What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    If I'm reading this right, the Voth "in the sphere" aren't necessarily the same Voth seen on Voyager. Those Voth, while quite capable of defending themselves, weren't particularly militaristic. It stands to reason that there's more than one Voth City Ship, perhaps with some major ideological differences between groups?

Same Voth, but why are these Voth in the Sphere? Stay tuned to find out ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It stands to reason that there's more than one Voth City Ship, perhaps with some major ideological differences between groups?

And thus the arguments about whether it should be the Cardassians, Liberated Borg, or Voth as the next faction...
    Same Voth, but why are these Voth in the Sphere? Stay tuned to find out ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

...or not.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Seriously? We're going Jurassic Park in space now? Come on.......................

Link: New The Voth Advertising
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    as deep as a sheet of paper...

I don't understand what this means.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This looks really interesting. I'm waiting to see the story behind all of this. My characters will have fun taking them out. I'm sure my Klingon will love sinking his Bat'leth into one as well.

Will there be a special Voth to join your crew? That would be neat to have one running around on your ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Seriously? We're going Jurassic Park in space now? Come on.......................
    Okay, i'll bite. How would you handle Voth pets?
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cyborg dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. This sounds like the sort of silliness TOS would have done if you built a time machine and gave them a modern effects department.

This could either be the most awesome thing in the game or just comically out of place. If it's as good as the Elachi humanoid/drone split, I hope you reduce the tailor fees, because I'm going to need new pants every time I fight one of those T. rex cyborgs.
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now I seem to remember that the Voth, were not enemies of the federation... I sort of remember the episode.

Another thing, I never once saw a T-REX in army battle gear, and I was hoping you would not baby the game down to what looks like a 5 year olds idea of a game.

Its been done for doctor who, which is fine, but dont do the same thing here, kind of ruins the whole Trek thing. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    Now I seem to remember that the Voth, were not enemies of the federation... I sort of remember the episode.

Another thing, I never once saw a T-REX in army battle gear, and I was hoping you would not baby the game down to what looks like a 5 year olds idea of a game.

Its been done for doctor who, which is fine, but dont do the same thing here, kind of ruins the whole Trek thing. :mad:

They were enemies of anyone who held beliefs against the Doctrine, and Janeway found evidence in favor of Distant Origin Theory compelling, possibly conclusive. That made her their enemy, and if the rest of the Federation finds that evidence compelling as well, that makes us their enemy, too.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    My concern is... judging from these Shots...

The Voth did evolve but not others? And after Millions of years, did they kept them from evolving at all (Those Dinosaucers / Battlesaurs)?
    That's not how evolution works. Evolution is a result of environmental pressure on a population. No environmental pressure, no reason for certain mutations to thrive over others, thus slower/halted evolution.
  • Options
    kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cyborg dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. This sounds like the sort of silliness TOS would have done if you built a time machine and gave them a modern effects department.

I could see this being an episode of Voyager..........wait.:eek:
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am rather hoping that I can face these laser armed T-rex's and Mech suited Voth while safely seated in my Fighter - somehow it wouldn't seem right to face them with a small phaser pistol!

Of course if we can also get to pilot said battle suits that is another matter altogether.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thorodal wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...
    I think "Star Trek: Online" 'jumped the shark' and 'nuked the fridge' all at once.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »

Not sure how this is childish at all, I'm 22 and I think this is bloody awesome.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    [...]Those Voth, while quite capable of defending themselves, weren't particularly militaristic.[...]

And you can judge that from... all the six (?) we've seen, of which 2 were stated to be scientist and at least one government official, in addition to two ships and the fact that they 'napped the Voyager and were willing to destroy the Ship and "imprison" the crew?

I admire your enthusiasm... but your conclusion is based on incomplete data...
    They could be very militaristic for all we know, they simply didn't show it because the humans and the Voyager were so horrifically inferior.

It would be like saying that Humanity is not militaristic judged on how we do not whip out a machinegun to get rid of a mosquito...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Not sure how this is childish at all, I'm 22 and I think this is bloody awesome.
    32 year old here. You're damned right it's awesome.
  • Options
    chaosmrxchaosmrx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah come on, lots of other sci-fi series have done dinosaurs in space. Its kind of like a requirement for every sci-fi thing now. Starwars has them, and Dr Who has them too. Why not Star Trek?

