test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Oathbound Paladin

gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

Today we are excited to unveil some more details about our next class, the Oathbound Paladin. Oathbound Paladins can become either tanks or healers using their Paragon Paths, which allow them to take either an Oath of Protection or an Oath of Devotion. These paths confer unique passives in addition to their own powers, as well as modifying all encounter powers the Paladin has.

There are a lot of powers, so we are not going to list them here. However we would like feedback focused on how the power progression feels and how the Paladin performs at filling both a tank and healer role (as appropriate). Keep in mind that much of the art is placeholder or not final.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Feedback
    We need to collect as much feedback as possible on this so we can tweak the Paladin in PVE and performance in PVP. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Destroyer
    Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.

Please try to play for a few hours to get used to the Paladin. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!

Chris “Gentleman_Crush” Meyer
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Bug: Sgt. Knox doesn't give encounter power overview at level 3.

Bug: Sgt. Knox doesn't tell how to use shift key power during catapult bombardment on sleeping dragon bridge.

Bug: Sgt. Knox doesn't give daily overview before the gatehouse on sleeping dragon bridge.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bug: No stat gives paladins bonus damage.

This is currently not considered a bug. As Paladins do not have a damage focused Paragon Path or Feat Path they instead have more utility stats granted by their attribute points.
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: No stat gives paladins bonus damage.

I'm not sure if that is a bug, it might be intentional. It was stated that the Paladins are a support class, and neither of their paragons provide many Damage utilities.'

Since I know a dev is in this thread right now - Where are the patch notes? XD
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is currently not considered a bug. As Paladins do not have a damage focused Paragon Path or Feat Path they instead have more utility stats granted by their attribute points.

Good idea for a utility class :D
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    reds351 wrote: »
    Good idea for a utility class :D

I love this design too, Pally's power seem to be a bit on the OP side especially on the dmg mitigation area. Giving stats no bonus dmg/heal might help make this class more unique. Great design, I am gonna test this class tonight!
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    TY CRUSH FOR Giving paldins a long range gap closer early on in the game now we will not be total fodder in early pvp
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Unable to access paladin class after deletion

I created a female tiefling paladin. I didn't like the length of her tail so I deleted the character. Now I do not have access to the paladin class. I checked the other races and paladin does not appear for me. I've exited the game and even rebooted my laptop. The paladin class option has not returned.

Edit: Just loaded the game again and now it is back. Might be something to still look into.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Devotion Paladins have no paragon feats.
  • Options
    shyntershynter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Paladin's don't get damage on one of their abilities, which feels unfair if nothing else. Actually undecided here, because some of the extra utility stuff is kind of cool. But you may be taking the 'No damage' thing too far, as I'm currently worried about being able to do the daily grind without someone holding my hand. Or completing 80% of the pvp boons.

Suggestion:Paladin
    Rename them Templar Clerics, because you've basically given us oldschool D&D clerics. (This is not a put down, I like what I see but haven't had a chance to test yet, but they do not feel like a holy warrior/knight, they feel like a walking ambulance.)

Something:Paladin
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, so it's purple. My first daily (the sword thing) one shot the big zombie dude in the tutorial, which, while awesome, might mean that it's too much damage (Or that I got a crazy crit, not sure). And will possibly be misleading to new paladins, as they aren't going to be damage dealers later in the game.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug:
    There is no Mulhorand Weapon dropping from the Jeweled Thayan Equipment Crate.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Sanctuary
    Does not heal allies as stated in the tooltip, the icon buff remains after the ability is not affecting you (Not sure if it still grants bonuses but the icon is still there)
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited February 2015

This is as much testing as I'm willing to do. If you had granted me an increase in lv to 60 or 70 I would have tested the other abilities but I can't bother level'ing a guy in a server that doesn't count.

If you release something to power level our guys to 60 and give basic gear then I will resume testing and bug testing

Edit: can someone mute those guys debating stuff on a feedback thread? They obviously didn't read how to post on this thread
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    banegrivmbanegrivm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Using a mace really irks me. The screen at the beginning shows the paladin using a sword. Why are we being forced to use maces? I saw the twitch feed and saw a dev say that maces were "iconic" for paladins. I've been playing table top D&D for 33 years now and I've never once seen (or heard) of a paladin using a mace (or a hammer for that matter). It's always been swords. I've been playing MMO's since the first; the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL and countless others since, and in all those years following not once have I ever seen a mace or paladin on a paladin. It's typically been a sword.

