What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's unfair because the exploiters weren't working overtime. To qualify as overtime they would have to spend time beyond what everyone else was required to do, and as a result gets a bonus for putting more work/effort into the project.

What the exploiters were doing is taking advantage of a loophole that allowed them to get a larger reward in less time than those that were completing the entire mission.

Cryptic was correct to put a stop to it and not announce it ahead of time.

Except even people who were completing the entire mission multiple times during the hour got that ability taken away and were labeled exploiters...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to agree with Conundrumsa. People are crying over spilled milk. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor change, but people are going nuts over it anyways.

No it is not a MINOR change, if it was minor 477 people wouldn't have posted here, it is their main source of EC, apparantly it has been "exploited" for YEARS, If there was an "exploit" in World of Warcraf where people can solo bosses with a bugged quest item, thats an exploit that would be fixed INSTANTLY, but here? No, let's let players have their fill of EC before adding sh?t to the TRIBBLE and nerfing it to hell, They don't care about newcomers anyway who will have no way to farm consistent EC to purchase what they want. (Lol gl doing foundry every day to get that 70M ship you want)

and people like you and this other idiot in this topic defend their decision, what has this nerf acomplished? A balanced exchange? Nope nothing has happened and nothing will happen, that's how MMO economy works, do you really expect the "crazy prices" will be purchasable for you now?

100% foundry will get nerfed too by the way you classify exploits.

knuhteb5 wrote: »

Your credibility just got flushed out of the air lock.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No it is not a MINOR change, if it was minor 477 people wouldn't have posted here, it is their main source of EC, apparantly it has been "exploited" for YEARS, If there was an "exploit" in World of Warcraf where people can solo bosses with a bugged quest item, thats an exploit that would be fixed INSTANTLY, but here? No, let's let players have their fill of EC before adding sh?t to the TRIBBLE and nerfing it to hell, They don't care about newcomers anyway who will have no way of consistent EC to farm what they want. (Lol gl doing foundry every day to get that 70M ship you want)

and people like you and this other idiot in this topic defend their decision, what has this nerf acomplished? A balanced exchange? Nope nothing has happened and nothing will happen, that's how MMO economy works, do you really expect the "crazy prices" will be purchasable for you now?

100% foundry will get nerfed too by the way you classify exploits.
    477 people? Look again... It's mostly the same people argueing incessantly.

As for the economy.... I'll do what I always do, if things are too expensive I won't bother buying them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow this is nuts. I was about to purchase the fleet Oddy for the extended slipstream, so I could run the tour a couple of times instead of once. Now I'm glad I didn't spend that FC.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    BTW, anyone noticed that no one has complained about ARC in the past two days?

*rabble rabble*
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...if it was minor 477 people wouldn't have posted here...

QFT... though there are even more posts now :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    BTW, anyone noticed that no one has complained about ARC in the past two days?

*rabble rabble*

Panem et circenses?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No it is not a MINOR change, if it was minor 477 people wouldn't have posted here

LOL. 477 posts does not equal 477 people. And some of these are saying 'meh', or 'no big deal'.
    edited July 2013
    And that has nothing to do with the concept of overtime which is what I was responding to.

The more appropriate comparison would be piece work, where a person is rewarded for each unit produced or action performed regardless of time.

Sure, keep ignoring the part where you repeatedly referred to the people who profited from this as exploiters...
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Yeah, they should work out those bugs. But those are different issues. They should also take further steps to reign in the inflation problem with this game's economy.

I'm afraid I'll agree to disagree at this point as we're not really going to get anywhere just throwing it back and forth. We both have different views on what is fun and different views on what is an acceptable reward, that's totally fine by me.

As for the bugs though, yes it is a different issue, I just find it funny how quick they are to 'fix' things that benefit people yet when it comes to sorting actual bugs that they released into the game it takes years. lol

And yes, something does need done about the inflation, though removing a source of income probably isn't going to help that as much as people would hope.
    Also a post on how to use the exchange would be nice for new players, because the number of players who don't realise that if they post an item at the same price as other items listed then theirs will become first in the list is staggeringly high, so we end up with item lists looking like this;

[Random item] 996 EC
    [Random item] 997 EC
    [Random item] 998 EC
    [Random item] 999 EC
    [Random item] 1000 EC

Before you say it, I do realise that some of it is about providing a more competitive price, but seriously most Exchange farmers just buy up that stuff and sell it again straight away at the higher price. So they aren't helping themselves or the economy by doing it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Next nerf: foundry mission farming.

