test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cash shop prices

Comments

• Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid my $60 up font. I don't regret it. I got a companion that's at least comparable to my level, and a mount that was ready to go as soon as I hit 20. The Greycloak Legacy is a nice perk that makes things easier for the first 20-ish levels. I picked up a decent bag while questing and I think there's another one coming.

Unlocking the Nightmare Chests costs $1.25. For the price of a coffee I can open one. For the cost of a meal I can open 4-5 of them. Based on my sedentary lifestyle/job that's a better use of the cash. If you don't want to pay to open the chests you could just sell it on the AH. Lots of people buying. You could also just wait until you have the AD to buy the Zen and then buy a key. The daily dungeon gives 3000 RAD which coverts directly into 3000 AD. The daily foundry gives 1000. So 4k AD/day without any from crafting, invoking or questing.

Some of the prices might be high, but I haven't needed to buy anything yet. I kind of wish they had done the Turbine hybrid model, but as it is there's still lots of room/time for that.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    gama205gama205 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    PROTIP: Learn some economics, lest you look like a fool. Making everything free would be better for the players. How would that be better for Cryptic? Clearly your assertion is incorrect.

Who said making everything free fanboy? Get your head out of Cryptic's ***. We're saying the pricing is ridiculous because it is. You can run a F2P cash shop and not charge people for game essentials like bags, character slots, respecs, etc. $10 for a bag is ridiculous. If I want to outfit my 2 characters (god forbid PWE gives us more char slots without asking for more money) with a couple bags each I have to drop $40?? That is almost enough money to buy a whole new game.

Personally I can't wait for the P2W/Cash shop fad to die out I'd much rather pay $15 a month and have access to all aspects of a game than knitpicking over bull**** digital items worth $0 in the real world.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whoever thought that $10 a bag at PWE was acceptable is on something else. You would have to be an idiot to pay that much for a virtual bag. Make it craftable and sellable for gold. Greedy, greedy people.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am really tight on bag space, it has been my only "need to have" thing on this game. I would love to see some type of crafted bags, or even a 10 slot AD purchased one from that vendor in my top menu... just to help. So later in the game when I am able to purchase zen I can upgrade to a 24 slot with some farming in a couple of days.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unholyjedi wrote: »
    well Im thinking the prices for the items are fine. because from what I seen you ger these diamond thingies and you can purchase that stuff with those unless I misinterpreted that or misread it or something?

Astral diamonds can be converted to zen, yes. But the grind for enough to buy one bag is ridiculous.

Edit: Is it surprising that no admins have posted here yet? Lol
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    welly321 wrote: »
    The inventory limitation is a disgusting cash grab. Why do these developers think this is a good business model?

Because the consumers suck it up and even justify it.
    am0nr3x wrote: »
    Beta is a lie. This is a F2P game that is no longer wiping characters and is available for everyone to play and is accepting cash. It's released. They call it an Open Beta so the White Knights can come in here and use the "It's just beta!" slogan until they turn blue.

Glad that I see more people waking up. Apparently we participated in too many "open betas" to know better.
    That's a fact!
  • Options
    slowshieldslowshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I agree the prices should be a bit lower to make it more player friendly for the masses..
    However, did it occur to you guys that if they were to suddenly decrease the prices now on a large scale, who would be the ones raging... all the players who have just purchased the bags for $10, mounts for $40 etc.. So since it is already priced that way, I don't think they can easily change it with immediate effect without agro-ing somebody... surely someone would be unhappy either way.
    Next thing they'd be hearing would be like 'I JUST BOUGHT THIS FOR $10 and now it costs $5? REFUND ME NOW!' , which I believe would be one of their considerations if they even want to reduce price.. I'm pretty sure they *might* consider it sometime but probably not with immediate effect.

Hopefully their pricing will become more player friendly! Meanwhile, I shall focus on leveling up first ! :p and carefully spec my character :p
    <Archons> +8 GMT Oceanic Guild, 300 Member Strong @ Dragon Server!
    banner.png
    Silverblade (60 TR), Silver (60 DC), SilverShield (60 GF), SilverStorm (60 CW), Ultimate (60 GWF)
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phaerius wrote: »
    When the game drops 10 different types of runestones/enchants at five different ranks, bag space becomes a premium. When I need to fill my bag with four different profession kits, id scrolls, injury kits, altars, gear for companions and myself when I reach that level, I run out of space. And no, rarely is there a vendor nearby in a dungeon, so trying to say "There is always a vendor" is just blatantly untrue. I've run out of space in every dungeon I've run, I've taken to tossing things that aren't for my class without even identifying them, because I won't have the space to keep them in my bag.

