test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

new tv show Star Trek Discovery should be in STO?

akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
I know is a long shot since the release date for the new series hasn't been anounced yet, but i was wonderig if we are going to see some of their new things into the game. Maybe like the Defiance show where you could win in game items from watching the show and entering the code from the screen?
In this way maybe we can see new fans into the game if te show is going to be a hit, and i hope it will:D

I made this post more because im so on the hype train of this show and im sorry if im a lost cause:))

What do you guys think? is a good idea or a very bad idea? and why?
my post's number is higher than smirk's dps

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    I hope not. We're finally done with all that time travel stuff and jumping back again to something that takes place between ENT and TOS is the last thing we need now.
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i heard some whispers that dsc may not even make it to air and netflix is p.i.ss.ed at cbs too

so my hype train is not ganna make it:((
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Cryptic can release either Lockbox or C-Store items related to Discovery within a few months after Discovery's Series Premiere provided that they get permission. However, story content would take a couple of years due to getting Discovery's lore properly established. After all, there is always the problem of plot twists to ruin a perfectly good mission. Of course, Cryptic could release a Discovery mission similar to what they did with the Kelvin Universe in Terminal Expanse.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I would think so. Unlike 'Beyond' which is licensed by Paramount, Discovery will be licensed by CBS which also licences STO meaning a cross promotion with a currently airing Star Trek show and currently running Star Trek MMO would be a no-brainer on both sides.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If DCS releases this year, I would expect at least half a year before anything makes it into the game. Probably longer. But I expect something will happen.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    Something from Discovery will more than likely make it into the game. However, I don't think it will be until at least the first season is complete. One reason being, spoilers; and the second reason, it would give the show time to hammer out some details.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    If its CBS, then we will get the ship in a lockbox, thats for sure... probably a R&D promotion... btw, anybody knows when we get the new infinity lockbox?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    gaevsman wrote: »
    If its CBS, then we will get the ship in a lockbox, thats for sure... probably a R&D promotion... btw, anybody knows when we get the new infinity lockbox?

You realise that CBS owns all of Star Trek other than the KT films right? The only CBS owned Federation ships in Lockboxes or R&D packs are the Aeon, Wells, and Universe.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    technowarwitch#0929 technowarwitch Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Most likely we are a year out before anything on TV or movies will come out on STO, it takes time to code new content, and then there is the Lore and Canon, Star Trek fan boys/girls get uppity when things are not correct from the Star Trek Bible.

Unless the developers have inside information on what is coming out it takes time to make it, test it, and get it into a game.

Personally we would love to see new shows and movies, like the new ST with the new kids being brought into the game.
    STO is a beautiful game and has fun missions, and who didn't like more content in an MMO.....
  • Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Nice idea but with the speed of the internet an online codereleased during the show would be in everyone's chat within 24 hours so, don't hope for anything exclusive
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    We will eventually get Discovery content. When we get it is the real question.

I could see them releasing Discovery style uniforms fairly quickly.

As for ships, weapons or even a mission based around the era, I think it would have to wait until the first season has aired, as others have said.

Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    My understanding is Discovery has walked into a no-win situation. To appeal to new viewers -- which is must have to be profitable in the long run -- the tech/ships needs to look like modern sci-fi. In fact it largely needs to look like the reboot (after they oh-so-proudly announced it its definitely not a KT show). To appeal to longtime fans -- which it must have or why call it Star Trek at all? -- it needs to look more primitive than a 1960s TV show and a legacy built on painted wood. CBS has essentially bet against the movies after the movies were proven winners.

Essentially there is no winning play, and they're already in debt to Netflix so they can't back out gracefully. Then add the fun of fan-favorite Brian "If he's doing it it'll be great" Fuller who has said repeatedly in the past he'd drop anything to do a new Trek walking off the project to do another show mid-production. That speaks to SERIOUS turmoil in production no matter how much everyone smiles and tries to look friendly in front of the cameras like the long-time professionals they are.

That said, unless its blatantly a fiery train wreck even before it begins airing (and we're almost there now), Cryptic is going to do EVERYTHING in their power to load STO up with Discovery content the same damn day it airs if they can. And at this point even Paramount seems to recognize STOs value as a cross-platform promotion opportunity, so I expect Cryptic to actually be give the tools to do that content in a surprisingly timely fashion. Its pretty much a win-win for CBS both way - brings attention to a show that dearly needs it and brings attention to STO which would turn those improved numbers around and bring in bigger licensing royalty checks from Perfect World.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    artan42 wrote: »

You realise that CBS owns all of Star Trek other than the KT films right? The only CBS owned Federation ships in Lockboxes or R&D packs are the Aeon, Wells, and Universe.

Yup, same as the T6 Connie, i'm not complaining, just pointing out the way they will introduce them in the game... or Lobi, if we think about the T6 NX.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,842 Arc User
    I'll be happy if we never see it in game :p

That thing, the discovery is a hideous monstrosity...and the other ship already looks like a ship they stole from STO (Not something that belongs in the 23rd century in a prequel to the Connie...at least the NX looked like it belonged in the era it was in).
  • Options

Yup, same as the T6 Connie, i'm not complaining, just pointing out the way they will introduce them in the game... or Lobi, if we think about the T6 NX.