Also for the reason why they havent evolved, well maybe they did! do you know what actual dinosaurs looked like back then? No one does! Apparently according to scientist now they had feathers, so who knows? Maybe these ones evolved to not have feathers. So then they DID evolved!

You enjoy things more when you aproach them with an open mind, if you want something to remain static just as it was, it will just become unfun eventually. things gotta evolve, so long as they dont end up being enterprice. That was just awful.
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why am I getting a "Mass Effect" vibe from those screenshots (costumes)

I dunno about the costumes, but I'm getting a strong Exo Squad feel from the mech suits. Which is good.

As for the T-Rex... I can't stop giggling long enough to collect my thoughts. This is going to be tons of fun. Guess I'd better add some Chrono Trigger to my combat playlist.
    Relax.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    a whole group of dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!

I have got to get me one of these!!! Seriously, can you guys give us these as a new combat pet? Pretty please? I"ll buy you all a beer. I don't even mind paying Zen for it.. I WANT ONE!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I kind of agree with some people. Even though the design work looks great, I think it also turns "Star Trek Online" into a Saturday morning cartoon.

I think the age level of this game just dropped.
  • Options
    ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    32 year old here. You're damned right it's awesome.

To be honest, a lot of childish things are bloody awesome, so this might not be the best way to determine if it's childish or not. <.<

That being said, a lot of people accuse Star Trek of being childish to begin with and Trekies have a long history leashed out against anything that they feel might reinforce that stereotype, so yeah, we can expect some angry forum comments to that.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Because they?re antagonists and we wanted to make sure they looked like something that needed to be fought, we made sure to add a few toothy looking knife points into the costume designs."

Yeeah. That didn't work.

I want one.

Preferably as a playable species.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Why even want to label something 'childish'? It makes no sense. Whoever likes it, likes it. It shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    WoW those armoured suits in the 3rd picture look sooooo cool.

I'm wondering if you guys were up to deploy a way for players to be able to acquire those walkers, making them customisable with looks and equipment (armour/ shields/ weapons/power engine), and possible to play on some missions, or on most places and challenges.

would be cool to have some cheap accessible versions, besides some more uncommon, rare and very rave suits, obtainable from missions, store, fleet assets and C-Store

like CaptainGeko, said, " ... this is a game. Let's have some fun!" and you are having such a magnificent work with those things, it sounds too good to pass out the chance of enabling players to have some fun with those things.

keep the good work :)
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    With every update there is less and less star trek in this game. Maybe you should think about changing the name, to avoid customer confusion.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm totally down with dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

With so many games these days trying to be "dark", "edgy", and "realistic", I think that we've lost a good deal of the "awesome factor" that many of the old games used to have. This, however, brings back that awesome factor for me while mixing it with an IP that I love. I mean think about it, we're about to jump into our spaceships and travel to the other side of the quadrant and fight space dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams on their heads inside of a Dyson Sphere. THAT is the awesome factor that so many games miss these days.

Also that T-Rex is giving me some old school Turok 64 vibes. And I love that. That game totally had the awesome factor.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Even though the design work looks great, I think its also turns "Star Trek Online" into a Saturday morning cartoon.

I agree to some extent, but that just seems to be the way Star Trek in general is going. They want Star Trek to be more main stream which is why all the movie are just big action set pieces now with no subtext. I don't think most casual fans would blink twice at laser-dinos in the next Star Trek movie. I can't really get upset at it anymore and just try to enjoy these things for what they are.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bonus points to all the people who think dinosaurs is too much of a stretch even though we already have:

two kinds of Lizard people
    Alien zombie cyborg hivemind
    Viking Samurai with an affinity for u-boat tactics in space, their cloned messiah, and the demonic forces of their folklore
    The Roswell Aliens
    Evil Crystals
    Time travelling interdimensional bugs from Hell
    Space pirates
    The Predator
    Aliens that act like ghosts and are vulnerable to the gun from Ghostbusters
    Bizzaro-us

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
    What is essentially a diamond pinecone that destroys entire fleets isn't a problem, but god forbid cybernetic tyrannosaurs.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Soo.. starcraft protoss come to sto.. nice. :rolleyes:
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E