Oh Jesus....:rolleyes:

Yes, there isn't a vendor right outside your Dungeon door like in Lineage II, but vendors are close closer than just about any other MMO I have played, also if you bags aren't filled with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> before you go in you will have plenty of space, you are not going to fill your sixty slots (and you will actually have closer to 90 slots by the time you start doing significant Dungeons) unless you are being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and rolling need on everything.

The actual story is the power gamers want to stay out all day with cheap to free unlimited slots,and they are use to crying and getting their way..I don't see it happening this time and it will have zero effect on how much is sold on the Cash shop, because regardless of all the talk people end up paying.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am really tight on bag space, it has been my only "need to have" thing on this game. I would love to see some type of crafted bags, or even a 10 slot AD purchased one from that vendor in my top menu... just to help. So later in the game when I am able to purchase zen I can upgrade to a 24 slot with some farming in a couple of days.

Actually that was talked about in Alpha and I think it very well may happen, you won't be seeing 24 bags being craftable but ten slots sure...
  • Options
    mcwaffle777mcwaffle777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bag is the best priced thing in there. Inventory space and the cost to obtain is crucial to the economy. In a game like this with it being expensive to obtain players will be limited in space and forced to sell things they would otherwise hoarde, they made this doable from anywhere via AH. I like people more willing to sell then hoarde.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no doubt these prices will come down. Right now I'm personally not spending a dime. After $250 invested in this game I can't open my lock boxes? I have 8 bank slots? If I didn't buy 3 bags of holding I'd still only have like 10 slot bags and I'm at level 56. I haven't found a single decent bag except for a couple small ones during levels 1-30.

I also went thru a 5 level stint where I was constantly out of medium ID scrolls and had to spend AD on them. That changed and now I have a plethora.

Omg don't get me started on unbinding enchants. Save for maybe spending 1k AD on scrolls I'm down to 1.4 million AD out of my 2 million just from unbinding enchants alone.

So far I've had little luck selling stuff in the AH, even with gross undercutting. I think this is due to broken filters. I know I don't bother browsing right now... Don't like navigating thru 50 screens of level 20 gear at level 56 in hopes there is a reasonably priced upgrade.
  • Options
    grikgidgrikgid Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    Astral diamonds can be converted to zen, yes. But the grind for enough to buy one bag is ridiculous.

Edit: Is it surprising that no admins have posted here yet? Lol

They are clearly in agreement with the majority that think some items are way overpriced - :)
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no doubt these prices will come down. Right now I'm personally not spending a dime. After $250 invested in this game I can't open my lock boxes? I have 8 bank slots? If I didn't buy 3 bags of holding I'd still only have like 10 slot bags and I'm at level 56. I haven't found a single decent bag except for a couple small ones during levels 1-30.

I also went thru a 5 level stint where I was constantly out of medium ID scrolls and had to spend AD on them. That changed and now I have a plethora.

Omg don't get me started on unbinding enchants. Save for maybe spending 1k AD on scrolls I'm down to 1.4 million AD out of my 2 million just from unbinding enchants alone.

So far I've had little luck selling stuff in the AH, even with gross undercutting. I think this is due to broken filters. I know I don't bother browsing right now... Don't like navigating thru 50 screens of level 20 gear at level 56 in hopes there is a reasonably priced upgrade.
    sir, you will be poor until you die :P You have a complete lack of math and economic education (US one doesn't count).

1) you have 16 bank slots by default not 8
    2) from level 30 on you should have 60 bagspace for free (30+18+12), not 10 (oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you are Hero founder, that's another +12 for you then)
    3) spending AD for removing enchantments is really stupid. One look at AH would tell you it's cheaper to buy new one (or don't use lvl 5 and 6 on items you will throw away in next hour)
    4) now I see where are my AD comes from, started with 600k, got like 3.8M now
    5) ID scroll for AD are cheap, identified every single item I've found and it's worth a fortune

you really doing something wrong on AH, I always sell everything I put there withing hours (well, I don't put craps there ofc, nobody is looking for lvl 20 gear for AD; also undercutting 100k offer with 80k offer for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> won't work either, seen many of those).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The marketplace cant survive in the state it is in
    1ovlbg9.png

• Options
    zhaocore86zhaocore86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elenoe8 wrote: »
    sir, you will be poor until you die :P You have a complete lack of math and economic education (US one doesn't count).

