What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Oathbound Paladin

Comments

• Options
    mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2015

So I copied over a bunch of saved Tomes of Exp to level my Pally up quick to test the endgame. So far, the paladin lives up to its name..OP. Without paragon feats, without attacking or healing, without using sanctuary, with no enchants and just the level 61 Knox gear, I couldn't die. I literally stood in the midst of 10 enemies on the Drowned shore and let them hit me...I never dropped below 75%. The paladin heals are insanely OP. Of course, this may be compensated by the fact that I do next to no damage.

While I enjoy the thought of a utility class, without a decent
    dps option, you're going to make leveling this thing a real headache. It will be worse than leveling a DC pre-rework. Sure, as a healing pally, you can never, ever die...but you can't kill anything either. If someone does manage to level this thing up without breaking down in a fit of rage at how long it takes, they'll be the go to in dungeons. Since I heal myself for less than I heal others and I couldn't die, I would hazard a guess that as long as someone is within 30 feet of me, they'll be completely immortal as well.

I really would hope that WHEN this gets toned down (for there's no way it couldn't; that
    self healing was what got DC's ultra-nerfed in the first place), it is not broken. If you do take away a good portion of these heals, give the paladins SOME damage. I know it's a utility class, but for basic quality of life I'd like to be able to kill a minion class enemy in under 30 seconds.

Also, the encounter power (who's name isn't coming to mind right now) that gives you a burst of healing when you use it (not smite, but further down in the tree) grants crazy self heals. We're talking one non-crit strike on my 2k power pally with no enchants: 52k heal. And it has an 8 second cooldown.

So thank you guys for making us completely immortal, it's great fun to laugh off mobs. However, I ask that when you take that immortality away, you give us some
    dps to compensate. It's just atrocious as is.
  • Options
    ansuz4221ansuz4221 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shynter wrote: »
    Something:Paladin
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, so it's purple. My first daily (the sword thing) one shot the big zombie dude in the tutorial, which, while awesome, might mean that it's too much damage (Or that I got a crazy crit, not sure). And will possibly be misleading to new paladins, as they aren't going to be damage dealers later in the game.
    bardaaron wrote: »

Daily: Also seems overpowered. It didn't one-shot any bosses for me, but it has so far dropped their HP by something like 3/4 max, which made the rest of the fight ridiculously easy. So far it does seem to one-shot anything that ISN'T a boss.

I was also very surprised by the damage of Divine Judgement. It didn't one-shot the first boss on the bridge but nearly (HP dropped down to 20 or 25%). And the Guardian of the Nine was a one-shot. If my memory is correct it was a 1.4k crit. So either those enemies have become very very weak or the daily should be adjusted. One-shotting (and even two-shotting) bosses is really boring.

Bug: Shift-Ability Sanctuary
    I can confirm that there's something wrong with this. Sometimes it won't work. In that case the Paladin goes into his defense postion raising his shield but there is no heal, no blue circle and no stamina is used. It often happens when I'm pressing shift while moving.
  • Options
    equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2015

So I copied over a bunch of saved Tomes of Exp to level my Pally up quick to test the endgame. So far, the paladin lives up to its name..OP. Without paragon feats, without attacking or healing, without using sanctuary, with no enchants and just the level 61 Knox gear, I couldn't die. I literally stood in the midst of 10 enemies on the Drowned shore and let them hit me...I never dropped below 75%. The paladin heals are insanely OP. Of course, this may be compensated by the fact that I do next to no damage.

While I enjoy the thought of a utility class, without a decent
    dps option, you're going to make leveling this thing a real headache. It will be worse than leveling a DC pre-rework. Sure, as a healing pally, you can never, ever die...but you can't kill anything either. If someone does manage to level this thing up without breaking down in a fit of rage at how long it takes, they'll be the go to in dungeons. Since I heal myself for less than I heal others and I couldn't die, I would hazard a guess that as long as someone is within 30 feet of me, they'll be completely immortal as well.

I really would hope that WHEN this gets toned down (for there's no way it couldn't; that
    self healing was what got DC's ultra-nerfed in the first place), it is not broken. If you do take away a good portion of these heals, give the paladins SOME damage. I know it's a utility class, but for basic quality of life I'd like to be able to kill a minion class enemy in under 30 seconds.

