Install Arc
Options

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    My statements are not incorrect, crying on the forums about everything even when it is your own fault, is that trolling too? Because it annoys people. And actually, Mr. Mind Reader, my intent isn't to annoy forum users, so I guess I'm not a troll.
    people are complaining a bout a legitimate post patch problem that's already been confirmed as such by the CM in this thread.

now get lost troll.
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Bull. They never said there was a time limit on mail. In fact, there are many MMOs where mail does have a time limit, so not giving it one here was clearly a conscious choice.

Indefinite storage was designed into the mailbox.

You're mistaking the design of not letting mail be deleted automatically as a design for deliberate long term storage. If you go on vacation and don't play the game for a long period, your items should still be there when you get back. If you play daily and are intentionally using the mail as storage instead of proper means, you are taking advantage of this. Whether or not doing this is wrong, you left your items there on purpose, and now a bug has caused you to lose them. The mail is buggy a lot, you should've known better. Maybe, just maybe, the mail is buggy a lot because people store too much TRIBBLE in it.
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey, Tom & Jerry. Take the hand-bag fight elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I work as an MS Exchange administrator for a large Hospital and daily I get calls from users crying because they lost important emails and I have to tell users "do not sore emails you want to keep in your sent or deleted items folder". Same applies here, I understand that Bank and inventory space is limited, but using the email system as a place to store items is not the brightest idea. I know that in a perfect world emails should never disappear but things happen and I'm sure Cryptics storage space is limited and when enough people use the email system as a bank rather that just to send messages it can fill up rather quickly. People should take this as a lesson learned and look for other methods for storing items and Doffs. Even with a stable system if server storage space gets full the 1st thing an admin will do is clean out older messages to free up storage space. Not that this is what happened but still using the Email system as a bank is not a good idea.
  • Options
    carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have emails from over a decade ago.

Try again.
    How many tangible items or people do you have attached to those emails?
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you go on vacation and don't play the game for a long period, your items should still be there when you get back.

Glad you realize you were wrong.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How many tangible items or people do you have attached to those emails?

They have attachments. None of them are tangible, but then again, nothing in STO is either.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lol, the trolling is strong in this thread :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Glad you realize you were wrong.

Nope, if you pay attention, I said people who play regularly who are intentionally using the mail as storage are at fault for losing their items, and that they were taking advantage of there not being an auto delete time limit for those who are away from the game long term. Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited June 2013
    oldest mail i have is 12:46:28am on June 1, 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I work as an MS Exchange administrator for a large Hospital and daily I get calls from users crying because they lost important emails and I have to tell users "do not sore emails you want to keep in your sent or deleted items folder".

If you worked for me, you'd be fired. Losing user data is never acceptable, especially not on a daily basis. If you don't have backups and redundancy, you're not doing your job.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2013
    We have our top engineers on this -- they continue to investigate. As soon as I have an update from them, I will be sure to post it here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    5/24/2013 1:40:26pm
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nope, if you pay attention, I said people who play regularly who are intentionally using the mail as storage are at fault for losing their items, and that they were taking advantage of there not being an auto delete time limit for those who are away from the game long term. Thanks for playing.

So you're okay if people's characters get deleted for inactivity? Because people not logging in are clearly taking advantage of there not being an auto delete time limit for those who are away from the game long term. Thanks for continuing to be wrong.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's a twitter posting from Bran to that effect (mail =/= unlimited long term storage).

That being said, every indication was given that all items currently in the system would stay there until recovered. Deletion en masse was never in the cards players were shown.

If this turns out to be intentional...hoo boy.

You do remember that post from one of our volunteer mods that implied that this event could happen, right ?

Accident...

Uh-huh
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am encountering a similar issue: While my mail appears to still be there, I cannot receive any mail. Not even empty, attachmentless mail. I can send mail and it gets received, but I cannot receive any mail except for Exchange Sales. The "You've Got Mail!" blinkenlight is also locked on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So you're okay if people's characters get deleted for inactivity? Because people not logging in are clearly taking advantage of there not being an auto delete time limit for those who are away from the game long term. Thanks for continuing to be wrong.