Not to mention that Gygax based the paladin class on the myths and legends of paladins from our real world, in which they are always knights. The first paladin of legend inparticular fits the paladin written into the Players Handbook of 1st Edition D&D, which is none other than St. George. St. George rode around on a white horse (paladin warhorse) named Bayard and carred a magic sword (holy sword) named Ascalon that he used to slay dragons with, between the time of Uther Pendragon and before King Arthur took the throne of Camelot. Paladins according to Myth and Legend were knights who all used swords as their common weapons, not maces. Even the Knights Templar who were priests turned knights used swords. Maces in D&D (and in MMO's) have traditionally been cleric weapons, not paladin weapons. I've talked to others who are also bothered by the lack of swords who share the feeling of having a "non paladin weapon" forced upon them.

Suggestion: Paladin Weapons

In the livestream I know it was also said that the paladin class would share some of the textures for armors. Why can you not go back and simply change some of the weapons around so that we get actual swords instead. I know in the livestream you said we can transmute, and I say this with the utmost respect... that feels cheap. I shouldn't have to transmute something and pay hand over fist for something that should be a basic tenement to the class. As a role player and considering this is based on the greatest role playing game ever made, I'd love to see this simple aesthetic be brought into game. As an RP'er myself and long term gamer I find it a detractor to the "role play" factor of the paladin. The more you can do to make it feel like an actual paladin, the more enjoyable it will be.

While grouped with a guildmate earlier I was having moments where Sanctuary was not working at all. I was thinking that it might simply just be lag. However, when I did get it to work, on multiple occasions while grouped he was hurt and I got sanctuary to work and he was not getting any healing at all. Also I tested sanctuary with someone in Blacklake District who was at about 50 percent health and I tried healing them. It was clearly working, but again, only for me.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
    Sovereign Lord of the 1st Fist of Light
    Global Handle: @Marshal_Valor
  • Options
    equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    banegrivm wrote: »

Using a mace really irks me. The screen at the beginning shows the paladin using a sword. Why are we being forced to use maces? I saw the twitch feed and saw a dev say that maces were "iconic" for paladins. I've been playing table top D&D for 33 years now and I've never once seen (or heard) of a paladin using a mace (or a hammer for that matter). It's always been swords. I've been playing MMO's since the first; the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL and countless others since, and in all those years following not once have I ever seen a mace or paladin on a paladin. It's typically been a sword.

Not to mention that Gygax based the paladin class on the myths and legends of paladins from our real world, in which they are always knights. The first paladin of legend inparticular fits the paladin written into the Players Handbook of 1st Edition D&D, which is none other than St. George. St. George rode around on a white horse (paladin warhorse) named Bayard and carred a magic sword (holy sword) named Ascalon that he used to slay dragons with, between the time of Uther Pendragon and before King Arthur took the throne of Camelot. Paladins according to Myth and Legend were knights who all used swords as their common weapons, not maces. Even the Knights Templar who were priests turned knights used swords. Maces in D&D (and in MMO's) have traditionally been cleric weapons, not paladin weapons. I've talked to others who are also bothered by the lack of swords who share the feeling of having a "non paladin weapon" forced upon them.

Suggestion: Paladin Weapons

In the livestream I know it was also said that the paladin class would share some of the textures for armors. Why can you not go back and simply change some of the weapons around so that we get actual swords instead. I know in the livestream you said we can transmute, and I say this with the utmost respect... that feels cheap. I shouldn't have to transmute something and pay hand over fist for something that should be a basic tenement to the class. As a role player and considering this is based on the greatest role playing game ever made, I'd love to see this simple aesthetic be brought into game. As an RP'er myself and long term gamer I find it a detractor to the "role play" factor of the paladin. The more you can do to make it feel like an actual paladin, the more enjoyable it will be.

While grouped with a guildmate earlier I was having moments where Sanctuary was not working at all. I was thinking that it might simply just be lag. However, when I did get it to work, on multiple occasions while grouped he was hurt and I got sanctuary to work and he was not getting any healing at all. Also I tested sanctuary with someone in Blacklake District who was at about 50 percent health and I tried healing them. It was clearly working, but again, only for me.

I've gotta go with this, transmutation alone might not be enough. We should have diversity in our choices.
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    equ4lizer wrote: »
    I've gotta go with this, transmutation alone might not be enough. We should have diversity in our choices.

Same here i would realy love to use my bear spear this paladin lol cuase i love its animation so far
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The encounter is imbalanced between both Paragon Paths. Protection gives me up to 30k Temp HP, Devotion only 1.2k. Even if you consider that every ally gets the benefit of the Temp HPs, the Protection version is way stronger.

