test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free T6 defiant + spec points in the mail?

One of my acquaintances has gotten this and says it's a thank you for veteran players. Others say it's the "please come back and play" bribe.

whats goin on here?

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Would not surprise me if it’s another come back and play incentive. Since those who played the past week got a bunch of other free stuff why not.

But nice to see that cryptic pwe is still enthusiastic to repair the best expansion ever. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Free T6 Defiant?! Already have one, but, erm, isn't it kinda the Bizarro World to reward ppl who *don't* play, and ignore your loyal customers?! LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    As I've said in the last few threads about this it's a simple and effective marketing strategy used ALL THE DAMN TIME!

Nothing to see here move along.
  • Options
    divinejdivinej Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I got one too, free T6 boat + 10 spec points and anniversary Qmendations.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I remember the last free T6 ship "come back and play" giveaway. Couldn't hardly see the thing over all the whining and complaining. Too much to ask for fellow players of this game to simply be happy for those who got something free out of pwe/cryptic. If I were pwe/cryptic, I'd not have done something like this a second time after the negativity and outright petty jealousy displayed here last time.

Psst! You guys who got a free Valiant! Good deal! Happy for ya! Now, go out there and enjoy the damned thing right out in the open in front of everybody! And when someone asks how you got it, tell'em you got it as part of a FREE Giveaway!

EDIT: If I may, I'd like to suggest a name for the Valiant! U.S.S. MY FREE T6 Ride!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I got it yesterday and I've been playing consistently for a few weeks now. It said it was a "thank you for elite captains like you" It didn't say anything like "come back to us" or anything like that.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    I got it yesterday and I've been playing consistently for a few weeks now. It said it was a "thank you for elite captains like you" It didn't say anything like "come back to us" or anything like that.

So, I'm not an elite Captain then?! LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Free T6 Defiant?! Already have one, but, erm, isn't it kinda the Bizarro World to reward ppl who *don't* play, and ignore your loyal customers?! LOL.

Remember this is Cryptic/ PWE were talking about, all they care about is the metrics and getting people to log in, why bother with players who already log in when they can give incentives to people who dont play to log in.

Its crazy but this is the cryptic/PWE way of things.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

Neither am I appearently... and I was trying sooo hard.... :'(:*
  • Options
    cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Yeah the last time Cryptic did this they gifted "certain" players that Andromeda ship. I wasn't offered that neither. So I ask again: What's the criteria to get one of these T6 free gifts from Cryptic officially? Over the years I've bought a Lifetime subscription & spent hundreds on Zen though I haven't spent any real $ since last year nor do I play STO as much anymore just for these type of reasons & I've never been offered this type of "exclusive-only-a-select-few" perks. & secondly, what harm is there in offering this type of "come back & play" offer if that is what it is again just reworded but to everyone those that you want to entice back & to those that do play? Maybe Cryptic's criteria for getting these gifts is never showing any dissent in how they operate. I can only speculate since they never give an official reason. Oh well good fortune for those that got offered, yet another free T6 ship, & for us others Cryptic just doesn't like & appreciate us I guess LOL.
  • Options
    i8myhelli8myhell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

Neither am I appearently... and I was trying sooo hard.... :'(:*

I didn't get offered anything. I'm conflicted because I was offered the Andromeda back when, but no T6 Defiant :-(

cem3212 wrote: »
    Yeah the last time Cryptic did this they gifted "certain" players that Andromeda ship. I wasn't offered that neither. So I ask again: What's the criteria to get one of these T6 free gifts from Cryptic officially? Over the years I've bought a Lifetime subscription & spent hundreds on Zen though I haven't spent any real $ since last year nor do I play STO as much anymore just for these type of reasons & I've never been offered this type of "exclusive-only-a-select-few" perks. & secondly, what harm is there in offering this type of "come back & play" offer if that is what it is again just reworded but to everyone those that you want to entice back & to those that do play? Maybe Cryptic's criteria for getting these gifts is never showing any dissent in how they operate. I can only speculate since they never give an official reason. Oh well good fortune for those that got offered, yet another free T6 ship, & for us others Cryptic just doesn't like & appreciate us I guess LOL.

I agree, what harm is there in offering it to all.

• Options
    zilchiqzilchiq Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is it sent to our email? Just available in the Promotions in the game? I seemed to have been excluded this time too.
  • Options
    tjaparatjapara Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I always figured I don't get offered these type of amazing deals because I'm free to play. I'll check my email again & cross my fingers though.
  • Options
    incessant1incessant1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Nothing so far :-(
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I received a veteran reward also when I logged in last night. That's a nice touch. Looking forward to the next round of ships and hoping for a T6 K'tinga and/or Vor'cha to be in the mix soon.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    baktun01baktun01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is it ingame or through email we have to check. As of yesterday notta for me :-( so not worthy I suppose.
  • Options
    moazogotlmoazogotl Member Posts: 1 New User
    So in the span of a few weeks some players have been offered free 2 out of 3 Defiants. Dang, I've never spent real money on STO but if that had happened to me it would be tempting to finish off & buy the 3rd LOL. Going to check email & log back in to see LOL but as it was stated earlier since I'm free to play I doubt Cryptic cares.
  • Options
    baktunhorizonbaktunhorizon Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > Free T6 Defiant?! Already have one, but, erm, isn't it kinda the Bizarro World to reward ppl who *don't* play, and ignore your loyal customers?! LOL.

