test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cash shop prices

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then perhaps you should stop doing it because the proof is there. Nexon, NCSoft and NDoors are all PUBLICLY TRADED companies and anyone can look at their revenue.

So, now who knows what they are talking about and who is talking out their backside? Mr im not a founder and is telling those that have SPENT money that they are cheap...oh wait, as you say...this is the internet, where everyone is an expert...and a troll.

Wow, you're so off the mark.

First, I'm a Founder. I just don't feel the need to flaunt it.

Second, are you really saying that the financials for NCSoft, Nexon and NDoors mean anything? Those are the aggregate financials for the companies. Show me a financial report where they show how much each cash shop item made, and then you might have a point - but right now your argument is on par with saying Ishtar was a good movie because Sony is profitable.

You know, PW is a publicly traded company too, that provides audited financial statements. They make a lot of money too, and I think that supports my assertion that they know how to price things better than disgruntled forumites.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Complaining about it on a forum isn't going to do squat.

It shows that the community isn't satisfied with the prices, which actually means a lot.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    A self-selected sample size of 2? That's not exactly useful.

Counter example. I spent $260 on packs and another $100 on Zen.

Clearly, prices are too low right now - they should be raised.

/silly examples

Again, I'll restate what should be obvious - arguing pricing based on personal experience is useless. Only aggregate sales data will tell Cryptic whether their prices are too high or too low. Complaining about it on a forum isn't going to do squat.

You're not going to get a larger sample size on this forum. I tell ya what. You go find someone else that has spent money and thinks that the zen store is just right besides yourself and link that post here. I'm not complaining about anything on a forum, I'm giving feedback. It's not just the game that is in beta, it's also the zen store. I'm giving feedback that I went there, CC in hand, and didn't drop a dime because things are overpriced. That's my feedback for the beta test of the zen store.

I might be in the minority. I'll accept that because of the small sample size of this thread. Once you show me all the happy zen store shoppers that have also given their feedback.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    It shows that the community isn't satisfied with the prices, which actually means a lot.

No, it shows that a segment of the community isn't satisfied with the prices, which is inevitable as long as the prices are greater than zero.

Sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, it shows that a segment of the community isn't satisfied with the prices, which is inevitable as long as the prices are greater than zero.

Who would be satisfied paying $10 for a bag? I could buy 100 bags right now if I wanted to, but that doesn't mean I will. The price is too high considering what is offered.
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Shakespeare for the win.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    Who would be satisfied paying $10 for a bag? I could buy 100 bags right now if I wanted to, but that doesn't mean I will. The price is too high considering what is offered.

Then don't buy them? I'm not buying them myself, and if they don't sell enough bags, they will lower the prices.

But they won't lower them because a thousand forum posts say they should. Only because the number of sales (or lack thereof) tell them they should.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Then don't buy them? I'm not buying them myself, and if they don't sell enough bags, they will lower the prices.

But they won't lower them because a thousand forum posts say they should. Only because the number of sales (or lack thereof) tell them they should.
    So basically, it's all about the money. Community means nothing? Sounds like typical PWE
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    ufgtufgt Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    It's a painfully obvious p2w game. It's PWE.
    When somebody with more money than time to burn can jump on the AH and pretty much buy all end game gear then there is no other description but p2w.
    And what you said about the extra paragons being purchased via Zen, I have no doubt that is what's going to happen. Again, it's PWE.
    mmm... that's not the correct definition of P2W.
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    ufgt wrote: »
    mmm... that's not the correct definition of P2W.

It's such a strange subject because that definition is so subjective. It's a made up term and as such is going to have a different definition for many different people.

Paying real money for the best gear in the game? That's pretty darn close to my definition.
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, you're so off the mark.

First, I'm a Founder. I just don't feel the need to flaunt it.

Second, are you really saying that the financials for NCSoft, Nexon and NDoors mean anything?

Right, stats doesn't matter only your opinion does...you aren't even worth calling a troll.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pwthebest wrote: »
    Perfect World has priced the Cash shop in a way that it benefit's both the Player, and the company as a whole.

LOLWUT?

/10char
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Right, stats doesn't matter only your opinion does...you aren't even worth calling a troll.

A statistic is only useful if it's relevant. Profitability isn't relevant in this case, especially as it can't be used to distinguish the three companies you cite from PW.

But then I suppose I can't expect much from someone who's main counter-argument appears to be calling people trolls.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think you both should kiss and make up.

In my opinion, the prices are too high and I won't spend until they are lowered. I believe that eventually data will come out that reflects that. I really don't think I'm on an island here and I really do have faith that this feedback is being read by PW/Cryptic.
  • Options
    mkruzelmkruzel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They will most likely come out with a bundle soon with a whole bunch of stuff with a "good" price for the stuff so they will make a good profit there.

That's what I am waiting on. Hopefully some account wide unlocks too. I don't like paying for stuff that is useful to just one character.
  • Options
    dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    / sign
    I got The heroes and the guardian pack and bought some zen, thinking that i would basically be set.. Ya know kinda like paying for a lifetime membership.

Dead wrong, PWI was the worst thing to happen to cryptic. The prices are pure money grab, the game is designed to make you have to buy stuff.

The sad part is the games actually good. its PWI who ruined it. Ill keep playing but PWI will not see my wallet again if i can help it.
    Maybe people overseas where pwi is from like this cash grab <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. But here in the states we call it something al capone would do.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I approve of this thread. The cash shop is not encouraging.

In fact, I stay far away from it, due to the steep prices. If there were some proper stuff id properly get way more from the shop, but not atm.

Worse than the bag prices, is that you pay for a simple respec...thats...probably the dumbest ive seen in an mmo in a long time...
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should have expected this once you found out that PW was involved...they are not known for having reasonable cash shops. They over price everything, and lock out required content in order to progress... that is just the way they roll. Its sad that this is going to be the killer of this game since its so darned good... but that said... its still a hell of alot better then SWTOR's f2p model....
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    While I have the disposable income and I have spent $250 on Zen I still feel the proces are a bit to high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should have expected this once you found out that PW was involved...they are not known for having reasonable cash shops. They over price everything, and lock out required content in order to progress... that is just the way they roll. Its sad that this is going to be the killer of this game since its so darned good... but that said... its still a hell of alot better then SWTOR's f2p model....

SWTORs Cartel Market is just fine...its the f2p <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-restrictions all other places in the world that is fail.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    The astral diamonds should not be in game honestly.
    Bags should be able to be crafted.
    respecs should cost gold.
    The AH should be in gold. And everything should cost a currency in game that YOU can earn.
    Gw2 had it right with gems to gold and gold to gems.. And a reasonable cash shop.

The AD prices are insane and you practically need them for everything most of which should cost gold. This is why its a money grab.
    the rough to astral conversion sucks. And really youll end up having to fork out zen for AD.

Sure charge an arm and a leg for epic looking stuff and xp boosters etc..
    But basic stuff no. It really feels like the game was designed to eat as much of your USD as it can before you get fed up and leave.
    Like better get as much as i can before they all leave!

Throughout beta it got worse as they changed things to be more money grabby etc. You can tell Cryptic had a decent game and PWI forced them to ruin it. Wake up PWI, you catch more fly's with honey than you do with vinegar. Same goes for getting money from your players.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dimtox wrote: »
    The AH should be in gold. And everything should cost a currency in game that YOU can earn.
    Gw2 had it right with gems to gold and gold to gems.. And a reasonable cash shop.

The AD prices are insane and you practically need them for everything most of which should cost gold. This is why its a money grab.
    the rough to astral conversion sucks. And really youll end up having to fork out zen for AD.

But basic stuff no. It really feels like the game was designed to eat as much of your USD as it can before you get fed up and leave.

Throughout beta it got worse as they changed things to be more money grabby etc. You can tell Cryptic had a decent game and PWI forced them to ruin it. Wake up PWI, you catch more fly's with honey than you do with vinegar. Same goes for getting money from your players.

+1, you hit the nail on the head.
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to look at models like GW2/League of Legends.

Prices that are reasonable, sales, and things for all levels/players.

It seems most things are geared toward end game things (IE mounts) while hte lower lv based things/consumables (such as dyes) are way too expensive to justify buying, especially if you want to be able to use them early on.
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Nothing wrong with AD, what is wrong is the lack of ability to convert gold to AD. With Leadership alone you can easily pull in 16k+ AD a day once you unlock 6 profession slots and that 16k becomes more as you gain better quality hirelings that will cut the time down on each time you send them out on a task. Now add in the 1k ish youll get from praying through the day and the 8-10k you can get from dailies and events. and you should be able to land 25k+ AD per day...that's 250k AD every 10 days that will get higher as you progress your leadership AND you can do that on all of your characters.
  • Options
    xgrahfxxgrahfx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I could not agree more
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    welly321 wrote: »
    The inventory limitation is a disgusting cash grab. Why do these developers think this is a good business model? F2P was the worse thing to happen to MMOs. If a game is good, people will pay 15 bucks a month to play. Stop making medoicre games and having pay to win cash shops to fund them. It sucks. I cant wait for this free to play fad to pass. Paying money for in game items is just stupid.

The only games that are free to play and done right are Dota 2 and Path of Exile. This is because all the cash shop items are cosmetic and add no gameplay value. If a game is going to be free to play then this is how it needs to be done. Otherwise its going to fail.

I meant to say it with this quote lol.. but ya I could not agree more
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Comments like these make me not even want to start playing this game lol.. Guh.
  • Options
    ohrobinvanpersieohrobinvanpersie Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just figured I'd mention that the blatant cash grab foundation is the reason I won't be playing this game. Tried it for a couple of days, but it's obviously almost pay2win, with free play being practically pointless and cash shop prices that are way too high for me to consider paying for what isn't even a particularly amazing MMORPG. I gladly paid $50 for bank tabs in Path of Exile because it felt reasonable and I knew there weren't any more things I'd find necessary. If a game must have a cash shop, it shouldn't be this vital to gameplay and the prices should be set to vaguely coincide with what people end up paying for a conventional game. It shouldn't be trying to lure hundreds of dollars out of you just so you can get what normal games give you at the price of, well, a normal game. This is just greedy and it completely destroyed any desire I had to continue playing the game. This is a greedy cash grab, not a serious attempt at making a good MMORPG.
  • Options
    jroutjrout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really do like this game but have to agree with the majority here about the high prices for needed items like bag space and respecs. I can tell at level 5 those bags will become essential when I get higher in level. If the prices do not drop by the time I feel I need one(about half) I wont be resuming after that point. I don't feel like spending over $20 a month(probably more) to keep up with such things when I can go to games like LoTRO and pay once for quest packs with plenty of the needed things present.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jrout wrote: »
    I really do like this game but have to agree with the majority here about the high prices for needed items like bag space and respecs. I can tell at level 5 those bags will become essential when I get higher in level. If the prices do not drop by the time I feel I need one(about half) I wont be resuming after that point. I don't feel like spending over $20 a month(probably more) to keep up with such things when I can go to games like LoTRO and pay once for quest packs with plenty of the needed things present.

1. "I can tell at level 5"..... At level 10, you get an 18 slot bag as a quest reward.

2. How does "$10 for a permanent bag" = "$20 a month maybe more"?

Like I said earlier. yeah - it'd be nice if the prices were a bit lower. But the level of irrational whine in this thread is just stunning.
This discussion has been closed.