What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Black Ice Shaping Profession

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Adding a picture to prove my point.

911565Sanstitre.png

So, yes, cryptic is going to sell premium access to icewind dale. Use the cash shop or have your rewards for playing the content locked! Now, that just killed all my interest in module 3 instantly. Having myself 10M ADs and a steady RL income means I can clearly have this premium access if I want to but most of my friends are purely F2P and I don't know who I am going to play with since their black ice will be locked and they won't need to play the content except for dailies and some mining. They won't even need to pvp, so that means I'm going to be on my own with two support classes as main characters. Well, f*** module 3 if I have to make cash shop using friends to play the game now.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Adding a picture to prove my point.

So, yes, cryptic is going to sell premium access to icewind dale. Use the cash shop or have your rewards for playing the content locked! Now, that just killed all my interest in module 3 instantly. Having myself 10M ADs and a steady RL income means I can clearly have this premium access if I want to but most of my friends are purely F2P and I don't know who I am going to play with since their black ice will be locked and they won't need to play the content except for dailies and some mining. They won't even need to pvp, so that means I'm going to be on my own with two support classes as main characters. Well, f*** module 3 if I have to make cash shop using friends to play the game now.

Yeah I'm just coming from Preview, did a full round of dailies, finally took a look at this profession. One gauntlet? All Black Ice raw? Everything gated behind Zen items?

OK so maybe a few people have hoarded tens of millions of AD. Is this meaning you have to make the expansion a huge sink so the rich get their stuff, and poor go on at snail pace?

Please add a **** subscription for the game already and put EVERYBODY on the same page, same progress, gated by time investment and skill in the game.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can one of the development team please explain the thinking behind only giving one gauntlet to non spenders please , we know you read these threads so some input would be appreciated.

graalx3 wrote: »
    In any case, there is nothing that you can do with high quality tools/craftsmen that can't be done with just what comes with the campaign, you can just do it quicker.

This is just plain incorrect , if a non spender has only one gauntlet and a spender has 9 then the spender can run 9 processing tasks while the non spender can only run one putting the non spender at a massive disadvantage.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they wish to limit the task to only being able to do one at a time, perhaps they should find another way of limiting that doesn't allow people who buy items from the cash shop to get around it.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kreatyve wrote: »
    You can't enter the forge.

I think the fact that the forge is all sparkly confuses people. Everyone thinks that you can or should be able to enter it, and then get confused when they cant. Not to mention that there's an invisible wall there blocking the sparkles, causing you to not be able to interact with them in the right position.

Yeah then this should be looked at. Thanks for clarifying.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    btw we cant buy crafting gauntlets from ah? if we can i do not see big problem in them
    edited March 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    btw we cant buy crafting gauntlets from ah? if we can i do not see big problem in them

Yes we can ,point is we shouldn't have to ,if we allow them to monetize something as vital as a profession asset , and the gauntlets are very vital for keeping black ice gear enhanced and a steady flow of processed black ice coming in it is the first step down a road that nobody wants Neverwinter to go down , believe me.

Personally I don't care for myself , I have more than enough AD to purchase gauntlets from the AH but once a games core mechanics become interlinked with the cash shop in such a way the game will get a very bad reputation on gaming websites and in the general mmo community and less players will be interested in joining , less players = smaller population then you enter a vicious circle of less players so more spenders leave , more spenders leave devs have less money to work with etc etc etc , seen it happen before and Neverwinter is treading a razor with mod 3 and companions , health stones and rez scrolls in open world pvp already , this will just put more potential players off.
    edited March 2014

I'm worried because most of my in-game friends are F2Ps, and they certainly don't sit on millions ADs like myself. So their interest into IWD will probably be very low, some may even quit playing because rewards are locked behind a paywall, and those who stay will only do dailies to refine their 1500 black ice, and that's all. Who am I going to team up with? Who am I going to pvp with? Considering I mainly play a DC and A CW, alone is a no-go. Don't want to be forced to change my whole friendlist because someone in marketing dept decided it was time to monetize content a lot more aggressively, mind you.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Can you just introduce a new lockbox then make the rest free from cash-shop gating?
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yes we can ,point is we shouldn't have to ,if we allow them to monetize something as vital as a profession asset , and the gauntlets are very vital for keeping black ice gear enhanced and a steady flow of processed black ice coming in it is the first step down a road that nobody wants Neverwinter to go down , believe me.

