test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• el1mel1m Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xparr15 wrote: »
    Too late. Any feasible ec sink would either be negligible to rich players or unachievable to new players. Theres no easy way to fix inflation without giving the average players the really short end of the stick.

EC Sinks do exist though. Buying items for star-base projects even from a tuffli can cost millions of EC. There is EC paid for transwarp for the lazy, I spend 18k on transwarp every time I go to do my rich dilithium claim unless it happens to be within the event.

Personal reputation costs EC to complete, not quite as much as Starbase reputation but it can still make a dent
  • eddymeatmceddymeatmc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm not one of the best players in the game, a student so spare cash is not there to blow on new ships and the like but I made sure what I had could do Tour properly 3 times in the hour and with not getting much time to play, I always tried to come on during that event, so it's a great shame to see it altered.
    I'd agree with one other post, change the cool-down to 15min to allow people time to do it properly.
    I'll still be playing though, no other star trek game like it :)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Have we received any explanation as to why they cant simply force you to complete it in its' entirety before handing?

Sure, they could stop giving rewards for completing each sector block and wait until you turn in the mission. But that would cause problems for people who don't start the event on time and can't finish.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Sure, they could stop giving rewards for completing each sector block and wait until you turn in the mission. But that would cause problems for people who don't start the event on time and can't finish.

This isn't a problem for any other mission on the calendar. Since they got rid of the point to do this fast, why not drop the race period and make it like any other mission? You have to start it during the event, but can finish it afterwards.

Mind,I don't like that idea, but if they keep the nerf, might as well go whole hog.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Frak the four sector "strategy/exploit" bs for a minute. What about those that could legitimately run the Tour 2 or 3 times an hour. You're running the whole tour like intended so why should those people be penalized as well. Of course this is all based on the alleged intent of "closing an exploit"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Frak the four sector "strategy/exploit" bs for a minute. What about those that could legitimately run the Tour 2 or 3 times an hour. You're running the whole tour like intended so why should those people be penalized as well. Of course this is all based on the alleged intent of "closing an exploit"

its possible that could also have been something that they were trying fix as a well.

Perhaps the intent was that it only be run once . Possible reasons for that would be

1 it makes sense since they pay per sector .

2 they may only want people to be able to make X EC total in that event .

3 It also falls in line with other events take the mining event you can only do that once they may be trying to do the same thing with the t tour .
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't expect any major price changes .
    Lockbox ships will continue to be 100 Mil a pop .
    It has been that way , it will continue to be that way .
    Only the way to get the EC needed for that coveted item will change , and Cryptic may make a few bucks as a result .
    Those who say that prices will drop delude themselves . :o

My 2 cents .
  • sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eddymeatmc wrote: »
    I'm not one of the best players in the game, a student so spare cash is not there to blow on new ships and the like but I made sure what I had could do Tour properly 3 times in the hour and with not getting much time to play, I always tried to come on during that event, so it's a great shame to see it altered.
    I'd agree with one other post, change the cool-down to 15min to allow people time to do it properly.

I will say it yet again - I can do a full tour in 8 minutes, so a 15 minute cd is no good. As I explained earlier in the thread a 5 minute cd is all that is needed to stop the exploit and not punish legitimate runners.
    edited July 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    I will say it yet again - I can do a full tour in 8 minutes, so a 15 minute cd is no good. As I explained earlier in the thread a 5 minute cd is all that is needed to stop the exploit and not punish legitimate runners.

Basically you are making the same point as the above poster soo this is also something to consider
    its possible that could also have been something that they were trying fix as a well.

Perhaps the intent was that it only be run once . Possible reasons for that would be

3 It also falls in line with other events take the mining event you can only do that once they may be trying to do the same thing with the t tour .
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm curious as to how They came up with the Four Hour CD...

It only lasts and Hour and doesn't come up but once about every Fifteen Hours...

:confused:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited July 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

It only lasts and Hour and doesn't come up but once about every Fifteen Hours...

