What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    When has there ever been a "quick and sensible fix" in this game, the chat mute is there because some "genius" thought it was a "good" idea, and like most of these "good" ideas they are not going to be quick to admit they dropped the ball.
    So far the only things I've seen changed quickly are things that either crash the server or look like it will cause a mass exodus, other than that things take a very long time to get sorted out.
    Many fleets and player groups are using Teamspeak or some other app to communicate for very good reasons not least of which is it is outside of the systems messed up automatics.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have this happen to me. Routinely. A small clique of griefers randomly decide to spam report me and I can't even mail myself doffs for 24 hours. I rarely even speak in public channels and much of the time it comes out of the blue.

PWE refuses to answer the many tickets I've raised, except to threaten me when I posted chatlogs showing I had done nothing on the forums.

It's a serious abuse and PWE does nothing about it.

The most we see done is some PWE employees and consultants posting in this thread trying to argue it's not a problem, that PWE has no control over the design of its own game, that ever, or "three cheers for the PWE guy" (lol). Pathetic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've been in this game since August 2010. I pay a bunch of money for this game as well. I talk about something in ESD zone chat and this Reigh@olivia12342345234 or whatever chick get's me silenced for 24 hours because instead of saying SELLING [ITEM NOBODY CARES ABOUT] I give a link to my facebook fanpage. Cryptic fix this system or ****ing get rid it.

My name is B-Money@DecadeComplete

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've been in this game since August 2010. I pay a bunch of money for this game as well. I talk about something in ESD zone chat and this Reigh@olivia12342345234 or whatever chick get's me silenced for 24 hours because instead of saying SELLING [ITEM NOBODY CARES ABOUT] I give a link to my facebook fanpage. Cryptic fix this system or ****ing get rid it.

My name is B-Money@DecadeComplete

First off, my name is Reign@Olivia211.

Second, it seems that you got a ton of people annoyed at your spamming. I very rarely report people and the only time I do is if they are seriously harassing me...like creating another account because I ignored their other one kind of stuff. And yes, that has happened to me.

I suggest you getting your facts straight instead of just assuming it was me and me alone. It takes 5 people reporting you to get a 24 hour chat ban. To point the finger at me is rather childish. Yes, I politely asked you to stop spamming and for that you laughed at me, and now you are calling me names. To be honest, I didn't even put you on my ignore list in game.

If you want to be angry at me, there is little i can do about that. If you want to think I somehow single handedly got you a chat ban, go ahead. If i report people, I am adult enough to own up to it. Maybe this chat ban just shows that I am not the only one you were annoying with your spams. Perhaps take a lesson from this?
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The kicker is, if this happens often enough to one user that user can suffer a FULL ban, not just a chat ban.

THAT would be a grievous abuse of this feature.

Imagine a Lifer who pays every month to get new ships, features and other things.

Someone sees this player in 900 day bling and gets his friends to mas silence the lifer.

THe lifer fiels their complaint, gets told that there's nothing that can be done.

Ban lifts, Lifer goes about his business.

Griefer does it again.

And again and again until the lifer gets banned.

What happens?

An investigation? Probably not. The lifer is now out $300 and whatever else he/she has sunk into the game, all because of a ****ing troll abusing the system.

As a Library Security Guard once told a unruly patron, " enforced free time and anger." lead to datamining, breaking news stories at 11pm about " the gang violence at our doorstep" and sudden trips to non extradition countries.

Such examples as you provide will bring out the crazy in people. Maybe not the first time it happens, maybe not even the second time, but eventualy considereding the money some people have spent somebody would snap and a knew bit of the gory sad side of Star trek is created.

Nobody wants that, especially Cryptic.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    there is an issue with mic to have it turned off in opions but shows 2 bars and can't close them off
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have one person on my ignore list (that a**** and his fleet silenced me because I said by mistake " Hi" in zone chat and that really annoyed me) but normaly I dont ignore (using the game function thingy) anyone not even if they insult me because most people will troll and I dont think trolling is against zone chat rules so what I dont like it cant be spam for zone chat...it may be spam for me but not for the zone chat ....I do not own the zone chat or any other chat to decide what is spam and what is not.

I......

you are not allowed to give handles on the forum.It would have been an paradox to get banned here too for doing that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    olivia211 wrote: »
    First off, my name is Reign@Olivia211.

Second, it seems that you got a ton of people annoyed at your spamming. I very rarely report people and the only time I do is if they are seriously harassing me...like creating another account because I ignored their other one kind of stuff. And yes, that has happened to me.