Also, the encounter power (who's name isn't coming to mind right now) that gives you a burst of healing when you use it (not smite, but further down in the tree) grants crazy self heals. We're talking one non-crit strike on my 2k power pally with no enchants: 52k heal. And it has an 8 second cooldown.

So thank you guys for making us completely immortal, it's great fun to laugh off mobs. However, I ask that when you take that immortality away, you give us some
    dps to compensate. It's just atrocious as is.

This really sums up everything, diversity like I mentioned earlier. We'll prefer some dps over too much healing.
    :cool:
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • Options
    nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Sanctuary
    Reiterating what others have said. I have not tested in a party yet, but so far at level 10 Sanctuary gives the stance as if it is working however I have to release and repress shift many times to get the sanctuary circle and actually begin healing myself while out of combat. So far while in combat damage does appear to be mitigated, healing does occur and I am immune to CC effects.

Bug: Smite
    Smite does not appear to always fire off correctly, when pressing smite on a higher hp mob sometimes the animation and color change does not occur and there is no noticeable DoT on the main target nor those around it, I have not bothered to parse dps at only level 10 so it is possible that this is a graphical bug rather than a skill bug.

Divine Judgement seems to be a bit over powered at level 10, I'm assuming that the DPS of this skill scales with level which means that it will continue to be over powered. If it does not scale then I feel that it should be a level 30+ daily skill not one granted right off the bat as I was able to take out the ogre in Tower District at level 8 with one hit using this skill.

It would be nice to have access to low level instances so that skills while partying could be tested out as we level through.

I will continue to test this class as I am very interested in playing it and would love to see this great class be introduced on the live server with the proper balance and relatively few bugs.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    emilemo wrote: »
    So many mixed messages! One says the Paladin has no damage, another says that some ability has too much damage. Cant wait to test this thing tonight.

Devotion path paladin has no dmg but good luck trying to kill this bunker

Protection Path gets 10% of its max HP as power and 500% more threat Gen also Constitution also adds to DR as well as HP

The paladins only dmg daily is basically a re-hashed Ice knife at lvl 26 with about 1300 power i could crit for over 11k healer paladins need this also and so i dont think nerfing the dmg to it is a good idea its basically the only thing a devotion paladin has that can hit hard.

Both Wisdom and Car give crit to the paladin car need the heroic trait for it to do so. this is not even the tip of the ice burge as the class still dose not have its paragon feats as soon as we get them i will have a guide breaking down the class basics up and posted here like i did with HR and SW.

All you really need to know thats the class starts out slower then the GF dose then at lvl 30 up it then becomes faster than the GF at lvling up.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Remember folks - whether you're a healer or a tank, it behooves you to bring a striker companion along for the ride. they really got buffed.

It's very difficult to tell when this ability is triggering and when not. i think it may need a bit of a facelift to help show when it's active and what damage it does.
  • Options
    ameonneameonne Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BUG (At-will) Valorous Strike:
    Ranking up doesn`t increase dmg.

BUG (At-will) Oath strike:
    Ranking up doesn`t increase dmg.
  • Options
    ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BUG: Half-Elf Oathbound Paladin
    Half-Elf OPs don't recieve the 'Dilettante' racial bonus that should grant +1 to a non-class Ability Score.
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Mmm. that was my point, yeah. Let's submit that formally.

Bug: Auras
    At the very least, Aura of Courage and Aura of Vengeance stack. Unsure on the others, but it's something to look into, before a team decides to get it in their head to reduce their recharge times by 100%
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I feel as though the At Will where you dash to the target is extremely rediculous so far. ran a Black Lake terror skirmish at lvl 5 and ended up with 30k damage on paaingiver using only that at will, and the daily on the boss plus that weird little charge up attack thing??

This at will should not be spammable like it currently is, maybe a 5 seconds cool down would be worth while. otherwise Its disgusting watching a group of all Pallys just using at wills to take everything out in seconds.

