Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• sheerkharsheerkhar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Yeah, the rubber-banding is just seeming getting worse the closer and closer we get to server maintenance.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Working on getting ahold of someone official to look into it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    It's really annoying that some rude child is controlling neverwinter. Literally my best friend and I quit playing when it becomes DDOS o' clock. There's no point. Our gaming is totally at his beck and call. I seriously can't believe what I've been seeing. A company being pushed around by one person who is bragging about it every night. Do you say nothing because you are totally at his mercy? Can nothing be done??​​
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    This is intolerable. Can't they find this person? File a lawsuit, call law enforcement, hire someone to go there and go Vegas on him, whatever. There HAS to be a solution to this.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • flamehellflamehell Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    i wonder if arc is ever going to lift a finger to protect its customer or lose them all one at a time becaus they care more about our money that to protect whats making us spend money in the first place?

#ddos #Pay2WinSucks #ArcL2ProtectYourGame
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

This is intolerable. Can't they find this person? File a lawsuit, call law enforcement, hire someone to go there and go Vegas on him, whatever. There HAS to be a solution to this.

Amen. They can trace him surely. And file a lawsuit...loss of earnings. People like this are a waste of oxygen. He probably thinks he's clever and is clearly desperate for attention. Pity him.
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
  • canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    What I find truly sad is that all connections are funneled through the same connection. That an attack on one entry point brings down gateway, Neverwinter and STO. That is truly sad.

DDOS are tough to combat but part of the plan to combat them would be to try and funnel traffic around...

A well guess it is an early night tonight.
    I'd feel a lot better if someone at Cryptic let us know that they at least contacted the FBI.
    edited January 2016

Okay everyone, I found the jerkoff doing this, and he's admitting to it on Twitter. Someone get somebody with authority in here right now to call the dang feds. DDoS attacks are a felony and this guy needs to get busted. It can't be that hard to call the cops, subpoena the IP records, and nail this twat to the freaking wall.

His name is NeverwinterGod, that's his @ on Twitter, anyone can see it for themselves.

That, sadly, isn't news. The little pr*ck has been doing this for a YEAR. He is well known. For the life of me, I don't understand why Twitter hasn't yanked his account.
  • helix#4749 helix Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    FIREWALL, IPS!!!!!!!Drops DDOS packets like a hot potato!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 96 Arc User

hustin1 said:

Amen. They can trace him surely. And file a lawsuit...loss of earnings. People like this are a waste of oxygen. He probably thinks he's clever and is clearly desperate for attention. Pity him.
    You're assuming he's American. I think some people who tracked him down on Twitter discovered he was Croatian or something from that region of the world, hence the timing of his attacks.
    848d8c4af425ca165c80f1959de02ba1-d7jlk1h.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Told my friends about this on Facebook;

I could hardly play online last night due to the lag spiking. I believe caused by another round of ddos attacks. At one point, I was rubber-banding so bad I had to look. So I typed /netgraph 1 and the entire graph was just a green block.

In my work, I understand it is not Cryptic's fault. These days you don't need to be any kind of uber hacker to launch a ddos attack. According to my sources, you can rent a botnet for $8 or $9 an hour.

Fixing security is problematic also, by changing your IP and sending new patches to the software, fixes it short term at best. Because your patch just gave the bad guy your new IP address. There are companies out there that will charge you monthly to reduce some of the attacks but never 100%.

If I am lagging I find a safe spot. Type /netgraph 1 into the chat window and watch for the attack to end. Type /netgraph 0 to turn off the micro graph. Looks like it is up to us to just play it safe and watch the network for playable times.
    hustin1 said:

This is intolerable. Can't they find this person? File a lawsuit, call law enforcement, hire someone to go there and break his wrists, whatever. There HAS to be a solution to this.

I work as database security engineer for banks and shopping centers. The problem is, he could be using the internet at the airport, local library, or even a Mc Donalds. A lot of people in game chat think he will get caught. Sadly as I told them last summer, it is not going to happen.

