What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the Dino Models. Makes me wonder what kind of challenge they will bring?

But i'm curious about the Dinos themselves. Are they species that the Voth took with them as they left the Earth? Or they just happened to find another world that had a species that looked exactly like T-Rex?

And if they are Earth Dinos, why no evolution like the Voth after 65 million years? Clones of ancient genes that they preserved? Or did the Voth restrained their evolution to be used, like here, for their military forces?
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    I tihnk you have never watched the documentary on Gene, made by his son, trust me when I say, he would have been angry with the new films and this game, would never have been made like this. If he was still around...

Gene had a vision of the future, he saw mankind on a different level then we are today....

Friggen T-Rex with laser beams was not one of them...
    'Made by his son' already presents some contradictions, because it's his son claiming them, not Gene himself. Plus, he had that vision for MANKIND... nowhere did he claim this applies to possible mutated branches like the Voth.

Also, Gene did have a vision, but he ALSO wanted to make money. The new movies and STO are doing so, so he'd be happy, I'd imagine. Perfectly happy with everything? Not a chance. Hate every single thing about the new? Same answer.

Either way, we can't claim to know Gene's reactions to this in the first place; only he could do that, and the rest is guesswork we can't prove (no matter how close or far it is)

And on a non-reply-to-you aspect, are these images cool? Absolutely :D But for the most part, I'm more happy by the greater variety we can encounter the Voth in (at least ground-wise; ships are still to come)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh my god. The potential for jokes, it is endless.:eek:

THIS IS STAR T-REX!
    Voth Marines, attack! In the name of the Doctrine!
    Voth Warrior III
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Liking the feel of this FE, and oncoming season more and more. I have only one real question. With the introduction of the Voth will we get any new options in the create an alien option, like more reptilian elements, tails, ect. The new content is looking more and more fun.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I start running when those things decide to form the Megazord.

Joking aside, this looks pretty interesting and I'm of the same band that says "can they join us, too?"
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh my god. The potential for jokes, it is endless.:eek:

THIS IS STAR T-REX!
    Voth Marines, attack! In the name of the Doctrine!
    Voth Warrior III

DOOM has never had such a ripe occasion to deal with...

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was just about to reinstall STO, so I can buy and use the new Avenger.

grrr...

I think the dinosaurs make the game a little too childish. If I were between the ages of ten and thirteen, I would jump at a chance to play season eight.

Sorry guys. I am going to hold off until some footage is shown.
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's cool. Kinda childish, but cool.I only hope that the new adventure zone is fun and rewarding, unlike New Romulus. Dinosaurs with lasers are not gonna make it fun, good gameplay mechanics are what we need.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't believe what I am seeing! :eek:

This is going to be awesome! A Dyson Sphere, and dinosaurs!

With each new addition to the game I wonder how you can top it, but you keep doing just that. :)
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You know, with the rep this game has, you guys should really be more careful about how you phrase things. Austin Power's quotes aren't going to be taken well with the trekie players.

Personally, I don't care. I mean, I've got "federation" officers flying around on a Tholian carrier (thought I have to thank Cryptic for the miner costume option, realy fit in with my backstory for that one), I have liberated borg left and right, I even have my best attempt at a Silurian (Madam Vastra quasi clone for the Dr Who fans, and yes she has a "Jenny" and a "Strax") who I am fully intending to gear up as a Voth fighter. Because Silurian's were there first, gosh darn it.

So yeah, bring it on, my enjoyment of Star Trek isn't ruined by this. And I'm hoping for pilotable mech and Voth BOFFs as well.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited October 2013
    And a recent study/survey of over 10,000 women: 90% believed that men don't stop being children - EVER!! 100% believed that they act like children at least several times per month!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All is forgiven. This is the best.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    I tihnk you have never watched the documentary on Gene, made by his son, trust me when I say, he would have been angry with the new films and this game, would never have been made like this. If he was still around...

Gene had a vision of the future, he saw mankind on a different level then we are today....