Speaking of which - that charge up attack, it appears to do good damage? when you hold it down long enough,

Animation for the attack doesn't appear to be very reliable, also the Damage it procs to surrounding enemies does not appear to be very useful as of yet, not nearly as useful as just bashing into everything with the new At Will

as an SW, I think that this class is allowed to regain stamina far too quickly, Stamina starts to rebuild IMMEDIATELY after you release Block/Shift where other classes have a 2 second or so period where there is no Stamina Regen after using Stamina.

as of this moment, life for a paladin is way to easy lol
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Divine Call charges indicator is way too big and could use higher transparency, especially since we can't move it.
    animalust wrote: »
    as an SW, I think that this class is allowed to regain stamina far too quickly, Stamina starts to rebuild IMMEDIATELY after you release Block/Shift where other classes have a 2 second or so period where there is no Stamina Regen after using Stamina.
    Pretty sure the only classes that have a delay are SW and GWF. At the least CW and TR have no delay.
  • Options
    ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First to those posting that the Paladin isn't available to you, the first time I logged onto the preview server, I had the same issue. I relogged and the Paladin was available!

you mentioned in the devblog the feel/impression you wanted to give from the get go, sorry to say the feel I got was distinctly underwhelming. On the run to protectors enclave, it felt like I was running a basic militia footman, a grunt rather than a hero. Both the GF and GWF 'felt' more impressive. He was upto the task, nothing made him struggle right upto the bridge boss. Maybe I'd have had a better fight had I not used the daily, but after the first couple of blows (And after what was said specifically about the daily and that fight I did) I fired off the daily and basically one shotted him.... but it didn't feel impressive, rather it felt anti-climactic.

The first positive reaction I had came in PE's first lair when a few nashers gathered around the pally, I charged up and fired off the AOE encounter skill. I was impressed with how that worked, it felt right. Without having to take the time to charge it I would think it likely to get overpowered quite quickly, but as it is, it feels balanced and feels 'right' for the character

I have to add my voice to the others about this..... I first played tabletop D&D around '78 or '79.... the mace was the clerics weapon.... when I first came across paladins, they where sword & board, the iconic weapon from My perspective is the longsword holy avenger. The mace certainly isn't helping me get into the headspace of playing a paladin
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Please don't judge OP dps on level 10. Remember that there is no dps-granting stat, so pallies will lose damage compared to other classes as they level.

It feels like some animations don't fit the power, I'm not sure if they're placeholders or not. Radiant Blow's animation looks like you hit one enemy with your shield, but it is a 360 deg attack, while Valorous Strike looks like a cleave, but I'm only able to hit one target (it says 5' cylinder, but I'm not sure I've ever hit even two mobs).
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Please don't judge OP dps on level 10. Remember that there is no dps-granting stat, so pallies will lose damage compared to other classes as they level.

It feels like some animations don't fit the power, I'm not sure if they're placeholders or not. Radiant Blow's animation looks like you hit one enemy with your shield, but it is a 360 deg attack, while Valorous Strike looks like a cleave, but I'm only able to hit one target (it says 5' cylinder, but I'm not sure I've ever hit even two mobs).

Paladin's dps stat is his max hp. Read the descriptions of Aura of Courage and Oath of Protection, please.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG Divine call -Oath of Devotion
    Healing from Divine call doesn`t proc 5% stat bonus and subsequent cast of this power doesn`t heal for 50% more (tested while in fight and without).
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG Smite - Oath of devotion
    Power doesn`t heal allies/yourself.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Steadfast feat
    First, is this supposed to increase your max HP based on each point of CON, or just the points above 10? The tooltip needs clarification (also goes for the other two feats in last tier).
    Second, regardless of the above, the effect is not reflected in the CON tooltip on the character sheet.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG Shield holding
    Shields for lvl 33 +/- have wrong orientation.

Screen:
    iIRO1V3.png
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Question: early power animations
    Are animations final or placeholder?

I ask as someone that has a character of each class a lot of the early powers feel like replications at least in terms of their animations and sound effects. The first two at-wills remind me of crushing surge and threatening rush, the first three encounters, sun burst, iron warrior and anvil of doom.

This is making the class feel less diverse than any of the others but I'm only level 9 or so. That may change as I gain further levels and powers. Not a big deal just an early observation.
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Question: early power animations
    Are animations final or placeholder?

