Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Deliberately. Color-coding something black is weaksauce.

Well, what do you want. The post interface is nerfed into the ground. What, was font sizing giving the players 10000 Dil a pop?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how They came up with the Four Hour CD...

It only lasts and Hour and doesn't come up but once about every Fifteen Hours...

:confused:

Magic 8 Ball -- the usual solution !
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    Well, what do you want. The post interface is nerfed into the ground. What, was font sizing giving the players 10000 Dil a pop?

This is the language of Shakespeare, sir. If we cannot communicate our intent without fonts, color codes and emoticons, the fault lies not in the interface, but in ourselves.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So it's our fault it got nerfed?

Because i'm not a native english speaker. My english teachers were Rambo and Luke Skywalker. And i'll bet you anything, at least Luke would pop a few different colors.

EDIT: Also, Batman
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all i dont feel i am being punished i support the patch and closing exploits and there have been other peopel in this thread that support the patch to so they are not "punishing the whole player base"

Secondly they are closing an exploit IMO that does not mean they are "punishing" people

As for your compromise

[sarcasm] ok guys we have herd you and we are not only going to revert it but the reward is going to be 100 mil a sector now.

or better yet we are announcing that once a day when you log on you will be granted the max amount of EC as a login bonus [/sarcasm]

Thirdly Yes i know i am repeating my self but so is everyone else soo... *shrugs"

Basically you are making the same point as the another poster soo this is also something to consider

Basically you are making the same point as the above poster soo this is also something to consider

Dude...either you are the most negative person on the planet for shutting down any ideas your way or you deserve a promo for working with DEVs incognito :D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since not everyone ran the Tour, it seems logically impossible to punish the entire player base by reducing the rewards. In fact, since it's a closed economy, everyone who didn't run the Tour got a net benefit out of the change.

I don't know about that (everyone else getting a benefit).

It's not like vendor prices on commodities and items are miraculously dropping and I predict it's going to be a long while before we see any effect on the Exchange, if ever.

What it does is close a loophole that a relatively small number of players was able to take advantage of and therefore prevent anyone else from profiting from it in the future.

But I agree on one point: it's not really a punishment. It just is.

Something can be a disappointment or a frustration or a tough break, but that doesn't make it a punishment. Nobody was scolded for it, they didn't take away the nice things people bought with the extra EC, nobody's getting banned, and I highly doubt that a gaggle of cackling devs gathered together in a room and plotted to make players unhappy.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

It's not like vendor prices on commodities and items are miraculously dropping and I predict it's going to be a long while before we see any effect on the Exchange, if ever.

Well, even if the prices on the Exchange remain stable, I'd argue that they won't go up as fast as they were under the previous, inflationary environment.

If you weren't milking the Tour for EC, I think that even a reduction in inflation is a significant benefit.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dude...either you are the most negative person on the planet for shutting down any ideas your way or you deserve a promo for working with DEVs incognito :D

I don't agree that i am negative . I am just looking at it from a different point of view as how is it supposed to work if you are actually playing the game normally. I simply don't agree with other posters .

Alot people in this thread simply look at simply as how much ec can they can make per hour .

I think my overexaggerated sarcasm statements are simply a mirror what people are ranting about when they say that they refuse to do the tour now because "they don't make enough doing it once and properly" so its not worth their time because they cant exploit the system to make an amount they feel is acceptable.

My POV is basically the same as this statement
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Huh? You can still get EC from earning it in game. You just can't get it AS FAST. There is a difference. It is now in line with other means of earning EC.

Seriously, quitting over this? To each his own I guess.

Others are complaining t hat cryptic is making it to hard to play the game without buying zen or subscribing which is Crypics right they are running a business not a charity.

Look at COH a very popular game the was game was not losing money but it wasn't making as much as they they wanted so they shut it down . At the end of the day cryptic/PWE could do the same at some point .
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was at ESD when the players there realized this situation. Since I had not had the chance to run the Tour, then I was surprised it could be done more than once anyway.

So I see it as closing a loophole. Punishment is relative: I have not run the Tour so I don't know the value of a single run. Now that I will never know what its like to run it more than once in a single sitting, then its not a punishment to me. It's just a change to something I have yet to experience. I've been doing fine without it so far, so I won't miss anything.

Maybe I'm lucky ...
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sure, they could stop giving rewards for completing each sector block and wait until you turn in the mission. But that would cause problems for people who don't start the event on time and can't finish.