That doesn't make any sense and has no relation to what I said. You're grasping at straws to make an argument and apparently have broken your brain.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    You do remember that post from one of our volunteer mods that implied that this event could happen, right ?

Accident...

Uh-huh

Although I think he implied that *all* mail could be wiped out.

Anyway, if this was intended, then that would mean that Bran is just blowing smoke about the "top engineers" being on it. Like the Ark of the Covenant.

I may be cynical about Cryptic after the Dil Mine snafu, but I don't think they're that evil.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Accident...

Uh-huh

I actually don't.

But we're in agreement on this. The smell test, this does not pass.
    Although I think he implied that *all* mail could be wiped out.

Anyway, if this was intended, then that would mean that Bran is just blowing smoke about the "top engineers" being on it. Like the Ark of the Covenant.

I may be cynical about Cryptic after the Dil Mine snafu, but I don't think they're that evil.

You seem to be forgetting the numerous times major changes were made with zero documentation, often to the detriment of players.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That doesn't make any sense and has no relation to what I said. You're clutching at straws to make an argument and apparently have broken your brain.

At least I had one to break. Your argument is that everything in the game is an accident of the devs not setting a limit to the contrary. Something so over-the-top farcical that it's hard to type through the laughter.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This accident ;) reminds us that the mail is not storage.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We have our top engineers on this -- they continue to investigate. As soon as I have an update from them, I will be sure to post it here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

As far as I can guess one of the server performance increases in the last builds was to implement the 'show only mails from this game' filter, since I no longer can see any holodeck mail (even the handful that still are there) on tribble. (Neither in CO, Postman checked.)

So any old mail with the missing 'this is a holodeck mail' tag won't be displayed.

In addition from the two exchange sale expired mails the one with the actual item in it won't be displayed anymore either.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually don't.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=695071
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited June 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
    The mail isn't intended as a means for storage, especially long term, so if you lost items that have been in there for over a month, you have only yourself to blame.
    Find the dev post that states this, or quit trolling.

I thought there were already several threads on this with LoR 100 attachment limit discussion. I think it was fairly well established in this thread (one of many) that long-term unlimited free storage was unintended use of the mail system, hence the 100 attachment limit.

Now as far as the mass deletions of mail older than a 'month', whether or not there were attachments in them, I think that was an accident, unintended, or a bug of the most recent patch, and that they will try to address it (see Branflakes post below).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

and Mr. Flakes, what becomes of your bottom engineers? Just curious. You're always touting the top ones.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    At least I had one to break. Your argument is that everything in the game is an accident of the devs not setting a limit to the contrary. Something so over-the-top farcical that it's hard to type through the laughter.

Where is it stated that mail is for storage? We can go both ways about this. In your real life mail box outside your home, how much mail are you storing in there? A mail box isn't for storage, period, never has been. Not sure what you could be laughing about, other than your limited understanding of something so basic and obvious. Once again, do you pee in sinks? It works, but it's not intended is it?
  • Options
    navvilusnavvilus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but i don't think it's a case of only being able to access the most recent mail.

When i first logged in today, i could see all my mail. Later, most of my messages disappeared, except those that were at (or near) the top of the list at the last time i viewed them - and i'd last sorted my mail by subject, not by date sent. Most of the messages i can still see are quite old.
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suppose that's one way to distract from the dilithium mine stupidity...

This! So much this!!!

Yes, from one stupid move to another....sighs.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I actually don't.

This is the post he referred to:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10607611#post10607611
    I'm surprised. Some of you have been here long enough to remember what they did last time the mail system was getting into this state; they purged people's mail.

How quickly folks forget.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Where is it stated that mail is for storage?

Where is it stated that it isn't?

Mailboxes are for storing mail for variable durations. The duration in STO was initially chosen as indefinite. These are facts, no matter how often you pee in your sink.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2013

Accident...

Uh-huh

"Volunteer mod". They have no inside information, so are just providing their own personal opinion (as described in their signature).

Let me make this clear: This (missing mail) is 100% not intended and is a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.