What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cash shop prices

Comments

• Options
    ohrobinvanpersieohrobinvanpersie Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys, all PWE games are cash grab schemes with a half-arsed game that dies out after a couple of months. They make games specifically to tempt people into paying because it looks neat at first, and then you realize it's actually a terrible discount product that doesn't meet even the most lenient MMORPG standards. They're notorious for making these awful pay-for-everything games that all collapse as soon as people notice that the game itself is actually a joke and everything is just aimed at getting you to pull out your credit card. Don't expect anything else from Neverwinter, it's how literally every PWE game has been.
  • Options
    showatt0016showatt0016 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they have 10 mmo under their belt and can throw 50 million dollar on Cryptic Then PW is pretty **** successful.

It's the people who pay for their games that are gullible and dumb.

And I just cannot understand why anyone could possibly expect a reply from PW about this.

You guys do realize PWI is a Chinese company right?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    22 pages, and no response from devs on the issue. You guys really made this game to cash grab huh?

Because there's no issue, honestly. PWI & Cryptic have had similar prices in all their games, and they've done just fine. And for comparison's sake, I've seen companies with cash shops that make this seem like the Dollar Store (and they still got plenty of money, with insane people posting that they'd spent $4k in the first month :mad:).

And then there's the part where this is an internet gaming forum. No matter what the prices, there would be thread after thread of over the top complaints ("disgusted" "cash grab scheme" etc, etc, etc). The things people say are so over the edge generally, that of course they're not going to pay attention to it. /shrug
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Because there's no issue, honestly. PWI & Cryptic have had similar prices in all their games, and they've done just fine. And for comparison's sake, I've seen companies with cash shops that make this seem like the Dollar Store (and they still got plenty of money, with insane people posting that they'd spent $4k in the first month :mad:).

And then there's the part where this is an internet gaming forum. No matter what the prices, there would be thread after thread of over the top complaints ("disgusted" "cash grab scheme" etc, etc, etc). The things people say are so over the edge generally, that of course they're not going to pay attention to it. /shrug

I've never played a f2p that charged this much for bags ever. At least add a craftable bag with less slots or something, not make the only other option for space buyable. That's forcing people to pay, because the free bags they do award thru quests are not nearly enough. I find myself being full over 90% of the time and that is annoying. You can't justify it by saying other games do it when they dont charge nearly as much as NWO.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    gadzewksgadzewks Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I went on and sucked it and got a 24 slot bag for 10USD. Its a must from level 20+.

Nothing sold on the store is a must. You just didnt want to make more frequent trips to the vendor to sell more often, or to have to discard things from your bags to make room for more valueable loot.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys, all PWE games are cash grab schemes with a half-arsed game that dies out after a couple of months. They make games specifically to tempt people into paying because it looks neat at first, and then you realize it's actually a terrible discount product that doesn't meet even the most lenient MMORPG standards. They're notorious for making these awful pay-for-everything games that all collapse as soon as people notice that the game itself is actually a joke and everything is just aimed at getting you to pull out your credit card. Don't expect anything else from Neverwinter, it's how literally every PWE game has been.

The above message has been brought to you by your C.A.W.F.B Yes compensated Astroturfers working for Blizzard, for all your guerrilla marketing needs. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I don't normally call out folks for erroneous statements but this one... PWE has many games and very few of them have been discontinued. Please research your statements before spreading false rumors and misinformation. PW is one of the largest F2P MMO Publishers on the glove with PWE as their North American subsidiary. Their headquarters is based in China with the NA division based in Cali.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've never played a f2p that charged this much for bags ever. At least add a craftable bag with less slots or something, not make the only other option for space buyable. That's forcing people to pay, because the free bags they do award thru quests are not nearly enough. I find myself being full over 90% of the time and that is annoying. You can't justify it by saying other games do it when they dont charge nearly as much as NWO.