Friggen T-Rex with laser beams was not one of them...
    I watched it. Good watch. But Eugene Roddenberry said NOTHING like that about his father. Not about the new films, and certainly not about this game. In fact, it was discussed about how Gene actually wanted something like the new Star Trek movies, and that Abrams was actually trying to honor that wish. And he didn't say anything that even hinted that he didn't want dinosaurs in Star Trek. Not even in the least.

Watch it again, this time with unbiased eyes.
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dino pets. Give. Now.

...Just after some sort of 4-year overdue update to PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Love everything I'm seeing, EXCEPT... The dinoborgs have pronated wrists. Bad Artists, BAD!!!
    Theropods lacked the range of motion to point their manus (hands) "Palm back/down" Their wrist bones lock their manus so the palms face inward toward each other, like they're about to clap.
    Now take my damned money and give me a Quetzalcoatlus or Hatzegopteryx with disruptor dhc's and a torpedo launcher to fly in atmospheric events! :P
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    <=== 15 year old 50-somethig.

Never gonna grow up.
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic. . . . can I have a T-Rex with laser beams and a jet pack? Please? I wanna ride it around squishing people on ESD while waving the Romulan banner and shouting out Romulan philosophy. Please?
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, Reminds me of This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4zvQfDhi0
    oracion666 wrote: »
    Cryptic. . . . can I have a T-Rex with laser beams and a jet pack? Please? I wanna ride it around squishing people on ESD while waving the Romulan banner and shouting out Romulan philosophy. Please?

I'm under the impression that the Disco Ball Dev is still unterminated. This person would be the one to appeal to for such an addition.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I watched it. Good watch. But Eugene Roddenberry said NOTHING like that about his father. Not about the new films, and certainly not about this game. In fact, it was discussed about how Gene actually wanted something like the new Star Trek movies, and that Abrams was actually trying to honor that wish. And he didn't say anything that even hinted that he didn't want dinosaurs in Star Trek. Not even in the least.

Watch it again, this time with unbiased eyes.

Exactly, well said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited October 2013
    hmmm, since klingons like to display their trophies maybe an accolade unlock for vanquished voth grants new armor/visual unlocks at the tailor?

If we're gonna fight alien t-rexs do I need to bring my Tec bow? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Give me a break on throwing around the childish label for this as if some people have never watched an episode of Star Trek in their lives.

Sigh, this is yet another reason TOS is my favorite trek because after 1979 and 1987 its like Star Trek became increasingly stuck on trying to be "serious" and "intellectual" to the point that they started sucking all the fun out of it.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh I could pick so many holes with this, but it's so awesome and original that I'm just going to keep on grinning. I hope we'll get a reason as to why (apparently) the Hadrosaur evolved where the Tyrannosaurus didn't (apart from maybe shrinking a little).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I get a sort of Starship Troopers feel; I see power suits but instead of spiders with laser there is a T-Rex with lasers.

If Heinlein can make spiders with lasers work, I'm sure laser-armed dinos deserve a chance.

It's also new content.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Oh I could pick so many holes with this, but it's so awesome and original that I'm just going to keep on grinning. I hope we'll get a reason as to why (apparently) the Hadrosaur evolved where the Tyrannosaurus didn't (apart from maybe shrinking a little).

It kinda looks like the Tyrannosaur did evolve a bit. Reduced size, as you pointed out. The manus (hands) have regained a digit, and the manus are pronated (the concept artist didn't do their homework on that part imho) instead of palms inward
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Humans relate to the persecuted herbivores, they also don't like evolved Carnivores.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's not as inconsistent as you may think. =) See this post.

Also:
    rexyf wrote: »
    It kinda looks like the Tyrannosaur did evolve a bit. Reduced size, as you pointed out. The manus (hands) have regained a digit, and the manus are pronated (the concept artist didn't do their homework on that part imho) instead of palms inward
    (though he/she seems to ignore the possibility that the pronated manus couldn't have evolved that way, but idk)

=D
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinos need more feathers.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Devs... I want a dinosaur mount!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options