Install Arc
Options

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Find the dev post that states this, or quit trolling.

There's a twitter posting from Bran to that effect (mail =/= unlimited long term storage).

That being said, every indication was given that all items currently in the system would stay there until recovered. Deletion en masse was never in the cards players were shown.

If this turns out to be intentional...hoo boy.
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    The mail isn't intended as a means for storage, especially long term, so if you lost items that have been in there for over a month, you have only yourself to blame.

Can you provide a source for this please?
  • Options
    jaxjaguarsjaxjaguars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The mail isn't intended as a means for storage, especially long term, so if you lost items that have been in there for over a month, you have only yourself to blame.

So I guess items from fleet members and regular members as gifts or trades are gone too. We must be SOL because it was a means of storage
  • Options
    jaxjaguarsjaxjaguars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's a twitter posting from Bran to that effect (mail =/= unlimited long term storage).

That being said, every indication was given that all items currently in the system would stay there until recovered. Deletion en masse was never in the cards players were shown.

If this turns out to be intentional...hoo boy.

A twitter conversation to another user isn't by far any official communication.
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Find the dev post that states this, or quit trolling.

I'm not trolling because I'm pointing out that you're complaining that using something in a way not intended has now bit you in the butt. It doesn't have to be a rule as long as you have common sense. I also never said that it was an exploit or anything, just saying you can't complain about losing items if you don't have them in a proper storage space. They sell expanded bank space for a reason.
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I would like to know the source of this information too.
    Or is it an assumption?
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...They sell expanded bank space for a reason.
    Which is purrrrrfect to store DOFFs and BO's.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jaxjaguars wrote: »
    So I guess items from fleet members and regular members as gifts or trades are gone too. We must be SOL because it was a means of storage

Again, if you can't be bothered to remove these items from your mail box in a month's time, it's your problem if you lose them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Which is purrrrrfect to store DOFFs and BO's.

They sell expanded doff space as well, and I've had boffs in my inventory before. Why do you need to store tons of boffs? You can also use the exchange for storing these. Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Again, if you can't be bothered to remove these items from you mail box in a month's time, it's your problem if you lose them.

No warning = no legitimacy.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is the twitter post in question, I believe:
    Brandon Felczer ‏@PWE_BranFlakes 23 May
    @JamesNHams The mail was never intended to be an infinite amount of space :)

Note that it says nothing about the duration items could be held.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    everything bar returns from the exchange in the last day or so is gone...
  • Options
    carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jaxjaguars wrote: »
    We must be SOL because it was a means of storage
    It's not meant to BE a means of storage, though. Mail, by definition, is to send stuff between people. When it arrives, you take the item, you don't leave it sitting in the system ad infinitum.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No warning = no legitimacy.

You don't deserve warning if you're using the mail as long term storage which isn't its intended function. You gambled, you lost.
  • Options
    amphil28amphil28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I lost a bunch of items too. It was gear saved for use or sale post LoR and I was actually in the process of cleaning it out myself. There was, (and I kid you not) most notably a mail of 5 Purple Mk XI Phaser Relays. This was all stuff saved before the mail limit update, and we were given no indication that existing mail would be removed.

I hate ********, but I also dont like losing millions of ec in already earned 'items.'

Also, other than this one bug, the new patch fixes a lot of stuff and thank you guys for that, one of the best yet.

As per Bran's request, the earliest date I have mail from is 5/24/13.
    Characters:
    T'Shara / Ten
    Inara / Aurora
    D'Rhai (Fed) / S'Elandrei (KDF)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Again, if you can't be bothered to remove these items from your mail box in a month's time, it's your problem if you lose them.

And where does this magic time-frame come from? Quit making stuff up.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My issue is that I'm getting expired sales coming from the exchange that have no items and they can't seem to be deleted and yes I'm standing at a mail kiosk when I'm checking the mail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    odyssey47...seriously just bugger off you immature troll. this mail loss "event" is way below par for any contemporary MMO and its quite clear you're just being a #%4*

BranFlakes get this moron outta here before i lose my patience and plaster this mess front page over massively and the escapist.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You don't deserve warning if you're using the mail as long term storage which isn't its intended function. You gambled, you lost.

Bull. I've already posted the tweet you're relying on, and it says nothing about duration.

Unless Cryptic publicizes a time-limit, indefinite storage of mails is the mailbox's designed function.

Quit trolling.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And where does this magic time-frame come from? Quit making stuff up.

I said a month because people are saying they lost mail from before LOR launch. Why would it take you more than a month to remove items from your mailbox? You had plenty of time.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Bull. I've already posted the tweet you're relying on, and it says nothing about duration.

Unless Cryptic publicizes a time-limit, indefinite storage of mails is the mailbox's designed function.

Quit trolling.

You internet people need to learn what trolling is. My pointing out that you're complaining about something that is your own fault is not trolling. I guess I need to put a sign on my bathroom sink saying that it is not a toilet otherwise people like you will pee in it.

It is not the designed function of the mail box unless that's what the designers designed it to do, which they did not.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I said a month because people are saying they lost mail from before LOR launch. Why would it take you more than a month to remove items from your mailbox? You had plenty of time.

So you're okay if your bank throws out everything in your safe-deposit box if you don't access it in a month?

"Plenty of time" doesn't apply when the box is designed for storage.
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Where's all my mail? Only a fraction of what I had before is still there. Can I have it back please? If I haven't deleted them, then there's a reason,

Same happend to me just now, A other patch a new cryptic bug.
    I want my stuff back !!
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So you're okay if your bank throws out everything in your safe-deposit box if you don't access it in a month?

If a mail box and a safety deposit box were the same thing I might agree with you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You internet people need to learn what trolling is. My pointing out that you're complaining about something that is your own fault is not trolling. I guess I need to put a sign on my bathroom sink saying that it is not a toilet otherwise people like you will pee in it.

You're posting incorrect inflammatory garbage in an attempt to annoy forum users. That's trolling.
  • Options
    carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Safe deposit boxes are long-term storage by design. Mail isn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're posting incorrect inflammatory garbage in an attempt to annoy forum users. That's trolling.

My statements are not incorrect, crying on the forums about everything even when it is your own fault, is that trolling too? Because it annoys people. And actually, Mr. Mind Reader, my intent isn't to annoy forum users, so I guess I'm not a troll.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It is not the designed function of the mail box unless that's what the designers designed it to do, which they did not.

Bull. They never said there was a time limit on mail. In fact, there are many MMOs where mail does have a time limit, so not giving it one here was clearly a conscious choice.

Indefinite storage was designed into the mailbox.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My statements are not incorrect, crying on the forums about everything even when it is your own fault, is that trolling too? Because it annoys people.

Unless you can show statements from the devs that there is a time limit on mail, your information is incorrect.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Safe deposit boxes are long-term storage by design. Mail isn't.

I have emails from over a decade ago.

Try again.
This discussion has been closed.