Maybe if your hadn't blown 60 bucks already, you could afford a bag.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I thought 1000 Zen for one of those glorious bags is an awesome deal! I plan on getting at least one for every character I have, already having bought one and bought four back in BW4. I already got two more character slots too, bought some dyes too. Keep in mind, you can earn AD in game and then sell it for Zen. One never has to pay any real money for anything, unless they really want to. They could grind it all in game and buy it all with the ADs they sell on the AD Exchange.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    Maybe if your hadn't blown 60 bucks already, you could afford a bag.

I can afford 10 bags if I wanted, that isn't the point here... Just because I have the money doesn't mean I don't know a bad deal when I see one.
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    oooo1111oooo1111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    There are many free to play games with microtransactions which have no bearing on actual gameplay.

Free 2 play model of games like Marvel Heroes or Path of Exile are completely respectable. They are entirely optional and only offer custom looks or allow a player to spend $10 buying a hero they want. Absolutely no advantage offered by paying more.

Games like Neverwinter, planetside, or Hawken have a pay to win approach. I'm in no way saying any of these games any less than very good games. But they are designed so you either pay up money or suffer the suckage, looking ugly, having no inventory space, slow mounts, crappy companions, always-lose-pvp, no weapons, etc. Painful to play without charging the credit card. Stating someone can unlock "almost everything" for free is bull when it takes a thousand hours or a year of daily 3 hour play sessions to accomplish something which you can buy for $50.

This topic makes me rage so much. And I have no problem paying $200+ for a great game.
  • Options
    jroutjrout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    1. "I can tell at level 5"..... At level 10, you get an 18 slot bag as a quest reward.

2. How does "$10 for a permanent bag" = "$20 a month maybe more"?

Like I said earlier. yeah - it'd be nice if the prices were a bit lower. But the level of irrational whine in this thread is just stunning.

Alts, buying more bags later in level, or other necessities like the spec reset, additional character slots, etc. All are just way over-priced.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oooo1111 wrote: »
    There are many free to play games with microtransactions which have no bearing on actual gameplay.

Free 2 play model of games like Marvel Heroes or Path of Exile are completely respectable. They are entirely optional and only offer custom looks or allow a player to spend $10 buying a hero they want. Absolutely no advantage offered by paying more.

Games like Neverwinter, planetside, or Hawken have a pay to win approach. I'm in no way saying any of these games any less than very good games. But they are designed so you either pay up money or suffer the suckage, looking ugly, having no inventory space, slow mounts, crappy companions, always-lose-pvp, no weapons, etc. Painful to play without charging the credit card. Stating someone can unlock "almost everything" for free is bull when it takes a thousand hours or a year of daily 3 hour play sessions to accomplish something which you can buy for $50.

This topic makes me rage so much. And I have no problem paying $200+ for a great game.

+1

/10char
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

the problem here is that Cryptic are a billion times better developers than PWI, and NWO is billions of times better than your average PWI game

so for PWI that means they should charge even more than what they charge for their ****ty asian craps

hence, the cash shop we have here. its beyond stupid even by PWI standards.

PWI finally lay their hands on a decent game....and the only thing they manage to do is ruining it by going full <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic needs to find a better host for their game.. I would pay a sub to get rid of this bull****.
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean by a better host? Someone other than PWE? It won't happen. Why? Because PWE isn't just a host. PWE OWNS Cryptic. They bought them from Atari who owned them before for the price of $50,000,000.00. Cryptic has no choice in the matter.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    sunyamsunyam Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do agree that some of the prices are a bit much. Other MMORPGs offer fast mounts for $20-$25. Neverwinter sells the fast ones for $30-$40. I feel that the slower mounts should be more in the price range of $10-$15 or so and the faster one should be $20-$25. Just seems odd that a armored horse is $30 and a armored warg is $40, a bit much for mounts.
  • Options
    sunyamsunyam Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic needs to find a better host for their game.. I would pay a sub to get rid of this bull****.

As sirsitsalot pointed out, PWE owns Cryptic. But I'm sorry I feel STO and CO has gotten a lot better since PWE bought them. Think PWE gives Cryptic more freedom to do what they want plus gives them the money and resources to get things done.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sunyam wrote: »
    As sirsitsalot pointed out, PWE owns Cryptic. But I'm sorry I feel STO and CO has gotten a lot better since PWE bought them. Think PWE gives Cryptic more freedom to do what they want plus gives them the money and resources to get things done.

Ouch... Didnt know that. Well ****, Prices will never change huh?
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dont go full <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Cryptic cant do everything they want.
    They have goals to achieve, and orders to obey from publishers. Like "how we want you to do cash shop".
  • Options
    psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too, feel that the prices are overdone. They gated a lot of things behind zen, like renaming, changing your looks, getting a mount at lvl20, being able to actually keep your crafting up with your level, bidding on the auction house..

The problem P2W games like this have is the following. Not only do they make paying pretty much near mandatory if you want to keep up to the rest of the paying customers, they also make it feel like you should keep spending money. Personally I would like it MUCH better if there was the /option/ to sub and get the whole game, or the option to not do so and buy content as you access it or need it. I hate not even being able to sub even though I can afford it, and instead am forced to play a half-complete game and buy the rest to make it work,e ven after putting down founders money for it, which should cover a year-long subscription technically.

I will still keep playing, because gameplay is enjoyable and fun, but PWI should seriously work on their ridiculous monetization schemes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If anything is subject to change during the so-called "open beta" it is that stats will be tweaked and prices may be adjusted. If they feel that not enough bags are being purchased by enough people, they'll run a sale on them. They've been known to run sales in STO for bundles and such. Who knows. Maybe they'll bundle multiple bags at a discount for the bundle. You would pay full price if you bought one bag at a time, but something like 3 bags for 2100 would be a deal.

There are lots of ways they can sweeten things up for the cash shop. Right now we are seeing it in its base form... A starting point. When they decide to drop the so-called "open beta" umbrella, I think we will find things a lot more accommodating to us while still remaining profitable to them. At least I am hoping that's how it goes down. It would be in their best interest to find the sweet spot.

I would also like to point out that for the die-hard D&D player, over the years, all the rulebooks, source books, supplemental materials, mineatures, Dice, tokens and other PnPRPG paraphernalia, Wizards of the Coast has made a pretty penny as well. What we are seeing here is essentially the same sort of marketing mechanics that have existed in conjunction with D&D for years. It's just broken down into base elements and a whole lot more options are presented...

Read that again... OPTIONS...

Nothing on the cash shop is required to PLAY the game. Just like you don't really need every different rulebook to play pen-and-paper D&D. People get them because they want them so they can get the most out of their D&D experience. If you think the prices are too high, then fine. Say so. It's your opinion. The marketing people deal in facts. And if enough of these extra things sell that their profit projections are met, then nothing will change, with or without you.

This is a business. Try not to think of it as anything else. If you can deal with that, then great. If not, then that's fine too, Just don't expect this issue to be a fight you will win.
  • Options
    mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Your thread will just get closed down like mine. The mods can't figure out what to do so they close and move the posts.

53 pages and closed....
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?178612-I-acutally-enjoy-playing-Neverwinter-but-the-GREED-from-Cryptic-PWE-is-disgusting!&p=2498492#post2498492
    And people brough up a lot of goof points/suggestions.
  • Options
    laere89laere89 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »
    I too, feel that the prices are overdone. They gated a lot of things behind zen, like renaming, changing your looks, getting a mount at lvl20, being able to actually keep your crafting up with your level, bidding on the auction house..

The problem P2W games like this have is the following. Not only do they make paying pretty much near mandatory if you want to keep up to the rest of the paying customers, they also make it feel like you should keep spending money. Personally I would like it MUCH better if there was the /option/ to sub and get the whole game, or the option to not do so and buy content as you access it or need it. I hate not even being able to sub even though I can afford it, and instead am forced to play a half-complete game and buy the rest to make it work,e ven after putting down founders money for it, which should cover a year-long subscription technically.

I will still keep playing, because gameplay is enjoyable and fun, but PWI should seriously work on their ridiculous monetization schemes.

Getting a mount at level 20 doesn't cost zen....also no one is forcing you to use the cash shop. Is someone from Cryptic/PWE at your home putting a gun to your head making you buy things from the cash shop? No. You also are given the option to trade in AD for Zen. Sure it may take some time, but it's there. Every game has a cash shop, every game has a way to make money.

Path of Exile - Buying tabs, and aesthetics. Looks like they're money grabbing!

WoW - buying the initial game $60 plus a year of subscription $180. Not to mention the mounts and pets you can buy. I guess they're money grabbing too?

Those are just a couple examples. Again the prices of their items will most likely go down when they stop selling like hot cakes. And again. No. One. Is. Forcing. You. To. Buy. Anything.

You self-entitled brats always try and find some way to complain and look down on a company that's providing you a free service, and when you still don't get everything you want you come to the forums to continue *****ing. Grow up. Seriously.

Not to mention P2W isn't even relevant in this game. What advantage does the cash shop offer, that any normal "poor" player wouldn't be able to get? Is a Tier 3 mount going to make me do more damage? Is having a cool new outfit going to let me survive dungeon bosses better? There is no advantage to the cash shop. So maybe you should understand that it isn't actually Pay To Win. Prove to me one thing from the cash shop that gives a player a game-breaking advantage over others.

Protip: You can't.
  • Options
    vincenzo7vincenzo7 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the end of the day, the most important thing is this: Vote with your wallet. Numbers are numbers. If no one buys a $10 bag, someone will notice.

I think part of the problem is, this game is so compelling that it makes people want to spend money. The question is, can you have a great experience without buying anything? Time will tell.

Sure, if things in this game were cheaper, I'd buy a TON without thinking, but until then, I plan on just playing the game and see where the pricing goes. I lose nothing until then because I am enjoying my experience so far and I haven't yet spent a dime.
  • Options
    darqiondarqion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its their loss.. Ive thrown hundreds of euros at free to play games, if i enjoyed them enough and the pricing was to my taste. 10 euros better get me something interesting, not a bag. Having core gameplay relating things cost money, and lots of it(like bags/respecs) will eventually scare people away. I dont plan on buying a respec for whatever reason, so if i reach a point where i have to, to keep my character competitive i could very likely just pick up and leave the game.

So yeah. I dont care if they make it cheaper or not, but if they want my money, it would be something to consider
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I love how admins say that $10 for a bag is a fair price. 10gold is a fair price.
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I love how admins say that $10 for a bag is a fair price. 10gold is a fair price.

"fair" is a subjective term. What one considers a fair price may be too much for someone else.

To those who gladly plunk down their 1000 Zen for a bag and make no fuss about it, it's fair. To those who come here and whine about it, it's not. It's a matter of personal perspective.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And just to be clear, I have not spent any money in the cash shop yet, as I have perceived no need to.
  • Options
    necronomniconnecronomnicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    welly321 wrote: »
    The inventory limitation is a disgusting cash grab. Why do these developers think this is a good business model? F2P was the worse thing to happen to MMOs. If a game is good, people will pay 15 bucks a month to play. Stop making medoicre games and having pay to win cash shops to fund them. It sucks. I cant wait for this free to play fad to pass. Paying money for in game items is just stupid.

The only games that are free to play and done right are Dota 2 and Path of Exile. This is because all the cash shop items are cosmetic and add no gameplay value. If a game is going to be free to play then this is how it needs to be done. Otherwise its going to fail.

at first i was like, wow they don't limit how many bag slots we can fill like SOE games do. Then I realised they sucker ya, the only way to FILL those slots is spending money lol. So they actually do limit you to 2 bag slots like many other games, paying to unlock the other bag slots. very clever way to sucker some folks to 30-40 since they wouldn't want to just quit like it was level 20 or under, and many more people would be likely to buy a couple of bag slots rather than just quit as they could before their time investment. very clever idea, I'm interested in how this all plays out. if the prices will go down over time, or if people will pay up and they will stay the same, and other even more expensive items or functions will arise in time to test the waters again. Either way, I'm ashamed to say that later this afternoon I will probably be spending 10-20$ on zen haha. maybe 30 since I didn't know the only way to get more than 2 bag slots was another ten bucks.
    So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
    Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
    Evil, be thou my good.
This discussion has been closed.