What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What can you do if you feel you're being harassed by other players abusing the ingame chat system.
    What if its a in game chat moderator who's harassing you.
    Who do you talk to? the Support links are dead 'n if you do get through no response ever comes back.

So who do you turn to?

Are you forced to retaliate?
    Treating this abuse with abuse?
    Or just give up and go spend money and time somewhere else.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »
    What can you do if you feel you're being harassed by other players abusing the ingame chat system.
    What if its a in game chat moderator who's harassing you.
    Who do you talk to? the Support links are dead 'n if you do get through no response ever comes back.

So who do you turn to?

Are you forced to retaliate?
    Treating this abuse with abuse?
    Or just give up and go spend money and time somewhere else.

I don't chat really. So I've never suffered "harrassment". What do you mean by "harrassment". Is this person just banning you? Are they typing something to you? Your question is pretty vague. If it were me, I'd just take screenshots of chat. If your not doing anything and are being "harrassed" then that would be proof. I'm sure Cryptic would know who the "moderator" is that is harrassing you(after all they have to make the person a moderator) and could act on it. JMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pegasuscic wrote: »
    I don't chat really. So I've never suffered "harrassment". What do you mean by "harrassment". Is this person just banning you? Are they typing something to you? Your question is pretty vague. If it were me, I'd just take screenshots of chat. If your not doing anything and are being "harrassed" then that would be proof. I'm sure Cryptic would know who the "moderator" is that is harrassing you(after all they have to make the person a moderator) and could act on it. JMO.

Dont be naive..you know exactly what this person is talking about. This game is full of ******* and morons, and most of them sit on ESD and find someone in chat saying something they do not agree with and then those people along with their moron friends will right click on the victims name and choose "report spam" this will place a 24 hour ALL chat ban on that player, and there is nothing they can do about it.

It is pathetic. I wish I could meet some of these folks in person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Merge/move to more quickly hide away from notice in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dont be naive..you know exactly what this person is talking about. This game is full of ******* and morons, and most of them sit on ESD and find someone in chat saying something they do not agree with and then those people along with their moron friends will right click on the victims name and choose "report spam" this will place a 24 hour ALL chat ban on that player, and there is nothing they can do about it.

It is pathetic. I wish I could meet some of these folks in person.

I honestly don't chat. For the very reasons you specify. Chatting in STFs is about all I do or with friends. I don't get involved with the idiocy in normal chat because of Cryptic's impotence or lack of caring in dealing with the trolls targeting players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The player run chat-ban mafia is working as designed as far as Cryptic goes.

At least here in STO you might have GMs which might reverse the 24 hour auto-chat-ban if you send a petition. CO sure doesn't have such a thing.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is NO reason for this system to be in place with the other options available.
    That's what ignore is for.
    We do not need players policing other players.

CRYPTIC: END THIS NOW!!
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm over it; something needs to be done about the auto-silencing system.

Any of you people willing to step up and test what the thresholds are to the system are, please PM me in game or here. let me know. I will share the results with everyone.

Enough is enough.
  • Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ... and again.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hence why they have such unstable servers now. LOVE companies like this one... -.-

PWE -- Proffit wins everything.. they need to give rights back to a REAL company, atari, cryptic, somebody?? PWE has had too much success, maybe its boycot and spam time, they obviously want money, but dont like it enough to provide any quality of service or use logic or reason in maintaining this cash cow.. They do not deserve to have any part of any star trek game, story or flame post...
  • Options
    tabzentabzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    The player run chat-ban mafia is working as designed as far as Cryptic goes.

At least here in STO you might have GMs which might reverse the 24 hour auto-chat-ban if you send a petition. CO sure doesn't have such a thing.

I can assure you the GM's will NOT do anything about it .. mostly due to the fact that it's a automated ban and they simply can't or simply won't remove it no matter how much proof of innocence is given ...

I've had this same arguement with GM's more than just once.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You know the scary part about the player-run mafia chat ban system?

The players over on Neverwinter think it's a GOOD thing.
  • Options
    akurie666akurie666 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nileight1 wrote: »
    There is NO reason for this system to be in place with the other options available.
    That's what ignore is for.
    We do not need players policing other players.

CRYPTIC: END THIS NOW!!

Agreed. It is far too dangerous a thing for a F2P community to have.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    You know the scary part about the player-run mafia chat ban system?

The players over on Neverwinter think it's a GOOD thing.

I've noticed that many of the NW players over there don't have any experience with Cryptic games. They had like what, 3 beta weekends? Yeah just wait a little bit after their launch and then you'll see threads like this pop up over there in no time. Same as it did in CO, same as it did here.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm over it; something needs to be done about the auto-silencing system.

