What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2013
    maybe they intented a 4 or 14 or 40 minute cooldown but messed up...please fix it:(
    sneyeper wrote: »
    That's right. I just ran Tour the Universe and got a 4 hour cooldown.

Didn't notice anything in patch notes.

Seriously ... of all the things to nerf!
  • Options
    eugenesyseugenesys Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I tried runing the tours after the patch
    Ran 3 sessions of it before giving up. There is no competition , no jostling for space, no clogged upspace highways. It felt lonely.

Post patch tour has definitely lost its allure
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2013
    Why not add a 15 minute cool down, instead of a 4 hour one? I mean there were legitimate ways to do four runs in an hour, using Borg engines and QSD running the full route you could do it four times... I don't see the need for this 4 hour cool down, it's just going to p*ss off a lot of players.

15 minutes would stop the people who were doing one or two blocks then dropping it, but still allow the people who were not cheating to do it more than once. I enjoyed my little hour long tour through sector space, listening to music, setting up DOFF missions.

Though to be fair, the people who were cheating through it probably also have a lot of alts, so this isn't even going to affect them. It's only really going to hurt the people who were doing it legitimately.

my thoughts exactly
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Am going to play devils advocate and say what is wrong with exploiting the tour universe for ECs ? Who really cares about that, its not breaking the game or anything is it? I mean Cryptic's own patches do that instead lol. I find it hilarious how Cryptic decided to ruin everyone's fun by being the biggest buzz kills.

Seriously Cryptic why do you care at all if everyone is having fun doing it the way they were before you decided to suck all the easiness out of the room?

Viva La Exploits :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How's that playing devil's advocate?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    How's that playing devil's advocate?

Because the primary reason why they nerfed it was because apparently exploiting it was considered bad by some players and Cryptic :). Am simply saying why does it matter at all since its not doing any harm not to me or anyone else as far as am aware lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And the primary reason this thread was made is people are very angry about the nerf, and the sneaky underhanded way the developers went about doing it. From this side of the camp, i'd say you're advocating for the home team.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And the primary reason this thread was made is people are very angry about it, and the sneaky underhanded way the developers went about doing it. From this side of the camp, i'd say you're advocating for the home team.

I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way lol like I said Viva La Exploits more Ecs in the economy means better profit margins on items :) plus the dream of being rich like me is not a dream that seems out of reach to many but instead is attainable :D. At least exploits like this one make it bearable :P. Cryptic is suffering from a bad case of nerfitis, they should change the name to Star Trek Nerf Online
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way lol like I said Viva La Exploits more Ecs in the economy means better profit margins on items :) plus the dream of being rich like me is not a dream that seems out of reach to many but instead is attainable :D. At least exploits like this one make it bearable :P. Cryptic is suffering from a bad case of nerfitis, they should change the name to Star Trek Nerf Online

Might want to look up the term inflation
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Might want to look up the term inflation

Thanks I already know what that means thank you :) however inflation doesn't affect this Ec since it doesn't have a base value that depends on market forces acting on it like supply and demand :cool:
  • Options
    maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Jeez, if this hits you that hard, then I question your ability to make any in-game money at all, because you're obviously incapable of thinking of anything but one thing. I NEVER did this thing, and I make a decent amount of money, each day. Granted, I also limit my spending, as in, I don't buy stuff I don't think I'll see much use out of, but occasionally, I do buy specialty items that cost.
    So overall, I hardly think putting a cooldown on this ONE event, screws anyone over, except those that are limited in thinking & ability.

I question your ability in math AT ALL.

Let's recap:

- Tour the Galaxy Official Route: 1.4 million EC for ONE hour of playtime.

That was 4 laps/hour at 350K each.

- Tour the Galaxy Short ("exploit") Route: 2.8-3 miliion EC for ONE hour of playtime.

That was 12-14 laps/hour at 200K each.

Please name ONE instance in the entire game where you can put those same numbers in the same amount of playtime and come back to me.

