test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Oathbound Paladin

Comments

• Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    learch123 wrote: »
    is there a reason both smite and templars wrath have same icon

All of the icons are currently placeholder.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Question:
    Mr Crush when will we be able to use paragon feats i realy would love to give you some better feed back but i cant with out testing the feats in the paragon trees
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    voltomey wrote: »
    Mr Crush when will we be able to use paragon feats i realy would love to give you some better feed back but i cant with out testing the feats in the paragon trees

Question: Not to mention we won't see any of Voltomey's marvelous guides without them!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Not to mention we won't see any of Voltomey's marvelous guides without them!

I actually already have the guide ready from the bare naked play test its just missing the feat paths so a good chunk of info and play style on the class is missing. i am gonna have the guide skeleton up soon just finishing giving my honest feed back of the class from vl 1 to 70 atm the last 10 lvl were a pain in the ***.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    agcdphagcdph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Half-Elf ability Dilettante does not add +1 to an ability score.
    The Dragonborn race is not unlocked for me in the test shard but is in the play shard.
    There is no damage bonus applied to any ability score as in the other classes.
    The class mechanic Divine Call does nothing when used at 10-13 level.
  • Options
    pegasusgurlpegasusgurl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Devotion Paladins have no paragon feats.

I have this bug as well.

Bug: My Sanctuary ability is not working sometimes when I use the shift button.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Non-responsive shift blocking is an issue I have noticed on the Guardian Fighter, so shift not working is not a new bug unique to the paladin.

They don't have paragon feats because those aren't released yet.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback: Im one of the many old DnD player that is really dissapointed seeing a so-called paladin using a mace, but at least i can give u an idea to fix this. The solution has a name "BA:ST:ARD SWORD"!!!! People mentioned before the broad sword but thats not a typical paladin weapon either, meanwhile we have the historic "Purifier" as great example of paladin-only best one-handed weapon. At same time using a ******* sword can give the option of being used dual-handed if u feat him on "justice" that apparently is the DPS path for paladins, and give the paladin a serious increase of dmg and make him loose the defence part of the shield =).

Basically, make them fun and make them looks as true paladins, not clerics or GF that we already have.
  • Options
    agcdphagcdph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Divine Judgment is doing too much damage.
    Smite sound effect is going off well before any action.
    Burning light does not last 4 seconds under ant circumstance.
  • Options
    rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Banishment: Occasionally, enemies will remain stunned (but not invulnerable, hitting them knocks them out of it) beyond the 20 seconds.

EDIT: BTW, at lvl 60 Divine Judgement, based on tooltip, does 27.3k-32.5k damage. That's... maybe more damage than it should be doing.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Bug: Devotion Paladins have no paragon feats.

Bug: Me too, got to 30 and no way to spend points. All I could do was choose path
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Vow of Emnity: THE SCREECHING BURNS MY EARS

but seriously, every time I attack an enemy that I've placed the Vow on it repeats the casting sound over and over.
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rodrant64 wrote: »
    Vow of Emnity: THE SCREECHING BURNS MY EARS

but seriously, every time I attack an enemy that I've placed the Vow on it repeats the casting sound over and over.

Burning Light + Vow of Enmity = a whole hell of a lot of the same sound constantly repeating so much that it overwhelms headphones. this kinda needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    VoE: It also has a graphical bug where this has appeared a couple times, both in Sea Hag's Hold in Drowned Shores so could be an issue with the area or type of area, that didn't go away for a while.

c1544095d58cfd793ef9711c55aea3fd.png
  • Options
    lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    People are talking about being lvl50-60.
    There are no paragon feats yet right?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lococatt91 wrote: »
    People are talking about being lvl50-60.
    There are no paragon feats yet right?

yep were still a bare naked class atm hopefully they will fix this soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: My Sanctuary ability is not working sometimes when I use the shift button.