So, if you show up late and manage to get a partial run in (without finishing), you end up with 50k-300k EC's, which would be your relative penalty for not getting there in time to finish if rewards were paid on completion. The current "fix" instead penalizes folks that show up on time by limiting them to a single run, for a total of 350k, rather than 3-4 runs, for a total of 1.05m-1.4m. Is this really a better "fix" for the short course "exploit"?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, if you show up late and manage to get a partial run in (without finishing), you end up with 50k-300k EC's, which would be your relative penalty for not getting there in time to finish if rewards were paid on completion. The current "fix" instead penalizes folks that show up on time by limiting them to a single run, for a total of 350k, rather than 3-4 runs, for a total of 1.05m-1.4m. Is this really a better "fix" for the short course "exploit"?
    You need to keep in mind that when the Tour was designed the game was different. Sector speed movement hadn't been increased, Transwarp hadn't been increased, there weren't as many options for warp cores and going faster in sector space. Doffs that boost and/or decrease cooldowns weren't in the game. The simple truth is that people today can do the tour quicker then they could at launch because Cryptic was making changes to traveling speeds and not making the Tour longer to compensate.

Not only was the Tour granting enormous ECs - several times more then any other way to earn ECs in 1 hour - but the changes to the game over the last 18 months had even inadvertently made it even easier to earn EC.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So the logical conclusion was to make it all useless. Great move.

Ok, so maybe not ALL useless, but really? I mean, i don't know how you get your billions, and i'm not a spiteful enough dude to even remotely hope they'll ever nerf that, but this was hammering down on the the game's middle class, while the billionaire crowd just keeps afloat no problem.

Maybe i'm just not enough of a wall street mind to understand that. To me, it's all just gluttony from the execs (yes, i say the execs, not the devs; i don't attack the devs).
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So the logical conclusion was to make it all useless. Great move.

Ok, so maybe not ALL useless, but really? I mean, i don't know how you get your billions, and i'm not a spiteful enough dude to even remotely hope they'll ever nerf that, but this was hammering down on the the game's middle class, while the billionaire crowd just keeps afloat no problem.

Maybe i'm just not enough of a wall street mind to understand that. To me, it's all just gluttony from the execs (yes, i say the execs, not the devs; i don't attack the devs).
    Decreasing Exchange inflation has the opposite effect. It makes rewards from every avenue of the game useful rather then you either Tour or you fall behind the EC curve.

This isn't about making the rich richer. The rich are already rich - they spent years getting rich. This is about putting less ECs into the system every day and slowly reversing the sky-high prices on the Exchange.

You don't need to make more ECs to buy things. The more ECs you make the higher the price goes. It's standard inflationary cause and effect. You need to reverse inflation so that you can buy the same things for less EC - the EC you can earn from doing any mission, not just the Tour.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The stopping inflation thing is yet to be seen. Like, at all.

And as for spending years getting rich. I guess you could have spent all 3 of them, sure, but i tend to doubt it took that long.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It took 18 months for the inflation to get this bad. The tour has only been changed a week. :)
    And as for spending years getting rich. I guess you could have spent all 3 of them, sure, but i tend to doubt it took that long.
    3.5 years is a long time in game terms. And yes, I started with 1 EC just like everyone else back on that cold day in February. And since I don't buy Keys - I've only ever purchased 20 in the last 18 months - I've never had the opportunity to win a grand Lockbox ship I could sell for 400 million, so yeah, I've had to earn it all just playing.

I'll also point out that you can never catch up to a billionaire just by doing the Tour. Why? Because that billionaire is also doing the Tour. So last Wednesday you went from 50 million to 51 million ECs after Touring I went from 1 billion to 1 billion and 1 million ECs. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It took 18 months for the inflation to get this bad. The tour has only been changed a week. :)

All fine + dandy, but i haven't once gotten into the "Exchange will Crash" bandwagon over this, i'm pretty sure you can guess my attitude toward the "This will save the Economy" one.