If its a Foundry loot grinder, I'd like to know the name of the mission.

Remember: 1.4 million EC minimum in one hour. Let's hear it.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    You know, i'd have accepted the inflation argument, had it come from them.

It's not like they don't have a case for doing what they did, if not so much in the way they did it. There's a lot of back and forth on whether this would fix whatever problem there was, would it make it better, worse, whatever. Had they tried to defend their actions, which, logically, aren't that hard to defend, i'm pretty sure many of us would have grudgingly accepted it while ago.

But all we got from the developers was "oops". And not even an elaborate Oops, oh no, we get a sidenote - at best, then no discourse, no attempt to address the crowd, nothing.

And why? Because they don't have to. And they know it.

All this bile and flame that's going on around here is no more than dust. They don't have to lift a damn finger, because there's no possible bite whatsoever to any of this bark and bickering.

Only possible bite the players can ever have is with their wallets, but that i don't have any right to call for, being f2p, and all, and even if i did, i don't honestly think i'd try to influence people like that.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks I already know what that means thank you :) however inflation doesn't affect this Ec since it doesn't have a base value that depends on market forces acting on it like supply and demand :cool:
    No. It doesn't sound like you understand what inflation is. For reference, dictionary definition (Webster's Collegiate, 10th ed):
    Inflation: an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods and services resulting in a continuing rise in the general price level.
    In STO economy, the volume of EC (ie the money) is continuously rising through gameplay. All the loot that is obtained via gameplay and sold to NPC vendors creates new EC. EC is also created through Tour the Universe, PVP, doff assignments, etc. Without something to balance this out, the general price level on the exchange will continue to rise. In MMO's, the balancing forces are known as 'sinks'. Note that the exchange is NOT a sink. When you buy something from the exchange, the EC does not disappear. Instead, it is transferred to another player, who can then use the EC to buy something else. What are the EC sinks in STO? The reputation system and starbase projects are the main ones. When you buy 1000 shield generators from the NPC vendor at ESD or if you replicate them, those EC are literally gone/disappeared.

The devs keep track of the amount of EC (and dilithium) that is in the game. When it gets too high, they either add more sinks, or they decrease the things that create EC. In this case, they decreased the creation of EC. Doesn't matter whether it's called an exploit or not. They wanted to decrease the total EC in the game, and this is how they did it this time.
    I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way lol like I said Viva La Exploits more Ecs in the economy means better profit margins on items :)

More ECs in the economy only means better 'nominal' profit margins. Your purchasing power is actually degraded by the inflation. It's easy to believe you are making more profit because the numbers seem bigger. But it doesn't do you any good if everything on the exchange costs a lot more too.
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So far below the standard for everywhere else, right? I must have been playing in the wrong part of this game all along, cause it seems i've been missing quite the party.
    Not my point, I was simply offering a rebuttal to the statement that there was more to the event than just flying around to get as much EC as you can in the time alloted. there is a little bit more, but not much.
    And the primary reason this thread was made is people are very angry about the nerf, and the sneaky underhanded way the developers went about doing it. From this side of the camp, i'd say you're advocating for the home team.
    No.... a FEW people are angry about it. And truthfully.... aside from getting left out of the patch notes, this nerf was business as usual.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i Already answered your point here ....

I will also speak about your point on advertising free to play. If i want to advertise game that is FTP but with heavy restrictions and you decide to play it you cant then complain that I am "tricking" you into paying because of said restrictions .

As long as you can access the game and have partial and /or basic fuctionality it still can be considered ftp.

... and you made my entire point you you expect to play for free and stay competitive .....shakes head.......wow....the sense of entitlement is amazing but that part is not restricted to ftp its actually worse with paying players who think they make the decisions on what a company can or cant do.

My policy if i don't like what a company is doing I leave.. and I am saying that as a lts. If i choose to stay then i am choosing to accept the company's path. This is not the only game i play.

I'm quite sure Cryptic knows what they believe to be best for them, and your ideas don't matter. A lot of MMO's that started out as Subs only quickly turned to a F2P system because the small amount of paid players weren't enough to keep the company afloat for very long. And to say that F2P should have heavy restrictions was already used by many MMO's only for them to later get rid of a lot of the restrictions because it didn't help to encourage new player sales any by having it there, so for you to say this game was and is better off being a Sub only or carry heavy restrictions on F2P player's is not what Cryptic and other MMO companies believe is best for their business. Please let the game be what it is and stick to the OP subject instead off putting your own 2 cents in where it doesn't belong.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Not my point, I was simply offering a rebuttal to the statement that there was more to the event than just flying around to get as much EC as you can in the time alloted. there is a little bit more, but not much.No.... a FEW people are angry about it. And truthfully.... aside from getting left out of the patch notes, this nerf was business as usual.

Not much by whose standards?

And no, a lot. Not a few. You can go the "oh, but this is just a small sample of the player base" route, but these are the people that spoke up. You can assume the people staying quiet agree with you if you like, but that doesn't make it anywhere near so. Of the members of the community expressing themselves, a lot more are angry than not, so unless you wanna go hit up the playerbase and gather statistics, this is the sample you can draw from without speculating. And the sample says a lot of people are angry, not a few.

Oh, and by the way, i was there during the first time the Tour event ran, after the patch. The chat window was awash with dismay and indignation for the short time i hung around.
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm quite sure Cryptic knows what they believe to be best for them, and your ideas don't matter. A lot of MMO's that started out as Subs only quickly turned to a F2P system because the small amount of paid players weren't enough to keep the company afloat for very long. And to say that F2P should have heavy restrictions was already used by many MMO's only for them to later get rid of a lot of the restrictions because it didn't help to encourage new player sales any by having it there, so for you to say this game was and is better off being a Sub only or carry heavy restrictions on F2P player's is not what Cryptic and other MMO companies believe is best for their business. Please let the game be what it is and stick to the OP subject instead off putting your own 2 cents in where it doesn't belong.

All i am going to say is read my responses on this topic. the rest is not worth my time with comments like you opinions don't matter and cryptic knows what best and your two scents don't belong .. .tells me you couldn't come up with anything to say but still wanted to blow hot air .

TW Who exactly are you to say where my opinion belong? are you even a paying player?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    All i am going to say is read my responses on this topic.

. BTW Who exactly are you to say where my opinion belong? are you even a paying player?

Does it matter really, not that I nor anyone should need answer it!!!!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Does it matter really, not that I nor anyone should need answer it!!!!

I am A lifetime subscriber and proud of it .....why are you so defensive about your standing?

Yet you seem to think its ok to rant off like you did say my opinions don't matter and so on and so forth so yea it does. if you haven't put any money into this game i can see why you would be objected to my suggestions and again will advise you to read my other posts as to my opinion on that . :)
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am A lifetime subscriber and proud of it .....why are you so defensive about your standing?

Yet you seem to think its ok to rant off like you did say my opinions don't matter and so on and so forth so yea it does. if you haven't put any money into this game i can see why you would be objected to my suggestions and again will advise you to read my other posts as to my opinion on that . :)
    You don't even see how prejudice your statements are. Take this sentence (are you even a paying player?) and substitute any race, religion, ethnic group, or sexual orientation for "paying" and ask yourself if it sounds prejudice.

Are you even a white player?
    Are you even a straight player?
    Are you even a male player?
    Are you even a Christian player?

See how prejudice that sounds when you change paying to any other group? It doesn't matter what group someone is.

I know you're fairly new to the game and the bloom hasn't fallen off the rose yet, but don't judge a book by its cover or a player based on what you think you know.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You don't even see how prejudice your statements are. Take this sentence (are you even a paying player?) and substitute any race, religion, ethnic group, or sexual orientation for "paying" and ask yourself if it sounds prejudice.