Any of you people willing to step up and test what the thresholds are to the system are, please PM me in game or here. let me know. I will share the results with everyone.

Enough is enough.

what is it you plan to do?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i got put on Silence to day for inboxing a fleet member telling him to look up elite mission guides on fleet web site. because he never done elite before and nearly messed up optional on cse. guess he turned chat off and rest of us did not no before going in mission. any way i demoted him 3 ranks for it n put wot he did on officer comments he will be lucky to be in the fleet once i let a leader know.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    PWE -- Proffit wins everything.. they need to give rights back to a REAL company, atari, cryptic, somebody?? PWE has had too much success, maybe its boycot and spam time, they obviously want money, but dont like it enough to provide any quality of service or use logic or reason in maintaining this cash cow.. They do not deserve to have any part of any star trek game, story or flame post...
    Uh you realize Atari owned Cryptic before PWE and it's why we had a year of barely any updates, and so fourth?

PWE has put A LOT of money and resources into Cryptic Studios, STO in general, to get them to where they are now. You may not like the fact they want money, but so does ANY business and I'm very happy they purchased CS from Atari. It's flourishing because of them! :)
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    i got put on Silence to day for inboxing a fleet member telling him to look up elite mission guides on fleet web site. because he never done elite before and nearly messed up optional on cse. guess he turned chat off and rest of us did not no before going in mission. any way i demoted him 3 ranks for it n put wot he did on officer comments he will be lucky to be in the fleet once i let a leader know.
    You can't be put on silence with 1 person being upset. It takes a few more than just 1 person/report.

However, If you feel you were unfairly chat banned, File a ticket. Sure they might not be able to do anything about your 24hr ban, BUT if it really is the same group of people that continually do it after awhile the reports will reflect that and actions will be taken against them :) (Because as we all know, abusing any system is against the rules too ;))
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited April 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Uh you realize Atari owned Cryptic before PWE and it's why we had a year of barely any updates, and so fourth?

PWE has put A LOT of money and resources into Cryptic Studios, STO in general, to get them to where they are now. You may not like the fact they want money, but so does ANY business and I'm very happy they purchased CS from Atari. It's flourishing because of them! :)

You can't be put on silence with 1 person being upset. It takes a few more than just 1 person/report.

However, If you feel you were unfairly chat banned, File a ticket. Sure they might not be able to do anything about your 24hr ban, BUT if it really is the same group of people that continually do it after awhile the reports will reflect that and actions will be taken against them :) (Because as we all know, abusing any system is against the rules too ;))

i only sent one mail today + other team mates ive known for a mths and i was chatting away just fine before i sent pug fleet member mail then went back to fleet chat after i made a coffee to find i had been silenced. so probs a new bug in report spam we all know how bugs dont happen in sto. i did file a ticket on this subject.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The obvious solution to getting this changed is to make it into an actual issue: Form a group for this and just indiscriminately ban everyone. Clearly nothing will be done unless an object lesson occurs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The obvious solution to getting this changed is to make it into an actual issue: Form a group for this and just indiscriminately ban everyone. Clearly nothing will be done unless an object lesson occurs.

This would be a clear form of harassment and said users involved would ultimately be in serious trouble. Just fair warning. ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This would be a clear form of harassment and said users involved would ultimately be in serious trouble. Just fair warning. ;)

If I may present a hypothesis: all it takes for a player to be silenced would be, lets say, 5 other players. Now, if that group of 5 players can remain off the in game chat but the 'targeted player' starts chatting up the place, would it be possible, in theory, for the victim to NEVER see the people who are responsible for the chat ban?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    no, That might keep the player from knowing who reported them, but supposedly, not the GMs. This came up a while back, a lot of people were report spamming random players, and one of the GMs came out and said that if you file a ticket about being reported unfairly, they can see who reported you and potentially take action against them.