As always, the tooltips are less than stallar. Example: Smite and Divine Touch both read for Devotion 'Allies near the target are healed as well', but Smite is actually a minor HoT every 3 secs for everyone standing near the target while the healing of Divine Touch is instant.

Bug: Oath Strike
    When Oath Strike Devotion buff is active, the power names are shown on the screen instead of the green healing numbers. Crit symbol shows next to the power names in case of a crit-heal.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bug:Radiant Strike
    This At will says its a 30m range but feels like its only a 15m rang skill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    voltomey wrote: »
    Bug:Radiant Strike
    This At will says its a 30m range but feels like its only a 15m rang skill

30m diameter from you as center giving it 15m radius in all directions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    agcdphagcdph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just started the Paladin (6th level) but thought I would share some comments and questions:
    Question 1) No ability score has a Damage Bonus tied to it like all the others but the damage seems fine, will all class trend this way and will damage bonus go away as an ability score bonus?

Question 2) The Half-Elf Dilettante ability - No bonus was applied to 1 ability score as in all other classes, is this not in yet or will there not be a bonus +1?

Question 3) Will the Dragonborn race be unlocked in the test shard for account that have purchased it? I could not choose it in the test but have bought the race.

Comment 1) Really like the Protector's Enclave main courtyard. The tree is awesome!!!

Comment 2) Like the new intro screens for Valindra at the bridge and the Guardian or the Nine in Theft of the Crown. Intro changes help freshen the game.

Comment 3) It would be helpful when play testing new classes if the Primary and secondary ability score for the class are posted ahead so we no how to pair races and which ability we wish to add bonuses to without back and for to see during character creation. Just saying.

Over all I am happy with it. I know it is early and things change but it seems to be on the right track.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The healing ability of the Pally is off the chart, or let me say OP as hell. We were fighting the Giant Crab in the new area and I played around with ACT a little and all I can say is **** :cool: !

Aura of Divinity: Procs for 6k+ every three seconds. That's way too much for an auto-proc AoE heal in times where Regeneration doesn't work in-combat and LS is nerfed to the ground.
    Healing Oath: 4k AoE At-Will
    Divine Touch: 15k AoE Encounter
    Sanctuary: 16k/s AoE (seems bugged though), I was able to heal from zero to hero with less than 50% of my Stamina (without any Stamina boosting equip/boons). Even with applied Healing Depression a Pally should be able to fully heal with Sanctuary alone. One Pally on 2 is game.
    Divine Call: 10k AoE
    Cleansing Touch: 12k AoE

A GF might be able to hit 100k HP at 70 so these heals, percentage-wise, might not be as potent any longer but it's been tested with ilvl 47 so the Pally surely also has room to grow.

Bug: Heals
    Heals can still be deflected... this is a long-standing bug guys, c'mon....

Allies doesn't seem to be affected by the power. I haven't tested this within a party though.
  • Options
    s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited February 2015

First, I should say the Paladin felt very much like the GF which unfortunately is my least favorite class. The reason I found them so similar is because they are soooo slow. Neither do stellar damage, neither have a way to move faster, and neither have an interesting utility. I had maybe incorrectly hoped the Paladin would be a little more exciting to play.

1st. The mace: I was happy to see it hits multiple targets; at less range than a GWF but still I was happy it wasnt single target.
    2nd. The at-wills: seeing something "proc" during the journey from level 1 to level 2 I was really surprised. The bonus is pretty small (I guess it probably goes up with ranks) but it was nice to see. The shield bash was a little underwhelming but again I'm sure it gets better with ranks.
    3rd. Blinding encounter: seemed to stutter visually. could just be the preview server as it was a little lagged all night. The effect was pretty powerful however, most mobs died within 3 seconds.
    4th Smite: I expected (from the tooltip) that it would be more like the previous encounter but several times the target (I was trying to target the heavier hitters) would barely be scratched. The log did show it was applying damage but it didnt feel like it.

Overall after spending an hour or a little more - I was tired, not enthralled with what I had seen and wished I could skip the next 53 levels (or more).

Please understand, I really dislike when people constantly ask for more for their already OP classes, and so I feel like I dont want to say "it needs more" but .. for some reason I feel it needs more excitement.. more fun.. a large part of this I think is because it's so "support" themed - it feels very lonely without any kind of companion or ally in the early levels.
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Feedback on Levels 1-7

Shift Key: Not sure what this is called, but it seems crazy overpowered. So far I have had NO need at all to use even a single healing potion, & only bothered going to a respawn point to save me the few seconds it would take to recharge my stamina. The only time I had any trouble keeping up at all was in the midst of a boss fight with lots of ads.