See how prejudice that sounds when you change paying to any other group? It doesn't matter what group someone is.

I know you're fairly new to the game and the bloom hasn't fallen off the rose yet, but don't judge a book by its cover.

OMG it is nothing like that the fact tyou even compared it to that is hilarious.

Thier post was openly hostile and rude . It was a valid question I asked and i made my point anyways without their answer . that being if they are a free player that is the reason they object to my pov don't want me to give my opinion.

this has nothing to do with me being a new player .
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it was a valid question and i made my point anyways without their answer . that being if they are a free player that is the reason they don't want me to give my opinion.
    The point is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your prejudice toward free players has blinded you. You think I'm a free player because I would refuse to answer your prejudice sounding question too?

I bought an LTS to CO just to get into STO's closed beta: $200.00
    I bought a pre-order LTS to STO before launch: $240.00
    I bought the Collector's Edition box set and 4 other box sets to get bonus items: $280.00
    That was over $700.00 spent even before the game launched. I spent over a year buying every C-Store item they sold - probably around $500.00 more - before the game went FTP.

I haven't spent any money on the game in the last 1.5 years. Am I a "parasite" because the game now allows me to play for free? I'm sure I've spent more then you have - as has many others. But in the end it doesn't matter how much anyone spends. It's their business, not yours.

You really need to get over yourself.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The point is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your prejudice toward free players has blinded you. You think I'm a free player because I would refuse to answer your prejudice sounding question too?

I bought an LTS to CO just to get into STO's closed beta: $200.00
    I bought a pre-order LTS to STO before launch: $240.00
    I bought the Collector's Edition box set and 4 other box sets to get bonus items: $280.00
    That was over $700.00 spent even before the game launched. I spent over a year buying every C-Store item they sold - probably around $500.00 more - before the game went FTP.

I haven't spent any money on the game in the last 1.5 years. Am I a "parasite" because the game now allows me to play for free? I'm sure I've spent more then you have.

You really need to get over yourself.

Omg relax!

First of all you just jumped into a conversation that i was having with someone else .

2nd If what you say is true NO your not a parasite you have gone over and above anything expected.

You can not spend another cent ever and still there is no way you are even close to falling into the category of what I consider a free player .

If you have read any of my posts at all. I was referring to people who make it their mission not to spend money as another poster in this thread said something to the effect if i can do it all for free that's what i am going to do.

And also the other poster who complained that as a free player they couldn't be competitive without spending money.

Its the non pay people who think they are entitled to everything someone who spends money is

Its the ones who moan and complain about PTW and expect to have everything simply by grinding for it .

That is who i am talking about .

So watch where you throw accusations .
  • Options
    majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    beep beep im a parasite.
  • Options
    raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The word "exploit" is exploited far too often by game developers to mask their own incompetence - as if players are somehow in the wrong for making the game's currencies too efficiently or even in thinking in ways that do so. It is the nature of games like this that players utilize in-game functions to be maximally efficient. Good players do just that.

Meanwhile I see no nerfs being applied to control the dps-orientation of the game. Indeed, with the nerfing of the Tour, a major reason to build a ship based on speed is now gone. I guess dps wins the day yet again. Very Star trek to think only in terms of damage, damage, damage and more damage. Nothing but damage. This is Star Trek to you?

Not to mention the harm done to those who invested in ships built for speed, and their interfaces built for the Tour. For these people, who are only doing what players do, this bonehead move by Cryptic is nothing short of arbitrary victimization. Punishment for thinking in ways players are supposed to think. Where are the free respec tokens for players who, in good faith, invested in driver coil, a now useless skill.

And to those who say that the Tour was little or no effort, I got news for you, sunshine. Everything you do in this game, EVERYTHING, is key presses and/or mouse clicks (or the equivalent for other controllers). The Tour was just as labour-intensive as any combat and required time and attention. In my own version, it was constant effort except for about 40 seconds when crossing Eta Eridani. And don't even try to hide behind the idea of risk in a game where ship destruction is met with an immediate, or near immediate, respawn button.