I am more curious why are people fixating on this ?????

.... it makes no difference if they made it a one hour cooldown or 4 hour cool down as you said the even only comes up every 15 hours
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2013

.... it makes no difference if they made it a one hour cooldown or 4 hour cool down as you said the even only comes up every 15 hours

I have a Fixation Disease, OK.

Sorry if my curiosity about Their reasoning offends you...

Suk it up. :P

Be nice if They added a Second Event Schedule (with a different order) to run alongside the current one...

That way there would be more options for players to take part in different events throughout the multiple player-base time-zones.

(it would also give reason for there to be longer CDs for 'problem' events.)

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • epsilons232epsilons232 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yep, another sign that this is a mind TRIBBLE from some dev and not a well though through and analysed idea.
    edited July 2013
    I have a Fixation Disease, OK.

Sorry if my curiosity about Their reasoning offends you...

Suk it up. :P

:cool:

well ok then :P .. sorry if my curiosity about people's curiosity about Their reasoning offends you... Suk it up as well :P lol
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eddymeatmc wrote: »

I agree...why punish the whole playerbase by a 4hr cool down. Can the Devs agree to meet us half way and entertain either a 15 min cooldown from finish or a countdown timer for the event (similar to Risa-15 mins each)? Most of us are able to do 4 complete runs in 1hr without using dropping any zones (so called exploits)

Another suggestion (probably the most sensible) would be to only award mission reward after completing ALL zones and disable the ability to skip zones or don't reward if someone skips a zone. This is so much better than adding an all across 4hr cooldown cycle which makes no sense still
    DUwNP.gif

edited July 2013
    I agree...why punish the whole playerbase by a 4hr cool down. Can the Devs agree to meet us half way and entertain either a 15 min cooldown from finish or a countdown timer for the event (similar to Risa-15 mins each)? Most of us are able to do 4 complete runs in 1hr without using dropping any zones (so called exploits)

Another suggestion (probably the most sensible) would be to only award mission reward after completing ALL zones and disable the ability to skip zones or don't reward if someone skips a zone. This is so much better than adding an all across 4hr cooldown cycle which makes no sense still

First of all i dont feel i am being punished i support the patch and closing exploits and there have been other peopel in this thread that support the patch to so they are not "punishing the whole player base"

Secondly they are closing an exploit IMO that does not mean they are "punishing" people

As for your compromise

[sarcasm] ok guys we have herd you and we are not only going to revert it but the reward is going to be 100 mil a sector now.

or better yet we are announcing that once a day when you log on you will be granted the max amount of EC as a login bonus [/sarcasm]

Thirdly Yes i know i am repeating my self but so is everyone else soo... *shrugs"

Basically you are making the same point as the another poster soo this is also something to consider

Basically you are making the same point as the above poster soo this is also something to consider

• eddymeatmceddymeatmc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Wasn't aware it could be done that fast!
    edited July 2013

The only reason a 4 hour cooldown seems to make sense is if they're planning on changing the event so you can run it whenever you want but limit how many times a day you can actually run it.

Since this doesn't seem likely, why 4 hours? Why not 1, or 12? Even if they did plan on making the event run more often, a 4 hour cooldown is probably shorter than they'd want.

As it stands now, once the event is over the mission is automatically dropped and you can't complete it anyway. So anything that limits you to running the Tour once during the event, or about once per day, is all that's necessary.

It's just a little perplexing that they would choose a 4 hour cooldown, that's all. Leaves people wondering if there's something else behind that.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only reason a 4 hour cooldown seems to make sense is if they're planning on changing the event so you can run it whenever you want but limit how many times a day you can actually run it.

Since this doesn't seem likely, why 4 hours? Why not 1, or 12? Even if they did plan on making the event run more often, a 4 hour cooldown is probably shorter than they'd want.

