Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »
    There are fleets and Traders, namely buyers and sellers of Masterkeys in zone and trade chats, practicing regular and rampant abuse of this ingame silencing system.
    Someones buying keys in zone? ten reports 'n bAm, silenced. no competition.
    Its happening more and more.
    This is a serious issue that needs addressed.

I posted One time in esd ten minutes ago, WTB Master Keys, 'n was immediately silenced. Just once.
    These people should lose their ability to report if you're not going to actually fix the system itself.

So what exactly do you suggest? Zone Chat is the troll and spam Utopia of gaming. In zone chat spammers will spam, idiots will be idiots and abusers of the in-game systems will abuse. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what is put in place, people will still find away to spam or abuse privileges regardless...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    The exchange shows the price of keys that players are willing to sell them for and anyone looking to unload keys at a lower price will have already done so by underselling his competitors in the exchange, so calling out for such in chat is pointless.

Its not pointless at all. People are right now making millions of ec simply buy buying keys in zone chat for 1 to 1.2 million ec and then reselling them on exchange for the going rate.
    Its business. And its very competitive, as much as it is lucrative.

Allowing players to abuse this chat system to get an edge on the market is a terrible oversight.
    This isn't the only issue, People are also spamming players with spam reports that they have issue with for one reason or another. Simply ask in your fleet, 'hey lets report this guy' 'n pOof, he's gone. its happening more and more. You can safely assume that for every chat ban u see on these forums there are ten more that don't bother to post about it 'n just go do something else instead.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    here u go.. make masterkeys bound on acquire. kill the market.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    so what, this is like the dumping ground for threads dealing with chat system abuse?
    in browsing it a bit it seems this is an issue that's even more prominent than I had thought at first.

Bump. can we get some kind of official response?
  • Options
    doktahudoktahu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a Lifer since Beta, and today, I was silenced. It happened without warning or appeal, and was unfair. I cannot speak in the game for 24 hours. I am being punished.

So I will go play another game for a while.

Please reconsider your system of automatic punishment. When it is used unfairly, it breeds resentment.
  • Options
    tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We all feel real sorry for you.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Been there so many times. Arseholes in ESD are the main cause.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im sorry what? Just because you pay suddenly makes you immune to the rules?

Clearly there are two sides to the story here, otherwise you wouldn't have been silenced in the first place.
  • Options
    doktahudoktahu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This being an internet forum, I fully expected to be doubted. But let me assure you that I was silenced unfairly.

I mention that I am a Lifer to show that I am dedicated to Star Trek Online, and that I only offer this constructive criticism for the good of the game:

I warn the Devs that unjust punishment will upset players, and risks alienating good customers. Any time you drive someone to another game, you risk losing that customer for months, if not permanently.

I strongly advise that only GMs should be able to punish players.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    doktahu wrote: »
    This being an internet forum, I fully expected to be doubted. But let me assure you that I was silenced unfairly.

I mention that I am a Lifer to show that I am dedicated to Star Trek Online, and that I only offer this constructive criticism for the good of the game:

I warn the Devs that unjust punishment will upset players, and risks alienating good customers. Any time you drive someone to another game, you risk losing that customer for months, if not permanently.

I strongly advise that only GMs should be able to punish players.

This been here since the game started, and ESD is still full of Spam...seems like they still come.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Member, Banned Users Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rovakiin wrote: »

Clearly there are two sides to the story here, otherwise you wouldn't have been silenced in the first place.

Mmm. The other side to the story is, this chat system is shared by all of Cryptic's games, including the upcoming Neverwinter.

The sad fact is....it takes all of fifteen people ignoring you to silence you. And in Champions Online, groups have gotten together to do just that.

The sad fact is...if you use general zone chat....you are subject to chat banning. Because these nimrods in CO can see, and affect other games. And let's not mention that such power should never be in the hands of players in the first place. This is Cryptic taking the lazy road out and not wanting to spend time policing chat and enforcing rules.

This has been going on in CO for....*alt-tabs to check their forums*...at least since 2011. Players there have been complaining for that time to get it addressed...but to no avail. The answer -WE- got was, "it's hard baked into the chat system and can't be changed or removed".

But then, CO is the redheaded stepchild in Cryptic's stables...so if you lot got together and protested loudly for long enough...maybe it'd get changed.

One can hope.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This really has gotten out of hand. I was chatting along with everyone else in ESD, and with no warning or cause, I'm silenced. No idea why. The only thing I can think if is that I ignored a spammer a few minutes earlier, mentioned it, and it was a retaliatory strike.
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This really has gotten out of hand. I was chatting along with everyone else in ESD, and with no warning or cause, I'm silenced. No idea why. The only thing I can think if is that I ignored a spammer a few minutes earlier, mentioned it, and it was a retaliatory strike.

As mentioned it takes so many people to ignore you or report you as spam before you get silenced. I doubt it was a single person.

More than likely a group of people just didn't like what you may have said or disagreed with you on something or you were a target of griefing by a large group of people.

On an unrelated topic to one of the mods here... I knew I was right that "Ignore" worked to silence you as well... I know, I have been a victim remember? (LOL its all good. :D)
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?

Obviously you have more going on than someone simply griefing you. If you know who griefed you simply /ignore them, it works wonders -- they can't report you for spam nor harass you further. If you know who their friends are, /ignore them too.

