What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• Options
    katoualkatoual Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How many mails do you think that someone playing for 3 years, since day 1 would have? I can tell you, it was a lot. If you are gonna put a limit on the mail, you need to make it plain and unmistakable that players know that it is gonna happen, like put it on the launcher or some where prominent where players for sure cant miss it. I have millions in EC in my mail, or should I say I had! I quit TOR and had started putting the money that I was spending on TOR into STO each month, think that Im gonna have to rethink this. I'm pretty much gonna be so depressed about losing all my **** in the mail...I may stop playing altogether.
  • Options
    mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.

Errrrrr...... you better tell me you have a backup of the mail database and will restore the items together with the mailtext and title they belong too yes??

Getting all those items back 1by1 with some random "returned item" title will be an absolute nightmare to sort through later.

I'd generally also like to get the mail back not just the items.. even if its just text, if i didn't delete it yet, i didn't want it deleted.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mikiiy wrote: »
    Errrrrr...... you better tell me you have a backup of the mail database and will restore the items together with the mailtext and title they belong too yes??

Getting all those items back 1by1 with some random "returned item" title will be an absolute nightmare to sort through later.

I agree it's sub-optimal, but better than losing items entirely.

Sometimes you have to be content with half a loaf.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    I'm not trolling because I'm pointing out that you're complaining that using something in a way not intended has now bit you in the butt. It doesn't have to be a rule as long as you have common sense. I also never said that it was an exploit or anything, just saying you can't complain about losing items if you don't have them in a proper storage space. They sell expanded bank space for a reason.

not enough to keep some said stuff, it also would have been nice for cryptic to warn that they were going to do this so some of us could have prepared as it is I am slowly selling stuff out of my mail so I can free up space but now that kinda impossible
  • Options
    leod198leod198 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As i can see i am not the only one missing e-mails.
    As many of you i am a Gold subscriber. In the matrix http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix it stated, that Gold Accounts have unlimited e-mail. As every e-mails have capability of attachments, this means, that we have an unlimited number of attachments as well. I do not see how this is an exploit? How come rules was changed without explanation? If it was changed , can new rules be posted somewhere, so we all can see it?
    Thank you
    ticket ID #1,808,636.
    Most of items missing before 5/21/13
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We're investigating this now. Once I have more information to provide, I will pass it along here.

Please also post the most recent date you have mail from if you are experiencing this issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

everything before LoR is gone, I am slowly going thru the items I saved while leveling my romulans so I can use the mail for originally what I was using it for and that was transferring "stuff" between my fleets.
  • Options
    amphil28amphil28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guys, the devs already officially said this is a bug. Stop arguing over it. MMO programming is a pain in the neck that most of us will never understand. As much as I, as an engineering student and programming novice, like to joke about the weird bugs made by paid professionals, I know I have never been involved in a project a tenth as complicated as this, and will not know enough to touch one for a long time. Actually, I've even learned a few CS concepts just from discussing the bugs with friends and fleetmates who know much more than I do.

Other than this problem and the new Dil Mine grind, I'm very happy with this patch in general. Especially since it pretty much fixed the SB doff problem that was causing many of us to fill our mail in the first place.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. This game is far from perfect, but I know you guys are working very hard (within constraints of time, money, needing to make a profit, etc) to make it a fun experience for us hardcore Trekkies.

TLDR: Thank you to all the engineers for working to get this fixed, and your work in general.
    Characters:
    T'Shara / Ten
    Inara / Aurora
    D'Rhai (Fed) / S'Elandrei (KDF)
  • Options
    alanburchalanburch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *** SUDDEN DEATH FROM MISSING MAIL SYNDROME ***

ouch....It appears that I only have mail from the past 30 days.

It is unfortunate that the only way to transfer certain items, (such as DOFFS), between characters is with the mail system.
  • Options
    xyrmaelineraxyrmaelinera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What should i say ....

every, EVERY Person that worked in IT now one rule:

Never touch a running System.

The mail system has worked fine over 3,5 years, with some smaller issues in the beginning. But someone has said omg they store items in the Mails, exploit, stealthnerf now.

That this problem was createt from you (cryptic/PWE) and we players has asks over months for a solution to the storage problem / unbalanced project for doffs was ignored a long long time.

If you had it done right, you had make first the changes that come today to the projects (for which i and many other players really thankful), put then the Dil Mine live and if then the mail problem had not be solved from self over the next months ... then will be the best time play on the mailsystem.

The wrong way was to first change the mailsystem, hide in silence of this nerf, create now the second big bug to the mailssystem that have to be fixed that cost time and personal that normal can work on some of the other bugs in the game.

Pls say us that you have learned from this and that next time you will first listen to the need of the many (players), solve the problem and then play with working systems if then needed.
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    alanburch wrote: »
    *** SUDDEN DEATH FROM MISSING MAIL SYNDROME ***

ouch....It appears that I only have mail from the past 30 days.

It is unfortunate that the only way to transfer certain items, (such as DOFFS), between characters is with the mail system.
    its high time they just let us put DOFFS in bags.

there is actually nowhere you can store them apart from in the mail (you can't increase candidate slots as i think someone erroneously suggested earlier).

and tbh if they want to take stress of the mail system give everyone 10 slots worth of account bank for the inter character transfer of items (and for that matter money).
  • Options
    daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, it just popped up for me. It was their this morning but now nothing, my box is empty except for recent sales. I hope they fix this soon.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, let me understand this:

All of our items will be recovered but all of our mail will not be?