1) you have 16 bank slots by default not 8
    2) from level 30 on you should have 60 bagspace for free (30+18+12), not 10 (oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you are Hero founder, that's another +12 for you then)
    3) spending AD for removing enchantments is really stupid. One look at AH would tell you it's cheaper to buy new one (or don't use lvl 5 and 6 on items you will throw away in next hour)
    4) now I see where are my AD comes from, started with 600k, got like 3.8M now
    5) ID scroll for AD are cheap, identified every single item I've found and it's worth a fortune

you really doing something wrong on AH, I always sell everything I put there withing hours (well, I don't put craps there ofc, nobody is looking for lvl 20 gear for AD; also undercutting 100k offer with 80k offer for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> won't work either, seen many of those).

hmm, 60 bagspace? just hit 30 last night and i only have 1 extra bagspace =/...it was from a mission when i was in lv12 i believe.
    What missions give you other bag spaces?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    M I N D F L A Y E R | D C | G W F
  • Options
    vinunleadedvinunleaded Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP....there is reasonable cash shop prices and then there is exploitation.
    The game will not make money if prices are too high and/or if the game is designed to shaft players if they refuse to spend alot of money.
    I feel it is reasonable to buy $59 worth of stuff in a F2P game, as that is what a game costs to buy these days and I dont expect them to provide this game as a FREE SERVICE. SO once I spend $50, thats IT NO MORE.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP....there is reasonable cash shop prices and then there is exploitation.
    The game will not make money if prices are too high and/or if the game is designed to shaft players if they refuse to spend alot of money.
    I feel it is reasonable to buy $59 worth of stuff in a F2P game, as that is what a game costs to buy these days and I dont expect them to provide this game as a FREE SERVICE. SO once I spend $50, thats IT NO MORE.

And for your 50.00 you get all the game content all the starter classes and races, no game-play or crafting restrictions, will never have to pay for an expansion pack and access to the very best gear in the game. That's IT NO MORE.

Seems fair to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zhaocore86 wrote: »
    hmm, 60 bagspace? just hit 30 last night and i only have 1 extra bagspace =/...it was from a mission when i was in lv12 i believe.
    What missions give you other bag spaces?

Sgt Knox offers a couple there is one in Black lake and your hero rewards chest gives you a couple. That's right off the top of my head.
  • Options
    hadryel1hadryel1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well IMO the problem with the cash shop comes down to bags and respecs.
    The bags on he cash shop should stay imo, but it should be make account wide. My problem with it is if you reroll, its lost. I wont mind paying 10€ to get extra bags in my 2 char slots and the rest if i decide to buy more (i find the price for the xtra slots ok too).
    But the respecs should go out of the cash shop. Its the only thing i cant understand to be forced to pay for, specially if we can see changes in skills and feats. Also, tho it have nothing to do with the cash shop, the respec system should become more easy... you have to do like 2 diferent respecs if you want to change? UF :S
    I like to spend some money on F2P games i like, like a monthly fee, but im not sure if i will keep playing if i have to pay for respec. Its a nono for me :S
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The reason why Perfect World is doing this is because EVERY OTHER MMO with a free to play model is doing it. And they do it because people actually buy inventory bags... I know. It's hard to imagine...

Look... This game costs us absolutely nothing to get into. Anyone who spent money on a starter kit or a bundle pack or whatever has done so of their own free will. Nobody has been required to spend a single dime on this game.

If you are serious about being dedicated to this game, treat it as if it has a subscription fee. Spend or allocate $15 each month towards spending on the cash shop. Set your own limit. Pace yourself because I promise you, based on Cryptic's track record with their other games, once you exhaust all the existing content, you'll be waiting months for anything new to come along...

Remember. You are not REQUIRED to spend anything on this game if you do not want to. We were told in advance that all quest content they will release will be freely available, and that they would be monetizing items players will want.

WANT. not NEED.

You can manage with less inventory space. Just be frugal in terms of what you want to lug around with you. And if it is that big of a deal, and you really feel like you must have more space, then buy it. The game is free to play, not free to get. There is no optional subscription model with this game... ALL of their revenue will be based on cash shop sales... ALL of it. Them's the cards we were dealt. And we were dealt them face-up for all to see...
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    grooviedoodgrooviedood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IDK 10$ for a large bag isn't bad. Why's everyone's panties in a twist I got a couple. they aren't character bound. Respec tokens you gotta pay cash money. it isn't like the trees hurt your brain to figure out. Ya companions are expensive, but you know I did buy a honey badger. w/e 15$ for a character starter pack again w/e you get some good stuff to start off with. so even if you have a whopping 2 characters that's
    10 for a bag.
    10 for a little extra bank space (if you feel you need it.)
    mounts are character wide.
    you can unbind companions and sell em if you want.
    $1.25 for a key is w/e

I don't think it's bad at all.

even if you pay 30$ for each of your 2 characters. that's a new game right there. and after your initial investment get your 15$ of zen a month for AD.

