes, it's out today - I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Michael Dorn's voice-work lends the mission an impressive and immersive feel to it, and it was nice to do some skirting around and revisiting of a few plot points from older Star Trek episodes and seeing a few callbacks to certain characters.

The only things that I feel are a let down are the fact that you have to do the mission twice to get all the FE rewards, and with the greatest of respect, it's good, but it's quite long and some people have several toons. So for my seven, that's at least 14 playthroughs to get everything for each character! A minor grievance, I admit.

So, your thoughts? Keep it spoiler-free, thanks.
You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
Post edited by johngazman on

Comments

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I thought it was great, a little long as you said, but still great :) And also a little unnerved when it revealed the true scope and planning behind the scenes there

Seriously, some of those are huge, yet they were invisible the whole time?
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just finished it, and got the epic reward!

My mind = blown, good job Cryptic and thanks for the new shiny ship! :D
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    Just finished it, and got the epic reward!

My mind = blown, good job Cryptic and thanks for the new shiny ship! :D

How long does this last and do you need an Epic build out to complete it? I'm at work right now[slow day] and I have no clue.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    How long does this last and do you need an Epic build out to complete it? I'm at work right now[slow day] and I have no clue.

1 hour ish if you catch all dialog and stop to stare at stuff like I did, no epic gear needed.

But be careful.. ;)
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How long does this last and do you need an Epic build out to complete it?

30 min - 1hr. There's not much fighting, and when you do fight, you get some help from old friends to even the odds out a bit.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    really well done, something for everybody
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nah, you don't need no epic build, because the way the story progress's, you'll just use your ground character + it's equipment for the most part. Then at the end, you use one new ship with a made-for-you build (in every category, but there are some unique Boff skills this time around) for a short while.

But you won't be alone, not by a long shot XD

As for how long, I'd chalk it up to about a half-hour, give or take some mins depending on what speed you wish to take it at
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good episode. Well executed, great voice-over, excellent Trek references.

Rewards are subpar. The free ship is... well nothing is ever free is it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013

The ground combat is fairly easy, no major groups just some single units.

The space combat is a bit harder, but you're not in your ship anyway, so gear is irrelevant. You're also given three dreadnought allies and bridge officers with some crazy OP special powers.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Pros:-
    • Beautiful map and visuals.
    • Another welcome appearance of a certain captain.
    • Nice introduction to new characters (I assume we'll be seeing more of them, like that certain captain).
    • Good story.
    • Great experience.
    • Good dialogue.
    • Hero powers (sign of things to come perhaps, either with special boffs or if we ever get a second in command system).

Cons:-
    • Rechargeable aux, weapon and engine batteries - Cryptic's trolling us (okay, so not really a con) :P.
    • It's a great episode, but it's not something you want to repeat on multiple toons. Again great episode, but not great for grinding.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I remember there being a set involved in the FE. What gear is included in the set, and what are the set bonuses? pics please? :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I remember there being a set involved in the FE. What gear is included in the set, and what are the set bonuses? pics please? :D
    You can go and read the blog on the website. It has all the information.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I read something in esd zone chat about getting advanced drones or something when you've hit an accolade in the FE. I got the Reconaissance accolade, but haven't found anything else.

Good mission though.
  • Options
    daunknownadmindaunknownadmin Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    I read something about getting drones when you've hit an accolade in the FE. I got the Reconaissance accolade, but haven't found anything else.

Good mission though.

There's also The Leap of Faith accolade
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's also The Leap of Faith accolade

please explain?
  • Options
    nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When you make it out of the lab with everyone, jump off the ledge in front of you.
    LEmWhkGA.gif
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nyasaya wrote: »
    When you make it out of the lab with everyone, jump off the ledge in front of you.

I see, so then I take it the "Advanced Swarmers" is just a joke?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    I read something in esd zone chat about getting advanced drones or something when you've hit an accolade in the FE. I got the Reconaissance accolade, but haven't found anything else.

Good mission though.

Advanced and Elite Swarmers are going to be available via the new fleet holding, so anyone who told you otherwise is trolling you.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Loved the episode and was the best mission to date!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Loved the episode and was the best mission to date!

I agree totally. And it was not too long for my taste.
    This mission was awesome. Kudos to the scenarist- and dev team for this one.

Too bad you cant rip anything from that ship. I would have loved to get my hands on those mk XII very rare mag regulators :D as they are overly expensive on the exchange.

I hope someone will post a full accolade list for this mission soon.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    esperderekesperderek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree totally. And it was not too long for my taste.
    This mission was awesome. Kudos to the scenarist- and dev team for this one.

Too bad you cant rip anything from that ship. I would have loved to get my hands on those mk XII very rare mag regulators :D as they are overly expensive on the exchange.

I hope someone will post a full accolade list for this mission soon.

Ship the mag regulators, I wanted to rip Worf and add him to my crew. Shon too while I was at it. The three BOFF skills that they provide were crazy!
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Brilliant mission. the stuff in the observation area where they spy on the planets was superb. great to hear worf and to use his awesome bo powers.

really sets up season 8 and possible the best episode they have done. they keep bettering themselves and i only wish they had made the whole game to this quality. it would have been amazing.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I only have one annoyance that I'd like removed. The OPS option is available all through the gateway room and takes precedence over other goals. It's annoying to press F twice and keep getting the back story for the episode. Keep it only available at the beginning of the episode for those captains with amnesia.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fantastic episode. Really enjoyed it.

The maps were really great, and felt very open and expansive. Excellent design work there.

Worf was a legend. :)
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Advanced and Elite Swarmers are going to be available via the new fleet holding, so anyone who told you otherwise is trolling you.
    Advanced swarmers were linked on several channel by several different person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's a good FE, one of the best IMO.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    There are 6 adv swarmers for free in the "bridge" or "holodeck" room. If you pay dil for those, Cryptic thanks you for getting some out of the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lucho80 wrote: »
    There are 6 adv swarmers for free in the "bridge" or "holodeck" room. If you pay dil for those, Cryptic thanks you for getting some out of the game.

Where abouts in those rooms? I searched them all and found nothing.
  • Options
    mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just played the episode myself. Frigging amazing < ._.> While I'm displeased with the situation regarding the advanced version of the ship being a lobi store item; the episode itself was fantastic.

What sold it for me was the environments - they were just absolutely phenomenal at every single step of the way. Beautiful work there. The ship is incredibly cool looking too - which is precisely why I'm ticked about the lobi thing.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!