I haven't run into this in a way to call it a bug yet - I'm not saying it's not a bug, it may be. But I do notice a specific delay from pressing shift to when the blue circle appears; perhaps a full second or more. I know know if this is WAI or not, but it could be (to prevent OP from being OP or something). In fast moving action, tapping the shift key doesn't work, you have to press and hold it down firmly.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback LVL 40- 50 OP dps:
    I dont even know hou to say this :
    DEAL HEAVY RADIANT DMG : with 6000 power = around 40% dmg boost and 20 % arp my encounter tooltip and the dmg he deal in log Smite :200-300 dmg my Oath Strike at-wills deal around 100-200 dmg also Burning Light deal around 70-80 dmg.
    Somthing is terrible wrong i copied my lvl 50 GF same power same arp her at wills deal around 1000-1500 dmg her encounters deal around 2000-3000 dmg w/o paragon feats i used only heroic feats .

PS: I know OP is not the dps king but this is super low mybe the weapon dmg dont calculate on her at-wills and on her encounters
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    BUG: Graphics/Sound and damage: The graphics and sound are mismatched to the actual impact. On the Encounters, most of the time there is no graphics or sound associated and the only way I can tell it went off is because of the countdown clock. Dailies seem to show appropriately. At-Will mace work is all discombobulated between the sound, graphics, and damage, though the shield work appears to be functioning correctly.

Feedback: Overall, the early paladin does not appear that much different than the guardian fighter, expected and yet it still leaves me feeling a little bored. Perhaps it is just the bugs from the graphics and sound not making it look and feel that much different.

Feedback: Damage mitigation with the early paladin is potion intensive. Don't know about anyone else, but I never had to use that much potion with the guardian fighter or great weapon fighter in comparison even during testing before release of the game, and now it is even easier since I bought the big pack at the very beginning (Delzoun weapon and panther FTW). Seems like the paladin takes a ton of damage per encounter compared to the GWF and GF at least at the beginning.

Feedback: The very first encounter being one that assists with healing the paladin seems a bit of a slap in the face. What good is that in the tutorial section? Can't even see what it actually does unless you happen to be partying with a cleric. Should be something of more solo-play use.

Feedback: So far loving just how much aggro the paladin can gain with a shield shot AoE. Hoping this is kept up as the levels progress, and from what you've described I'm anticipating it.

Summary: Aside from the graphics and sound difficulties and how much it appears like a copy of the guardian fighter in the early levels, I greatly look forward to finally playing a paladin.

Side note: Still hoping a bard isn't too far away (hint hint hint)...
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Rank 20ish, all quests and mini dungeons, and bosses etc so far have been a breeze, so i decided to see how nasty they can be.

we all know for a fact that when Pally is on Lie server, people will twink them with fancy pets and rank 10's in every open slot they can.

so decided to see what the average twink would play like.. wow.. I feel bad for anyone fighting these guys in the 10-19 PvP DOminations
    im at like lvl 21 with almost 19k HP lol
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback LVL 40- 50 OP dps:
    I dont even know hou to say this :
    DEAL HEAVY RADIANT DMG : with 6000 power = around 40% dmg boost and 20 % arp my encounter tooltip and the dmg he deal in log Smite :200-300 dmg my Oath Strike at-wills deal around 100-200 dmg also Burning Light deal around 70-80 dmg.
    Somthing is terrible wrong i copied my lvl 50 GF same power same arp her at wills deal around 1000-1500 dmg her encounters deal around 2000-3000 dmg w/o paragon feats i used only heroic feats .

PS: I know OP is not the dps king but this is super low mybe the weapon dmg dont calculate on her at-wills and on her encounters

I test play a zone then stop to percolate on the results, which I did last night with Blacklake District and I have been thinking about it all night and have come to the same (or similar) conclusion.

Mental mode 1: as a shiny new player - Paladin with default at-wills and encounters (two points into each at-will and one point in everything else) the Blacklake campaign felt pretty good, if a bit slow. Everything felt nicely balanced "challenge-wise" as a "new player". This comment, however, mostly centers on the end-of-zone Karzov Boss Fight:

As a NEW PLAYER it felt good; the boss was very tough and it took quite some time to whittle him down to defeat. However, I also had zero need to attack any of the Adds - I stayed 100% on Karpov only using the RMB AoE to "automatically" whack the adds. Fair enough and is fine since Karzov himself is so hard to defeat (yeah: I even sucked-down my first health potion). As a new player I felt a sense of accomplishment.

///

Mental mode 2: As an EXPERIENCED PLAYER - Where The F is my DPS? Having multiple versions of every other class leveled to 60 I remember the Karpov fight clearly. EVEN my (mod 3 time period) GF and pre-Mod 5 DCs did not take this painfully long to defeat Karzov. This fight was excruciatingly SLOW. I *know* this class is 100% utility and DPS is not a genuine option for it.

However here is my concern: In CO-OP group play everything is just fine and perfect as it should be. However, in SOLO play everything will take freakin' *forever*. It's not a question of survivability with this class, we get it. However, with my experience of two years in NW and recognizing the vast inconsistencies of "End-Boss" challenge levels I fear some end-boss fights will simply take *too long*; Blackdagger Ruins, Ice Spire peak, and Chasm come to mind in terms of very challenging end-bosses that could take a very long time to defeat with the existing DPS output, level-appropriate gear and feats notwithstanding.

My deflation in it is not about DPS itself, or the challenge or survivability, but rather in *how long* it took to finish that fight.

Please consider: increase the "base" (or "default") DPS output JUST A PINCH. Bring it on-par at least with the Mod 3 DC - it will remain the class with the least DPS in lieu of tank/healing abilities; encounters will still take a bit longer than with any other class, but it won't become so painfully long in Solo leveling play.
  • Options
    atriaratriar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello everyone!

It has been a long time now since i am waiting for the paladin, and it looks like my wish comes true, so i am glad that i already can test it on the preview server.

At the moment my Devotion Paladin is level 49 -> item level 39 -> power 2977

I am leveling up without using any Expreience Tome or Dragon Bone equipment to see the "true" nature of the Oathbound Paladin. On the first look, the paladin holds many potentional but it's damage output is so ridiculously low that i have had many fight where i thought to hang myself up. For example; i had to use the so called "OP" and "BROKEN" Divine Judgement 3 times on Halas the Pure until it died already.

I apologize in advance if i call out bugs which were mentioned before, but i wish to state the ones i expereinced myself in the game.

Bug: Snactuary
    - Sometimes does not activate properly and my paladin just holds up the shield without any effect.
    - Heal no other players than me. Tested with party and solo gaming.

Bug: Valorous Strike
    The follow up effect of the slash (the yellow lines) are happening before the actual slash animation itself. It feels like playing with heavy lag but without any lag. In short the animation of this ability is a mess.

Bug: Radiant Strike
    - I can activate this ability from a bit further range than intended; because of it my character do start the rush but at the end of the false rush it teleports me back to the starting point.
    - Using an ability (like Smite) after Radiant Strike will repeat the animation of the Radiant Strike instead of using its own.

Bug: Auras
    The auras are stacking meanwhile the gentlemans on the stream are stated they shouldn't.

Bug: Aura of Courage
    - Sometimes just turns off and i need to reslot to activate it. Happens after relog and map changing.
    - If somebody dies in the paladin's group, after coming back that player/companion will not benefit from the Aura of Courage, the paladin need to reslot it.

Bug: Aura of Vengeance
    Does not apply Aura of Courage on proc.

Bug: Burning Light
    My paladin does 72 damage per second at rank 3.

Bug: Smite
    - The sound effect comes before the strike happens.
    - The ability says;
    Smash a target, igniting them with holy fire for 15 seconds. My paladin does 78 damage per second with this ignite effect. I honestly do hope this is just a bug.
    - The ignite effect does not apply
    Aura of Courage.

Bug: Bane
    I am not 100% sure but the X mark on the GF and GFW gives combat advantage while the X mark created by Bane does not.

Bug: Divine Touch
    This ability says Deal heavy Radiant damage ... this heavy radiant damage on my paladin is 310 at rank 3.

Early in the game this power seems insanely strong but when you reach Ebon Downs this daily start to lose face and will do only 1/3 damage to a Bone Golem. If we take it consideration that this is the ONLY and ONE damaging daily power the paladin has, i think this kind of "strength" is justified.

It's sound effect is maddening.