Maybe. Just before/after that will be making the 4 hour Tour cooldown account-wide to stop those evil people swapping characters and thus getting more than 1 run per Tour. :eek:
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow this is nuts. I was about to purchase the fleet Oddy for the extended slipstream, so I could run the tour a couple of times instead of once. Now I'm glad I didn't spend that FC.

If you have the Chimera, you already have it.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Do it anyways, it's a great ship. And it doesn't cost dil or Fleet Ship modules. It's the same ship as the one given away at the second anniversary event. I've been using one of those ever since(on one of my chars it's her main ship).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

An update -- the change was unfortunately missing from Tribble and Holodeck patch notes. I've added it to yesterday's Holodeck patch notes now. We apologize that it was missing.

Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration.

EDIT: It was changed to close an exploit, but we will still consider your constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Ok. Lets be logical.

The problem was that players were cancelling the mission to reset it and be able to run their preferred routes again instead of running the through all of the sectors as intended.

Here's how you fix it, **trigger a CD of 1 hour ONLY if the player CANCELS the mission.** This would be similar (if not same) to the mechanic used to penalize players for dropping out of the STFs.

This would encourage the players to run through all the sectors assigned in the mission, and if they finished it in less than an hour, they can elect to accept the mission again during the time that the Tour is still active and can attempt to make the Tour again, if this is possible.

This would make the mission work as intended and allow the players to make multiple runs of the Tour in the that 1 hour while the it is still active.

As it is now with the 4 hour CD upon simply completing one run, the players cannot elect to make any more runs. I'm sure that Cryptic would agree that this is more severe than what was really intended.

(Sorry if something similar was already suggested. I didn't read through all the responses.)
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well... meh. 1 hour of "touring" for 3.3 mil EC tops was a bad deal from the start anyway. You can make 3 mil EC by playing the exchange for 5 minutes anyway.
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic please stand by your change, thank you.

Something that could appease players would be to remove the cooldown and nerf the reward all together.

Another thing could be to only provide a reward for completing each mission. Reduce the reward any way.
  • Options
    megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic please stand by your change, thank you.

Something that could appease players would be to remove the cooldown and nerf the reward all together.

Another thing could be to only provide a reward for completing each mission. Reduce the reward any way.

Reducing the reward will only aggravate players even further. The best option, in my opinion, would be to just undo the last patch, rework it without the Tour Nerf, and reapply the patch. Simple as that.

As for the people who are in support of the Nerf... You all know that you are alienating yourselves with your comments. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    megamanx82 wrote: »
    Reducing the reward will only aggravate players even further. The best option, in my opinion, would be to just undo the last patch, rework it without the Tour Nerf, and reapply the patch. Simple as that.

As for the people who are in support of the Nerf... You all know that you are alienating yourselves with your comments. Just saying.
    Alienating myself from who? People I never cared about anyways? I fail to see how that is a problem.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    xepthrixepthri Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So Tour the Universe has received a 4 hour cool down, and the reason given was that some members of the community abuse it. By abuse, they probably meant that some players figured out a route that involved visiting the smaller sectors blocks, dropping the mission, and restarting it for maximum earnings.

There are several issues with this cool down.
    1) Unfair to players who never exploited the short route. Yes, there are some who use the short route to earn more in one hour, but there are also a good many more that do normal complete runs. There are even some of these people who invest specially to improve their Tour speed, and aim to get things like Driver Coil, borg engines, Odyssey, etc so they can get more than one run in, maybe up to even 4? I personally encountered one player who was like 'shucks, and I only just got my Odyssey', implying he opted to buy the ship cos he had more efficient Tours in mind. It was a decent way to earn EC. But now they are punished to doing only one run per event, for an exploit they didn't even commit.. and this leads to...

2) Wasted effort, time, money on getting the equipment and skill points for faster sector space speed. This tour event has been around so long it was almost a constant, and even a gameplay feature. Some people modify their builds, or have one ship specially which they have bought, and switch to just to have faster runs. The efforts of these individuals are now rendered moot as no matter how fast they go, they can only get one run in per character in that hour. Their investment is pretty much wasted. I so far, only have one borg engine, so I haven't invested heavily in optimizing Tour runs yet, but I can imagine how those who did might feel.

3) Unfair to newer players / toons. New players will never be able to earn EC from the way Tour used to be, and they will be limited in their EC earning options. It will make it more difficult for them to get their EC wealth going... while those who have been running the tour since the game started (regardless of normal method, or exploit method), if they haven't expended all the EC earned, can enjoy their riches, and watch the poor struggle to get going. There is gonna be some rich-poor divide that is more difficult to close.

4) Other EC related issues spring up.. such as exchange prices crashing. This can be both good and bad. Good for a buyer, bad for the seller. Many of us are both. EC value is probably going to increase, so things are probably going to get 'cheapter'. For players who are rich before the nerf, they probably benefit as with the EC they had, they can buy more. Players who are poor, well, just have to struggle to even get anywhere near a rich person's ship.

5) 2 years later, then you fix it and call it an exploit.
    Honestly, I didn't play this game for all that long. I only joined earlier this year. I only discovered the perks of running Tour the Universe event about 1 month into playing (after I reached VA). But even from my very first run of Tour, I found the system quirky, 50k for a sector block? regardless of whether the sector block involved 3 loading screens (like Romulans) or 1 loading screen (Like Deferi, Undine and Borg sectors)... that already got me thinking if there was more efficient ways to run the Tour. And not surprisingly, people have found ways to do so, and been running the the short 4 sector tour the past 2 years.. earning up to 2 mil + + for that one hour.
    From the very onset, the design of tour was inviting players to figure out an 'exploit'. If you want to call it that. Why didn't you fix it earlier?
    It smells more like all this time, the devs were fine with the way it was, until some people decided to get even more money greedy, and since EC is one of the main ways F2Ps survive without using real cash, they decide to nerf Tour to cut down the supply of EC. Hopefully that will push more F2Ps to buy some ZEN, that is probably their logic.

Anyway, I suggest, that since you want to call the faster method an exploit, and you want to fix it, then you should fix Tour DIFFERENTLY.
    Not the 4 hour cooldown. Rather. make... the tour assignment either..
    1) Undroppable once accepted for that duration of the event. It must be completed before you start another run.
    2) Rewards only given at the full completion of the run, visiting all the places on the checklist, rather than 50k per sector block.
    3) Cool down only on players who drop early

I think option 2 is the most logical and should have been the way tour worked from the start.
    Also, option 2 will allow players who specially optimize their character builds for the Tour, to continue to do 2-3 tours per hour, while at the same time stopping the exploit.

If you do change it to option 2, then I know you are fixing the exploit.
    If you keep the nerf as it is, then I believe this change was much less an exploit fix, but rather just another way to try to force F2Ps to make their first real money investment in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, since you're new here, some pointers:

1) Don't start your own special snowflake thread, you're just making work for the Mods, who will merge this with the monster thread.

2) The exploit wasn't "dropping the quest", the exploit was "making more money per unit time than Cryptic wants." Yes, that's right. Even if you were running the complete rounds, you were, in Cryptic's eyes, exploiting. So they're not going to return the ability to run multiple laps, they don't want you making that much EC.
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Well, since you're new here, some pointers:

1) Don't start your own special snowflake thread, you're just making work for the Mods, who will merge this with the monster thread.

2) The exploit wasn't "dropping the quest", the exploit was "making more money per unit time than Cryptic wants." Yes, that's right. Even if you were running the complete rounds, you were, in Cryptic's eyes, exploiting. So they're not going to return the ability to run multiple laps, they don't want you making that much EC.

welcome to the forum and I +1 the above comment
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't remember too much outrage over people running shorter courses. In fact I visited several threads about how to do it, and there was no one complaining of exploits.