I suggest you getting your facts straight instead of just assuming it was me and me alone. It takes 5 people reporting you to get a 24 hour chat ban. To point the finger at me is rather childish. Yes, I politely asked you to stop spamming and for that you laughed at me, and now you are calling me names. To be honest, I didn't even put you on my ignore list in game.

If you want to be angry at me, there is little i can do about that. If you want to think I somehow single handedly got you a chat ban, go ahead. If i report people, I am adult enough to own up to it. Maybe this chat ban just shows that I am not the only one you were annoying with your spams. Perhaps take a lesson from this?

Basically you're admitting to it being a messed up system and using it to your advantage.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Basically you're admitting to it being a messed up system and using it to your advantage.

That's why I look at this and laugh about it...because I never reported you. After I asked you to stop and you laughed, I went off and did a foundry mission, then logged to check out the new posts here and found this. Yeah, you annoyed me, but it appears that you annoyed enough people to get silenced.

Like I said though. Think what you want. It doesn't bother me any. I don't like for anyone to get in trouble which is why, like I said, I rarely report. Only in extreme instances and your spamming was hardly extreme to me.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    olivia211 wrote: »
    That's why I look at this and laugh about it....

This whole thread has been comedy gold for the past 3 months.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Every time I see one of these 'I got chatbanned for nothing' posts the 'victim' describes the events in such paranoid language that I simply cannot believe their version of events.

Seems far more likely that the OP was mouthing off in local, spamming trade requests, or similar and annoyed enough people to get a chatban. System is working correctly.

Now if only Cryptic could link it to a similar 24 hour forum ban then we wouldn't have to put up with these threads.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Every time I see one of these 'I got chatbanned for nothing' posts the 'victim' describes the events in such paranoid language that I simply cannot believe their version of events.

Seems far more likely that the OP was mouthing off in local, spamming trade requests, or similar and annoyed enough people to get a chatban. System is working correctly.

Now if only Cryptic could link it to a similar 24 hour forum ban then we wouldn't have to put up with these threads.

cant see where it says you are not allowed to post trade requests or any other zone chat rules or FAQ.

What you dont like is spam for YOU not for others thus you should not be allowed to use the system to ban people just because you dont like something.

You probably troll here and ask people to get banned.Im not saying trolls should get banned in chat or forum because you probably know that compared to zone chat trolling on forums is agains the rules.
  • Options
    c0lmustardc0lmustard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Just want to add input from the "other side of the coin."

Reported a person using foul, abusive, derrogatory language in chat. They were speaking of "solving" the issue of pregnancy by "punching the woman in the uterus." I quoted what they said (copy/paste) and reported to GM. Their name was "FIST DEEP". :rolleyes:

Nothing. Not a word, not a response. That person was (is?) still parading their warped ideals hours later. I ignored them the next day when I saw nothing had been done.

So TL;DR

Groups of organized malicious users can have ANYONE banned simply by exploiting the system.

But a person who files a legit gripe gets nothing.

And hey wouldn't you know?! Just like I've said in other threads that get this long.

NO OFFICIAL WORD FROM PWE/CRYPTIC ABOUT THE MATTER.

Go figure :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    c0lmustard wrote: »

NO OFFICIAL WORD FROM PWE/CRYPTIC ABOUT THE MATTER.

Go figure :rolleyes:

Expecting Cryptic to do anything, is a waste of energy. I know from first hand experience, that it will not be adressed in a timely manner. Tickets by multiple people, multiple days, multiple times... Nothing

They have no support in game

and to the CM who said the ignore list rolls off. our ignorre list, has no limits......

The solution to the problem will cost them money, and therefore will not be done, Plain and simple. If it costs them, No. if it costs you.. definately.
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
  • Options
    wildchild8wildchild8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hey guys!

Ive a major issue....

First of all my PublicEliteSTF channel info thread gets closed despite the fact it was being posted to...

then today i log in and im SILENCED! what gives? I was on this morning 6am GMT and no issues, I wasnt even chatting only with fleet mates and running stf's so I cant imagine me getting silenced over that, plus my chat was working before I logged off.

today I log on and im silenced straight off, 22hours till its lifted.... how am I silenced and I WASNT EVEN ONLINE!!

PLEASE HELP! SORT IT OUT! WHAT GIVES?

Thanks and appreciated...

@wildchild8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.elitedefensestarfleet.com

/channel_join PublicEliteSTF
    PublicEliteSTF Channel Info: bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFV2
    WE WANT A KDF BOP 3 PACK!!
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey Wild!

Sounds like a bunch of morons thought it'd be fun to report you (for spamming or something I guess) - unfortunately you're guilty until proven innocent and this is frequently used by griefers on completely innocent individuals (a friend of mine got a 24 hour mute too recently).

