What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cash shop prices

Comments

• Options
    gendrackgendrack Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pay real money to respec, hmm how about NO.
  • Options
    iamsortiamsort Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    It's just a few items that need to be reduced in cost IMO.
    500 zen for 2 char. slots is very reasonable that's only 2.50$ each.
    Mounts whatever the price are there for every char. you ever make so consider that in the price , reasonable IMO.
    my gripe is with the bags 1000 zen for a bag that is only useable by the char. that buys it is way overpriced.Cut that in half and maybe we can do business.Bank slots could use a reduction also at 600 zen for 16 slots (16 slots to start is an obvious money grab)considering i filled up my bank with the many many upgrades stones alone before level 30 says that 16 is not nearly enough for anyone.
    The keys for those lockboxes (that are dropping like water) or not bad but should also be a rare drop.I have not looked at much of the other stuff yet as just looking at bag prices made me shut the zen store window.
    so yhea , i will buy a few char slots and start making them my "banks"

Ohh and you get a 16 slot bag at like 9 and a 12 slot bag at 30 or so ( both are quest rewards so lvl varies slightly)
  • Options
    cabill1977cabill1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look, i've never dropped any cash in any PW game. I've gotten several ships on STO from clocking "Earn Zen". To earn Zen, i just click "Earn Zen" and do some of the advertisement or survey things. Just do that, input fake info, boom, an easy 35 zen here, 120 zen there. It adds up. Nobody says you HAVE to spend money but they give you a good alternative to earning Zen.
  • Options
    rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    B2P is now <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because it gets filled with cash shop stuff anyway so you pay again. Or the B2P becomes F2P and you get stuck thinking "What did I spend thirty quid on all those years ago?" I bought STO, then it went F2P and I had nothing at all to show for the fact I bought the game and subbed to it beyond a petty XP bonus.

And think how much ZEN it will take to keep paying around sub costs in the cash shop and how much you can actually get for it. If 10GBP is 1000ZEN and a sub was around 8.99GBP a month typical in the UK, then you are looking around the 900ZEN mark each month. How much can you get for 900ZEN?
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • Options
    mortimurmortimur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who designs such a crapy shop?
    The prices are way to high and now i won't spend a cent on this game because i feel like someone tries to rip me off.
    Even if the prices get lower someday, guys you really ****ed up for me.
  • Options
    alias505alias505 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think here Keys and healing stones 200 charges are very very overpriced. 200 charges full health costs 15$ and its like 3-4 days,keys are also way to overpriced. no calculate all this and it will be around 100-150$ in every month. this is robbery totally.
  • Options
    shrinkmastershrinkmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    after reading this thread i have no desire to continue playing this game.

i have no problem spending my money on f2p titles (spend 120 euro on path of exile and around the same on gw2), but i like to spend money on stuff that adds something to my experience. not on stuff that i take for granted like respecs and character slots.

reading about users with previous experience with this company from other games was a real eye-opener.
  • Options
    welly321welly321 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    after reading this thread i have no desire to continue playing this game.

i have no problem spending my money on f2p titles (spend 120 euro on path of exile and around the same on gw2), but i like to spend money on stuff that adds something to my experience. not on stuff that i take for granted like respecs and character slots.

reading about users with previous experience with this company from other games was a real eye-opener.

Yep there business model is bogus and the only people that defend it are white knights that already spent 200 bucks on founders pack and feel the need to validate their purchase
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's always amusing to read all these posts from self-proclaimed experts who think they know more about running a game than Cryptic/PW.

You should always remember that your personal preferences are just that - *personal*. They do not necessarily reflect what will or will not cause NW to be a financial success. So if you don't like the model, fine - but don't pretend that your ideas are better for Cryptic and PW than what they're already doing.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    I just took a look since I am having fun in this game and wanted to price out some things that I'm going to need down the road. Bags, respecs, bank slots, maybe some healthstones.

Wow, you guys are nuts. The game is fun and all and keep in mind I just went to your online store with my CC in hand ready to give you more of my hard earned money. At these prices you can forget it, I'm seriously blown away at how high some stuff is marked.
  • Options
    abradaxabradax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    My only complaint so far is that it is very jenky that my STO lifetime stipend is "promotional" points so they can't be used in Neverwinter.

