Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Also:(though he/she seems to ignore the possibility that the pronated manus couldn't have evolved that way, but idk)

=D

Didn't quite catch what you were throwing out there. Come again?
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can I get a combat trex pet to sit next to me on my ship?:D
    Already asked for that, I would happily pay zen to get that T-Rex...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is there any chance that you guys could get Scott McNeil to voice one of these new dinos?
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lol them concept images are very silly lookin with them in robot suits, just like tholians look silly in their armor suits. I highly doubt star trek would have them look like that imo. Especially voth, they looked like they wouldnt need it also they have far better tech to never need it to be honest.

Still the normal lookin voth image looked ok, u got the faces right at least. Tho the left voth looked a bit over dressed.

Killdozen, i reckon they will have a voth doff at some point possibly when the voth lock box comes and u just know they will do it. Dont think voth doffs would in canon work like due to them despising humans cos of the history of the voth but well it wont stop cryptic will it. :D

I still reckon cryptic has gona nuts with having the voth as the bad guys, they should be neutral and instead have a story arc maybe going to talk with em and open diplomacy or somit if starfleet ever did do somit. I always felt the voth were reasonable apart from that women one.

Also.

This sounds reasonably inteligent to me.

"The Voth in "Distant Origin" (Star Trek: Voyager, Ep 3?23) are portrayed as highly evolved scientists, and we wondered whether or not they would even have a military."

Then we have this which i am displeased with, because they treat star trek as a game instead of a realistic representation of the show we all love.

"In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers. We talked about everything from mechs and dinosaurs to flying creatures and super soldiers. At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!?

They just ruin it for the rest of us that like to keep things the way the shows had em and not just make stuff up for "games sake". :(

If i wanted a fantasy game with flying monsters and dinos with lasers on their heads i would play WoW or some TRIBBLE. Sto is suppose to be for the mature sci fi based players. Least thats how i see it. Im sure others that dont care as much will soon point that out below.

QFT
    Just watched the episode and can't see how you can add them to the game as a villain. They didn't need armor or lasers on their head to render Voyager completely impotent.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I watched it. Good watch. But Eugene Roddenberry said NOTHING like that about his father. Not about the new films, and certainly not about this game. In fact, it was discussed about how Gene actually wanted something like the new Star Trek movies, and that Abrams was actually trying to honor that wish. And he didn't say anything that even hinted that he didn't want dinosaurs in Star Trek. Not even in the least.

Watch it again, this time with unbiased eyes.

Unbiased eyes... My god man, what are you my god! I have watched it with eyes wide open, and I listened to what they said, it seems you did not...

Remember that was about the first film, the reboot... Not about the TRIBBLE that followed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    Didn't quite catch what you were throwing out there. Come again?
    Well sure, the artists might not have researched the T-rex's biology. But regardless, the pronated manus you pointed out could have canonically been the result of evolution. That's what I tried to say.
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ficr wrote: »
    QFT
    Just watched the episode and can't see how you can add them to the game as a villain. They didn't need armor or lasers on their head to render Voyager completely impotent.

Right finally someone who watched the episode also, they were not villains!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ... Really? They're not villians for threatening to murder the entire crew for stating the truth... You do realize they're crusaders in Dinosaur form right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd really like Geko to consider what his players want and not what he "thinks is cool" before making important decisions. From the last couple things I've heard from him, he's just on a "make it fun" bender that keeps taking us farther and father from any semblance of Trek.
    Paladin auras for space ships and now dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. I know there's a lot of wacky stuff already in this game and in Trek in general but we can we please tone it down a bit?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'd really like Geko to consider what his players want and not what he "thinks is cool" before making important decisions. From the last couple things I've heard from him, he's just on a "make it fun" bender that keeps taking us farther and father from any semblance of Trek.
    Paladin auras for space ships and now dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. I know there's a lot of wacky stuff already in this game and in Trek in general but we can we please tone it down a bit?