When i said "yet to be seen", that's exactly what i meant.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    All fine + dandy, but i haven't once gotten into the "Exchange will Crash" bandwagon over this, i'm pretty sure you can guess my attitude toward the "This will save the Economy" one.
    No one's looking to save the economy. People are mostly just looking for a long-term plan that will make it possible for people who don't tour and don't have multi-millions to go and buy things on the Exchange. Something much close to the pre-FTP/pre-Tour era. :)
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

It helps to think of EC in terms of 'purchasing power' rather than on 'quantity'. It doesn't matter how much EC you have. What really matters is how much you can buy with what you have. The two may seem like the same, but they are not. What inflation does is take away your purchasing power. Over time, you need more and more EC to buy the same amount of goods. In other words, in an inflationary environment, each EC you have becomes worth 'less' over time. What STO needs now is some deflation. Subjectively, this doesn't 'feel good'. It always feels better to get more of something. But if prices comes down on the exchange, then you will actually be able to buy more things as goods become more 'affordable'.
    edited July 2013

When i said "yet to be seen", that's exactly what i meant.

The Exchange isn't going to crash. Just because the Tour income has been reduced, that doesn't mean that everyone's EC has disappeared.

In fact, it's quite possible that the existing sources of EC still outstrip the sinks, in which case the only change would be that inflation has slowed. It could easily take months to see the effect.

However, it's nearly certain that there will be some effect long-term. Cryptic didn't change this because they woke up grumpy, they did it because their metrics told them to.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In fact, it's quite possible that the existing sources of EC still outstrip the sinks, in which case the only change would be that inflation has slowed. It could easily take months to see the effect.

I agree here. I never do the tour, and yet my net EC balance across all my toons still seems to be increasing. This is despite contributing to starbase projects and doing personal reputation projects. I usually just vendor my drops. Occasionally, I'll get a drop that is worth something on the exchange, and I'll post it, but most of the stuff is just vendored.
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    No one's looking to save the economy. People are mostly just looking for a long-term plan that will make it possible for people who don't tour and don't have multi-millions to go and buy things on the Exchange. Something much close to the pre-FTP/pre-Tour era. :)

Well, may it work. I' not nearly spiteful enough to hope it doesn't, and that's not my beef anyhow, if i have one.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna play all superior and say the nerf didn't bum me out, but i got over it pretty quick. What stuck (and damn, i really feel like we're going in circles) was the monkey-brained approach they went with. First with the overkill cooldown, then with the "oops, we forgot to include it in the notes thing".

The dumbest whiner in this whole thread is not nearly dumb enough to buy that one if he was on drugs. Yeah, i get doing public relations in a forum for years can be tiring, and i guess Brandon might be some kinda volunteer, and this isn't his actual job, but from the moment you decide to post any kind of answer, post a friggin real one, not some kinda politically correct dismissive middle-finger.

I seriously felt dumber by association.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    It helps to think of EC in terms of 'purchasing power' rather than on 'quantity'. It doesn't matter how much EC you have. What really matters is how much you can buy with what you have. The two may seem like the same, but they are not. What inflation does is take away your purchasing power. Over time, you need more and more EC to buy the same amount of goods. In other words, in an inflationary environment, each EC you have becomes worth 'less' over time. What STO needs now is some deflation. Subjectively, this doesn't 'feel good'. It always feels better to get more of something. But if prices comes down on the exchange, then you will actually be able to buy more things as goods become more 'affordable'.

That only is if the price of goods goes down with the reduced incomes...

Earlier poster in thread said it took like 18 months for the economy to "inflate" this badly. I'd venture to say that Tour the Universe alone isn't the cause for this, I remember when I first started TtU was only good for 1.5-2 mil per hour...

Still, the lack of reports from Dev-land make us wonder a bit, was the "exploit" those pulling the "short route", abusing Tuffli-cell/DOffing transwarps, or just acquiring the super-fast starships? I mean, since the exploit is closed, it "shouldn't" hurt to announce what was going on that can't occur anymore...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh and btw, cosmic, but who cares about "catching up" to the rich players? If they're gonna be richer than me, i could honestly care less. Of all things to treat as a competition, that one's just numbing.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eugenesys wrote: »
    WOW

Cryptic included a STEALTH NERF in the patch

Tour the Galaxy now has a 4 hour cooldown upon acceptance.

Way to Go......
    Since 'Tour the Universe' shows up every twelve hours, I do not see why a four hour cool down is a problem. Unless Cryptic has plans to increase 'Tour's' availability, I do not see why anyone would have a problem.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh and btw, cosmic, but who cares about "catching up" to the rich players? If they're gonna be richer than me, i could honestly care less. Of all things to treat as a competition, that one's just numbing.