I know a lot of people here are complaining that they don't do that enough, but I think if someone made a concerted effort to attack people, they would notice.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wouldn't even really be harassment: Since merely /ignoring an offending player has exactly the same effect as reporting them, and you can't tell people who they can and cannot ignore, there would be no harassment or false reporting. There is no rule against who I can ignore: I can ignore anyone for any reason, such as the fact that I simply don't like his name and don't want to see it on my chat window anymore...and this has exactly the same effect as reporting them for spamming. This is part of the problem: That you don't actually NEED to be abusing the report system to get someone silenced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    if report spam was taken away n there was just ignore left there there could add a screen message <name> has put u on ignore. then grefers would soon learn that players wont take there TRIBBLE and people that just tryed to be helpfull would not be silenced because there tryed giving good advice on the to how do e,g cse
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    zntechzntech Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Nice nice I have question for comod. Would you ever in your life buy or used 25 yrs old car with 300000km if salesman convince you that everything is ok and that you are perfectly safe for very fast speeds (200km/h) ?
    This exactly cryptic with perfect world (PW got money because their are based in Hong Kong it means not much demanding and large number of customers) , in the future everything with this game will be "if you don like don't play" ,game is obsolete from the beginning , concept linear without any choice , without any ideas so on and on and on. After this text I will be again warned my post erased , cause i have idea that this game can be good stable(without billion of bugs) by any means better.
    In the beginning there was all and then become nothing

I AM PISSED OFF AFTER 3 YRS. I STILL CAN'T USE OR CHANGE OR DELETE OUTFIT IN 3 OF 5 OUTFIT SLOTS ON MY KLINGON TOON !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013

yea right ....a guy was silenced for a week ,everyday.He wrote and ticket and the useless support told him "we cant do nothing about that" .In this game to be banned you have to have go on esd as kdf and have fun...s*** that affect your account directly are fine ,but if you kill Ensign Lessa...then you are screwed :rolleyes:
    (Because as we all know, abusing any system is against the rules too ;))

anything that can be abused WILL be abused.That is how humans work and no rule will stop that.Is like "from no on who will use oxygen will go to jail" ....well ,many people will go to jail.

People are not in game to decide what is spam and what is not spam.Ignore should not chat ban people but it does.

To be noted : I am against of any types of ban for anyone doing anything.People should never log in a game and invest in it being under the constant threat of ban for X or Y (some people are trollish...and like to TRIBBLE others ,thast their game style or way to get fun and I dont mind that aslong they dont have the tools to ban my account for X hours ).When this exploitable system will be fixed no one will abuse it thus no one will have to be "banned " or whatever punnishement for exploits is.
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well it happened to me last night... Someone was making out they needed help in tribble with ships and what to do, like the good person I am I decided to try and help, next thing I know I have this message saying I cannot post for 24 hours!!

First thing why 24 hours, second thing why punish the people that have done nothing wrong...

I sent in countless tickets to CRAPTIC, and nothing... I have Branflakes email addy, again NOTHING!

However I have got round it by chatting to my fleet through message of the day! It makes them laugh..

This does need to be removed, ignoring people is all you need to do, giving the person a 24 hour chat ban is crazy...

I could rant on here all day long, however I am just getting more fed up with the game day by day.

Servers keep dropping people, and now a ban for helping someone, this is not what good looks like!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just keep saying to yourself:

"Working as designed."

This is the answer we got when last time Cryptic talked to us over in CO like 9 months ago. And they absolutely will not remove it. Despite it being used as a way to harass people.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hopped on real quick to check my DOFF missions. And i accidentally linked the console i got from a mission in ZONE twice and was silenced for it. The BUG is the fact if you log into another character fleet chat doesnt show up in yer list of chat channels. You have to manually RESET everything. NOW I AM SILENCED FOR LINKING THE ITEM TWICE NOT KNOWING I WAS DOING IT IN ZONE. YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO FIX THAT STUPID THING OR I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY THIS GAME ANYMORE OR SPEND MY MONEY ON IT.

Really, you guys and as GM's and Whatever you do, need to read our ticketsl, and investigate why someone was silenced, and let them be un-silnced for such a STUPID reason.

And before anybody goes off on WHY this happens, please, keep in mind this is my thousand fricken time being silenced for this, i run a fleet, i cannot be silenced for such stupid reasons. IT is going to drive my WALLET, and TIME to another COMPANY and game.

AND PLEASE DONT TELL ME TO SUBMIT A TICKET TO SUPPORT. UN SILENCE ME!
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First off: lose the caps. It doesn't help your case.

Secondly: it was your fellow players who put you on ignore, triggering the silence. Were they overzealous for something as trivial as linking an item twice in zone chat? Yes, absolutely.

Thirdly: while GMs can theoretically do something about it, the silence lasts 24 hours and it seems that it is almost always over before they can do an investigation on it.

Many, many people have had the same thing happen to them and it is very frustrating. I definitely sympathize. There have been a number of solutions offered to the devs such as only silencing from zone, local, and subscribed channels, but not fleet, friends, mails, or private tells. Hopefully the devs will do something about this in the near future.

If you want to ensure that something is going to fleet chat, type /fleet before your message.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)