Personally I don't care for myself , I have more than enough AD to purchase gauntlets from the AH but once a games core mechanics become interlinked with the cash shop in such a way the game will get a very bad reputation on gaming websites and in the general mmo community and less players will be interested in joining , less players = smaller population then you enter a vicious circle of less players so more spenders leave , more spenders leave devs have less money to work with etc etc etc , seen it happen before and Neverwinter is treading a razor with mod 3 and companions , health stones and rez scrolls in open world pvp already , this will just put more potential players off.

i just noticed we cant even make basic quality gauntles ?they should at least alow us to buy basic one from crafting npc
    edited March 2014
    i just noticed we cant even make basic quality gauntles ?they should at least alow us to buy basic one from crafting npc

Yeah lol , that's why we are complaining .
    edited March 2014
    I'm actually not bothered by the new purple Ioun Stone being cash-shop gated.

I could just buy that one in the AH and be done with it.

Black ice is a constant fuel that people who want to PVP at above average levels will be forced to buy to stay competitive
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The reason is already stated to why you cannot buy the gloves. It is to limit the amount of refined black ice any individual can introduce into the game at any time. I also think and have suggested Rushing the task with AD should be removed to preserve their intent.
  • stev2510stev2510 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The interact is to the left side just behind the dwarf :)
    edited March 2014
    Can't buy black ice as it is a form of character bound currency.
    edited March 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    The reason is already stated to why you cannot buy the gloves. It is to limit the amount of refined black ice any individual can introduce into the game at any time.

Non spenders cannot buy the gauntlets , cash shoppers can get them from profession packs ..... that's the entire point of the last 2 pages , at least read the last couple of pages before posting .
    edited March 2014
    The reason is already stated to why you cannot buy the gloves. It is to limit the amount of refined black ice any individual can introduce into the game at any time. I also think and have suggested Rushing the task with AD should be removed to preserve their intent.

Except you CAN buy the gloves if you use the cash shop
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014

But if profession packs and lockboxes have iron/steel/mithral gauntlets (and the relevant tool upgrade tasks indicate that they will) then the only people who are actually limited in their refining are those without the resources to acquire the more expensive tools.

If the limitation were placed to only run one refine task at a time for everyone, then there would be no complaints because everyone would actually be on the same level.

Putting a limitation on black ice refining in place by making it impossible to acquire multiple common gauntlets, but then completely undermining it by adding uncommon+ gauntlets makes it look like they're not actually trying to limit black ice refining at all.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited March 2014
    What they said was that you can do everything without spending real money with the guantlets you get. I am fine with that. That does not make it pay to win, so don't even want to hear that.

They have a right to make money on the game, it is a business after all. Yes some people will pay for the packs, and some will not. I hate to say it, if you can't afford a few dollars a month to support the continuing development of a game that brings you entertainment there are bigger issues in ones life that might be addressed before complaining about a free to play game.

They never said it was impossible. Now do we even know if we can do more then one black ice shaping task at a time anyhow. Everyone is threorycrafting.
    edited March 2014
    Except you CAN buy the gloves if you use the cash shop

Yes and we do not know the rarity...which I am assuming at the moment the gloves will be very very very rare in any form based on what information the developers have given us.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't have a problem with spending money. I specifically don't have a problem with spending money on what people call fluff.

What I am questioning (and people are asking questions to clarify if it's intended that cash shop purchases are an intended way to get around refining limits) is the increasing appearance that the cash shop is going to allow some players to purchase increased power and/or playtime.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited March 2014
    the cash shop has always allowed you to speed up professions...so nothing new there. We quite simply do not know yet if we are limited to just one black ice task at a time or not yet. So at this point, it is a non issue until we know more on how it is all gonna work.

The difference here is the gear is better and wanted.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »

Vicious circle indeed. This is what pretty much destroyed Allods Online at one point.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited March 2014
    the cash shop has always allowed you to speed up professions...so nothing new there. We quite simply do not know yet if we are limited to just one black ice task at a time or not yet. So at this point, it is a non issue until we know more on how it is all gonna work.