What players want? From a lot of the comments posted in this thread, there is a fair few out there who WANT this...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    Unbiased eyes... My god man, what are you my god! I have watched it with eyes wide open, and I listened to what they said, it seems you did not...

Remember that was about the first film, the reboot... Not about the TRIBBLE that followed...
    This seems to reek of bias... or you might be deluded and not know it... or any number of similar implications

Because that's not a calm, rational response :/
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What are we going to fight battlemechs and dinosaurs in? Shuttles?!

(Unless we players are all Augments? :P)

That said, I don't quite agree with the direction the Voth was taken. It better address what happened to the Distant Origin movement. Yes, I know nothing was changed back in Voyager, but I was hoping it wouldn't need another supernova for a species to learn that peaceful endeavors made more sense than violence.

As it stands, the current Voth incarnation befits CO more than STO.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    heavensrun wrote: »
    Dinos need more feathers.

Not all dinos had feathers.

Of course, if they added any of the Raptors, I would expect some feathers, but this is a game, after all.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaur mounts!!!!

I want to ride a T-rex around in shanty town XD
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well sure, the artists might not have researched the T-rex's biology. But regardless, the pronated manus you pointed out could have canonically been the result of evolution. That's what I tried to say.

I can't dispute that, I admit. I still suspect it was more lack of research than anything else, but I'd buy that story if they explained it so. retroactive justification and whatnot.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    [...]the Distant Origin movement.[...]

Two Guys (one of them a... "traitor") hardly constitute a "Movement" :)
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now that the Voth are also getting exoskeletons, and the Tholians already had this, then why not add this to the ground equipment for players. These would be nice to have in a solo PVE or a group PVE mission. Of course, there would have to be some control or limit on how many could be used in a PvP to maintain balance. The concept sounds interesting to have in your ground mission (if not something the player can equp on themselves then add it to the away team support TAC can use in ground missions). Of course, my real goal would be to have this as an alternate armour outfit to use on my toon and/or Boffs. :D
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will pay ANYTHING to have dinosaur mounts. ANYTHING. To hell with canon, you've mucked it up since launch. GIVE US DINOSAUR MOUNTS!

Now theres a sentence I never thought I would ever hear in a star trek game

I quite literally facepalmed when I saw the trex in the armor. Tell me you aren't seriously considering adding that to the game. That is some kind of concept art joke, right?

If not you're going to be the laughing stock of the internet when it gets released, and not in a good way. Thats going to the point of absurd stupidity. If you're actually releasing that, whoever approved it needs their head examined, at both cryptic and cbs.
    I think "Star Trek: Online" 'jumped the shark' and 'nuked the fridge' all at once.

This. Though why do I get the feeling theres going to be an internet meme along the lines of 'STO jumped the trex' sometime in the near future
    Not sure how this is childish at all, I'm 22 and I think this is bloody awesome.

Are you seriously stating that you don't see the blatantly obvious reasons why having armored battle trex's...in a 24th century star trek game, is a disaster waiting to happen? Seriously?
    Ah come on, lots of other sci-fi series have done dinosaurs in space. Its kind of like a requirement for every sci-fi thing now. Starwars has them, and Dr Who has them too. Why not Star Trek?

Show me a movie with dinosaurs in the star wars franchise. This is a star trek game. A species evolved from a dinosaur makes sense. Fighting an armored trex does not
    No there isn't. This game is 100% Star Trek. Just because you don't like something in Star Trek doesn't make it any less Star Trek.

If its 100% star trek, there wouldn't be armored trex's in the game
    Really guys? The dinosaur mounts are too far? From the same series that claims you can escape a black hole either by finding a crack in the event horizon or by blowing up your own warp core in it. While also having a single Borg Cube wiping out swaths of federation fleets in a movie but the heavily armored version gets disabled by a lone science vessel in the middle of nowhere, performs necromancy on a daily basis, had a Redshirt who was vaporized come back in a later story, solves problems by reversing the polarity (to you non-scientifics out there, that's putting the battery in backwards) and regularly sends the 3 senior most officers down to do grunt work with one actual grunt who's real job is to get killed to prove the situation is serious. And that's not even discussing things like the Talaxians or the Ocampan breeding cycle that halves their population every 9 years. And its the Dinosaur Mounts that are too far.