Hope you get it resolved!
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    wildchild8wildchild8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am aware of people doing that. But my issue is... I log in and I'm silenced straight off. timers already at 22 hours.... so I was silenced two hours before I even logged on.... how do I get silenced when IM NOT ONLINE....VERY CONFUSING...! :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.elitedefensestarfleet.com

/channel_join PublicEliteSTF
    PublicEliteSTF Channel Info: bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFV2
    WE WANT A KDF BOP 3 PACK!!
  • Options
    admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This chat ban stuff really needs to be fixed. I'm losing respect for STO over it as I've been targeted and Zone chat? Just going to turn it completely off. People are wrongfully reported, targeted like it's a game within a game. I really wish Cryptic would fix this. Automated Chat Silencing should NOT get someone banned from the game in ANY eventuality!!!

Will cryptic listen to their community and consider an alternative to wrongful chat bans, wrongful game bans? Will they care to make a change and implement a true report button that actually reports to a human being? What about reporting being left for SERIOUS stuff? Like people telling me to commit suicide? Saying they're @#$%ing my Mom? Not just spam, spam isn't justifiably bannable. The IGNORE feature works for this.

To see you guys make modifications to Season 7 was nice, to see this issue go unchecked for what appears to be months and months? Is to be honest kind of sickening; but I have to cut you guys slack in my mind because it seems you guys try. I just hope that you somehow find a different way to manage this besides auto-banning upon a set parameter. Which seems cold, and reflects poorly on the game too.

I've invested a lot of money into this game and to think I could be chat banned and eventually banned from the game because a bunch of griefers target me? Disappointing.
  • Options
    mjaymor78mjaymor78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, I know gettting silenced really $uck$, but Cryptic will never remove the system. Because it keeps Gold Spammers from entering Zone Chat again.

Since this thread was started I have not used zone or local chat at all and haven't been silenced once, but it maybe because I use 12th Chat, one of the several other chat channels, and/or TeamSpeak 3 more than anything else.

I would say stop using their system and they my improve it, but after saying that I can't stop laughing.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I'm going to stop using zone chat or reading it, I'll be disabling it completely + local.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've invested a lot of money into this game and to think I could be chat banned and eventually banned from the game because a bunch of griefers target me? Disappointing.

As far as I know, chat bans and forum bans have nothing to do with game bans. You pretty much have to threaten to kill somebody, do something illegal, or something equally villainous to get a game ban.

Chat bans aren't permanent as far as I've heard and they don't affect the forums here. You could be Ignored permanently, but that's on a player-by-player basis.

Repeated infractions on the forums, or serious ones, can get you permabanned here but most people have to work at it. And even then that doesn't automatically result in a game ban.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    As far as I know, chat bans and forum bans have nothing to do with game bans.9
    As far as you know being the important word here. I have not been online enough to really comment on this, but if there is even the slightest truth to what is being said, then PWE should be nominated for single most brain-dead decision ever (though they may get it anyway for implementing the system in the first place).
    Chat bans aren't permanent as far as I've heard
    That isn't the point. The point is your putting the power to mute someone from the entire game in the hands of malcontents and griefers, do you realise the sheer stupidity of that?

Let me give you a scenario I know perfectly well will constantly happen with this system. Imagine a group of RPers are RPing in DS9, no-one else is in that instance and theres plenty of other instances to go to if someone who doesn't like RP stumbles upon them.

Sounds simple enough right? But with this system, heres whats actually going to happen.

Now lets say some guy with some irrational hatred of RP (like a member of Starfleet Dental) comes upon this lot and decides he wants to cause them grief, so what does he do? Before the system, he'd just shout and berate the RPers or spam some annoying flashy thing at them, which could be easily ignored. But now with the system, he can call on his other Rp hating buddies and get them to mass-report the RPers, silencing them from each other for the rest of the day and bringing that RP to a close.

Congratulations, you've killed RP and alienated every RPer in your playerbase (myself included). They dont even have to hate RP, they could do it just because they're angry at something or they could have been aiming for another option and hit the wrong one accidentally.

Hell, they could simply be bored and just done it for the hell of it. Tell me how this is a good idea? From what possible angle does this benefit us? Goldsellers was the last excuse wasn't it? Have you seen ESD Zone? Absolutely no Goldsellers to be seen. Its all debates between idiots, and anyone who isn't interested or wants to just laugh at the stupid people have already turned off Zone.

