test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    There's one way you can force that to happen: Don't buy from the exchange until prices crash. Exchange price gougers think like manipulators; they claim they regulate their price according to supply and demand. You really want to test if it's true? You can call their bluff. Don't buy anything from the exchange and see if prices drop. My intuition is that they'll sooner trash their items in rage than sell for less or hoard them until they can sell for top bullion again. Regardless, if you want to convert the exchange from a seller's market to a buyer's market, regular players need to think like manipulists as well.

Of course the price would drop... because DEMAND drops... hence Supply and Demand.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only nerves that are going to get hit will belong to the people that get themselves suspended/banned for acting stupid on the forums.

The Mods aren't PWE or Cryptic employees. They are our fellow players who have volunteered their personal time to enforce the forum rules.

its dose not matter who the mods are its about getting our tour back in place the way it was and if it means we have to to whine and moan for a 100+ pages so be it and who will they ban? me? for what saying im upset with the way this matter has been handled as is most of our online community well thats fine but ive not done anything to warrant that
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    As long as you aren't violating any of the forum rules you are free to express your opinion.

The people that will get their threads/posts moderated, locked, deleted, suspended, or banned will be the ones who can't follow the rules when expressing themselves.

well thats a given but im unsure why you picked my post to quote? i was just giving a thumbs up for trying get a petition up so we can show our support NOT for posting the email from the mods i think you may have miss quote me there
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    well thats a given but im unsure why you picked my post to quote? i was just giving a thumbs up for trying get a petition up so we can show our support NOT for posting the email from the mods i think you may have miss quote me there
    You seemed to believe he was making a difference: that Cryptic had noticed him. The point was his tread wasn't hitting any nerves. Cryptic couldn't care less about what he posted on the forum. His thread was closed because he broke a forum rule, not because he riled Cryptic with what he was saying.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You seemed to believe he was making a difference: that Cryptic had noticed him. The point was his tread wasn't hitting any nerves. Cryptic couldn't care less about what he posted on the forum. His thread was closed because he broke a forum rule, not because he riled Cryptic with what he was saying.

well thats fine but i still think he had a good idea to see just how many would sign it and try to make thats difference im very sorry for trying to hold some hope that the tour will be put back to how it was

(ill go sit in time out now ive had a telling off :( )
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    well thats fine but i still think he had a good idea to see just how many would sign it and try to make thats difference im very sorry for trying to hold some hope that the tour will be put back to how it was

(ill go sit in time out now ive had a telling off :( )
    As was said above, you can try and make all the difference you want. Just don't break any rules while doing it and all is good. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Devs do in fact listen to player's opinions and sometimes implement our suggestions. Case in point: Risan mail. There originally was no mail ability on Risa special event, a fact that had many players raise their eyebrows. In the last 48 hours mail was added in. A great addition that shows Devs can listen and act upon the good suggestion of many player's opinions. I'm going to thank them right now.
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The spam warning was likely for making another thread about the same thing.

Now, looking at this logically, even though this thread might be meaningless, it does have some significance.

Namely, while it's true that the this is a minuscule portion of the player base, it is also unrealistic to expect the whole 100K or 200K players to be vocal participants about anything. Now, unfortunately, i couldn't find any kind of member count or roster in this forum, though admittedly, i'm new, but i'm sure some of you out there will be able to make an educated guess as to how big this thread is compared to the norm.

Whatever the case, any manifestation of a large group of people - at least the way i see it, doesn't usually represent them and them alone. If four thousand people gather on public square to protest raised taxes, and the country has a hundred thousand, it's pretty naive to think that the other 996K think the new taxes are gravy, just because they didn't show up. What that manifestation provides is a sample of the whole.

Now, applying it here, and as i said before, i truly believe the influence this here thread has over anyone in a decision making position is zero. At best, it may be statistic, if that.

It does, however, show people are unhappy. Enough so that some players (like yours truly) jacked up their post count on it alone, meaning that out of every matter that passes through these boards, this was the one they finally cared enough to talk about.

Now, out there are all kinds of players, those 100 or 200K, and they all have their own opinions on this. I know how during that first nerfed tour, all the chat box read was about the nerf. They may not have a voice they're inclined to raise, but what they do have are wallets.

Now, maybe they'll speak with them, maybe they won't, and even if they do, like it has been said, worse nerfs have happened and nothing seems to have changed. Or maybe a lot of players did already quit, like many always do, but there's always that inflow of new blood that keeps the game going.

Either way, though, i do believe in some sort of common awareness among the crowd, and that thing can't be ignored, threatened, suspended or banned. It can, however, be inflamed, which is my feeling it has been steadily becoming. I mean, look at me: i've been here for a couple months at most, and i already get from a while back the impression that there's this big stonewall between the players and the developers that didn't use to be there at all just a few years prior.

