What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• Options
    liquidraven26liquidraven26 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bah - had a plethora of items from the exchange be returned back to my mail - sadly I can only claim about 40% of these if not less. I hope they fix this issue soon.
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Missing mail prior to 5/25/2013

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jamaharon wrote: »
    "We have our top men working on it."

TOP..... MEN.....

*cue warehouse scene with everyone's lost mail items being stored away*
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What should i say ....

The mail system has worked fine over 3,5 years, with some smaller issues in the beginning. But someone has said omg they store items in the Mails, exploit, stealthnerf now.

That this problem was createt from you (cryptic/PWE) and we players has asks over months for a solution to the storage problem / unbalanced project for doffs was ignored a long long time.

If you had it done right, you had make first the changes that come today to the projects (for which i and many other players really thankful), put then the Dil Mine live and if then the mail problem had not be solved from self over the next months ... then will be the best time play on the mailsystem.

The wrong way was to first change the mailsystem, hide in silence of this nerf, create now the second big bug to the mailssystem that have to be fixed that cost time and personal that normal can work on some of the other bugs in the game.

Pls say us that you have learned from this and that next time you will first listen to the need of the many (players), solve the problem and then play with working systems if then needed.

QFT
    If they had told us about the 100 mail limit we could have unwound out mail prior to LOR.
    If they had told us Fleet requirements were changing from Security to Tactical and Security we would have stored less in our mail and they wouldn't have had to add a limit in the first place.

We're not the enemy. Talk to us and we'll adapt.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    azeda1azeda1 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was going to write a really long post but seeing as Cryptic PWE never listen, I'm just going to condense it.

Firstly, I hardly ever post in the forums. I just play the game and get on with it as best I can. I've been a LTS since week one and purchased nearly all the C-store ships, costumes, unlocks, everything across multiple characters. I've invested a lot of money, time and effort into this game but this... this if it is a permanent loss, then I'm done with playing STO for good.

Today, while grinding away (I'm the only member of my fleet left now, they've all left because the grind got too much, so I am left to complete the starbase, embassy and now the dilithium mine on my own!), I find that all of my mail has been deleted. There are a few exchange expires on there, mostly things I've forgotten to deal with over time, going back to late 2011 but all of the mail sent between characters on my account is gone.
    There was a *lot* of mails with many expensive items, consoles, lockbox ships, samples. weapons, ship gear, boffs, doffs, etc etc. Yes, I know the line from the devs with it being an 'exploit' (ya, whatever) to send mail to yourself but with no real large storage solution in the game, what was I to do? I've bought all the bank, inventory unlocks I can but its not enough. And anyway, where was it written that mailing items to yourself was not allowed?
    The 100 item limit introduced from LOR onwards is bad enough. Acceptable I suppose but to delete all the back mail with no warning is just not on. I haven't got time to trawl though umpteen pages but I seriously hope its just a momentary glitch. If all my mails and items are indeed permanantly gone, then I'm permanantly gone from STO and so is any future money from me.

Hopefully someone from Cryptic reads this and takes the points raised on board (especially enough of the grind, please!) but I'm not holding my breath. Its sad to think how brilliant and dynamic STO could be, only for it to degenerate into a mindless grindfest and moneysink. Gene's vision deserves better.

I agree in all of the above written (besides im not alone in my fleet, at least not yet), and im seriously considering to leave this game, and for putting in more real world monney..IT's BIG NO NO, no more from me...thats it..!!
  • Options
    srittsritt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All of my mail is gone, i sent a mail to myself thinking it was a display bug of some sort, or that the mail system had been moved. i cant be sure now, but i think i was far off the 100 item limit, it was moslty purple boffs. I had mail with login info for mumble, TS3 etc etc, please sort it out guys. every time my friends log into sto they ask whats broken now :/, and all i have to say is "not the C-Store". :(
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Actually I don't really care that much about the items I lost. Sure, they where worth a lot of EC, but I can always get more EC and apparently the items will be returned anyway.

I'm rather upset with losing some of the mails though, there where a few special ones I treasured and dearly miss now. From what I understand, there is no chance of those being restored, which to me is far worse then losing items.

For future reference, when there is a migration to a new mail system where apparently the risk of losing mail is involved, please warn the playerbase. If I had known those mails could become lost, I would have screencapped them, or type them over or whatever.

Not perfect, but at least I would still have the mails I treasured :(:(:(
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azeda1azeda1 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, let me understand this:

All of our items will be recovered but all of our mail will not be?

I strongly suggest that you work on a way of migrating the original mail messages, because losing in-game mail, especially since your company has never provided a way to back up messages, is a customer service disaster. Imagine if Gmail lost everyone's mail but kept the attachments or the post office lost all the mail that is currently in transit?

At least though, with Gmail you can download your messages to outlook or back it up in some other fashion.