There will always be some kid that stays home all day that can play his brains out and make more, but I agree there is more to it than having the most EC.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    My overall point was that the more ECs you make the more expensive things cost: the 5 million EC BOFF today is going to cost 6 million a few months from now due to more currency being in the system - and eventually get to 7 or 8 million over time. Thus the mega-rich are always going to be well ahead of you. You're never going to get caught up and feel secure in the amount of EC you have because if you don't take steps to reverse the trends inflation will keep growing. Eventually it will even outpace the Tour's massive gains.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013

What it does is close a loophole that a relatively small number of players was able to take advantage of and therefore prevent anyone else from profiting from it in the future.

But I agree on one point: it's not really a punishment. It just is.

Something can be a disappointment or a frustration or a tough break, but that doesn't make it a punishment. Nobody was scolded for it, they didn't take away the nice things people bought with the extra EC, nobody's getting banned, and I highly doubt that a gaggle of cackling devs gathered together in a room and plotted to make players unhappy.

The very last part we will never know, but a form of punishment it is. To put it in terms the tour was treated like any other mission, they can be picked up and dropped with a rinse repeat, so for it to be considered an exploit is a joke. Now for those who relied on the tour for a steady and easy source of EC's will search for a way to make up for that loss by probably inflating anything they can sell for more EC's. How it affects Cryptic is less people having to invest in a EC cap increase and even possibly less key sales for those who may possibly lose out on their previous profit prices. It's kinda like having a stock market broker telling you after years of earning 10%, that from here on in you will only make 1% with no increase EVER!!! Now you can find other means to make up for your losses by inflating your sale items, or you can take what they are doing to you and bend over for them and take it where the sun don't shine your choice.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Exchange isn't going to crash. Just because the Tour income has been reduced, that doesn't mean that everyone's EC has disappeared.

However, it's nearly certain that there will be some effect long-term. Cryptic didn't change this because they woke up grumpy, they did it because their metrics told them too.
    Reducing the availability of energy credits will put a pinch on players; thus, people will feel a sense of urgency to buy zen. People will feel a need to sell C-Store items, so they can obtain enough energy credits for fleetbase, embassy, dilithium mine, and reputation system resources.

As a result of reducing the flow of energy credits, the prices in the exchange will astronomically incease. C-Store items being sold on the exchange will become more expensive. Lockbox keys will adjust upward from 1,500,000 to 2,500,000 ec. If you think about this logically, the energy credits nerfing will bring value to C-Store items.

Speculation: Eventhough 'Legacy of Romulous' was a public relations success, the question people should be asking is, "Was the expansion an economical success?". If Cryptic is putting the pinch on certain resources, I can only assume that there is a revenue problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You know, eventually, those sales are gonna time out and drop. Sellers are gonna have to repost their items, if they want to, and then, they'll either keep their selling prices, or they won't. It takes what, a few days for that to happen? Pretty sure, we'll have something to go on as a trend by then.

Oh and by the way devs, nice job nerfing the max amount of exchange items from 40 to 19. That was just lovely.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Reducing the availability of energy credits will put a pinch on players; thus, people will feel a sense of urgency to buy zen. People will feel a need to sell C-Store items, so they can obtain enough energy credits for fleetbase, embassy, dilithium mine, and reputation system resources.

As a result of reducing the flow of energy credits, the prices in the exchange will astronomically incease. C-Store items being sold on the exchange will become more expensive. Lockbox keys will adjust upward from 1,500,000 to 2,500,000 ec. If you think about this logically, the energy credits nerfing will bring value to C-Store items.

Speculation: Eventhough 'Legacy of Romulous' was

Yes this speculation sounds about right, the problem is will people be able to afford those higher prices? Overall all they did is cause a monkey wrench effect in EC's value. After all Cryptic EC's is monopoly money or funny money and with the purpose of having an EC cap increase available makes it a point to earn billions of those EC's, but by putting limits to mission earnings only makes that point out of reach for many. Earning a million or two from a tour run doesn't hurt anything, it's only play money and people earning that much get a sense of accomplishment that they are become richer with funny money, as for the exchange prices become over inflated.....well like anything that involves any money it is a player driven market that as always changes for the good and for the bad at any given moment just like the dilithium market. All you managed to accomplish with the nerf is a bunch of pissed off players nothing more....
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

This discussion has been closed.