So yeah, while i think the execs care nothing about this little get-together we got going here, this sort of thing does serve it's purpose, and is by no means without consequence or influence. Just don't be surprised you take longer to see results than doing the rep system fifty times over.

TRIBBLE, i almost deleted this thing outright after i saw how big it got. Sorry about that.
    edited July 2013
    As was said above, you can try and make all the difference you want. Just don't break any rules while doing it and all is good. :)

im not trying or going to break any rule im just trying to help and get our voices and points of view across if they sit up and listen well its a start if not well then were just have to do our best to carry on but if we do nothing and say nothing then they will be more likely to use us as door matts in the future as do as they dam well please and if thats the case then being a gold member will have no value to anyone on here me included if your voice has no echo and money is there only goal and not the online commuity
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Seriously, 62 pages of this? You do better in less time running pew pew Foundry missions and maxing out your daily Foundry loot cap. And it's a lot less tedious. Also, it was an exploit. We all knew it was an exploit. Just as doubling up the B'Tran dilithium was an exploit, and the old quickie Investigate Officer Reports missions were an exploit. Cryptic finally decided to put the smack down on it, and now we feel entitled? Just accept that the ride is over and move on.

Also, removing an EC exploit has the goal of actually lowering exchange prices in the long term. You know, so you don't need millions of EC to get anything worthwhile. I think this is also part of the logic behind all the Reputation/Fleet Ultra-Rare gear. You can't sell it, and its existence devalues the regular gear, so it helps bring exchange prices in reach of the typical player. This is a good thing overall. Frankly, I hope the Exchange does crash. It needs to.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    edited July 2013
    Devs do in fact listen to player's opinions and sometimes implement our suggestions. Case in point: Risan mail. There originally was no mail ability on Risa special event, a fact that had many players raise their eyebrows. In the last 48 hours mail was added in. A great addition that shows Devs can listen and act upon the good suggestion of many player's opinions. I'm going to thank them right now.
    Adding mail to Risa isn't the same thing as making a fundamental change to the game's economy. :)
  • maximgorkiymaximgorkiy Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you got a warning about violating the forum rules, and decided to get in even more trouble by violating another forum rule.

Are you deliberately trying to get your account suspended or worse banned?

You are right! Well, i'm so sorry, that i have forget about it.... i have delete the brisant parts.....

sorry.
    PC-Info
    MB: MSI MPG X570 GP 2.0
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Mem: Samsung DDR4 -2132 8GB (x2)
    Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    System: Micrsft. Windows 10 Pro v.21H2
    edited July 2013
    Seriously, 62 pages of this?

Wanna make it 63?

EDIT: oops
  • plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rage Moar!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    Rage Moar!!!!!!

Who's raging? I thought we were all having a ball.
    edited July 2013
    Seriously, 62 pages of this? You do better in less time running pew pew Foundry missions and maxing out your daily Foundry loot cap. And it's a lot less tedious. Also, it was an exploit. We all knew it was an exploit. Just as doubling up the B'Tran dilithium was an exploit, and the old quickie Investigate Officer Reports missions were an exploit. Cryptic finally decided to put the smack down on it, and now we feel entitled? Just accept that the ride is over and move on.

Also, removing an EC exploit has the goal of actually lowering exchange prices in the long term. You know, so you don't need millions of EC to get anything worthwhile. I think this is also part of the logic behind all the Reputation/Fleet Ultra-Rare gear. You can't sell it, and its existence devalues the regular gear, so it helps bring exchange prices in reach of the typical player. This is a good thing overall. Frankly, I hope the Exchange does crash. It needs to.

i can see your trying to make a point here but being rude to people only make's them miss the point and you will just end up showing your self up
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, since Cryptic isn't going to reverse this, I would like to ask them to fix it a bit better. As it seems the intent of the Tour the Galaxy mision was to only be able to run it once a day, can they please remove this mission from the callendar and make it a standard daily mission so that those of us who have strange hours have a chance of doing it? Or whatever the cooldown is ont he calendar, just transfer that to a normal mission cooldown.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    Personally, since Cryptic isn't going to reverse this, I would like to ask them to fix it a bit better. As it seems the intent of the Tour the Galaxy mision was to only be able to run it once a day, can they please remove this mission from the callendar and make it a standard daily mission so that those of us who have strange hours have a chance of doing it? Or whatever the cooldown is ont he calendar, just transfer that to a normal mission cooldown.