Are you seriously comparing armored dinosaurs to all of that? You don't see the difference? Really? Twisting physics or biology a little is not the same thing as the dinos. Not by a long shot. By your logic you should be able to excuse anything because, if you haven't noticed, faster than light travel is nonsense as well - something rather central to star trek
    THIS IS STAR T-REX!
    Voth Marines, attack! In the name of the Doctrine!

Like I said, the laughing stock of the internet
    You know, with the rep this game has, you guys should really be more careful about how you phrase things. Austin Power's quotes aren't going to be taken well with the trekie players.

This. Introducing armored dinosaurs that shoot lasers, while referencing austin powers as inspiration....isn't exactly on the top ten list of smart things cryptic has done
    Give me a break on throwing around the childish label for this as if some people have never watched an episode of Star Trek in their lives.

Except that dinosaurs with armor that shoot lasers is childish, on the level of saturday morning cartoons. Its not a label, its stating the obvious. Theres nothing in any star trek series that even remotely compares to that
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is probably the best thing that's ever happened to ground combat.
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the both armor looks real cool but as for the last picture I assume its supposed to be a mech design if you want to go that far can we have something that doesn't look like a cartoon even this old thing looks better
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    While I am enjoying running my 50 sci VA around STO, I hope the Voth do not ruin it. First the Elachi and now the Voth as dev created villains. I appreciate all the devs do (and the Foundry too) for adding new content to explore but I am a bit worried the "dev pets" will be too powerful for players to counter because its a natural human reaction to make YOUR guy the best at everything. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but thats how I feel.

That being said, I hope we get to play STO for a long time because right now its the only thing carrying the torch for the REAL Trek universe (hated "Into the Darkness")

Both the Elachi and Voth are actually from Star trek episodes................
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    What players want? From a lot of the comments posted in this thread, there is a fair few out there who WANT this...

Yeah, fifty morons who drink the Cryptic koolaid. I see those in favor of season 8 as your former WoW playing, generic F2P MMO player that would be stoked if faeries and crab people were added to this game. IE people who don't give a F.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Now theres a sentence I never thought I would ever hear in a star trek game

I quite literally facepalmed when I saw the trex in the armor. Tell me you aren't seriously considering adding that to the game. That is some kind of concept art joke, right?

If not you're going to be the laughing stock of the internet when it gets released, and not in a good way. Thats going to the point of absurd stupidity. If you're actually releasing that, whoever approved it needs their head examined, at both cryptic and cbs.

This. Though why do I get the feeling theres going to be an internet meme along the lines of 'STO jumped the trex' sometime in the near future

Are you seriously stating that you don't see the blatantly obvious reasons why having armored battle trex's...in a 24th century star trek game, is a disaster waiting to happen? Seriously?

Show me a movie with dinosaurs in the star wars franchise. This is a star trek game. A species evolved from a dinosaur makes sense. Fighting an armored trex does not

If its 100% star trek, there wouldn't be armored trex's in the game

Are you seriously comparing armored dinosaurs to all of that? You don't see the difference? Really? Twisting physics or biology a little is not the same thing as the dinos. Not by a long shot. By your logic you should be able to excuse anything because, if you haven't noticed, faster than light travel is nonsense as well - something rather central to star trek

Like I said, the laughing stock of the internet

This. Introducing armored dinosaurs that shoot lasers, while referencing austin powers as inspiration....isn't exactly on the top ten list of smart things cryptic has done

Except that dinosaurs with armor that shoot lasers is childish, on the level of saturday morning cartoons. Its not a label, its stating the obvious. Theres nothing in any star trek series that even remotely compares to that
    My reply to all of this is simply... we have different opinions

