test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    admgreer wrote: »
    So if someone is making hateful vulgar comments about your religion, the color of your skin, your nationality, ( this happens every night, sometimes every few min at ESD) its okay and should be allowed? Im all for free speech but there is a forum for that kind of thing and ESD zone chat is not it. Since the start of Season 7 and the funneling of masses of players into ESD it has really gotten out of hand.

What if you dont tell what's your skin color or nationality?

As for religion...thats done in your privacy not in zone chat .If you dont tell about them no one can know.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    fedman70 wrote: »
    I'm curious just how this silence for 24 hours thing works. Was it those people who put it on you (and how do they do it? Is all they have to do is click/type something and it happens?!?)

The OP said Cryptic said it was an automated system, so maybe it wasn't these people he/she mentioned, it was the system- it detected something you did and silenced you (though I'm not sure what- you said you didn't talk or break any rule in the EULA at all)

I dont remember seeing the exact number anywhere but it pretty much works like this:
    1. You spam messages, or post lines that are offensive to a X-number of people
    2. X-Number of people right click your name, and click "Report Spam".
    3. System says "X-number of people find this to be spam... better shut him up for 24 hours".
    4. You are now banned for 24 hours

So its not any one person who does it directly. There are a certain number of people involved, and almost 100% players.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    I dont remember seeing the exact number anywhere but it pretty much works like this:
    1. You spam messages, or post lines that are offensive to a X-number of people
    2. X-Number of people right click your name, and click "Report Spam".
    3. System says "X-number of people find this to be spam... better shut him up for 24 hours".
    4. You are now banned for 24 hours

So its not any one person who does it directly. There are a certain number of people involved, and almost 100% players.

In addition, it's been confirmed that using the Ignore feature does the same thing. If you're Ignored by X-Number of people, you get silenced for 24 hours. Now how many people have to ignore you in what time frame, we don't know. Theoretically X-Ignore is higher than X-Spam, but we don't know what it is.

IMO, Ignore should be completely separate and we should be able to Ignore someone for any arbitrary reason at all without necessarily penalizing that player for it. There are other functions suitable for reporting abuse, we don't need Ignore for this.

The effect of this rule the way it is makes me, personally, hesitate to Ignore someone just because I don't care to see their yammering in chat. Because I can see where a 24-hour ban affects players' ability to enjoy the game. They can't talk to their fleet mates, they can't participate in private chat, and they can't join team chat. Not being able to chat means that they can't effectively trade, which is the main way to train up a BO in a skill you can't train.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • rednolandrednoland Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This new system is completely discriminating. Seriously. I was minding my business, and engaged with few people discussing in the zone chat at ESD and suddenly, I found myself to be chat silenced. the last thing I said, I couldn't even remembered...
  • silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2013
    i run 2 fleets, and after a fleet mail i get muted for 24 hours by some noob
    wtf !!! why can anyone just must u from the whole game just like that !!
    i send a ticket but it was deleted within minutes
  • silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2013
    make it so newbie fleet members cannot press the spam button in fleet mails !

the newbie doesnt live anymore so atleast i feel better now..

our fleet is huge and get new members daily, so i would like to avoid this in the future with a patch !
  • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So let me get this correct....
    Someone can right click my name in chat and choose Report Spam, and I am automatically flagged as a Spammer and can not CHAT for 24 Hours?
    Is the server in California? Or the old Soviet Union.
    I linked 2 ships into chat and I'm SPAMMING?

Will someone from Cryptic please explain to me why any Pinhead in game can "Silence" someone. DO LTS not have the right to Link Something in Chat?

EXPLAIN
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *SIGH :(

Unfortunately your more likely a victim of in game trolling/bullying rather than because you did anything wrong per se. There are dozens of threads just like this one and unfortunately, to my knowledge, nothing will be done about it as it is what it is and for 24hrs you are going to have to go it solo.

Its wrong, its annoying, but it is a tool that Cryptic created to help prevent people from being abusive. Unfortunately people are abusing this feature in itself. My advice is to shrug it off, enjoy the missions or take the night off and watch a Trek film

:rolleyes:
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
    edited February 2013
    They had better fix it or I'm gonna silence everyone blowing balloons on ESD...that is more Spam than I did.
    edited February 2013
    DStahl?