The difference here is the gear is better and wanted.

Yes it allowed people who bought assets and craftsmen to speed up and have better quality rewards, but:

- it's the first time the devs are trying to lock rewards behind a paywall. Want empowered black ice gear? Then buy gauntlets.
    - it's the first time the profession asset packs would give such a significant boost. It used to be better quality rewards for crafting non consumable and tradable endgame items like shirts, and it used to give a 50% speed bonus. The cash shop giving such an edge (more refining tasks can be done at a faster rate with probably a better output for the same black ice inputs) is a significant step in a direction I'm not really liking.
    - it's definitely not a quality of life improvement. If it has to be the BiS gear, having it locked in a subtle way behind a paywall is clearly another step (and not a small one) into the pay for power model. Since we need black ice to empower this gear, black ice has to flow to give us the real BiS version of the sets.

Now, I'm not concerned about my ability to buy gauntlets via zen or ADs, like I said earlier, I'm concerned because most of my in-game friends are F2P players, and if they can't do anything with their rewards (all the black ice that can't be refined) it won't suddenly transform them into cash shop users. This is a big change to the current F2P model since current rewards for playing the game can be claimed by anyone without any kind of restrictions but the AD daily refinement limits. It's like saying "please buy our dungeon keys in the zen store to be able to claim your rewards chest", and it could be a deal breaker for many players who would just see no interest in playing module 3 except for the 1500 daily black ice limit with the free gauntlet. So, yeah, even if I buy the aforementioned gauntlets, who am I going to play with if my in game friends don't?
    edited March 2014
    You can still fully empower black ice gear with just the gloves you get...it has already been stated, that you can do everything with the gloves you get without spending money. Yes it will take more time...but you have to choose what your time is worth.
  • cenobite451cenobite451 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 87
    edited March 2014
    You need a continual stream of black ice to keep your gear in top condition, right?

So if F2Pers' top gear only has a fraction of the "uptime" as paying customers... yeah, that'd be kind of a huge problem. Like, drive-people-away-from-the-game huge. There's spaying for convenience, and then there's... that other thing we're not supposed to talk about. If paying customers get to use the BiS gear potentially orders of magnitude more than their F2P counterparts... that would be a pretty good example of the latter.

And even if people like Dio and myself kept playing (and even paying) for a while, we'd eventually end up deserting for greener pastures too. Ghost towns just aren't all that much fun.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You need a continual stream of black ice to keep your gear in top condition, right?
    Well, if that's true, I won't be interested in them. Gameplay should be enjoyable, not stressful.
    edited March 2014

So if F2Pers' top gear only has a fraction of the "uptime" as paying customers... yeah, that'd be kind of a huge problem. Like, drive-people-away-from-the-game huge. There's spaying for convenience, and then there's... that other thing we're not supposed to talk about. If paying customers get to use the BiS gear potentially orders of magnitude more than their F2P counterparts... that would be a pretty good example of the latter.

And even if people like Dio and myself kept playing (and even paying) for a while, we'd eventually end up deserting for greener pastures too. Ghost towns just aren't all that much fun.

Pretty much this , I'm so dissapointed in the development team for taking this route , well I'm assuming this is the choice they have made since nobody seems to want to confirm it on their side , if this is what they intend on doing then I know I have some difficult choices to make and I am 100% certain I won't be the only one.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I believe that once you finally have your new black ice gear, that you will be able to farm what little black ice you will need once a week and process it while you sleep. You guys take this gloom and doom attitude way to far...hell you are just speculating on most of what you are talking about. What good is having the ability to refine it faster after you already have your gear? Any smart person will do what they need to do while snoozing in bed dreaming of all things neverwinter.
  • shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    radtatat wrote: »
    I am currently mass processing raw black ice, and both the mass produce and single tasks are still available to me. O.o

Anyone know how to get more gauntlets? Is the only via Zen market?

I'm not able to shape any more raw black ice after the first round either, unlike you, but I do have a question about the gauntlets. The Zen market doesn't even seem available for things like profession packs on the preview server. I also find it a bit frustrating that the only way to get them is a random chance from a purchased professions pack. Maybe I'm not understanding it right...I hope that's the case.
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah