The Challenge of Champions!

thenamesdomino
thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Greetings!

War Front has been live for a few weeks now, you have had the opportunity to explore, to fight, and to rule! Now it’s time to see if you have what it takes in the form of a friendly little competition!

The PWI team proudly present to you:

The Challenge of Champions!

The rules are simple… Dominate the HeavenFall Tower by any means necessary.

Your quest for glory begins now!

Here’s how this will work:
Challenge Mode:
Starting on 12/23/15 and running through until 1/29/16 we will be regularly checking out the All and Class Rankings on HeavenFall Tower - cross server rank.

Cross Server Rank and Rewards:
On 1/29/16 18:00 PM PST all characters in the No.1 through No. 5 spots in the “All” and “Class” rankings will receive some very cool prizes!

All:
No 1. Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 * Soulgem Pack +1 War Avatar Chest S

No 2 -- No 5. Soul gem Pack + 1 War Avatar Chest S

Class:
No 1 Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 War Avatar Chest S

No 2 -- No 5. War Avatar Chest S

**Each character can only win 1 prize. If one character shows up in the top 5 on both ranking reports, that character will be awarded for their highest rank only. The rank on the other report will be disregarded for the next player in line.

Seem easy enough? BOSS FIGHT MODE ENGAGED!!! (BOSS FIGHT MODE will based on cross server rank as well )

If any character can stay in the First Place Rank in the “All” Ranking report each time we check the rankings, that player will receive a prize worthy of their legendary powers!

The Best Robe in the game: Matchless Wings!

We will check the rankings 5 times, A player on this quest MUST be First in the “All” Rankings Each of those 5 days to qualify -- on cross server
By doing so, not only will they win the Holiday's wish (the ring),
Soulgem Pack, War Avatar Chest S, BUT they will emerge victorious with the Matchless Wings!

Rankings Will Be checked at the following times:

01/01 18:00 PM PST
01/08 18:00 PM PST
01/15 18:00 PM PST
01/22 19:00 PM PST
01/29 19:00 PM PST

What do you say Champions? Are you ready for Glory?

Challenge Mode Reward Sent Rule:
Holiday's wish > War Avatar Chest S > Soul Gem Pack > War Avatar Pack S.
We will send players the best rewards they win, and pass the "not fancy one". Each player will win only 1 set of reward -- the better one.
For example, if one player is Top 1 on over all rank, also Top 1 on class rank, then he will receive only: Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 * Soulgem Pack +1 War Avatar Chest S. but not "Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 * Soulgem Pack +1 War Avatar Chest S" + "Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 War Avatar Chest S" . Then on class rank, TOP 2- TOP 6 will get their rewards.

Reward from BOSS Fight mode is something extra. It won't affect rewards from challenge mode.
Post edited by mintsummer on

Comments

• rocky19
    rocky19 Posts: 122 Arc User
    Fix existing **** first please. Thanks.
    IGN : Seek_NK B)
    Server: DawnGlory
    My Gear
    YouTube channel
    Mayhem Forum
  • mrmusi
    mrmusi Posts: 4 Arc User
    Hey,

Will you be checking the cross-server rankings as I assume? Or will you be judging based on the weekly (per server) resetting rankings? i.e. If I get an excellent time for the first week, do I have to keep rerunning to stay in competition?

Thank You :)​​
    As I get better and better gear I find that skill is worth a lot more. Frankly, seeing a +12 person who seems to not know how to use a genie is disgusting.

Oh well, why not check out my PWI Toon?
  • gundameister00
    gundameister00 Posts: 63 Arc User
    This Callenge rewards are Per Server too? or just for ranking on Cross server?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I will change the world..........
  • zoldickun
    zoldickun Posts: 197 Arc User
    You talk about Number one and two at first, then : "No 2 -- No 5."
    Could you please clarify ?
    Note : Matchless Wings is not exactly the best robe in the game (if not upgraded). Not a bad reward though.
  • thenamesdomino
    These stats and rewards are going to be per-server Based.
  • gundameister00

These stats and rewards are going to be per-server Based.

Nice Thank You !!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    What if you are not in the ranking at all untill the last week? And at 01/15 18:00 PM PST you are 5th or higher. Will previous 5 weeks affect final reward?​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • gundameister00
    Ohhh another question o.O if its per server thats mean Rank will not be reset each week right? because if they reset thats mean we have only 3 days to complete tower o.O?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thenamesdomino
    On 1/15/15 18:00 PM PST all characters in the No.1 and No.2 spots in the “All” and “Class” rankings will receive some very cool prizes!

To qualify for the Final Prize You MUST be first in the All ranking each time we check.

So If you are going just for the First prize, no. You do not need to be in the 1st place each time we check. Which is why the Boss Mode is going to be so difficult. Plan accordingly. ;)
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @thenamesdomino
    The server rankings reset every week on Wednesdays. Only the cross-server rankings never reset. So am I correct then in interpreting that the only week that actually matters is the one for 1/15 for all prizes except for the Matchless Wings?

Also there is ambiguity in what prize you receive for those that are top in their class and in the no.2-5 top overall.
    Do they receive both the Holiday Wish ring for being first in class and the soul gem pack for being top 5 overall?