How is it that the Spam report doesn't go to a GM for Action?

The Player couldn't just ignore me?

We can't kick an AFKer in an STF but anybody who had a bad day can silence other players for 24 hours?

Please explain?
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it takes ten people to silence someone, chances are you were either trolled by a group attack or you said something to TRIBBLE off a lot of people.

The "Report Spam" function is there to stop goldspammers, if a GM had to check on every one of those, it would be a lot more work for the GMs, and it would take much longer for them to stop the spammers, so it's an automatic function. You can contest a silencing by filing a GM ticket, but it's probably easier to just wait it out.

Don't just report spam other people to get back at them, it'll only result in them reciprocating, and besides, if a GM does look at it, and find that the reporting was malicious, the reporters can get an infraction.
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately your more likely a victim of in game trolling/bullying rather than because you did anything wrong per se.
    Unless you were there when it happened, you don't know that. It is also possible he repeated some annoying message over and over or was just trolling the zone chat and got ignored or reported by a lot of people.
    edited February 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    Unless you were there when it happened, you don't know that. It is also possible he repeated some annoying message over and over or was just trolling the zone chat and got ignored or reported by a lot of people.

As I said, I linked 2 Boxed Ships in Chat....nothing else.

Guilty until proven innocent?

Kudos Dan, Kudos.
  • rajathomasrajathomas Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am the victim of this 'system'. Obviously this is an ongoing problem...thanks for listening Cryptic, thanks for doing something about it cryptic :(
    izf25xI.jpg
  • rajathomasrajathomas Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is rididulous. This also blocks ALL email, I've missed messages because of this I come to find out. The people who sent you email are not even notified their message was not delivered, so they're left thinking you are ignoring them....nice. I have no doubt this feature has it's benefits, but it's POORLY designed. Is it really that difficult to exclude fleet chat and email?? PLease do this, then it would be more acceptable, even in the instances where someone get's trolled with it.
    izf25xI.jpg
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hello, I just now received a 24 hour chat ban. it had to have been automatic for spam.
    I was using a keybind that types my current target into chat while playing an STF with my fleet mates. I targeted the same thing 'n was immediately silenced. :(((
    Can you please help me out here?
    I've received chat ban's before and really am careful not to do anything to warrant another. This game ist near as much fun if you cant talk with your friends.
    My handle in game is @lake1771 'n I was playing under Tarketh Darkmount@lake1771 at the time. Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.
    edited February 2013
    how very disappointing..
    edited February 2013
    cursix wrote: »
    Question for the OP; did you speak at all in zone/local chat before that? If not, it really is a serious problem that Cryptic isn't even doing an automatic check of "Did this person even TALK?" before taking action.

Yes i'd been on for a few hours previous to this. There had been no conflict or anything else as far as I was aware of. I did put 'WTB Masterkeys' in zone chat a couple of times but it was few and spaced out over some time.
    The ban occurred during an STF run with my fleetmates,
    It had to be automatic, though I do believe there are abuses of the report feature going on as well. Namely, those from differing trade , conglomerates, if you will. vying for purchase power in esd and other zone chats.
    I.E. Someone is trying to buy masterkeys at bargain, between 1 and 1.2 million for resale on exchange, others mass report this person for spam so that they are muted, then take his place in zone chat looking for key sellers.

I was using Hilbert's space keybind, this makes it so that pressing the 't' key puts your current target into the team chat window.
    I was coordinating the attack on the final gate 'n had been all along.
    One of the players kept targeting probes, just to rib me really, which was fine, I would flood 'target > gateway' pressing 't' quickly 3 or 4 times. we would 'lol' and continue our decimation of the borg fleet. Apparently 5 times when we switched to the gateway was what did it. I was immediately silenced and furthermore absolutely demoralized. Way to kill the fun, auto ban. We were having a good time 'n there was nothing untoward going on.
    Still banned. .. 22.5 hours er so to go. :( really sux. bout to go play lotro or eve instead.
    edited February 2013
    You know, regardless of my situation, or many others, by the looks of it.
    You have a serious situation brewing with the auto ban system.