To be honest the mace was never iconic to the paladin... and never will be. Blunt weapon appears on only a few whome fight against the undead AND they are usually using LIGHT HAMMER and not mace.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I may have missed it but:

Bug: Bane
    Targets are not marked correctly each time. One out of ten times I see a mark. They may actually BE marked but I don't see it.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    jharlisjharlis Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Ok, time to give my 2 cents about the OP.
    Currently lvl 24, i pretend to lvl it to 30 to see what happens with the oath, and then wait for the paragon paths release.
    So far i've encoutered many bugs related to skills, and there are a few things that i hope they'll change about the paladin.

Feedback: If you pretend to let maces into the game, at least make them bigger, they look ridiculously small compared to our shields (that are pretty ugly too ...). And let us use GF shields, they are the same : Heavy, Shield, Off-hand.
    I'd rather have swords though, like many other people posted/justified here. ( and the OP has a sword in the character creation page godammit)

Bug : Raising the shields sometimes does nothing, no block, no heal.

Feedback : while the shield is raised, we can't do jack. No attacks. Just walking around.... Feels odd since GF can joyously attack while blocking more, as a counterpart we indeed heal and mitigate less damage, but we can't attack. Also, having a feat to increase the AoE of the Shift ability would be nice.

Bug : Feat : Light's Shield it does nothing. I suppose it's a flat 2.5% res amount. Yet it doesn't increast my res% sheet.

Bug : Divine Action feat : tooltip misleading, although the following effect is logical, it's not written in the tooltip: the flat 5% action point gain (awesome) by using divine call only works while fighting.

Feedback : Divine Judgement is only overpowered during the first boss encounter (tutorial), and only if 1vs1, if there are more than one target, the damage gets pretty low. Maybe lower its damage for pvp.

Feedback : Divine Call : if we're indeed a class support regenerating divine call shouldn't be only by hitting ennemies while in combat, it should imho be by : taking damage/healing/dealing damage.

Can't talk about the stacking auras with other paladins, since i only soloed so far.

Feedback: Smite : the DoT damage was increadibly lame, and didn't last the promised 15 seconds.

Feedback : Lay on Hands, an iconic paladin skills but the effects don't make sense. It shouldn't heal 100% of the max HP ( = 7k life at my lvl) but rather heal the amount of life missing. This causes LoH to only costs very few action points (below 20%) regardless of the amount of life missing.

Feedback : Aura of Courage : I don't get it, sometimes if feels like it's automatically included in your attack damage sometimes it shows as an extra damage.

That should be all for now, it felt really pleasant to play the OP, a bit clumsy ( like the GF), slow (not as much as the GF).
    Some people said they never used a pot, i did have to, in some situations, maybe my gear wasn't as good as yours.
    The sanctuary heal (shift) is lame, honestly. I don't know how it scales but since we can't attack while using it at least make it a better heal.
    Divine call heal is low. It heals something like 3-4% of our total hp per use. That's really not enough if we get to aggro all the mobs. And since we can't use more than 3-4 times before having to attack to regen it, it makes a total of 9-16% life recovered.
    Veeeeery low IMHO.
    Can't wait to test the rest.
    If i have offended anyone, i apologize.
    If i said <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, i apologize too :)

Ps : Feedback: Please reorganize/increase heroic feats, as they are i guess most of the OP will take the 3 first ones life/crit/divine action/whatever in the middle since they're all lame and you don't have much choice/ tough decision for the 4th column. ( more life i guess)
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback : Aura of Courage : I don't get it, sometimes if feels like it's automatically included in your attack damage sometimes it shows as an extra damage.
    hou it works i tell you : cuz Aura of Courage is divine dmg and all you dmg is divine but only encounters and at-will can crit so when you crit you will see only your encounter dmg like Smite crit 658 on lvl 56 this is a joke but then you can see on log Smite crit 658 + you deal 696 divine dmg from Aura of Courage "cuz courage cannot crit .
    This is why i dont understand this "pally" have great base crit chance but only her at-wills and encounters can crit with such low dmg i dont even belive crit 800-900 dmg can draw the agro from 250000 cagi DS I-rays IBS Aimed shoot etc etc ..
    Those encounter dmg are too low 500 % threat will not help they need 50000 % threat if the base dmg stay as it is now.