So with less EC being earned, how will people find a substitute method that gets an equal amount? I guess, they can just buy less stuff on the exchange, or......buy keys and sell them. Why do I have the feeling Cryptic is counting on the later.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    was posting in the wrong thread.
  • Options
    xepthrixepthri Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, if the exploit is as you say, then indeed all they want us to do is to start buying ZEN.
    Continue this way and you won't be gaining my support Cryptic, sooner or later, I am gonna up and leave.
    And while this is my first post, I have been lurking on the boards quite a bit.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lol like I mentioned before I guess this is gonna hurt their sales on EC cap increases from the store, now there is no need to get more than 10mill the way Cryptic is TRIBBLE us.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    xepthri wrote: »
    Well, if the exploit is as you say, then indeed all they want us to do is to start buying ZEN.
    Continue this way and you won't be gaining my support Cryptic, sooner or later, I am gonna up and leave.
    And while this is my first post, I have been lurking on the boards quite a bit.

if you are opposed to buying zen then really what support are you giving them in the first place?
    xepthri wrote: »
    but rather just another way to try to force F2Ps to make their first real money investment in the game.

As for this Personally i think they are way to generous with ftp players .
  • Options
    corey558corey558 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

An update -- the change was unfortunately missing from Tribble and Holodeck patch notes. I've added it to yesterday's Holodeck patch notes now. We apologize that it was missing.

Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration.

EDIT: It was changed to close an exploit, but we will still consider your constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Brandon,

You've asked for constructive feedback, so I'll try to limit my response to that.

Like many of my fellow players, I'm very upset about the nerfing of Tour the Galaxy (TTG). I know the devs don't exactly have an easy job and work hard to strike the right balance in game. Keeping that in mind, the following are appropriate questions to ask:

(1) Was the TTG event, as it was previously structured, detrimental to the in-game economy or to the players? If everyone had equal access and opportunity to the rewards that the event offered (which they did), one has to wonder who lost out.

(2) Was the TTG event, as it was previously structured, detrimental to Cryptic's bottom line? I understand that you're running a business and must keep cash flows in mind. However, I don't see the connection between Energy Credits and the items that players purchase with their real money. I don't see how Cryptic's business model was compromised by this event. If I have that wrong, I stand corrected!

(3) Would the in-game economy, the players, or Cryptic's business model be negatively affected if TTG were restored to its original structure?

If the answer to all the above questions is "No," or even a tepid "perhaps not," a reasonable argument could be made that there's no good reason NOT to restore TTG to its former structure. To the contrary, Cryptic would win the gratitude and relief of many of its most ardent and loyal customers.
  • Options
    cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corey558 wrote: »
    Brandon,

You've asked for constructive feedback, so I'll try to limit my response to that.

Like many of my fellow players, I'm very upset about the nerfing of Tour the Galaxy (TTG). I know the devs don't exactly have an easy job and work hard to strike the right balance in game. Keeping that in mind, the following are appropriate questions to ask:

(1) Was the TTG event, as it was previously structured, detrimental to the in-game economy or to the players? If everyone had equal access and opportunity to the rewards that the event offered (which they did), one has to wonder who lost out.

(2) Was the TTG event, as it was previously structured, detrimental to Cryptic's bottom line? I understand that you're running a business and must keep cash flows in mind. However, I don't see the connection between Energy Credits and the items that players purchase with their real money. I don't see how Cryptic's business model was compromised by this event. If I have that wrong, I stand corrected!

(3) Would the in-game economy, the players, or Cryptic's business model be negatively affected if TTG were restored to its original structure?

If the answer to all the above questions is "No," or even a tepid "perhaps not," a reasonable argument could be made that there's no good reason NOT to restore TTG to its former structure. To the contrary, Cryptic would win the gratitude and relief of many of its most ardent and loyal customers.

Very well put you've hit the nail right on the head I just hope they been reading all 51 pages of this and see there are more against this revamp than for it
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2013
    As a player who has never run the tour and who has gotten by with EC since release of the game. I can say that this is NOT needed by players.

Players who relied on this tour need to suck it up and adapt their play style by actually, I dunno, doing missions and getting drops...

I honestly cannot wait until prices on the exchange drop due to this change, which I hope that they will.
  • Options
    cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As a player who has never run the tour and who has gotten by with EC since release of the game. I can say that this is NOT needed by players.

Players who relied on this tour need to suck it up and adapt their play style by actually, I dunno, doing missions and getting drops...

I honestly cannot wait until prices on the exchange drop due to this change, which I hope that they will.

I think your so wrong with what you said its not always about EC people can find friends, fleet's and have a 1 on 1 race with other's as its an event that all can do as a group from level 1 to 50 the loss on the event as we all knew it is a massive upset to a lot of captain's in game and its small minded people like you who ''have never run the tour'' that think they know best well sorry but you don't run the tour then chime in
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.