All I See is q.q, but I don't think it's to bad.

btw let me stress. the only thing bound to you character is the gold and AD in their pocket and the shirt on their back. all those crafting companions. party companions and bags you bought you can send or sell to you heart's content.

again my .02
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The reason why Perfect World is doing this is because EVERY OTHER MMO with a free to play model is doing it. And they do it because people actually buy inventory bags... I know. It's hard to imagine...

Hmm, I don't find it hard to imagine at all. The items I'm most likely to buy in any f2p game are 1. inventory expansion, 2. bank expansion, 3. shared bank space, 4. costumes/fashion.

Of course, I'm a packrat. Increased storage or carrying capacity is what I look for in every loot-based game I play, online or offline. /shrug

But only if they're permanent. Last two f2p games I tried, only wanted to sell people additional storage that expired after 30 days. You think the bags here suck? Think about if they disappeared on you!
  • Options
    dornstoneshielddornstoneshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Yea...love the game and completely willing to spend cash...but of the dozens of games I do/have spent money on...the ONLY ones I have ever regretted have been this and Star Trek. I drop 30-50$ on zen...spend it in like 2 minutes and am left wondering WTF I actually got for my money? Real bad taste here and if I could stop myself I would...

Stay away from the **** profession packs if you can...freaking definition of wasted money.
  • Options
    slashcryslashcry Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, and look at the reputation of all those other F2P mmorpgs out there. Being able to buy bags is fine, they just handle it like a painfully obvious cash grab. If I'm spending $10 for ONE BAG, that bag should at least be mailed to every character new/old.
    Look... This game costs us absolutely nothing to get into. Anyone who spent money on a starter kit or a bundle pack or whatever has done so of their own free will. Nobody has been required to spend a single dime on this game.
    I hate when people use the F2P thing as a defense to the game. People act as if they went F2P out of the kindness of their hearts and wanted what was best for us. Sorry to break it to you, but they knew they would attract more money by getting a larger audience and implementing their Zen shop.
    If you are serious about being dedicated to this game, treat it as if it has a subscription fee. Spend or allocate $15 each month towards spending on the cash shop. Set your own limit. Pace yourself because I promise you, based on Cryptic's track record with their other games, once you exhaust all the existing content, you'll be waiting months for anything new to come along...
    I would love to take the game serious, but everything about the game makes me feel it was implemented to go to the Zen shop. I would have been much happier if this game had costed $60 rather then this overpriced cash shop. Obviously I could spend $60 to get my bags and everything now, the thing is I don't want to give this company money with the way they handled their Zen shop and everything related to it.
    You can manage with less inventory space. Just be frugal in terms of what you want to lug around with you. And if it is that big of a deal, and you really feel like you must have more space, then buy it. The game is free to play, not free to get. There is no optional subscription model with this game... ALL of their revenue will be based on cash shop sales... ALL of it. Them's the cards we were dealt. And we were dealt them face-up for all to see...
    There's the problem for me. They try way to hard to get you to the Zen shop. I honestly feel like the ton of greens dropping is to overwhelm people's bags and make them wish they had more space in their inventory. If they had made bags easier to obtain in game and just sold larger bags in the Zen shop I'd be happy.
  • Options
    mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    grekthoran wrote: »

In my opinion, the prices are too high and I won't spend until they are lowered. I believe that eventually data will come out that reflects that. I really don't think I'm on an island here and I really do have faith that this feedback is being read by PW/Cryptic.

Don't you think Cryptic/PWE knows that the prices are already too high?
    They know exactly what they are doing. And these kind of tactics are disgusting! But yet people still support them!
    That's what just baffles the hell out of me how we gamers allow this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!

What gamers allow companies to do these days really make me sick.
  • Options
    dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    My question is what can we do.... Nothing, even voting with our wallets cause other people will just buy.
    Its sad a good game being killed.
  • Options
    vernoinferno71vernoinferno71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    PROTIP: Economics prove you wrong.

10,000 people may be willing to pay $40 for a mount making $400,000
    But 100,000 people may be willing to pay $10 for a mount making $1,000,000

Economics is actually VERY simple,

Economics, it really is simple...

While we are handing out pro-tips... You forgot one bit thing, COGS? If it cost $20 to make, then your first example looks a lot better to me than your 2nd one.
    Eg1 $ 200,000 profit
    Eg2 $1,000,000 loss

You are right, economics are so simple....
  • Options
    dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    It might satisfy people PWI if you even care to listen to make bags either craft-able or buy-able for gold and make respecs buy-able for gold.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    22 pages, and no response from devs on the issue. You guys really made this game to cash grab huh?
    1ovlbg9.png

This discussion has been closed.