If that's the case then there is no difference between someone who got first in their class but 3rd overall compared to someone first in their class and first overall.

You say players will receive whichever ranking is higher but logically the perclass ranking will always be equal or higher to the overall ranking since it is a subset. You also switch between using terminology that the top 5 of each class will receive prizes and the top 2 of each class will receive prizes.
    ​​
  • shade13
    So If you are going just for the First prize, no. You do not need to be in the 1st place each time we check. Which is why the Boss Mode is going to be so difficult. Plan accordingly. ;)

Aha, got it. Ty for answer.

Meh, new year vacation (not like I could hope for anything as a fox without harpy pig-43.gif lol)
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • thenamesdomino
    asterelle said:

@thenamesdomino

The server rankings reset every week on Wednesdays. Only the cross-server rankings never reset. So am I correct then in interpreting that the only week that actually matters is the one for 1/15 for all prizes except for the Matchless Wings?

​​

That is correct. Which means if you are going for the Matchless wings, you are going to have a challenge on your hands.
    asterelle said:

@thenamesdomino

Also there is ambiguity in what prize you receive for those that are top in their class and in the no.2-5 top overall.

Do they receive both the Holiday Wish ring for being first in class and the soul gem pack for being top 5 overall?

​​

It's not that ambiguous For first place in ALL you get the ring AND the soulgem pack AND the war avatar chest. For first place in CLASS you get the ring AND the war avatar chest.
    asterelle said:

@thenamesdomino

You say players will receive whichever ranking is higher but logically the perclass ranking will always be equal or higher to the overall ranking since it is a subset. You also switch between using terminology that the top 5 of each class will receive prizes and the top 2 of each class will receive prizes.
    ​​

That was a ninja edit by our PM that I did not see on the draft I submitted. I will be updating the language to reflect the 2-5 spots. At the time of planning it was top 2. But things change.

• asterelle
    Alright. So what is the prize for someone that is #1 in say Wizard and #2 overall?​​
  • thenamesdomino
    edited December 2015
    Class: Wizard
    No 1 - Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 War Avatar Chest S

The wizard would have a first place ranking so we go with the first place and disregard the second place overall.

The only time that that the All ranking would Trump would be if:

#1 the All ranking was higher

OR

#2 The player had the same rank in BOTH categories. At that point we would go with the All ranking
  • asterelle
    OK that clears it up but I hope you're aware that most of the prizes for #2-#5 overall will be discarded.
    There aren't many in the top 5 over all that aren't also first in their class.

Maybe the soul gem pack should just be something additionally awarded to the top 5 over all?

Also currently the days in which you check the rankings are only 2 days after the rankings do their weekly resets on Wednesday.
    Putting together a strong time is actually pretty demanding and takes longer overall than a casual run.
    Can you change the days you check to the times from Friday to Tuesdays?
    ​​
  • gundameister00
    edited December 2015
    ok so if im not bad this work like this:

If i want to be on (Class) Top 5 what i need to do?
    - Finish Tower from 1/13/2016 (After reset) ~ 1/15/2016 (before 18:00 PM PST) and rank (class) on 1~5

If i want to be on (All Class) Top 5 what i need to do?
    - Finish Tower from 1/13/2016 (After reset) ~ 1/15/2016 (before 18:00 PM PST) and rank (All Class) on 1~5

And if i want the Matchless wing what i need to do?
    - Finish Tower each week from 12/3/2015 until 1/15/2016 and Stay rank #1 (All Classes)

That way its really a challenge would be nice if you change the check times as Asterelle says​​
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I read over the posts multiple times, but I'm still a little confused. If you want to win the "Holiday's wish ring" for the Class category, do you have to be first on your server rankings or the cross-server rankings?

Also, I agree. The times you check the rankings should be changed a little. Some people may not have time the first couple of days after the reset to finish the tower in the last week, which is the most important one, unless you want the Matchless Wings.
    ​​
  • thenamesdomino
    Can't unfortunately. Those are hard locked to our datapulls.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    Hallo fellow PWI players.

A have a few concerns regarding the Heavenfall competition. While I like the idea of having a competition revolving around the new instance, I have to disagree with the way it's being judged. Why? Cause the way it currently works gives too much room for unfair playing and we don't want that to be rewarded, do we?

The News Post can be found here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/news/detail/9682603-heavenfall-competition

First off..one question: Is the thread reffering to the Cross-Server Rankings or the Server Rankings alone?

The biggest problem is..if you go by time alone...well...anyone could just farm ALL the buffs in room 1, at least up until all Attack Boosts are avaible. IF you would do that then you would get through there a HUGE lot faster. Sure anyone could do this..but seriously. That kinda takes out the whole competition part and makes it a mere effort game.

It would be best to just let people post screenshots in a thread made for it specifically that shows their character, the time they took and the buff window showing how much Buff Points they have. If they exceed 5310 (which is the number of minimum points you would have when finishing the tower without redoing any room) they'll get disqualified.

I also dislike the fact that you can reset each and every room without getting your time raised by it. That's also senseless, stupid and unfair. That way you can just try, try, try, try until you get the best time possible but well..there you at least have to pull it off perfectly so you need at least a little bit of skill. Just a little tho and since we cannot bypass that it doesnt really matter.

Here is my result for this week with prove:
    imgur.com/VtyLO9B

What are your thoughts about this? Sure, if my suggestion isnt taken into consideration then ofc I will farm buffs as well and considering my time isnt the max possible by far...well :)

PS: I would prefer having A-Chest as prices cause I dont really need S-Cards..but oh well :)

• limonazza
    limonazza Posts: 332 Arc User
    @thenamesdomino do you actually know that its a waste of effort checking and tracking players for 1 straight month to deliver a matchless wings,,,

i am pretty certain every server dropped hundreds of those capes past week due to pack sales... that item it's really nothing special lol

and i don't get the logic why announce and start an event now,
    when it can be relevantly attended only from the 13th to 15th january,
    since all the rewards will be delivered based upon that last 2 days rankings because of rankings reset

except for who wants a robe, which by the way all the players that can achieve the first ranks have it already, and in the upgraded version http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/38257

mhhh event needs some tune​​
  • hockey57
    hockey57 Posts: 35 Arc User
    The points that Joe raises are quite valid. A time ranking such as this is deceptively misleading as people have already found ways to beat the system and get a better time. If you spend all day doing it you can probably get a time under two hours, so long as you do it right.

It would be better just to put everyone that finishes it in under a certain time into a drawing and pick from that.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    hockey57 said:

The points that Joe raises are quite valid. A time ranking such as this is deceptively misleading as people have already found ways to beat the system and get a better time. If you spend all day doing it you can probably get a time under two hours, so long as you do it right.

It would be better just to put everyone that finishes it in under a certain time into a drawing and pick from that.

Yes. I agree. xD Havn't even thought about this but it sounds about right. I mean I will be under the best 5 anyways at least personally..but I cant stand this unfair mechanism. I rather have it give out random prices instead.
  • asterelle
    @jsxshadow It's trivial to fake a screenshot and those prove nothing. Going just by actual time is secure.

@limonazza That voices my concerns as well and caused me confusion. It's weird to announce a month long competition that for all intents and purposes is only relevant for the last 2 days of the period. Maybe there should be some weekly prize instead. Having the Friday deadline so soon after the Wednesday reset is also a bit annoying.
    ​​
  • hockey57
    edited December 2015
    You also have the other trick where people automatically leave the lower levels if they get a time consuming one. They then just come back to the level and it resets to a quicker randomization. People just repeat this until they get the quickest randomization that they want. This only adds a couple seconds, if any, to your time, but it can save you 5-10 minutes per level easily.

The time rankings are just horribly deceptive when it comes to actual skill and effort.
  • asterelle
    hockey57 wrote: »
    You also have the other trick where people automatically leave the lower levels if they get a time consuming one. They then just come back to the level and it resets to a quicker randomization. People just repeat this until they get the quickest randomization that they want. This only adds a couple seconds, if any, to your time, but it can save you 5-10 minutes per level easily.
    This doesn't actually work. You encounter every room exactly once before you fight the boss. By leaving and reentering you are just permuting the order you do the rooms in but you still do all of them equally.​​
  • hockey57
    Yes, but once you get to pick their order you can do the easy ones first and the harder ones once you have some more buff points.
  • delarocquee
    delarocquee Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I just want congratulate all the winners from now and wish them luck on the "S Pack" opening. Good luck!!!
  • splendideyes
    splendideyes Posts: 328 Arc User

Can't unfortunately. Those are hard locked to our datapulls.

maybe its possible that you guys try to change this anyway, friday is way too soon :/
  • shade13
    jsxshadow wrote: »
    The biggest problem is..if you go by time alone...well...anyone could just farm ALL the buffs in room 1, at least up until all Attack Boosts are avaible. IF you would do that then you would get through there a HUGE lot faster. Sure anyone could do this..but seriously. That kinda takes out the whole competition part and makes it a mere effort game.

How so? Doesn't repeating rooms go into timer as well? And you get only 10 points for first rooms. Yes they are easy and 1shot (what is 1shotable), but nearly all stuff till 40-50 room is easy kill and farming points on lower lvl in miserable amounts will just slow you down and extend your overall time. Won't it?

Plus, what Asterelle said, you will encounter each challenge every 9 rooms no matter what.

How do you, ppl, artificially reduce your time frame? Teach me XD
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    I'm totally confused LOL monkey-17.gif

Is there only one prize for "first in class" and "first over all" for this event awarded the last date of this event? So... Really, the only time that matters if you are not going for matchless wings is the last day, Jan 15?

01/15 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize) (SUPER AWESOME OVER ALL DATES Prize)

Or is there one prize for each of the check dates for these?, and then on the final date there is also an additional prize of the wings for the most uber awesome heavenfall person?
    12/11 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize)
    12/18 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize)
    12/25 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize)
    01/01 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize)
    01/08 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize)
    01/15 18:00 PM PST (Best in Class Prize) (Best Overall Prize) (SUPER AWESOME OVER ALL DATES Prize)
    ​​
This discussion has been closed.