300 bucks wasn't enough to earn me the ability to pick up some cool stuff across games apparently.
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • Options
    welly321welly321 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    It's always amusing to read all these posts from self-proclaimed experts who think they know more about running a game than Cryptic/PW.

You should always remember that your personal preferences are just that - *personal*. They do not necessarily reflect what will or will not cause NW to be a financial success. So if you don't like the model, fine - but don't pretend that your ideas are better for Cryptic and PW than what they're already doing.

No our Ideas are better for the PLAYERS. Who cares whats better for Cryptic?
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    welly321 wrote: »
    No our Ideas are better for the PLAYERS. Who cares whats better for Cryptic?

If that's your point of view, then answer me this: Why should Cryptic care about what's better for the players? Why shouldn't they do what's better for Cryptic?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If that's your point of view, then answer me this: Why should Cryptic care about what's better for the players? Why shouldn't they do what's better for Cryptic?
    PROTIP: Players pay their bills. Doing what is better for the player immediately does what's better for Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    abradax wrote: »
    PROTIP: Players pay their bills. Doing what is better for the player immediately does what's better for Cryptic.

PROTIP: Learn some economics, lest you look like a fool. Making everything free would be better for the players. How would that be better for Cryptic? Clearly your assertion is incorrect.
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pwthebest wrote: »
    Perfect World has priced the Cash shop in a way that it benefit's both the Player, and the company as a whole.

What a crock.

The prices will be for a select few and as can be seen by the title under my name, I am willing to pay if I believe it to be worth it. There is not a single mount, companion or costume I think is worth HALF what they are asking for and most F2P'ers feel the same. It makes no sense at all when you look at how much more money Asian F2P games make with their micro-transactions...by the time western companies learn that just because western countries are richer, it doesn't mean they are stupid and hold virtual items to a greater value...by the time they figure it out, the market will be fully under the control of Asian MMO makers with massive amounts of cash.

Oh wait, that has already happened. Nexon and NCSoft are the two largest MMO makers on the planet and PWI is quickly catching up to EA and Sony with NDoors not far behind. Hell, NDoors dropped over 150 million last year buying out companies which is more than Cryptic was making at their peak with CoH.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    PROTIP: Learn some economics, lest you look like a fool. Making everything free would be better for the players. How would that be better for Cryptic? Clearly your assertion is incorrect.

Clearly my assertion isn't. They should always do what is best for the people paying the bills. OBVIOUSLY giving everything away for free isn't an answer, however there should be ways to accomplish something to make your customers happy. THAT is economics 101.
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

PROTIP: Economics prove you wrong.

Over a decade of F2P data proves MICRO-transactions is where the money is. In Asia the exact same items are sold for far less and they sell often enough to DWARF the money made at a higher price.

10,000 people may be willing to pay $40 for a mount making $400,000
    But 100,000 people may be willing to pay $10 for a mount making $1,000,000

Economics is actually VERY simple, price your products too high and you end up with a very small target consumer base.

Flat screen HDTVs have been available in America since the late 90s. It wasn't until almost a DECADE later that they started to actually sell well. Why? They were originally for 6-8k, it wasn't until they started to drop under 2k that they started to sell well...today you can find a top quality flat screen HDTV for under 1k.

Economics, it really is simple...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    abradax wrote: »
    Clearly my assertion isn't. They should always do what is best for the people paying the bills. OBVIOUSLY giving everything away for free isn't an answer, however there should be ways to accomplish something to make your customers happy. THAT is economics 101.

Wrong again. You made the blanket assertion that anything better for the players is better for Cryptic. Which is a crock.

What econ 101 should have taught you is that there will always be some unhappy customers. The key to a successful business is to find the optimum point where you make enough customers happy to maximize your returns. No matter what the price point is, though, there will always be some customers who feel the price is too high. That is exactly what we see on this thread. However, said customers lack the ability to see the big picture, which is that Cryptic/PW have a far better idea what the correct pricing is - for one thing, they are the only ones who know how well things are selling.

If the prices actually are too high, then they will be lowered. But complaining on the forums is useless - since there are always people who are unwilling to pay even the prices that are optimal for Cryptic - and Cryptic knows this.
  • Options
    xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    valtray wrote: »

The thing i hate most about Perfect Worlds decisions with this game was forcing you to pay everytime you want to respec.
    That's a really cheap move, really cheap.