Simply w/o Aura of Courage bonus dmg pallys dmg is soo low my white wayland wizard done in 1 hour 1 mill more dmg then my paladin with full dmg encounters + The soo called OWERPOWERED Divine Judgement BY the way after 50 i dont feel it owerpowered 6- 10 k crits .

By the way i dont use any no lvl gear/or EXP scrolls i only use what i get from camp to see clear results , to provide better feedback.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I will say that the Oathbound Paladin starts to look a bit less overpowered as the game progresses, but I'm into Neverdeath now, & things are SO FAR, still a breeze. Me & my Wayward Wizard companion just eviscerate the mobs with a combo of Burning Light & Templar's Wrath, & when the big guys are left, I just Sacred Weapon them to death in a few seconds. The really tough ones I hit with Divine Judgment, & they either go straight down, or drop pretty low in their HP bar.

I did have to use a potion or 2 bringing down Jareth Grim, though. Nothing like "potion intensive" though. I have at least found a few enemies who deal out damage faster than Sanctuary can keep up, so I'm not UTTERLY invincible. Seriously, though, for the most part few things bring me down to even half health.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jharlisjharlis Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Me & my Wayward Wizard companion just eviscerate the mobs
    Companion that at lvl 1 deals much more damage than us. ( without considering its slowliness)
    I wonder what it'll be like at his lvl 15/20 ( gotta wait a few hours)
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    From my experience as Protection Paladin

Powers

At-Wills at wills seems lacking Valorous Strike feels exactly the same as Oath Strike, also Radiant strike has too much going with huge AoE and gap closer, since its our only AoE at-will its used a lot and that animation doesnt fit an attack you spam, my suggestion would be make Radiant strike just a normal AoE attack with normal animation and move gap closer to Oath strike position and as a single target attack - that would make all at-wills different and give our only aoe at-will proper animation

Smite is just bad, up til lvl 49 i havent noticed any reason to use it instead of an at-will, the damage should be at least 3x to be worth using.

Sacred weapon - it often cancels cast when using other skills, it should have shorter cast

Bane and Vow of Emnity feel too similar, kind of fill same function, maybe in dungeons/pvp each would have their use, but atm they feel too similar, they should be just rolled in 1 ability

Divine touch - it says "heavy radiant damage" well it deals about half of damage of a single target at-will, at it seems pointless, that skill needs either massive damage boost or should be replaced with a new encounter and its effect could be added to Sacred weapon
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feeback: Oath of Devotion's Sanctuary
    I feel like this is just too powerful. It starts off as an okay heal before you take an oath, but getting 12 times stronger when you hit level 30 turns you into an unkillable machine. This really became apparent for me when I started pulling everything in the Xinclar Enclave and Stormcaller Caves in Vellosk. I never came anywhere close to dying, and there wasn't a single moment where I even thought to use a potion.

Bug: Vow of Emnity
    Once in a while, using Vow causes a purple line that extends from my charactar's hand to the target of my vow. And this line persist beyong that creature's death, so I get a line sticking out of me until I move to a new area. The picture below shows what it looks like.

AVqfJFN.jpg

The Devotion version heals for several thousand. Per enemy hit. Just went through Rime Hound Den (pulling everything to the boss room because OPs are OP), and I was getting heals of 18k. Every 7 seconds. Combined with the healing from Sanctuary, Devotion Paladins become practically immortal.

Having tested out both paragon paths over the last few days, I can't think of more than a few moments past level 30 where I used Divine Call for its original effect. I only used it for the AP generation when feated. This is mostly due to Sanctuary being a constantly superior option for both paths. Protection's Sanctuary grants much higher Damage REsistance and Devotion's heals for far, far more. There doesn't seem to be much use for Divine Call outside of group play where Portection Paladins can use it to taunt.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Question - Does the Paladin have a class questline? HRs still don't have one (nor do dragonborn have race quests), though they did a decent job with the SW.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
This discussion has been closed.