Options

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Where is it stated that it isn't?

Mailboxes are for storing mail for variable durations. The duration in STO was initially chosen as indefinite. These are facts, no matter how often you pee in your sink.

I asked where is it stated that it is because people keep asking where it says that it isn't. Once again, do you need a sign on a sink in order to not pee in it? A fork isn't intended to eat soup. Do you need an instruction manual for everything or are we going to put on our big boy pants and thinking caps and start using common sense.
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We're investigating this now. Once I have more information to provide, I will pass it along here.

Please also post the most recent date you have mail from if you are experiencing this issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

same issue, mail goes back to 5/22/13 other than returned mail from the exchange which goes back further.
  • Options
    bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    navvilus wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but i don't think it's a case of only being able to access the most recent mail.

When i first logged in today, i could see all my mail. Later, most of my messages disappeared, except those that were at (or near) the top of the list at the last time i viewed them - and i'd last sorted my mail by subject, not by date sent. Most of the messages i can still see are quite old.

^This^

I am missing lots of mail I hoped to finally start being able to get rid of, but it isnt by date, my oldest mail is from October 4th 2012
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Volunteer mod". They have no inside information, so are just providing their own personal opinion (as described in their signature).

Let me make this clear: This (missing mail) is 100% not intended and is a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    any chance you could give odyssey47 a lil holiday then because he's blatantly trolling a thread about a clearly legitimate grievance and appears to have zero involvement beyond that effort on his part.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Volunteer mod". They have no inside information, so are just providing their own personal opinion (as described in their signature).

Let me make this clear: This (missing mail) is 100% not intended and is a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the unequivocal clarification, Bran!
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Appears that with this morning patch, my Mail Box, (and several of my fleet-mates) have been wiped clean...

Exchange sales notices are still coming in, and can be deleted, but everything else is gone.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    any chance you could give odyssey47 a lil holiday then because he's blatantly trolling a thread about a clearly legitimate grievance and clearly has nothing constructive or sympathetic to add to the discussion.

Actually you just committed a forum offense by calling me out by name in your post. Also, I never said that what happened wasn't a mistake, but that you're not supposed to be using mail as long term storage, and that it may even be the cause for buggy mail. You can store money under your mattress instead of a bank, but guess what happens when your home burns down. And once again, my not agreeing with others in this thread does not make me a troll. I'm sure I lost items that expired in the exchange, so I'm here representing the other side of the issue, that so many people storing all this TRIBBLE is likely a problem. So I have a legitimate grievance as well.
  • Options
    paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    any chance you could give odyssey47 a lil holiday then because he's blatantly trolling a thread about a clearly legitimate grievance and appears to have zero involvement beyond that effort on his part.

+1 I second the motion.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oldest email: May 26, 2013
    Newest email: June 20, 2013
  • Options
    flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys, we have an update on this issue for you.

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i don't think that i am missing any mail but my Mail ICON is blinking since the patch with NO new mail inside.
    so something is clearly going wrong there.

last mail i have is from 2/17/2013
    only got a bunch of BOffs banked in there (some from 2011 lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Before today's patch I had loads of Items in my mail. Ship reward boxes, purple BOffs, Doffs, Ship & Ground Items ranging from Mk 10-12, crafting material, schematics, food. Now they are all gone. Please put them all back ASAP. I've worked hard for years to accumulate those so they could be used on new characters I create. :mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Actually you just committed a forum offense by calling me out by name in your post. Also, I never said that what happened wasn't a mistake, but that you're not supposed to be using mail as long term storage, and that it may even be the cause for buggy mail. You can store money under your mattress instead of a bank, but guess what happens when your home burns down.
    oh grow up.

the "calling out by name" rule relates to in game activity (accusations of "cheating" & "exploiting" and the like) not talking about someone posting in the actual thread and making a call for moderation.

the guy can read y'know...

and you've added nothing constructive (or even sympathetic) to this threads subject AT ALL.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Once again, do you need a sign on a sink in order to not pee in it?
    If it's a sink in a video game, absolutely. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    oh grow up.

the "calling out by name" rule relates to in game activity (accusations of "cheating" & "exploiting" and the like) not talking about someone posting in the actual thread and making a call for moderation.

and the guy can read y'know...

I should grow up? I'm not the one asking a forum moderator to ban someone for stating their opinion.
  • Options
    tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.

How are you going to handle the new 100 item limit in regards to these items? I have no problem following the limit, but I had more than that in the old mail system, which I understand was grandfathered in to the new one. Are my items going to now count toward the 100 item limit? Or are they still going to be under the old, pre-limit system?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I should grow up? I'm not the one asking a forum moderator to ban someone for stating their opinion.
    all you've done since entering this thread (about an entirely legitimate grevance i might remind you) is antagonise people and policing constructive & respectful conduct is forum moderation 101.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

So people storing large amounts of items in their mail has caused a technical issue that shouldn't have happened. Interesting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    constructive, respectful conduct.

forum moderation 101.

Yeah I guess I should insult the devs in these threads like the people I'm arguing against lol
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We're investigating this now. Once I have more information to provide, I will pass it along here.

Please also post the most recent date you have mail from if you are experiencing this issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the date on mails I still have left.

Oldest 28 March 2010 8:55:02 AM
    Newest 20 June 2013 2:05:18 AM (before the patch)
    Got one newer one then that, that was sent to me after this patch.

The amount of stuff I've lost is staggering. Things that will take years to replace.
    You just have to fix this.

Ticket ID #1,808,320
  • Options
    edited June 2013

No no no, it is not just the items missing in the mails. It is the actual mails they were in as well.

*edit*

I realise that I didn't express what I meant all that well.
    What I mean is that those mails also contained important information on who sent it and for instance what they wanted crafted from the samples or what kind of tribble they wanted et.c.
  • Options
    daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have recieved duplicate returned messages from the exchange since the Rommy patch. Exact same time stamp, one empty, one with the item. If I take the item and delete that message, the other message is also deleted. In addition I had a green doff disappear on me after I tried to put it on my roster but it was full, so I closed the box, sold a couple and when I came back to the mail, the message with the doff was gone.
  • Options
    flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    tcostik wrote: »
    How are you going to handle the new 100 item limit in regards to these items? I have no problem following the limit, but I had more than that in the old mail system, which I understand was grandfathered in to the new one. Are my items going to now count toward the 100 item limit? Or are they still going to be under the old, pre-limit system?

For the fix we will be performing, the 100 item limit will not be an issue. Rest assured that all of your items will be returned and will be in your mailbox.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    all my stuff is gorn, had 200 Green duty officers and 10 breen BO for the exchange! Whats going on!
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the fix we will be performing, the 100 item limit will not be an issue. Rest assured that all of your items will be returned and will be in your mailbox.

It might be in the game best interest if the devs could actually POST some info on the mail changes so we can try to comply with the changes. So far nothing but rumor and a single twitter post is what we have to indicate ANY changes were made to the system recently.

If your going to mail back all my missing attachments, can I give you guys an alternate account to forward them to ?

Alot of us have setup mule accounts to hold our attachments till this mail system becomes stable enough to use again.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    anyway back to business...

i've lost mostly BOFFs (with rare BO powers) i think

about a dozen tops if that and they were contained in old mails pre-dating the account merging and the reactivation of this account...they are however worth a lot of EC and were part of some long term plans i had.

i only had a bout 3 to 4 mails that are now missing but they were full of BOFFs

also it seems my chars cant see each others mail any more for some reason but that might have something to do with the account merging & transition to pwl i guess as i had to change certain account details.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    It might be in the game best interest if the devs could actually POST some info on the mail changes so we can try to comply with the changes. So far nothing but rumor and a single twitter post is what we have to indicate ANY changes were made to the system recently.

Pretty much that. I'd love some official info on the recently introduced limits and unfortunate losses that can happen by using mail. All I know/think is rumor and players' tests results.

I request an official communication.

As for the current problem, I'm glad I was pretty much able to process most of my mail's contents after LoR (I had a feeling something bad might happen soon) and the few remaining mails with items thankfully remained.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    nemesischikennemesischiken Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I am not seeing many mail messages that had NO attachements, will those be recovered as well ?
    HNCNKy.jpg
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ok i can't play like that... that blinking icon is driving me crazy i click on the mail icon like every 15 seconds by reflex because its blinking... stupid reflexes... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    katoualkatoual Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Millions of EC worth of stuff gone from my mail....WTF is going on?
This discussion has been closed.