I can see your suggestion as being a good solution to this...just make it same as Explore Strange New Worlds as a daily makes much more sense then only allowing players who can be on at a specific time to be able to ever do the mission. The way it is it favors only those who can login at the correct time...
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, devs do listen to feedback. But if something doesn't change, it usually means that they considered the feedback, and decided it was not in line with their goals or the overall health of the game. They have the advantage of being able to see the big picture of the STO economy. Remember when they added a dilithium cost to crafting? The rage on the these forums was FAR greater then than what is in this thread. Yet, that change stayed. I think we would do well to accept it and move on. You've voiced your opinions. If they revert it, great. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
    edited July 2013
    I can see your suggestion as being a good solution to this...just make it same as Explore Strange New Worlds as a daily makes much more sense then only allowing players who can be on at a specific time to be able to ever do the mission. The way it is it favors only those who can login at the correct time...

Of course, that'll remove the commonality of everyone getting together to do the tour. Granted, it's not much of a race when it's so much more about the gear you've invested in than actual skill, but doing the course alongside a dozen other cats was a lot of the Tour's charm.

The first solution in this thread i think was the best (second only to not having done this TRIBBLE to begin with, but i digress), make a big payout at the end, and let people make as many legitimate laps as they can.

Actually, had they done that to begin with, my reaction would've been like "huh, touche. Well played", or something of the sort. Sure, i'd still miss the EC, of course, but it would have actually come out as a smart move and not the asinine disproportionate event-destructive clusterflock that it did. And i would've gone for it too.

As it stands, it's just a mockery more than anything, like something a 12 year old would have come up with.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kblargh wrote: »

As it stands, it's just a mockery more than anything, like something a 12 year old would have come up with.

how do we know it was not a twelve year old? for all we know, Cryptic gets its "great ideas" from their employees children, or from monkeys.
    edited July 2013
    how do we know it was not a twelve year old? for all we know, Cryptic gets its "great ideas" from their employees children, or from monkeys.

Well, we can't disprove it.

In all seriousness, though, i very much doubt decisions like this are made by the developers. I mean, it ran for what, a year? Way i see it, the developers probably let it run all this time until someone from above noticed it and gave the order. That, or there was some executive meeting about wanting to make more money, and they ordered the developers to make it happen somehow.

I mean, it seems to me like one of the big ways to make EC in the game is buying keys with real money and exchanging them. Now, we can go about how the exchange prices will be affected by this and how things will go, but at a glance, i think it would have been a pretty good guess to assume the Tour was competing pretty heavily with that cash-cow.

I don't think it would have taken long at all for Jabba to jump into that wagon.
    edited July 2013
    Of course, that'll remove the commonality of everyone getting together to do the tour. Granted, it's not much of a race when it's so much more about the gear you've invested in than actual skill, but doing the course alongside a dozen other cats was a lot of the Tour's charm.

The first solution in this thread i think was the best (second only to not having done this TRIBBLE to begin with, but i digress), make a big payout at the end, and let people make as many legitimate laps as they can.

Actually, had they done that to begin with, my reaction would've been like "huh, touche. Well played", or something of the sort. Sure, i'd still miss the EC, of course, but it would have actually come out as a smart move and not the asinine disproportionate event-destructive clusterflock that it did. And i would've gone for it too.

Ok I have never done this event and in fact I never knew about it until I started to read this thread. I really do like the sound of doing it in a large group of ships, that would be a fantastic event for fleets to do together that's for sure!

I don't see how making it a daily could possibly stop large groups of ships from doing the event at the same time and at the same time only having the event for one hour per day makes it so if I work every day at that time I can never do this event. If it was a daily I could gather my group when I can be online and do it then and have the fun you are describing with the event.

Just make the event timed so when ever you start it you only have an hour to complete it or you fail...and to do that all they would need to do is have some point you have to cross in space outside of Earth Space Dock or the Klingon homeworld and once you do cross that your timer starts and you get a message on your screen Tour the Galaxy event has begun! Good luck to all contestants!
    edited July 2013
    Ok I have never done this event and in fact I never knew about it until I started to read this thread. I really do like the sound of doing it in a large group of ships, that would be a fantastic event for fleets to do together that's for sure!

I don't see how making it a daily could possibly stop large groups of ships from doing the event at the same time and at the same time only having the event for one hour per day makes it so if I work every day at that time I can never do this event. If it was a daily I could gather my group when I can be online and do it then and have the fun you are describing with the event.

Just make the event timed so when ever you start it you only have an hour to complete it or you fail...

Well, sure, but that implies you have to communicate with each and every one of them to set a time. The beauty of having it occur at a set time for everyone means everyone gathers there and then by default. People you've never met before, and whatnot, not just your group.