As it stands now, once the event is over the mission is automatically dropped and you can't complete it anyway. So anything that limits you to running the Tour once during the event, or about once per day, is all that's necessary.

It's just a little perplexing that they would choose a 4 hour cooldown, that's all. Leaves people wondering if there's something else behind that.
    If I were to hazard a wild guess it's probably because when the event was first programmed someone put the tag for the 4-hour cooldown into the programming - we don't know how many different connotations Events went through before they decided on what went life. It probably came down to an issue of simply activating the existing tag rather then needing to recode/retag the event.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You know, maybe it's just a social experiment.

Oh, and i maintain that they are punishing the entire player base. Some people here are just into punishment, is all. What do you call that, cyberchism?

joke
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    Oh, and i maintain that they are punishing the entire player base. Some people here are just into punishment, is all. What do you call that, cyberchism?

Since not everyone ran the Tour, it seems logically impossible to punish the entire player base by reducing the rewards. In fact, since it's a closed economy, everyone who didn't run the Tour got a net benefit out of the change.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited July 2013
    i don't think you quoted the whole thing, sir
    edited July 2013
    i don't think you quoted the whole thing, sir

Deliberately. Color-coding something black is weaksauce.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Deliberately. Color-coding something black is weaksauce.

Well, what do you want. The post interface is nerfed into the ground. What, was font sizing giving the players 10000 Dil a pop?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Magic 8 Ball -- the usual solution !
    edited July 2013
    Well, what do you want. The post interface is nerfed into the ground. What, was font sizing giving the players 10000 Dil a pop?

This is the language of Shakespeare, sir. If we cannot communicate our intent without fonts, color codes and emoticons, the fault lies not in the interface, but in ourselves.
    edited July 2013
    So it's our fault it got nerfed?

Because i'm not a native english speaker. My english teachers were Rambo and Luke Skywalker. And i'll bet you anything, at least Luke would pop a few different colors.

EDIT: Also, Batman
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all i dont feel i am being punished i support the patch and closing exploits and there have been other peopel in this thread that support the patch to so they are not "punishing the whole player base"

Secondly they are closing an exploit IMO that does not mean they are "punishing" people

As for your compromise

[sarcasm] ok guys we have herd you and we are not only going to revert it but the reward is going to be 100 mil a sector now.

or better yet we are announcing that once a day when you log on you will be granted the max amount of EC as a login bonus [/sarcasm]

Thirdly Yes i know i am repeating my self but so is everyone else soo... *shrugs"

Basically you are making the same point as the another poster soo this is also something to consider

Dude...either you are the most negative person on the planet for shutting down any ideas your way or you deserve a promo for working with DEVs incognito :D
    DUwNP.gif

edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Since not everyone ran the Tour, it seems logically impossible to punish the entire player base by reducing the rewards. In fact, since it's a closed economy, everyone who didn't run the Tour got a net benefit out of the change.

I don't know about that (everyone else getting a benefit).

It's not like vendor prices on commodities and items are miraculously dropping and I predict it's going to be a long while before we see any effect on the Exchange, if ever.

What it does is close a loophole that a relatively small number of players was able to take advantage of and therefore prevent anyone else from profiting from it in the future.

But I agree on one point: it's not really a punishment. It just is.

Something can be a disappointment or a frustration or a tough break, but that doesn't make it a punishment. Nobody was scolded for it, they didn't take away the nice things people bought with the extra EC, nobody's getting banned, and I highly doubt that a gaggle of cackling devs gathered together in a room and plotted to make players unhappy.
    edited July 2013
    I don't know about that (everyone else getting a benefit).

It's not like vendor prices on commodities and items are miraculously dropping and I predict it's going to be a long while before we see any effect on the Exchange, if ever.

Well, even if the prices on the Exchange remain stable, I'd argue that they won't go up as fast as they were under the previous, inflationary environment.

If you weren't milking the Tour for EC, I think that even a reduction in inflation is a significant benefit.
This discussion has been closed.