By recovering the items attached to messages you are likely to avoid lawsuits from the guys who lost lock box ships they paid thousands of dollars for; however, it is still a pretty big black eye for the company: 3 years of personal messages.

Data is often more precious than gold and as a company that essentially sells information services, I strongly suggest you work on how to transfer over the content of the messages that were lost.

Thank you.

If its like above stated..?! Its not accepteble...i want both items and mails restored...iformation is valuble to...!!
  • Options
    caramba3caramba3 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    haven't read all the posts.

Mail is still bugged.
    Problem is the return sale items I get still double ones even 4 times the same mail (same date and time code when its send back).
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azeda1 wrote: »
    If its like above stated..?! Its not accepteble...i want both items and mails restored...iformation is valuble to...!!

Yes i want also both back. (before doing something this big you didn't back-up the data first Cryptic ???)
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Volunteer mod". They have no inside information, so are just providing their own personal opinion (as described in their signature).

Brandon =/\=

I'll take that at face value as we players only know what we're told from the forums and the patch notes.

...And the ones that do know whats going on aren't talking on the 'official' outlet for game info.
    :eek:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I noticed today that a large portion of my mail has vanished from the mailbox. I didn't delete it, but it seems that it has completely disappeared, including sentimental email, important fleet mails, storage for very valuable objects, etc.

What is going on?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone have an update? Digging though to find this thread is worrisome, you would think this issue would qualify for a sticky...
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't care about the lockboxes and ornaments I had in there. I care about the mail itself.

Contained within my mailbox, and comprising 75% of it, was the mail that I sent back and forth between my now-best friend. And now, apparently, that important portion of my history and that of my friend, is gone.

I have no words that can convey the sense of loss. :mad:
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    donhouston9donhouston9 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :mad::mad::mad: WTF i could have use a heads up or some shat! Frack i had a ton of doffs in my mail i was using. AAAAAHHHHHH. I paid for all those boff's, doff's gear, and everything else!FRRRRAAAACK! Ok Ok if i ask nice can i have my stuff back. May I please have the items that were in my mail that i paid for back!PPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE:mad:
  • Options
    redbofaredbofa Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Hey guys, we have an update on this issue for you.

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.

The "very, very large amount" comment is no longer true. My wife and I have lost large (over 500 emails) and small (less than 100 emails) batches of email in 3 of our accounts in the past 24 hours. The last loss of email happened within the last 4 hours. The only ones remaining are those sent from 5-28-13 on, even though I have one BOff exchange return from 2-18-13 (weird). The problem seems to be getting worse. Therefore, until the problem is fixed, I do not plan to use the in-game email for anything other than what the exchange sends me.

I know the Devs and other team members are doing their best and it can seem to be overwhelming sometimes. I appreciate their efforts and hard work and hope for the best.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Hey guys, we have an update on this issue for you.

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.

(emphasis is mine)

For the most part, I try to roll with the punches and tend to shrug off major and minor bugs and 'go with the flow'. It is, after all, a game.

But I just don't get why this whole mail thing has been handled as it has been. I went back and reread the patch notes, thinking surely they wouldn't stealth-CHANGE the system after all the problems stealth-updating the system produced. But I didn't miss it - the only thing about mail in those patch notes is that deleting a mail should no longer cause your client to crash to desktop. Well - good to know, now that there's nothing in there to delete, can't even really test that theory. lol

Seriously, you migrated the entire player mail system (to a new database, I presume) and didn't notice that there was a limit on number of items until AFTER you put it live? And then instead of reverting to a backup, you're going to go through and mail items to players? And you didn't tell anyone you were going to do it? Oh my.

As stated from various others, the items are a big source of concern, but so are the messages. If this new 'system' enabled anything related to basic email organization - like a search box, or checkboxes to delete more than one message at a time, with a select all button - I welcome it heartily. But I haven't seen any evidence of that.

At the very least, you would have had so fewer problems had you announced the both changes. I guarantee that I would have spent the last two days cleaning out my mail instead of trying to finish the FE series before the rerun ended. At least I know the reruns will be back some day.

I am thankful that I copied the text from a few messages that were very important to me, but I don't even know how many I have lost, not counting the (admittedly large amounts) of DOffs and BOffs held in there due to maxing out all other storage options. Please consider reverting to the backup (after ANNOUNCING it), or invest some time in the coding needed to re-sync the old messages with the player accounts.

I feel for anyone who had to work on this project. I know it's a lot of work and headache, but you have to thoroughly check a migration - not just assume it went OK. It could have been a lot easier had everyone been told in advance and given a few weeks to clean up. I mean, how long has the 'forum upgrade coming' thread been up? Why would you attempt a mail migration the same way you migrated the forum the first time?