I ask as someone that has a character of each class a lot of the early powers feel like replications at least in terms of their animations and sound effects. The first two at-wills remind me of crushing surge and threatening rush, the first three encounters, sun burst, iron warrior and anvil of doom.

This is making the class feel less diverse than any of the others but I'm only level 9 or so. That may change as I gain further levels and powers. Not a big deal just an early observation.

Think of this stage as an Alpha Testing, more than likely alot of items will be changed
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Overall feedback : I can say only 1 thing congratulation NW Cryptic Team this is the first class i played and felt D&D in him.
    True paladin true tank 5000% better then the original GF even if he dont have any DPS and GF have some , i like it super good job . I dont know how planned to release paladin in mod 6 ,but i want to say to him and those how desinged it you are all awesome.

This class only need minor adjusments and some bug fixes.
    Feedback mace and shild : I voit for no mace . (ps: i voite for ******* sword its bigger then normal longsword)
    And those tower shilds & are super ugly + i dont see any holy symbol on them .

Feedback Lvl 1-30 :
    I see great potency in the new OP .
    But her dps is super low , i hope they will do at least haf dps of CW and other dps classes .
    How wanted DPS paladin will not be happy with it .
    So i eagerly await the DPS feat path.
    About her skill animation time they are all super slow all of them.

Daly : Divine Judgement i think this daly doesn't deal soo much dmg cuz it have zero cc or healing or any buff so for soo slow very smal aoe i think its fine .
    Daly : Lay on hand i think this skill shoud share the heal with paladin cuz its super hard to target your self .

At wills : they are super slow all of them.

Shift bug: somtimes its bugged you hold your shild and nothing happens also they dont heal your team mates.

Aura bug:Identical auras stack i think this is a bug.

Races:
    Bug Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn: dont give him any hp and healing bonus .
    Bug Half-elf +1 stat bonus is not granted to OP.

PS:Can we have some class reroll token on GF? I worked on him soo hard from beta --> today.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First impressions:

Radiant Srtike - double shield slam animation needs fixin
    Sacred weapon doesnt work with Smite
    AoE cc from the catapults on the bridge knocked me over thru Sanctuary
    Smite animation, damage application and sound effect need to be synced

Id love to be able to use GF armor for transmutation, esp the Profound gear ( best armor look in the game )
    The mace looks small on a Dwarf, it'll look like a toothpick in my Dragonborn's hand. Please adjust size and grip spot
    We need some indication Divine Call is being spend like a sound or visual effect - currently it feels like nothing is happening

I like the improved intro and starting quests

PS: The Shield is generally ugly and not needed here since the blocking is not physical but rather magical/divine in nature. Consider a reskin here to some Paladin like implement
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    banegrivmbanegrivm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Suggestion: Paladin Weapons

According to the livestream we were told that the paladin would share textures with the guardian fighter yet we would not share items and that they would be our own items for either a paladin OR the guardian fighter. In game today I found two pieces of armor that said that they were useable by either the paladin or the guardian fighter. I'd like to suggest this done for the weapons. I love the paladin but hate hate hate hate hate the mace with an unending passion. I shouldn't have to look at an eyesore for 70 levels. Transmuting doesn't really solve the issue, not to mention I'm personally not a fan for how transmuting works. It feels cumbersome and expensive. I think that allowing the paladin to use the guardian fighter weapons will solve alot of issues for people who dislike using maces. On the other side of the spectrum you could also share the mace with the guardian fighter to give them even further variety as well. In D&D lots of classes share items. It's not uncommon to see rangers, paladins, and fighters all using swords, maces, axes, hammers, and a plethora of other weapons. Also the paladin would feel alot more like a white knight in shining armor if he had an actual knightly sword instead of being forced to use a weapon not so knightly. Out of all of the paladins that I have played in various MMO's, this one is swiftly turning into one of my favorites out of any other MMO that I have ever played.

Love this power but it feels like the power only can be used sparingly because the cooldown feels like it is too long. Maybe shaving a few seconds off of it from 19 down to maybe 14 might make it feel more useful.

Suggestion: Paladin Warhorse

Would love to see this implemented someway. Make it a hard quest, part of a "paladin booster pack", or even store bound. Although personally I think this would be better if it were obtainable in game through a paladins actions. In old school D&D one of my fondest memories of playing my table top paladin was gathering my friends to help me on my quest to recover a bridle that activated a golem like steed from a haunted manor, while the steed remained inert and inactive in the courtyard.