I strongly suggest that you work on a way of migrating the original mail messages, because losing in-game mail, especially since your company has never provided a way to back up messages, is a customer service disaster. Imagine if Gmail lost everyone's mail but kept the attachments or the post office lost all the mail that is currently in transit?

At least though, with Gmail you can download your messages to outlook or back it up in some other fashion.

By recovering the items attached to messages you are likely to avoid lawsuits from the guys who lost lock box ships they paid thousands of dollars for; however, it is still a pretty big black eye for the company: 3 years of personal messages.

Data is often more precious than gold and as a company that essentially sells information services, I strongly suggest you work on how to transfer over the content of the messages that were lost.

Thank you.
  • Options
    jalawaranjalawaran Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same here. Everything prior to June 9 is gone. Talk about the proverbial straw...:mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Everything prior to June 9 is gone. :(
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2013
    it kind of feels like if they just left the mail system alone and not secretly change things they wouldn't have this issue..

but nope, they "fix" one thing and break 10 more..

if i ran my business like that id be broke.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    yucaleyucale Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    For the fix we will be performing, the 100 item limit will not be an issue. Rest assured that all of your items will be returned and will be in your mailbox.

Hopefully we get them also back with the title of the mail - because at least for doofs you cant see what is inside without getting them to your inventory.

And when you then took some you just not need now, you proably cant put them back in the mail with the 100 limit for new mails.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2013
    well my email was there earlier, its now gone..

they better fix it, and restore it all 100%..
    i had email from players that dont play anymore wishing me happy birthday and such.. id really like to keep those.

maybe this is a lesson to not mess with something that isnt broken?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After logging in today I went to check my in-game mail and found the vast majority of it, whether it had attachments or not, had mysteriously disappeared over night.

Did anyone else have this happen to them?
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, this was a massive goof on the Devs part.

-V
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vnexus wrote: »
    Yeah, this was a massive goof on the Devs part.

-V

But unlike the Mine, this one will be fixed. Heh.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What should i say ....

every, EVERY Person that worked in IT now one rule:

Never touch a running System.

The mail system has worked fine over 3,5 years, with some smaller issues in the beginning. But someone has said omg they store items in the Mails, exploit, stealthnerf now..

I work in IT. Assuming you do, you're going to tell me that in your experience, you've never applied a patch, or a server/client upgrade to your organization's e-mail system? How long have you been 'working' in IT? Two weeks?;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    stanojoski1stanojoski1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mail wiped clean !!! I had much more mails full with items
    Now I have only 18 mails on my mail
    first Mail from 23.05.2013 12:20
    Last Mail from 24.05.2013 12:52
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So many lost Doffs. Nothing in mail prior to may 30 on any character. Exchange returns no longer have items attached.

What I want to know is how an email response (1 response to many tickets on the issue between 2 accounts I paid for) to lost mail in the past said "we do not archive player mail" with no resolution of any kind works with "we're investigating this now"? If you don't archive our mail and lost it, what's to look into? One place or another, someone is being dishonest about it.
  • Options
    frogarfrogar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oldest mail 6/1/2013
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    According to this post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10939261&postcount=100

The Devs were migrating mail to a new mail system. I'm guessing that this may have been an attempt at restoring some of the stability and functionality that the old mail system lost?

So maybe this means that the attachment limits will be relaxed when this is all over with?

Also...

I work in one of the most risk-averse IT environments on the planet with operations that run around the clock. And management REALLY doesn't like it when things go wrong in IT. But if you're not changing things to keep up with the business, you're not doing your job right.

So the idea of "don't touch a running system" is not entirely realistic. And even in a risk-averse IT environment, unexpected stuff happens. Five or six nines of uptime don't come cheap.

It's not like this was "real" email running according to real-world email protocols. I'm guessing they don't run Qmail, Postfix, or Exchange on the back end.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    frenchy277 wrote: »
    Yes, thank you for bringing starbase construction to a screeching halt :mad:

Also thank you for telling us in advance so we could retrieve our valuables :mad:
    5 Mag Regulators... thats a challenge to store!

Thousands of consoles seems a bit excessive, Doff's are of course understandable. But Ive known the risk day 1 using a mail system to store items and I would hope anyone else would have.

The issue is not "knowing better". It's that mail allows for item containment and no disclaimer of any kind came from the Game Admin stating it was "at risk" when in mail.
  • Options
    furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Glad to hear you're working on it... I need to go work on cleaning the TRIBBLE out of my pants.
  • Options
    nemoutopianemoutopia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only mail from before 6/13/2013 that is still showing in mailbox is exchange related: item sold, item not sold, and item returned. Also, currently unable to send mail to self AT ALL. I won't complain too much if I get it all back, as long as we get full details on any actual changes to the mail system!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

It's not like this was "real" email running according to real-world email protocols. I'm guessing they don't run Qmail, Postfix, or Exchange on the back end.

Given the number of problems, it *could* be Exchange :D
  • Options
    sideswiperyansideswiperyan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My current oldest mail is dated 16th June 2013, however I had text mail in my inbox dating back to the launch of the game up until ten minutes ago. I've also lost 6 to 12 mails from the Exchange returning items that had expired.
This discussion has been closed.