You have yours, what is Star Trek and what isn't (which for you, this isn't). Other have their opinions, which you've replied to. And unless they come out and say so, they ARE serious, so this making STO a laughing stock isn't fact until proven otherwise

And I seriously doubt it will. Interest, certainly, and probably an extension to the already-existing 'this isn't ST' camp... which has been claimed as early as TNG's Enterprise-D being too ugly to be an Enterprise :/ And yet, ST lives on, so STO will too for awhile
    Yeah, fifty morons who drink the Cryptic koolaid. I see those in favor of season 8 as your former WoW playing, generic F2P MMO player that would be stoked if faeries and crab people were added to this game. IE people who don't give a F.
    I wouldn't claim that so fast -_-

I started ST at TOS (not the original run, but afterward), got into TNG afterward, and am working through the other three. Love the series, but am also a fan of the new ST movies, and never played WoW, peroid.

And I like this addition :) Also, thecosmic1 said it better than I have
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    glasgow4glasgow4 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Would be nice if more Star Trek fans had the guts to just say "I don't like it" rather than invoking Roddenberry. Is your own opinion of so little value that it has to be backed up by someone better? Roddenberry was responsible for some the dumber ideas uttered in Star Trek. The stereotype of Star Trek fans as sexually repressed perverts can probably be attributed at least partially to him. There were credible rumors floating around that he ***** at least one cast member during TOS's run. Even if we could somehow know what he would have thought if he were alive today, he was not a man whose opinions should carry much weight.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Never played WoW, didn't interest me, as for crab people, we call them Tholians :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    esperderekesperderek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am perfectly at ease with T-Rexes in battle armor and giant battle-mechs to do battle with. They are awesome. And considering this is a franchise that had space jellyfish, the acid plant planet, and fake vomit toys that induce insanity, this is tame.

Oh, and the alien possessing ghost of Jack the Ripper.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let me guess, you never watched any TOS? You know, that series which had Greek Gods in space, Abraham Lincoln in space, American Indians in space, TRIBBLE in space, 2 different sentient satellites returning to destroy humanity, giant whale pods come to talk to humpbacks, time travel to the '30s, '60s, and '80s, and all the rest. Nothing was ever off limits in Trek. Not furry tribbles and not omnipotent beings like Trelane or Q.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinos would be really appreachiated.

STO is broadening its horizons, and making face interesting and different threats.

Random fact: I never need to say "Here sir" when the register in the morning is being called out. I behave like a Tholian , and the teacher "knows" I am "sending a message" via radiation of here sir!

I wonder how dinosaur would turn out.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    glasgow4 wrote: »
    Would be nice if more Star Trek fans had the guts to just say "I don't like it" rather than invoking Roddenberry. Is your own opinion of so little value that it has to be backed up by someone better? Roddenberry was responsible for some the dumber ideas uttered in Star Trek. The stereotype of Star Trek fans as sexually repressed perverts can probably be attributed at least partially to him. There were credible rumors floating around that he ***** at least one cast member during TOS's run. Even if we could somehow know what he would have thought if he were alive today, he was not a man whose opinions should carry much weight.
    It was also no coincidence that after he was 'kicked upstairs' (after The Motion Picture and the first season of TNG), ST generally improved :P Sure, still had it's down moments and such, but generally improved in quality nontheless
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, the Voth are just the worst! Give me back my "Real" Star Trek, that would never do anything as outlandish as a dinosaur in space.

Ah, I remember the "Real" Star Trek, with its Pakleds that were somehow space-faring, Klingons played as evil Space-Mongolians by white people wearing boot polish and fu-manchu's, giant planet devouring snowflakes/starship eating amoebas, male pregnancies with wrist-nipples, cultures modeling themselves entirely on TRIBBLE/Romans/Mobsters/etc, the Klingon Empire waging a war of extermination against Tribbles, Tribbles themselves, humans sucessfully crossbreeding with beings with wildly dissimilar biologies and genetics, no cure for male pattern baldness by the 23rd century. Good, realistic, plausible stuff there. Not like this "Space Dinosaur" nonsense!