There are a number of Fleets actually implementing this right now or planning on doing it in the frenzy over the bug ships re-release.
    There are groups of people that have these instant, player controlled banhammers coordinated and planned out in order to maximize their purchasing power in various trade and zone chats.
    Its a terrible policy for any mmo, one that I would certainly hope the star trek genre wouldn't be subject to. It is however, undenialbly effective under the right circumstances. and undeniably not working as intended.
    This need addressed as soon as possible.
    edited February 2013
    There are fleets and Traders, namely buyers and sellers of Masterkeys in zone and trade chats, practicing regular and rampant abuse of this ingame silencing system.
    Someones buying keys in zone? ten reports 'n bAm, silenced. no competition.
    Its happening more and more.
    This is a serious issue that needs addressed.

I posted One time in esd ten minutes ago, WTB Master Keys, 'n was immediately silenced. Just once.
    These people should lose their ability to report if you're not going to actually fix the system itself.
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Use the exchange and/or the trade channel. I will happily report people that spam zone chat.

Problem solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    so you didn't read what I said or just chose to fit it into whatever ridiculous troll you needed it to fit into?
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I believe the OP is accusing sellers and traders of abusing the silencing system. Something about silencing the competition...or something.

Somehow I think OP was doing a bit more in zone chat besides posting a WTB for a master key. ;)
    Joined August 2009
    edited February 2013
    nice baiting comment.
    I had been running stfs 'n chatting with friends for an hour.
    Came back into zone. typed One time, WTB Masterkeys, was silenced. that was it.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll be the first to admit that zone chat is no intellectual nirvana, but it gets irritating quickly when ever third line is a recruiting ad, every fourth is someone wanting to buy or sell something for some price ridiculously different that in the exchange, and if that person is making the same identical post every 5 to 10 seconds, that is spam.
    So maybe it is a knee-jerk reaction to report someone else for making a single post that looks similar, but if gets point across that that is not what the zone chat channel is for, so be it.
    The exchange shows the price of keys that players are willing to sell them for and anyone looking to unload keys at a lower price will have already done so by underselling his competitors in the exchange, so calling out for such in chat is pointless.
    It is true that the muting function can be abused and does need a more refined process, with perhaps default trade and recruiting channels that are immune to muting, but in many cases it is serving the function it was intended for in Zone chat.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »
    There are fleets and Traders, namely buyers and sellers of Masterkeys in zone and trade chats, practicing regular and rampant abuse of this ingame silencing system.
    Someones buying keys in zone? ten reports 'n bAm, silenced. no competition.
    Its happening more and more.
    This is a serious issue that needs addressed.

I posted One time in esd ten minutes ago, WTB Master Keys, 'n was immediately silenced. Just once.
    These people should lose their ability to report if you're not going to actually fix the system itself.

So what exactly do you suggest? Zone Chat is the troll and spam Utopia of gaming. In zone chat spammers will spam, idiots will be idiots and abusers of the in-game systems will abuse. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what is put in place, people will still find away to spam or abuse privileges regardless...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
    edited February 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    The exchange shows the price of keys that players are willing to sell them for and anyone looking to unload keys at a lower price will have already done so by underselling his competitors in the exchange, so calling out for such in chat is pointless.

Its not pointless at all. People are right now making millions of ec simply buy buying keys in zone chat for 1 to 1.2 million ec and then reselling them on exchange for the going rate.
    Its business. And its very competitive, as much as it is lucrative.

Allowing players to abuse this chat system to get an edge on the market is a terrible oversight.
    This isn't the only issue, People are also spamming players with spam reports that they have issue with for one reason or another. Simply ask in your fleet, 'hey lets report this guy' 'n pOof, he's gone. its happening more and more. You can safely assume that for every chat ban u see on these forums there are ten more that don't bother to post about it 'n just go do something else instead.
    edited February 2013
    here u go.. make masterkeys bound on acquire. kill the market.
    edited February 2013
    so what, this is like the dumping ground for threads dealing with chat system abuse?
    in browsing it a bit it seems this is an issue that's even more prominent than I had thought at first.

Bump. can we get some kind of official response?
  • doktahudoktahu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a Lifer since Beta, and today, I was silenced. It happened without warning or appeal, and was unfair. I cannot speak in the game for 24 hours. I am being punished.

So I will go play another game for a while.

Please reconsider your system of automatic punishment. When it is used unfairly, it breeds resentment.