Daily: Also seems overpowered. It didn't one-shot any bosses for me, but it has so far dropped their HP by something like 3/4 max, which made the rest of the fight ridiculously easy. So far it does seem to one-shot anything that ISN'T a boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lupusjlupusj Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Valorous Strike
    The visual effect on the yellow "swing" and the movement of the mace and sound do not appear to be lined up correctly. Looks like the yellow swing hits before the mace moves.
  • Options
    rhomulerhomule Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Divine Call
    Does not seem to grand AP as stated and its animation does not appear while out of combat
    Sanctuary
    As someone mentioned before it does not work when Shift key is pressed always, so sometimes you need to press it several times for the skill to work
    Divine Judgement
    Seems a bit overpowered even for a daily power
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Valorous Strike-bug
    The tooltip lists this at will with a 5 foot cylinder range. But it still only hits one target. Not sure if that is a mistake in its listing or in the appliance of the attack. As for a single target attack, a 5 foot cylinder range is a bit redundant as when not directly aimed the character moves to attack the nearest target, regardless of where they are around him if they are in melee range of the attack.

Smite - Feedback
    The attack animation doesnt seem fitting to the actual damage this attack makes. (literally being the GWF encounter animation). In addition the actual damage from this attack applies before the animation even finishes. And the animation itself its a bit too long to inflict the damage it does. Not to mention the attack itself doesnt represent very much what the attack is supposed to do. I assume this is a place holder animation in which I hope it is. As it is, this makes this encounter difficult to judge and react to.

Weapons-feedback
    I'd like alot more variety in weapons for paladin. As some feel hammers/maces fit paladins and many other, including myself feel swords fit them. And in actuality in dnd in most guides, they advise paladins to not use maces. Though I wont dismiss maces altogether, there really needs to be an alternative to thier more advisable weapon type.

Radiant Strike - feedback
    The animation of this attack sometimes spazzes out when used consecutively. Making its application kind of misleading, sometimes it shows hitting more than it actually does. In addition this at will doesnt really show good visual feedback for what it represents. Its attack is ranged outward from the player when it makes contact to an enemy, for all visual purposes, the only thing visually shown from this attack is that he's bashing one enemy with his shield, and theres no real sense of radiance from the strike at all.

Burning Light - feedback
    There is no listed damage for this encounter ( which may or maynot also be a problem for the devotion variant that also heals)

Sancturary - bug
    This power seems to sometimes not register, at times this skill will not work when shift is pressed, though it shows the character holding up thier shield, the blue aura doesnt appear and its clear you arent actually blocking as no stamina is being drained, but your character still holds up thier shield, giving the misleading interpretation you're blocking when you arent.

Sacred Weapon - feedback
    There is no listed damage value for this encounters effect.

Divine's Call - feedback
    theres no actual visual feedback whatsoever from using this ability. Which makes it very questionable mid combat if it actually being applied or not.

Divine Action - bug
    This heroic feat doesnt seem to be applying at all to Divine Call. No AP generates.

Sanctuary - bug#2
    Sanctuary doesnt heal allies within the zone, only yourself.

Bane - Feedback
    The mark representing the target should be changed to another effect. A standard mark makes it very difficult to tell which target you've marked when there are fighters in the party, essentially making your mark ineffective when you cant tell which is yours, and it being an encounter power makes it easy to waste it. I dont get the sense that the mark is a holy mark, since it uses the same standard mark from both fighter's abilities. I assume and hope this is just a placeholder however. Theres also no animation of this encounter being used through the character is stuck in place for a second when using this skill as if there should be one there.
  • Options
    rhomulerhomule Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Divine Call
    Does not seem to grand AP as stated and its animation does not appear while out of combat
    Sanctuary
    As someone mentioned before it does not work when Shift key is pressed always, so sometimes you need to press it several times for the skill to work

Divine Judgement
  • Options
    lupusjlupusj Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Foes affected by burning light still follow you. If they are disorientated, are they supposed to?
  • Options
    rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rhomule wrote: »
    Divine Call
    Sanctuary

Divine Judgement

The tooltip is wrong, it's supposed to heal within the 30' area which it does do correctly. But without any animation, it definitely took a while to see if it was even having any effect.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
This discussion has been closed.