If anything will come back to bite them in the ***, it will be this. Paying zen to respec is ridiculous.

Bag prices are too high since they can be classified as a "must have". Complete money grab here.

Mounts, I am ok with the $40 tag, it's steep, but you can get by without it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    PROTIP: Economics prove you wrong.

Over a decade of F2P data proves MICRO-transactions is where the money is. In Asia the exact same items are sold for far less and they sell often enough to DWARF the money made at a higher price.

10,000 people may be willing to pay $40 for a mount making $400,000
    But 100,000 people may be willing to pay $10 for a mount making $1,000,000

Economics is actually VERY simple, price your products too high and you end up with a very small target consumer base.

Flat screen HDTVs have been available in America since the late 90s. It wasn't until almost a DECADE later that they started to actually sell well. Why? They were originally for 6-8k, it wasn't until they started to drop under 2k that they started to sell well...today you can find a top quality flat screen HDTV for under 1k.

Economics, it really is simple...

Indeed, Economics really is simple.

Especially when you just make up numbers that prove your point.

Anyone with real economics knowledge would know that you can't just make up data and prove your conclusion that way.

Good thing this is the Internet, where everyone is an expert.
  • Options
    uteightohfiveuteightohfive Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hopefully PW takes a look at other cash shops like TF2 and Dota2, they aren't perfect, but they are much better than what they have now. I'd like to see this game make it, but for now I can't justify spending a single dollar even if I am really enjoying the game itself so far.
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013

Anyone with real economics knowledge would know that you can't just make up data and prove your conclusion that way.

I agree that you can't just make up numbers to prove your point, however, you've got that guy that you quoted and myself. He spent 200 so far and I spent 60. That's not made up, we shelled out that much for this game already. Both of us have gone to the item mall, looking to spend MORE. We both left without spending a dime because things are too overpriced and not worth our investment.

It's a bit high right now. They should lower it.
  • Options
    vernslvernsl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ugh I'm so frustrated with buying the Hero pack. Wish I never did, I thought I could get away with not spending money for a long time after shelling out $200 and that's not the case at all. I guess it's my fault because I should have done more research. But the currency is confusing and things are far too expensive. Some stuff is fine, but things like bags are required.
  • Options
    yeepekayey01yeepekayey01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What kind of post is this ? The numbers on his post are obviously made up so you could just get his point, that a higher price does not equate to higher profits. And this is even more true when it comes to e-items, since they only require very little developing (lol bags).

To be fair, i am not going to play this game, i logged in, saw that i have to pay even for respecs, logged out. Good riddance amediocre game where the quality of your game experience is defined by the size of your wallet.

But good thing this is internet and people can dismiss others people points just writing some crappy quality post and insults.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Then perhaps you should stop doing it because the proof is there. Nexon, NCSoft and NDoors are all PUBLICLY TRADED companies and anyone can look at their revenue.

So, now who knows what they are talking about and who is talking out their backside? Mr im not a founder and is telling those that have SPENT money that they are cheap...oh wait, as you say...this is the internet, where everyone is an expert...and a troll.
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    For me it comes down to 2 things: Paying cash for respecs and for bags. I find this very disturbing. Respecs should cost gold. Bags should be craftable.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    uberguber wrote: »
    For me it comes down to 2 things: Paying cash for respecs and for bags. I find this very disturbing. Respecs should cost gold. Bags should be craftable.

If they did this then I could understand keeping some other stuff like bank slots as high as they are right now.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uberguber wrote: »
    I agree with this 100%. That is more than ridiculous, but don't expect this to be changed.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    grekthoran wrote: »
    I agree that you can't just make up numbers to prove your point, however, you've got that guy that you quoted and myself. He spent 200 so far and I spent 60. That's not made up, we shelled out that much for this game already. Both of us have gone to the item mall, looking to spend MORE. We both left without spending a dime because things are too overpriced and not worth our investment.

It's a bit high right now. They should lower it.

A self-selected sample size of 2? That's not exactly useful.

Counter example. I spent $260 on packs and another $100 on Zen.

Clearly, prices are too low right now - they should be raised.

/silly examples

Again, I'll restate what should be obvious - arguing pricing based on personal experience is useless. Only aggregate sales data will tell Cryptic whether their prices are too high or too low. Complaining about it on a forum isn't going to do squat.
This discussion has been closed.