So even if this idiot is working from his home, and a lawyer gets an injunction for the list of IP addresses he is using to post on Twitter, all he would have to say in court is, "I was taking credit for something I had nothing to do with.". Because there is frankly no way to trace the botnet back to him.

Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
    rattler2 said:

hustin1 said:

You're assuming he's American. I think some people who tracked him down on Twitter discovered he was Croatian or something from that region of the world, hence the timing of his attacks.
    That's why you call the FBI. They have the means and the contacts to make something happen overseas if necessary.

Then someone here needs to find a real hacker to melt his dang computer or something. SWAT him, virus his computer, I don't care, just someone please stop him!

If he's renting a botnet to do it, going after him directly doesn't solve the problem because the zombies are still attacking. All he does is say when. If we're already getting hit, it doesn't solve a thing.
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    edited January 2016
    sameriker said:

Told my friends about this on Facebook;

I could hardly play online last night due to the lag spiking. I believe caused by another round of ddos attacks. At one point, I was rubber-banding so bad I had to look. So I typed /netgraph 1 and the entire graph was just a green block.

In my work, I understand it is not Cryptic's fault. These days you don't need to be any kind of uber hacker to launch a ddos attack. According to my sources, you can rent a botnet for $8 or $9 an hour.

Fixing security is problematic also, by changing your IP and sending new patches to the software, fixes it short term at best. Because your patch just gave the bad guy your new IP address. There are companies out there that will charge you monthly to reduce some of the attacks but never 100%.

If I am lagging I find a safe spot. Type /netgraph 1 into the chat window and watch for the attack to end. Type /netgraph 0 to turn off the micro graph. Looks like it is up to us to just play it safe and watch the network for playable times.

hustin1 said:

This is intolerable. Can't they find this person? File a lawsuit, call law enforcement, hire someone to go there and break his wrists, whatever. There HAS to be a solution to this.

I work as database security engineer for banks and shopping centers. The problem is, he could be using the internet at the airport, local library, or even a Mc Donalds. A lot of people in game chat think he will get caught. Sadly as I told them last summer, it is not going to happen.

So even if this idiot is working from his home, and a lawyer gets an injunction for the list of IP addresses he is using to post on Twitter, all he would have to say in court is, "I was taking credit for something I had nothing to do with.". Because there is frankly no way to trace the botnet back to him.
    Actually there is a way. If you can locate him, that's when you get a court order for a search warrant. Seize his computer and go through it with a microscope. If he's renting a botnet, the Feds then follow the money -- crawl through his bank records, credit card records, you name it. Believe me, they can nail him.

Call. The. F B I
    shadw2012 said:

well that was a nice 2 minutes of playing, actually charged some zen, oh well off to bed i guess. So i can get more SNR tomorrow when i try again.

Just wait it out.
    Trendy, STO's CM, is keeping us posted on status on the STO forums.
  • bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    rattler2 said:

hustin1 said:

From what I understand, DDOS attacks are a crime in the US, as well as a number of other countries. I am pretty sure Croatia (if that is his home) has signed up to the UN Convention against Transnational Crime... which means the US could demand co-operation from Croatia, even if the attacks are not illegal in that country. So his HAMSTER could get busted wherever he is.
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
  • gausnengausnen Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    If this happens one more time while I'm playing I'm through with this game. Cryptic has failed at so much, but to fail at even keeping their servers up is incomprehensible to me. Get your HAMSTER together.
    gausnen said:

If this happens one more time while I'm playing I'm through with this game. Cryptic has failed at so much, but to fail at even keeping their servers up is incomprehensible to me. Get your HAMSTER together.

No company is immune to DDoS. Even Blizzard has the occasional problem. Just ride it out with the rest of us man. He'll lose interest again.
  • juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    FFS just in time to ruin an otherwise flawless Valindra run.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    is it true that all companies have this issue? this is the only game where I've seen it happen this much.
    edit: and once again kicked out... it's impossible to work on the foundry like this...
    2e2qwj6.jpg