The problem is, I've seen too many people get "ticked off" in cheat over the smallest thing and start spamming in all caps the same thing over and over again. People get tired of seeing it and /spam it, after about 10 /spams you get that little ban you're talking about. However, if you're banned simply from typing one or two things in cheat that aren't advertisements or links, you can simply contact support and they will lift the ban and ban those whom abused the system -- I've seen it happen already. However if you're fleet spamming, linking "WTS TRIBBLE-gear-here", or "SHUT UP!" over and over again, you can expect a prompt silence as I would expect nothing less were it me.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't spamming anything.
    Abuse they call the Mute cannon is spreading. are you going to do anything about it?
    anything at all?
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Um, were you discussing anything in chat not related to STO game mechanics?

It's simple, don't socialize in zone chat.

If you keep getting chat banned, chances are you are annoying and have captured the attention of the chat police ;) They may be doing us a favor.
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    asassinx0asassinx0 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rofl you realise they dont just see a name and think "oh chatban him/her!!"

I have never seen or heard of any of my friends getting chatbanned for simply having fun...even in zone chat...

Keep the chat normal and dont use profanities and you will not be hit by the supposed mute cannon.

Greetings

AsassinX0
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    yea back to the graveyard.
    great customer service.
    not another dime man. not one.
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Few GMs or Devs (if possible) chat banned when using zone chat would make them see the S*** system and realize why is not good to let people exploit one of the main things in MMO ...if you cant chat you cant call it MMO.

I dont think you can play a game when you under the constant threat of ban.If you do x you get banned ,if you do y you get banned ...ffs ,move the server from north korea .I hope as the game grows and more and more people get chat banned ( you get fleet and mail banned too ...you cant even see who bought your s*** on exchange) cryptic will make time to either remove the chat from the game or fix all exploits.
    asassinx0 wrote: »
    I have never seen or heard of any of my friends getting chatbanned for simply having fun...even in zone chat..

I never seen polar bears.They clearly dont exist.
    asassinx0 wrote: »
    Keep the chat normal and dont use profanities and you will not be hit by the supposed mute cannon.

yea ,Im sure of that.Maybe you want to share in game handle to see if thats true.

btw you forgot to tell where it says in the chat rules you cant use profanities.It has a filter for that ....USE IT!
    rovakiin wrote: »

yea those big red rules in the chat sytem.That is right before you post the first time in chat *facepalm*
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    This been here since the game started, and ESD is still full of Spam...seems like they still come.

since when "what I dont like" is spam?
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I was minding my own business talking with my fleet mates and abruptly got the message "You have been silenced, you can chat again in 24 hours"

Any way I can get this undone?
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, unfortunately you cannot! Ultimately you have been a victim of trolling, online abuse, whatever you want to call it. Log a complaint but inevitably there is nothing crypticwill do to resolve this within the 24hr period.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Betcha the dev's'd fix it immediately if one of them got silenced.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    And now for a really annoying and actual bug related to this: While silenced, you don't receive mail. Including mail from the exchange notifying you of selling your items, OR WHEN YOUR ITEMS EXPIRE.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yep. I got hit with the mute cannon a couple weeks ago. I got a reply to my ticket a week later.
  • Options
    kane53kane53 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i got hit with it a year ago and they still havent fixed it now everytime i chat with someone they say that i have them on ignore witch i dont and i cant even see what other ppl are sayin in normal chat anymore
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ok, 24 hour mute. I was having a civilized conversation in the chat channel DOFFJOBS.
    Noone buying or selling, no fighting. I hadn't even chatted for more than ten minutes all day today 'n now this.

So what? There is no recourse for the player now?
    This cyber bullying is allowed to continue unchecked?

Has this become part of the game now? Because if it has, I swear every person that has ever said a cross word to me ingame will be waiting 24 hours to apologize.

I know some mod will move this to the graveyard for these threads where it will continue to go unaddressed.

Right now you have 'pvp' fleets doing this in retaliation for getting beat.
    You have trade groups doing this to eliminate competition in various zone chats.
    You have trolls doing this for no other reason than to make people angry.

This is not speculation, this is fact. They laugh and joke about how so 'n so muted who and how much 'nerd rage' they caused.

How is this acceptable?
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Happens all the time sadly. Sadly there is simply no way to appeal a chat ban like this simply due to GM responses being too slow/non-existent.

You know when things are getting out of hand when people place chat ban bounties on the heads of others. I've seen it done, I've been the victim of said bounties and I believe that it still goes on in some quarters of this community.

I wouldn't have such a problem with this automated system if there were a real method of appealing a chat ban.

Also it would be a good idea for a player who has been reported for spam to get a fly-in message saying "someone has reported you for spamming." No names, just a notification that someone, somewhere has reported you for spamming and that you should either shut up or watch what you say. Suddenly getting a message in the system tab of my chatbox saying "you have been silenced" is not fun.

Another thought. Why not place in a marker of some kind on people who have been hit with these chat bans? Perhaps an emote of some kind, just so friends can see the fate that has befallen you. Saves trying to get a message across to fleeties by spamming the MOTD!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sadly, this is rather common. The Devs and/or managers don't give a rat's hind end about cyber bullying, whether it is in chat, character names, or abusive use of game weaknesses (such as spawn camping). While naming and shaming is usually a very effective way to empower players who wish to police themselves, the practice brings swift ire and retribution. Hence, we the players are at this impass.