And it was droves at that bar when the event started, i tell you that. Probably the liveliest time for space travel.
    edited July 2013
    I mean, it ran for what, a year? Way i see it, the developers probably let it run all this time until someone from above noticed it and gave the order. That, or there was some executive meeting about wanting to make more money, and they ordered the developers to make it happen somehow.
    More importantly, it just wasn't a priority at the beginning of FTP. The Tour was just one event they created. Like many things, you create something assuming players are going to do A with it and they do B with it instead. It takes many months to see a trend develop. It's not something they implement on Monday and see it being a problem by Friday. Just like when they changed all the Dilithium yields, it came about after watching the data and seeing where the trends were going after a year.

The primary goal is to have all the content yield similar results. Playing an hour doing X should give you a similar return to playing an hour and doing Y. The Tour's return was completely out of what compared to anything else in the game - especially when it was being done in patches to gain the most bang rather then as a singular event. So like the Dilthium, it's been adjusted.
    edited July 2013
    Well, sure, but that implies you have to communicate with each and every one of them to set a time. The beauty of having it occur at a set time for everyone means everyone gathers there and then by default. People you've never met before, and whatnot, not just your group.

And it was droves at that bar when the event started, i tell you that. Probably the liveliest time for space travel.

I totally understand what you are saying and its a shame that they can not find some way to keep what you are saying intact and still accomplish what ever it is they are trying to accomplish with this change...
    edited July 2013
    The primary goal is to have all the content yield similar results. Playing an hour doing X should give you a similar return to playing an hour and doing Y. The Tour's return was completely out of what compared to anything else in the game - especially when it was being done in patches to gain the most bang rather then as a singular event. So like the Dilthium, it's been adjusted.

Well yeah, it's been adjusted out of whack and into oblivion. Don't get me wrong, i understand wanting to regulate that kind of cashflow so the game doesn't end up being "do these four sectors at this time, all the time" - which i did a lot, but their solution was... well i could think up a lot of nasty words for it, bit they've all been said before (well, almost).

Thing is, i can't understand the game design mentality that doesn't automatically expect players to immediately try to draw every possible advantage from a given element, to the very maximum extent that you can possibly do it.

Calling it an exploit is making it sound like it's our fault, or something. We did what players do. What players always do. And should i ever find any similar opportunity again, sorry to break it to anyone, but i will probably jump all over it, and feel great about it. Some people don't wanna do it, that's fine, but it won't make them any sort of better than me for it, like to think so as they might. Simply because i won't be doing anything wrong. At all.

EDIT: That's not to say i'd spend an hour filling out dilithium tax return forms or something. I have my limits.
    edited July 2013
    Thing is, i can't understand the game design mentality that doesn't automatically expect players to immediately try to draw every possible advantage from a given element, to the very maximum extent that you can possibly do it.
    Let's keep in mind that for much of FTP's development time the STO team had 20 people - 20 people who had been working a lot of hours under some very strange conditions. Even by the time FTP launched the team only had 30 people on it - though its now around 50. Things can slip through the cracks when you're under pressure to meet deadlines.
    Calling it an exploit is making it sound like it's our fault, or something.
    I think you're reading more into the word exploit then what Brandon meant. I think he was simply saying that Cryptic found it exploitable. As in giving more reward then what they originally intended it to be giving. Cryptic didn't point any fingers at anyone. They didn't take away anyone's ECs. They didn't ban anyone for doing it. Those are the things Cryptic does when they think a player is doing something wrong - such as they did with the Dilithium exploit months ago.
    edited July 2013
    Let's keep in mind that for much of FTP's development time the STO team had 20 people - 20 people who had been working a lot of hours under some very strange conditions. Even by the time FTP launched the team only had 30 people on it - though its now around 50. Things can slip through the cracks when you're under pressure to meet deadlines.

Yeah, i wasn't trying to rag on the developers, even if i may sound overly caustic about them at times. I think if there are people in this that don't deserve bile, it's them. They're the ones who do all the work, after all, and i'm pretty sure they're not gonna see a penny more for any spike in cashflow this nerf may possibly generate.

About banning players or taking away their stuff, i just don't get that. Not unless they were doing something really underhanded that i just can't see. I've heard of some scamming going on with gold-selling and whatnot, but i don't know the details.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is completely unacceptable, I'd be better off boycotting this in spacedock. Besides, doing the full tour can still be done 4 to 5 times per hour without exploiting anything just using driver coil stuff (and earn 1.5mil or so). Now you get at most 350,000.

Congratulations Cryptic, you've just made anything that boosts driver coils completely worthless! Good job! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.