Why can't Archers Use Daggers?

Options
ArcDivine - Sanctuary
ArcDivine - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how come sins get to use bows and xbows and yet archers are not allowed to use daggers.
Can someone explain the logic there? and please don't say its to keep archers from PVPing with daggers, i've already been told that several timesb:chuckle
also state your opinion
Post edited by ArcDivine - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    bcuz pwi hates the best DD class
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archer's are a ranged class, so u dont need daggers.

Clerics should be able to use bows so lower the dex rating please PW.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • ArcDivine - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    sins are a melle class why do they need bows? so what i wanna run round and use daggers for a bit, why can't i?
  • Xeiren - Heavens Tear
    Xeiren - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Since when can assassins equip crossbows? And btw, everyone can equip a bow, just none can utilize it as well as the archer.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but how come sins get to use bows and xbows and yet archers are not allowed to use daggers.
    Can someone explain the logic there? and please don't say its to keep archers from PVPing with daggers, i've already been told that several timesb:chuckle
    also state your opinion

Because Archers are.... well... Archers. They use Slingshots, Crossbows and Bows. Sins can only use Daggers to activate their skills, so even when they use a bow, it is only using a portion of their ability and none of their skills.

Archers on the other hand can use most of their skills for any of the three types of weapons they can use. You have three types to play with. Sins have one. Daggers.

Nuff said.

~Saitada
  • ArcDivine - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    my bad about the xbow bit, didn't know, i give up
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

Actually, we are ranged but it would be nice if we could use daggers for mobs we can't knock back.
    Since when can assassins equip crossbows? And btw, everyone can equip a bow, just none can utilize it as well as the archer.

I don't think any other class should be able to equip a weapon that isn't meant for them. Veno's shouldn't be able to equip dual axes if archers can't equip daggers!.
  • Dark_Umbra - Lost City
    Dark_Umbra - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Greetings

I belive Archers should be able to use daggers, it would provide a good melee alternative should the enemy get too close. Also, their high dexterity would enable them to do decent damage with it. I think they would have made the daggers and soul spheres available to all, however due to the unique way each weapon is weilded the developers would have had to make new animations for all the other classes. So it may become possible later on, I don't know.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

not like hes saying dagger's req should be lowered so other classes can use them. bad comparison
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    didn't you make the exact same thread in the archer forum?

but anyway archers don't NEED daggers, want to equip them to have fun, just go make a sin as an alt for fun

and as a melee alternative for when mobs get close? you have 5 skills that do full damage if you let a mob get too close
    you also have frost arrow and knock back arrow
  • Pot_Head - Harshlands
    Pot_Head - Harshlands Posts: 701 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    bcuz pwi hates the best DD class

wiz is betta imob:surrender
  • Sjuggs - Lost City
    Sjuggs - Lost City Posts: 617 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Well... Blademasters are supossed to be "masters" of all meele weapons but they cant use daggers also b:surrender
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Actually, we are ranged but it would be nice if we could use daggers for mobs we can't knock back.

Doesn't matter your an archer you want daggers that bad make an assassin if not stick with your archer.
    not like hes saying dagger's req should be lowered so other classes can use them. bad comparison

I was actually being sarcastic, clerics don't need bows any more than archers need daggers or a barb needs a wand.

@Pot_Head: Sorry i have to agree with Hemoglobin, i love archers and always take one with me and if they should unfortunately get agro i have time to heal them and not have to watch a party wipe, mass of carnage, alot of monaing or have to try and time in a ress.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    simple answer is archers dont need daggers. ull do less dmg with them then a sin can do because of lack of self buffs and using ur bows will do more dmg anyway. i still have no idea why someone would want and use another classes weapon knowing it will just make them weaker vs using there own classes weaponb:surrender

and if u want to melee THAT bad on ur archer then get some fists/claws. the closest ull ever get to using a dagger without actually using a dagger.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    no realistically you don't need to depend on skills in long term DDing on a boss, especially with assassin's cast times. it'll be like DDing with a ranged wep, except you get to spark more often because with daggers you attack faster.

i'm rooting for archers to be able to use a melee weapon their level with damage based on DEX because demon sparking with that would let you deal damage so fast on a boss, especially if stacking -interval gear. way more than a ranged wep b:chuckle
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • Rumble - Harshlands
    Rumble - Harshlands Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's because as an archer yo can't utilize any of your skills unless a bow is equipped. You can't stun an opponent in PvP with a dagger because daggers don't shoot arrows.........

A better question would be can psychics use other magic weapons and why can't say clerics, wizards and venos use magic orbs. I mean it channels magic. Should be the same. It would be nice to allow some versatility (and yes here I would agree a fist BM should be allowed to use a dagger and have it work with skills) so not everyone is running around with the same gear.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    you know some dex based bms have a bow for fun; this dude wields lunar claws: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=573861

they can't use skills on those either.
  • _vincent - Dreamweaver
    _vincent - Dreamweaver Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers are meant to be RANGED physical DDs so using daggers wouldn't really make sense. Taking the req off of Daggers would kind of make sense but I don't really see a reason why (considering how Archers can still use fists).
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers have 2 hands.

Hands have fingers which are capable of grasping objects and it certainly appears as if they should be capable of holding a knife, but they are not.

For those of you saying "because archers cant use skills with daggers", why is it that other classes can use bows? Is it a bug for other classes to use bows since their class wasnt designed for ranged physical attack?

The thing is archers don't do most of their damage with skills. High end archers stack -attack interval and have skills to boost their attack rate, damage, and crit.

Why do archers then want to be able to wield daggers? It's because most of an archers damage is cut by 50% at close range. Archers do have some melee skills but they are slow, drain tons of MP, and don't do much damage (especially since archers don't stack -channeling gear). A dagger whose damage depends on dex would be great in some situations.

A dagger makes as much sense for an archer to wield as it makes sense for other classes to use bows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers have 2 hands.

Hands have fingers which are capable of grasping objects and it certainly appears as if they should be capable of holding a knife, but they are not.

For those of you saying "because archers cant use skills with daggers", why is it that other classes can use bows? Is it a bug for other classes to use bows since their class wasnt designed for ranged physical attack?

The thing is archers don't do most of their damage with skills. High end archers stack -attack interval and have skills to boost their attack rate, damage, and crit.

Why do archers then want to be able to wield daggers? It's because most of an archers damage is cut by 50% at close range. Archers do have some melee skills but they are slow, drain tons of MP, and don't do much damage (especially since archers don't stack -channeling gear). A dagger whose damage depends on dex would be great in some situations.

A dagger makes as much sense for an archer to wield as it makes sense for other classes to use bows.
    By your argument, Wizards, with their vast amount of knowledge, should logically be able to have figured out a way to manipulate the minds of those around them, as they can already Force their Will.

Thus, I say that Wizards should be able to tame and use the Baby Flaming Phoenix pet as well.

b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
    edited January 2010
    Options
    By your argument, Wizards, with their vast amount of knowledge, should logically be able to have figured out a way to manipulate the minds of those around them, as they can already Force their Will.

Thus, I say that Wizards should be able to tame and use the Baby Flaming Phoenix pet as well.

b:pleased

I don't see where I say that in my argument. Wizards can use bows and force of will works on nixes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Any class should be able to use daggers. What made PW so awesome was the amazing versatility in build and class custimization. If I wanted to stick my wiz in HA and give him a sword for fun...then heck I could do it! Things like HA veno's and LA clerics were born from the diversity in pw character building and actually ended up working well.

With the tides we get a dull, dumbed down, can't-fail class that can only use the "optimum weapon choices". This leaves next to no room for experimentation with them or the old classes. It's basically....Sins use this kay...equips sorted now hit go stuff :D

Why might an archer or even a BM want to use daggers? Fun. Trying something new and messing about and enjoying the game. Who knows, they might just make something that really works well too.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I don't see where I say that in my argument. Wizards can use bows and force of will works on nixes.

b:sad

...don't ruin my dream to have my own Nix...!

b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • sanctam
    sanctam Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Any class should be able to use daggers. What made PW so awesome was the amazing versatility in build and class custimization. If I wanted to stick my wiz in HA and give him a sword for fun...then heck I could do it! Things like HA veno's and LA clerics were born from the diversity in pw character building and actually ended up working well.

With the tides we get a dull, dumbed down, can't-fail class that can only use the "optimum weapon choices". This leaves next to no room for experimentation with them or the old classes. It's basically....Sins use this kay...equips sorted now hit go stuff :D

Why might an archer or even a BM want to use daggers? Fun. Trying something new and messing about and enjoying the game. Who knows, they might just make something that really works well too.

Eh, not just for fun. For me at least, using high leveled daggers would be a million times better than spamming close range attacks when mobs that can't be pushed back get close and start meleeing. Kind of like when a sin uses a TT bow so he doesn't get hit by an aoe.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thats a good point. Caster classes should not be able to wear light armor.

That armor is designed for archers and assassins and caster classes don't "need" it since they should be casting spells.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    Lenn_ - Sanctuary Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

that doesnt apply to psychics, they can still follow your typical variants of magic builds.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    sanctam wrote: »
    Eh, not just for fun. For me at least, using high leveled daggers would be a million times better than spamming close range attacks when mobs that can't be pushed back get close and start meleeing. Kind of like when a sin uses a TT bow so he doesn't get hit by an aoe.

Yeh, but you have to admit being an assassin archer and pwning would be fun :D Fun can also be taking unique ideas and making them work effectively, thus improving your character even further. After all, why do we even play the game? Fun lol.

Nvm...game r srs bsness.
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    Sanctam - Dreamweaver Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Nvm...game r srs bsness.

Word yo' gamez b fer srsly buziness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There is no point speculating why some class would want to use some wep they normally won't when the topic is about why daggers aren't all-class. The reason is: they don't want those weapons for anyone else than Assassins. Same goes for soulspheres/artifacts/whatever those flying balls are. And, those artifacts would actually be more use: they work as normal magic weapons.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Also we should all get the same spark erupt lol :l

Veno's have a nifty +mag and +phys spark eruption while my paliden just gets a useless +mag attack, despite the description saying it boost's "weapon damage". b:sad

Also my BM's spark description is the same as for casters (functions fine though). Gotta love pwi translation team.