Sorry - probably TLDR. I'm just stunned.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    xyrmaelineraxyrmaelinera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    (emphasis is mine)

Seriously, you migrated the entire player mail system (to a new database, I presume) and didn't notice that there was a limit on number of items until AFTER you put it live? And then instead of reverting to a backup, you're going to go through and mail items to players? And you didn't tell anyone you were going to do it? Oh my.

How they should test it? Tribble get wiped before LoR update and get at this time the new mail limit and the problems will primary only happen to players that have more then the limit (send mails befor LoR update).

If no one on tribble has more mails then the limit no errors/bugs can be found, next step is to put it live and wait for the crash and deal with the problems they are unable to test...

... i promise this will not the last big bug on the mailsystem because of this unnecessary changes.
  • Options
    arketipicosarketipicos Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Few days ago i lose a lot of doffs in my mail.
    what can i do? Somebody can help me?
    Thanks for your time
    Picana - Shaolin - Deity Warrior
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=758111
    You are not the only1.
    send in a ticket
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How they should test it? Tribble get wiped before LoR update and get at this time the new mail limit and the problems will primary only happen to players that have more then the limit (send mails befor LoR update).

If no one on tribble has more mails then the limit no errors/bugs can be found, next step is to put it live and wait for the crash and deal with the problems they are unable to test...

You don't have to have the entire playerbase 'test' whether they have all of their emails migrated. One thought would be a query to count how many messages were in the old box versus how many are in the new box. But I don't know exactly what they did or how they did it, so I am not going to put forth any ideas, other than - there HAS to be a backup, right?

... i promise this will not the last big bug on the mailsystem because of this unnecessary changes.

QFT - completely agree.

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In addition to missing mail, The exchange 'item did not sell' message duplicate seems to be following a pattern.

One mail From: Exchange - has the item attached
    One mail From: Exchange - has just the message. Can't delete these.

All person-to-person mail prior to 5/23 missing from mailbox
    Had 2 copies of a returned unsold Exchange item from 5/9/2013. Nothing prior to that.

Edit: More info - message w/out item seems to delete if the toon that sold the item is the one attempting to delete it. I went through all 10 or so of these messages from my main toon, making sure to attempt to delete all the messages from Exchange. All mails with items attached and removed would delete. The duplicate messages deleted only if that toon had posted it (I was able to take all items, however).

About an hour later, from the same toon and without logging into any other toon, I accessed my mail again to find 3 mails from April that were not previously there, and all of the messages from the Exchange that would not delete were gone.

Submitted ticket ID #1,812,979 Edit: tried to update my ticket in-game, but it does not show up. <sigh>

At first, seemed to be mail from Exchange(Holodeck) had no item, mail from Exchange was just message. However, messages dated after 5/29 appear to both be from Exchange (Holodeck)

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• Options
    danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is still a problem for me at the momnet.
    I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

At the very least, you would have had so fewer problems had you announced the both changes. I guarantee that I would have spent the last two days cleaning out my mail instead of trying to finish the FE series before the rerun ended. At least I know the reruns will be back some day.

This. Exactly this.

When I realized I'd lost tens of millions of ECs worth of stuff - including several reward packs - with no warning, I darn near cancelled my sub on the spot. I had "a lot" of items in the mail, and had I been PROPERLY warned then I would have cleared out my mail and sold what I needed to as vendor trash. I might have even bought some inventory slots or some character slots to handle the overflow. I also lost a lot of text-only messages.

I really hope you're planning on giving us a chance to do that, still. Losing that much stuff is a great way to stomp on the throat of a player. I'm still not the most enthused thanks to a few changes already.

At present the mail problem is VERY much still affecting me. I currently have a lot of mail, but much of it is "Exchange Sale Has Expired" auto-messages. I had a LOT more than that, though, sent from both myself and other players - and a lot of the better stuff I didn't stick up on the Exchange, so I haven't gotten most of the really good stuff back at all.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    i lost a lot of colonist, refugees, doffs and boffs, shields, armors, etc...

Need them back, please cryptic gods... im your loyal follower...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Me neither. im from Uruguay. We talk in spanish.

Greetings
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hmm i have this too though it seems to only be a notification from the exchange its really annoying having that little mail icon flashing in the top corner of my screen because i forget about the fact its buggered so i keep checking lol ... I would appreciate being able to keep track of my EC income from the exchange sales .. .lol
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well I had 5 lockbox ships in storage along with some mk 12 stuff all waiting to be grabbed by my new romulan when he was big enough...

Guess I'll hope that all comes back...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    divadretepdivadretep Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Brandon,

ALL of the most important mail has disappeared, what is left is of no consequence.

This seems to have occurred between the 19th and 20th of June, 2013, and the earliest mail item that is available dates from May 21th, 2013. Eveything that was important dates before that.

Ticket # 1,813,433.
  • Options
    yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rrrrr .... I was just checking my mail, you know to do a bit of tidy up.
    to find that all my mails are gone.
    well, except 2 mails.

Is it only me or there is something wrong - or is it working as intended? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.