The T6 Conni is the single exception because that was CBS' attempt at brand protection by keeping the ship non-existent (and now massivly limited) There is no reason to suspect they would do that with say a T6 Discovery any more than they didn't with the T6 Galaxy or the T6 Intrepid.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options

The T6 Conni is the single exception because that was CBS' attempt at brand protection by keeping the ship non-existent (and now massivly limited) There is no reason to suspect they would do that with say a T6 Discovery any more than they didn't with the T6 Galaxy or the T6 Intrepid.​​

Yeah i got your view, still, i think that they wont put it on the c-store, unless they put it as T1-T2, i dunno, i kind of think the'll go on Lobi or Lockbox
  • Options

The T6 Conni is the single exception because that was CBS' attempt at brand protection by keeping the ship non-existent (and now massivly limited) There is no reason to suspect they would do that with say a T6 Discovery any more than they didn't with the T6 Galaxy or the T6 Intrepid.

Yeah i got your view, still, i think that they wont put it on the c-store, unless they put it as T1-T2, i dunno, i kind of think the'll go on Lobi or Lockbox

I don't see why. Almost every ship in the game has a T6 version that can use the original skin. I see a 2410 refit that can use the original Discovery skin. It's not a future, mirror, KT, or a Conni ship, and there's no rights issues involved with its use. I think that after the NX refit there's a possibility they may be testing how well a canon (it can use the original NX hull) faction ship would do in a special obtaining method but I still belive it's more likly it will simply be a matter of paying 3000zen and getting it.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Yeah, I do think TRIBBLE lockboxes should be in STO.
  • Options

The T6 Conni is the single exception because that was CBS' attempt at brand protection by keeping the ship non-existent (and now massivly limited) There is no reason to suspect they would do that with say a T6 Discovery any more than they didn't with the T6 Galaxy or the T6 Intrepid.

I don't see why. Almost every ship in the game has a T6 version that can use the original skin. I see a 2410 refit that can use the original Discovery skin. It's not a future, mirror, KT, or a Conni ship, and there's no rights issues involved with its use. I think that after the NX refit there's a possibility they may be testing how well a canon (it can use the original NX hull) faction ship would do in a special obtaining method but I still belive it's more likly it will simply be a matter of paying 3000zen and getting it.​​

That would be great, i haven't seen the final design for the Discovery, i hope is a pretty ship
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    It would not surprise me if some of Cryptic & some of DIS creative crew already have some form of contact and we actually do get a set of DIS themed missions and stuff buy in store (and probably an Lockbox) around the start of DIS. They promote stuff from the show and fans from it might check out STO + the most likely occurring relogg of long time offliners that might see if there had been a few changes in the past X years which could give Cryptic the precious rare 2nd chance to impress MMOs usually do not have. Its healthy for the show and healthy for the game.

If no one with an destructive egotrip sits in a position of decision and plays partypooper we might have some great times ahead.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    While I do see Cryptic adding DIS ships into STO, I don't really see too many missions being added that are based on it.

Cryptic has said in the past that(at least before AoY came out) the reason why there isn't much ENT or TOS themed content in STO is because the events of those shows happened so far in the past that any consequences of them would have logically played ago a century ago. Which is why they used time travel as a major plot point in AOY, and used AOY to broadly cover both ENT and TOS at the same time.

Anything DIS does would just lead to the state of the galaxy as we see in TOS, which in turn just lead to the state of the galaxy we see in TNG/DS9/VOY, which means the things in it have already played out.

This is even more likely to be the case because, IIRC, its been mentioned several times that DIS will deal with an event that had been mentioned previously in Trek lore, but never seen. Since it is a canon event already, and we already know how it effects the galaxy, it means there would be very little to build off of for STO's timeframe outside name dropping that the DIS was there or w/e.

And that was most likely their honest intention. Back then. Before details of a new major Trek series where known. We are talking about a faaaar bigger scope now than the occasional TOS fanservice.
  • Options
    While I do see Cryptic adding DIS ships into STO, I don't really see too many missions being added that are based on it.

Cryptic has said in the past that(at least before AoY came out) the reason why there isn't much ENT or TOS themed content in STO is because the events of those shows happened so far in the past that any consequences of them would have logically played ago a century ago. Which is why they used time travel as a major plot point in AOY, and used AOY to broadly cover both ENT and TOS at the same time.

Anything DIS does would just lead to the state of the galaxy as we see in TOS, which in turn just lead to the state of the galaxy we see in TNG/DS9/VOY, which means the things in it have already played out.

This is even more likely to be the case because, IIRC, its been mentioned several times that DIS will deal with an event that had been mentioned previously in Trek lore, but never seen. Since it is a canon event already, and we already know how it effects the galaxy, it means there would be very little to build off of for STO's timeframe outside name dropping that the DIS was there or w/e.

I hope is the Romulan War, that would be fun