Which genius thought that this monumental sack of Targ excrement was a good idea? He is clearly unfit for work.
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My post was intended to reassure people that they will NOT be banned from playing the game simply because they get silenced in chat, or got an infraction on the forums.

Obviously I can't speak officially because I am not a Dev or even a PWE employee, but I have enough knowledge of how the forums work and what we've been publicly told here on the forums that I can say there's no such thing as getting booted from the game because of something somebody else did.

I can also say with a high degree of confidence that game accounts don't get blown away on a whim, and that anybody who does get a game ban probably worked hard at getting one.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My post was intended to reassure people that they will NOT be banned from playing the game simply because they get silenced in chat, or got an infraction on the forums.

Obviously I can't speak officially because I am not a Dev or even a PWE employee, but I have enough knowledge of how the forums work and what we've been publicly told here on the forums that I can say there's no such thing as getting booted from the game because of something somebody else did.

I can also say with a high degree of confidence that game accounts don't get blown away on a whim, and that anybody who does get a game ban probably worked hard at getting one.

Thats nice and all, but you completely avoided the main point of my post.
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thats nice and all, but you completely avoided the main point of my post.

I understood your point. I'm not interested in defending or destroying the current chat silencing system. I believe there's room to change it without totally getting rid of it.

I have always maintained that silencing should only affect public chat. It should never apply to fleet or team chat, and tells are already protected by the ignore feature.

I also feel that a 24 hour silence right off the bat is not ideal. If they're going to use an automated system to silence spammers, they need to start out with shorter periods and only increase them if the person keeps getting reported.

And I feel that there needs to be some measure of accountability built into the system. Nobody should be able to report another player on a whim or as a way of griefing them without some way of holding them accountable for that. It should NOT be dead easy to do on an impulse. I'd even support the idea of a confirmation message that comes up that points out how the submitter is accountable for this action and asking if they're really sure they want to submit the report.

I have also brought up the idea that an automated penalty system calls for an automated "grace" system. Give everybody a chance to play a "Get Out Of Jail" card once a month or something.

So you see the reason I'm not addressing your other points is because I'm just another player as far as the game is concerned. I can't influence how the silencing system works any more than I already have, except to reiterate my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

bluegeek those are some positive ideas; though I can't agree with an automated system influenced by # of reports. Or judged by other players. The automated system assumes the community has intelligence which has been gravely over-estimated due to some bad apples or not educated players thinking it's a legit way to "joke" around.

I think a # of messages per minute might prove more effective in this manner for true spam. As for talking politics/religion etc there should be channels dedicated to it since it wont go away. Places for it to be acceptable for interested parties whilst it not being acceptable on Zone chat.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    admiralthorr360, I get where you're coming from.

I just don't believe that PWE will remove the automated system because there's no way they have a CS or GM staff big enough to police chat on a global basis.

Going on that assumption, all I'm left with is to propose ways to make it less unfair and less griefable.

Rate limiting isn't much of a solution either. Real spammers are smart enough to figure out what the rate limit is and stay under it. Rate limiting affects everybody and it would end up being more annoying for more people than even the spam is.
  • Options
    kyrandmankyrandman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Now lets say some guy with some irrational hatred of RP (like a member of Starfleet Dental) comes upon this lot and decides he wants to cause them grief, so what does he do? Before the system, he'd just shout and berate the RPers or spam some annoying flashy thing at them, which could be easily ignored. But now with the system, he can call on his other Rp hating buddies and get them to mass-report the RPers, silencing them from each other for the rest of the day and bringing that RP to a close.

Congratulations, you've killed RP and alienated every RPer in your playerbase (myself included). They dont even have to hate RP, they could do it just because they're angry at something or they could have been aiming for another option and hit the wrong one accidentally.

Hell, they could simply be bored and just done it for the hell of it. Tell me how this is a good idea? From what possible angle does this benefit us? Goldsellers was the last excuse wasn't it? Have you seen ESD Zone? Absolutely no Goldsellers to be seen. Its all debates between idiots, and anyone who isn't interested or wants to just laugh at the stupid people have already turned off Zone.

Which genius thought that this monumental sack of Targ excrement was a good idea? He is clearly unfit for work.

I apologize for the thread derail, but as a member of Starfleet Dental, I feel offended by such statements made in this post that single our fleet out for doing such horrible actions. Our fleet does not condone, nor engage in such actions as abusing the report spam feature to silence people, nor do we have a hatred of Role-Playing either. Now if someone from our fleet is engaging in such actions, please feel free to notify an officer of Starfleet Dental with evidence asap so we can take appropriate action.

I do apologize for the derail, but I hope I've answered any myths that have been created about our fleet.