I must have stopped and started this game many times since release because it didn't really have a character class that I wanted to play. While I enjoyed the warlock, the paladin sets me over the edge and hooks me completely. I've played lots of paladins on and offline in games and they are almost always my go to class. Having played every class I do not feel that the paladin is overpowered as some have suggested. In comparison to say the guardian fighter I feel like they are pretty much on par given both of their abilities thus far. Overall from my current experiences with the paladin it feels well balanced and that much thought has gone into it. I am really hooked on this character class and hope that this continues as I'm excited about playing it on live as well. The only thing that would completely set this over the edge for me would of course be to have an actual sword instead of a mace as a weapon.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
    Sovereign Lord of the 1st Fist of Light
    Global Handle: @Marshal_Valor
  • Options
    ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BUG: Aura of Courage
    Aura of Courage can deal damage to the Paladin and other players. While Testing in PE at the target dummies, a lvl 60 HR attacked the dumies while my lvl 66 OP stood idle nearby. The HR as well as me took damage from the Aura of Courage and it killed me eventually. Here is the relevant part of the log:

[Combat (Other)] Critical Hit! Minerva 47 deals 7528 Physical Damage to Target Dummy with Thorned Roots.

[Combat (Self)] Your Aura of Vengeance deals 245 Radiant Damage to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Other)] an unknown entity deals 257 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 deals 132 (280) Radiant Damage to Minerva 47 with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 deals 132 (280) Radiant Damage to Minerva 47 with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 deals 66 (280) Radiant Damage to Minerva 47 with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 deals 66 (280) Radiant Damage to Minerva 47 with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 gives 907 (794) Hit Points to Minerva 47 with Grandmaster's Rejuvenating Swiftness.

[Combat (Other)] Critical Hit! an unknown entity deals 241 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Other)] Critical Hit! an unknown entity deals 212 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Self)] Minerva 47 deals 137 (280) Radiant Damage to you with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Self)] Minerva 47 deals 137 (280) Radiant Damage to you with Aura of Courage.

[Combat (Other)] an unknown entity deals 257 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Other)] Critical Hit! an unknown entity deals 241 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Other)] Critical Hit! an unknown entity deals 212 Poison Damage to Target Dummy with Poison.

[Combat (Self)] Stamina required.

[Combat (Other)] Minerva 47 receives 640 Hit Points from Town.

[Error] You have fallen in battle!

I don't know wether this is connected to 'Thorned Roots' or an attack 'Minerva 47' used earlier.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback Heroic Feat:

The last tier of heroic feats are too good. They will make it where any pally that doesn't choose human is a gimp/flavor choice. Having only one race be a viable choice as a class is something that should be avoided. While humans have always been a powerful choice other races have been equally viable due to humans only getting one stat bump.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Feedback Heroic Feat:

The last tier of heroic feats are too good. They will make it where any pally that doesn't choose human is a gimp/flavor choice. Having only one race be a viable choice as a class is something that should be avoided. While humans have always been a powerful choice other races have been equally viable due to humans only getting one stat bump.

Feedback : I agree with this some of those feats must be moved to earlier feats cuz if you dont move it no one will chose dragon born ^^ .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BUG: Paladin
    Shield is visible when you wear fashion outfit
    Actually it shows only if you run nacked, but still bug
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Feedback Heroic Feat:

I myself welcome this change. There are enough halflings in game already.
  • Options
    lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The sanctuary(shield) ability for the pally is very sluggish, similar to haw the GF shield was before you fixed it.
    Sanctuary has to be much more responsive.
  • Options
    banegrivmbanegrivm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Suggestion: Winged Helmets

I know that the guardian fighters and the paladins share gear so please please please let the paladin have the winged helmets. As soon as I saw them in game for the first time I thought of a paladin. That is just so iconic paladin! I am always reminded of the picture from the old 1st edition Unearthed Arcana book for D&D that has a picture of a paladin with a winged helmet under the paladin class info.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
    Sovereign Lord of the 1st Fist of Light
    Global Handle: @Marshal_Valor
This discussion has been closed.