Options

Sphere Of Influence - Thoughts? [Spoiler Free OP]

12346»

Comments

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    TAnd while I'm not privy to what we paid Mr. Dorn for his contribution, I imagine it isn't peanuts.

Did you ask him? Maybe the man really loves peanuts?
  • Options
    smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To my mind, there are a couple of problems with voicing everything.

1) Cost. Voice work isn't free. And while I'm not privy to what we paid Mr. Dorn for his contribution, I imagine it isn't peanuts. I think that we focused our voice over budget on the important part, Worf.

2) Patch size. You're mistaken about "those few megabytes." One of the biggest single patch bloats out there is Audio. Doing full voice work for the whole episode would have expanded the patch size significantly. And that carries a bunch of problems with it. It takes more space on everyone's hard drives. It takes longer to download. It takes up more bandwidth from the rest of the game. Etc.

While I think we'd all love to see the whole thing voiced, it's not practical.

Why not get branflaks int he booth he doesn't really do anything else or even get some of the dev's or heck I bet there are a TON of players out there that would LOVE to do voice over work so not every darn NPC you meet sounds the same. You have what one female voice actor which makes all females sound the same. And I am tired of MY toon not having a voice it totally ruins the cut scenes.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The one big complaint I have is the fact that you need to talk to a Security guy at one point, and the overhead title for him reads "Engineering," rather than "Security."

I guess I have to buy something to get the third set piece for my Obelisk?

And I agree with calls to increase the max number of ship slots.

I was very pleased to learn that Cryptic went with player feedback on a name for the Romulan Republic's flagship, as seen here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10862851&postcount=3
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10862921&postcount=5
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10863141&postcount=8
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10865481&postcount=9
  • Options
    zachverantzachverant Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Loved the FE...THX for making Worf look like a Klingon Warrior again instead of looking like some crazed homeless guy on a park bench :o

We should think about raising the ship limits. Some of us are pushing the Limit and some of us are already at the limit.

GREAT Job Devs :)

Betty
    "Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
    Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
    Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
    1000 day vet and LTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
  • Options
    ciprianp1ciprianp1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is this a single episode or is a proper FE series? It might sound like a stupid question, but all of the rewards and the fact that S8 is launching on the 12th indicate that this is not a FE series, but an episode.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ciprianp1 wrote: »
    Is this a single episode or is a proper FE series? It might sound like a stupid question, but all of the rewards and the fact that S8 is launching on the 12th indicate that this is not a FE series, but an episode.

Yup, it was just a one-off.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    Oh hell... thank you!
    I'm embarrased that I didn't thought of backtracking the whole thing...
    Laf, me too. I would never in a million years think of backtracking like that. I guess that's why they're 'easter eggs', eh?

So, since you apparently get an accolade for falling off the platforms, where do you respawn? Can you get to the end (thus freeing up the secret compartment) and then jump to your 'death', then respawn at the beginning, pick up the hidden shiny and catch up to the others?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, since you apparently get an accolade for falling off the platforms, where do you respawn? Can you get to the end (thus freeing up the secret compartment) and then jump to your 'death', then respawn at the beginning, pick up the hidden shiny and catch up to the others?

No, you don't even die - you just get returned to the spot you jumped/fell from.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    No, you don't even die - you just get returned to the spot you jumped/fell from.
    Hm, well that is, as my 15 year old would say, "Sha-poopy".

Don't ask, I don't even.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    So is the RRW Lleiset, the name of the Romulan Republic flagship? Since the KDF and UFP ones were present.

Lleiset (leh-EE-seht) is Romulan for "Freedom", so I assume it is the new flag ship.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    *snip*

When you're in the same room as someone you know (even a large room), do you pull out your cell phone to talk to them, or do you walk over to them?

*snip*

I don't know, I've seen some people do some silly things in my time...wouldn't surprise me that some people want to tap their combadge just to say hello to someone two feet in front of them =P

zerobang wrote: »
    *snip*

before the gateway activation i walked OUT OF THE DOOR, because i knew this wasn't going to end well ... PREDICTABLE...
    Press F.... aaand... i'm inside the room with the others and of course the exit is blocked.

So... why can't i ask my ship for a beam up??? Anybody?... nooo we HAVE TO go through the gateway!!!! but but... Ship! Transporters!... Nooo it's in the script dooo eeet!
    Oh whatever... *jump*

*snip*

I seem to recall something about transporters not operating very well around active Iconian gateways, as I was reminded about doing the final mission of the Reman arc last night.

Also, sometimes for a story to happen, *something* has to happen, and I say the mission did pretty well with itself explaining the hows and whys.

My only problem with the mission is one moment of oddness...when Admiral Kererek is seen trapped with you in the gate room and then leaves through the gate with everyone else in an escape from the falling rocks only to NOT show up in the next part, with NPCs saying they saw Kererek escape out of the gate room BEFORE the rocks fell. That could use a little...touch-up, to say the least =P

That and a few dialog issues among different characters in different factions who have met/haven't met certain characters, like when I'd get two dialog windows from Captain Shon in greeting as if he hadn't met me before and then as if I indeed had met him before. But nothing major beyond that.

I'm very pleased with this mission, love the environments (gotta fix that Earth Spacedock while viewing Earth, though), the plot, Worf being Worf, and the fancy-looking ship! Going to need more ship slots and/or various other ship-storing methods, however >_<
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    ...snip...

before the gateway activation i walked OUT OF THE DOOR, because i knew this wasn't going to end well ... PREDICTABLE...
    Press F.... aaand... i'm inside the room with the others and of course the exit is blocked.

So... why can't i ask my ship for a beam up??? Anybody?... nooo we HAVE TO go through the gateway!!!! but but... Ship! Transporters!... Nooo it's in the script dooo eeet!
    Oh whatever... *jump*

...snip...

You forget where the Iconian Gate was found deep underground. Presumably deeper then a transporter can function. Or some transporter blocking minerals are on the rocks above gate.
  • Options
    jrbrianjrbrian Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyed the new episode. Michael Dorn was great. THANK YOU MR DORN!!!!

Only one comment. One of the rewards could have been a core for the war birds perhaps?? Just a thought.
  • Options
    jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I certainly hope Micheal Dorn sees all this praise he's getting and it inspires other trek actors because that would be fantastic.
  • Options
    jrbrianjrbrian Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jrwith wrote: »
    I certainly hope Micheal Dorn sees all this praise he's getting and it inspires other trek actors because that would be fantastic.

That would be positively awesome!!!!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    snip

Do you know the term "retcon"?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!