As for the Tour being an "exploit," you game devs ever hear of play testing? You do have a test server, do you not? Tribble, isn't it? Do you even think about what's going to happen *before* you introduce game elements? Maybe you need to hire people who can "tiger team" your content before it is introduced. Of course, this would apply to new content, not to content that has already been live for, what?, two years or more? Don't try to tell us you had no idea how the Tour was being used all that time. It's just that up until very recently, that, quite rightly, met with your approval. Now, suddenly, it's an "exploit."

The only ones being exploited here are the player who are playing the game to the best of their abilities...
  • Options
    shomrimshomrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I logged in today for the Tour the Universe run, not to play but to see how many are still running this. I saw a lot fewer people giving it a shot than on a normal run. I will not be running it anymore. Already stripped my ship of its high speed equipment. Just want to thank the Crypt Keepers for ruining a fun part of the game. Way to go guys. Way to go.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    shomrim wrote: »
    I logged in today for the Tour the Universe run, not to play but to see how many are still running this. I saw a lot fewer people giving it a shot than on a normal run. I will not be running it anymore. Already stripped my ship of its high speed equipment. Just want to thank the Crypt Keepers for ruining a fun part of the game. Way to go guys. Way to go.

Yep same here a complete waist of my time now that I can only run it once for a weak 350k, real weak on Cryptic's end to add some dumb timer, 4hrs. really the event doesn't even come around in 4 hr. intervals.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What a... downright disgusting mindset for someone who enjoys a "Star Trek" game :D Talking about a two class society. You stated that people who do not pay to play - a free to play game as it is advertised - have no right to even voice their opinion while paying players are entitled to take a elitist stance and shine above all the other players, even backpaddling as you discover that you insulted one of those "better" members of society.

Many many players around here have paid for this game long before the transition. Many of us bought multiple retail versions of it (yes, a box and discs, even a Starfleet silver pin) and subscribed to play. But we payed for a vastly different game as opposed to the mindless grinder it is now. STO is not worth anymore money since the transition in my opinion. But I still play the characters I created back then and I even buy C-store items from time to time via in-game means. I won't pay another cent on this game ever again. But this doesn't mean I and many others have to take such elitist insults because you are "proud" because you paid a lot of money for a F2P grinder. I really hope that this is not the only source of self-esteem you bring along. F2P players who only use in-game means do exactly what this game advertises them to do. It's working as intended. Period. Nobody's above or below anyone.

The essence of this thread, however, is that Cryptic now wants to sell us their "tour patch" as fixing an "exploit" - after TWO YEARS. The tour worked exactly as it was designed - if they'd just be honest and told us that they don't wish for non-paying players to have easy sources on EC anymore it'd be fine but they don't. We get that PR nonsense everytime some bitter nerfs or additions to the game are being made ("we developed a new launcher - just for YOU!"). Next thing is probably limiting player's capability in exchange transactions per day so they sort out "merchants" that buy and sell in order to make a profit :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Whooopty do on being a LTS, want a freaking cookie you sound like some stuck up snob IMO. Are you one of those who think because you spend money you are better than those who don't? Do you believe you should be offered better service when shopping at a store than someone who is simply window shopping atm? Are you one of those who prefers to pay for access to a beach, or for parking? How many MMO's do you know of that keeps in business by running Subs alone? To come on here and say a remark about anyone no matter who they might be regarding F2P is simply being biased, after all just because you have a LTS instead of a gold sub you think your $200-300 earns you special look at me privileges. Those non paying suckers as you so like to put helps keep dilithium and ec's flowing in the game ever think about that? Just because you paid for a LTS entitles you to nothing but the same entitlement everyone gets, that is to play the game until it ends. You own nothing and never will, you just simply paid for an expensive lease is all!!! Enjoy

• Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Are you even an Angry Player?
    Are you even a black player?
    Are you even a male player....wait, what?
This discussion has been closed.