> @cem3212 said:
    > Yeah the last time Cryptic did this they gifted "certain" players that Andromeda ship. I wasn't offered that neither. So I ask again: What's the criteria to get one of these T6 free gifts from Cryptic officially? Over the years I've bought a Lifetime subscription & spent hundreds on Zen though I haven't spent any real $ since last year nor do I play STO as much anymore just for these type of reasons & I've never been offered this type of "exclusive-only-a-select-few" perks. & secondly, what harm is there in offering this type of "come back & play" offer if that is what it is again just reworded but to everyone those that you want to entice back & to those that do play? Maybe Cryptic's criteria for getting these gifts is never showing any dissent in how they operate. I can only speculate since they never give an official reason. Oh well good fortune for those that got offered, yet another free T6 ship, & for us others Cryptic just doesn't like & appreciate us I guess LOL.
  • Options
    oneiric1oneiric1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Well I do not have any highest level players.
    I usually only play during events nowadays.
    I do not have a Lifetime subscription.
    I have never spent real money on STO.
    I can confirm these are all possible reasons Cryptic did not send me the free ship. :-)
  • Options
    omadhaunomadhaun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Bummer, I took the free gift offered to everyone about the T4 ship. If I had been offered the T6 too that definitely would've been a temptation for the T5 version. Alas, I was not one of those selected beloved players. Oh well, good for those offered. Sucks for us left out by Cryptic.
  • Options
    vigia0vigia0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was one of the few lucky ones offered that Andromeda last year. Apparently between that time & this time I pissed in Cryptic's Cheerios. :-( S0 far, no offer for the T6 Defiant. Drats!
  • Options
    henotichenotic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Nothing, zilch, notta, goose egg, zero. But wasn't expecting anything either. Why is it they offer this to some but not all knowing with social media the info. will spread?
  • Options
    cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Rubbish, I concede, Cryptic does this because they can when there is no reason to discriminate they can & will. Way to offer, but only to a select "special" few, the cheery on top of an anniversary event.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    According to a Community Moderator on the German forums this was given out to players who were inactive for long period of time. This does not mean that you still had to be inactive when the pack was given out. The pack included:

- T6 Valiant class
    - a XP boost to get your highest level char from lvl 50 to 60
    - a stack of 6th annniversary prize vouchers
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I guess it's official now and you can put it in your signature.

Remember this is Cryptic/ PWE were talking about, all they care about is the metrics and getting people to log in, why bother with players who already log in when they can give incentives to people who dont play to log in.

Its crazy but this is the cryptic/PWE way of things.
    It's not crazy at all.

You understand the concept of advertisement, right? The advertisements are not made for people already buying a product. They are made to get people to buy the product that don't buy the product.

And you know advertisement is a billion dollar business - a lot of money is spend on people that don't buy the product, instead of spending it to the benefit of the "loyal" customer.

Cryptic's advertisement has the big advantage that it costs them less, the less effective it is. A person turned loyal customer with a good advertisement campaign is more likely to get something out of a free ship, and this is a ship he will definitely not spend money on anymore, since he already has it.
    Someone that doesn't get back into the game despite the ad would never have bought the item in the first place, so no sales are lost.
    Basically, Cryptic can hardly lose here.

All the rest of the money, Cryptic already spends on its "loyal customers", by releasing new content, new systems, bugfixes, and offering stuff that can be attained in game without costing the player anything.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Those of us that log in and play apparently aren't considered 'elite.' :)

I understand why stuff like this is done, I just wish it didn't have to be this way. It does kind of suck a little watching people get rewarded for their 'loyalty' when that loyalty was demonstrated by not playing the game.

Still, it's fine.. I got free stuff for being here, I guess it balances out. Would just be nice if occasionally they threw out 'loyalty' rewards to players who have actually played. It's not the end of the world, I'm not going to get all worked up about it. I do hope it works and gets some people back into the game.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    kylethetruekylethetrue Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Aww man. I want a free t6 defiant.
    "Thou shalt respect the weak and shalt constitute thyself defender of them."
    -3rd Commmandment of Chivalry
    FAWhard_zpsssqnai1l.jpg
  • Options
    tabkey83tabkey83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    A group of us had recently gotten back into the game with the 6th anni and all that. Everyone but myself got the promo e-mail. Slightly dissapointed, but I guess if it's only to certain players.. meh.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Wow. As someone who bought the T4 and T6 Defiants last year in anticipation for the set, hearing they're giving them away is.....disappointing. And as someone who has logged in nearly everyday for two years......yeah disappointing.

But its an excellent ship, its a good reward.....er eh prize. Im happy for you.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    So, here is the thing: there is nothing wrong with a company giving free stuff to get former players to come back.

However(and this is key): it seems some *current*/*regular* players are getting this, while others are not:
    I am a regular player, on both of my accounts (been playing weekly for the past year)

I got the mail on both accounts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/448bi5/this_was_a_nice_and_unexpected_gift/czobine

So, again. While it is completely fine for Cryptic to offer free stuff to try to get former players to come back, they should not be treating some current players differently than others.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg