Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    Sounds like something a developer might say.
    An AT-WILL by it's name means you can use it AT-WILL!!!
    There's no knowing when and when not to about using an AT-WILL, you use it AT-WILL!!!
    Knowing when and when not to use a skill is what DAILIES and ENCOUNTERS are for.

It is still an At-Will. You can still use it at-will, but like any other class you cannot expect to sit there and perma cast the ability. For the damage it does, a 2.5second cast is absolutely nothing. There is no cool down to the ability so you can use it whenever you like. The difference being SHOULD you use it...

I disagree, knowing when and where to use a skill is completely integral to all parts of the game. Both PvP and PvE. Pvp wise: Rogues in ITC, target standing in shield, GWF in Unstoppable ect. It's pointless to waste you burst against targets in these situations. For PvE: Differening Boss mechanics, offhand one I can think of is when Malabog goes immune.

If you cannot understand how having the damage output this ability offers, would be broken with the slight mechanic change then I good sir, am wasting my time talking to you.

It is a 93ft ranged nuke with no cool down that crits for ridiculously high numbers. There has to be at least one setback to it. There is enough synergy in the class that anyone with a brain will be able to understand and perform extremely well with.

In short. The ability is fine as is.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Daily Description: Forest Meditation
    Easy one. You misspelled "regenerating."

Is there a particular gameplay reason on why this can't be used while moving? Maybe not in a jump or during a shift, but it should be capable of being used while walking at the very least.

The simplest way to explain my feelings of melee so far, is it's underwhelming. Damage seems to be very low, and with this kind of impact, something to be avoided. I'll have to see what the debuff/buffs are that are mentioned, but so far, I don't care much for it.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    It is still an At-Will. You can still use it at-will, but like any other class you cannot expect to sit there and perma cast the ability. For the damage it does, a 2.5second cast is absolutely nothing. There is no cool down to the ability so you can use it whenever you like. The difference being SHOULD you use it...

I can permacast the TR's "Sly Flourish," the CW's "Magic Missles," and even the HR's "RAPID Shot" At-Will's.
    And, a 2.5 second cast IS ALOT when it keeps getting interrupted, you're doing NO DAMAGE, and you're TAKING DAMAGE.
    As is, it works like the TR's "Lashing Blade" Encounter, but "Lashing Blade" doesn't have a 2.5 second casting time.
    I disagree, knowing when and where to use a skill is completely integral to all parts of the game. Both PvP and PvE. Pvp wise: Rogues in ITC, target standing in shield, GWF in Unstoppable ect. It's pointless to waste you burst against targets in these situations. For PvE: Differening Boss mechanics, offhand one I can think of is when Malabog goes immune.

That's why bursts are usually DAILY's or ENCOUNTERS, not AT-WILLS, having an AT-WILL as your only, or primary burst power is not a great idea. Now, I'm not saying AIMED SHOT is a bad skill, far from it. What I'm, and others, are saying is that as is, it should be a Daily, or an Encounter, or if they insist on it's being an At-Will, the casting time needs to be removed so it can be used as an At-will. They could add a longer cool down if they want to keep folks from using it to much, but then again, that would be better suited to an Encounter than to an At-Will.
    If you cannot understand how having the damage output this ability offers, would be broken with the slight mechanic change then I good sir, am wasting my time talking to you.

How would removing the long casting time break it? How would changing it to a Daily or an Encounter break it? As a first shot, I agree, it's great, but as an At-Will, it fails.
    It is a 93ft ranged nuke with no cool down that crits for ridiculously high numbers. There has to be at least one setback to it. There is enough synergy in the class that anyone with a brain will be able to understand and perform extremely well with.

In short. The ability is fine as is.

You keep referencing PvP, most of the complaints are more than likely PvE complaints. I don't play, so I don't know, PvP, but in PvE, we can't wait for a boss' ITC, or Shield, or Unstoppable to run out. We can't get out of the way of the ads swarming us. We can't get out of the way of the boss who HAS to be in your face 24/7. We need AT-Wills we can spam as fast as possible to survive. We don't have time to wait 2.5 second for an At-Will to charge, because it's going to get interrupted by the dozens of hits you're taking from the ads, the boss' and everyone else who jumps out to mob you. In PvP you've got what 5v5? 10v10? 20v20? In PvE we've got 1 versus everything, their neighbors, their boss', their summons, their ads, and any mobs passing by. We're alone! We don't have 2.5 seconds to spare, 2.5 seconds gets you DEAD in PvE!

I'm glad you like Aimed Shot the way it is, I really am, but please, try to at least see it from our point of view.

If not, like the olde saying says, "Let's agree, to disagree."
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you are trying to use a ranged At Will when the mobs are in melee range then you aren't playing the class the way it was designed.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I disagree. Aimed shot as it is mechanic wise is fine. Any Adjustment to it would break PvP at level 60. Why? Why would I bother to use anything else when I have an At will that can crit for 16-17k with a perfect vorpal. At 93feet range.

The way it is right now puts it on the player to understand when and when to not use the skill. The key to the HR will always be positioning, More so than any other class.

So turn down the damage to match expectations when you speed up the animation. As it is you can hold split shot and get similar damage anyway when you focus it down to a single target shot, without the problems of interruption etc.

If you can stand around and use this power in PvP good luck to you as well.

While the damage of the ranged attack is around 1k per attack the melee attack does not appear to match this at all. I see abut 200-300pts if the attack even manages to go off because of the interruption of the casting time by attacks.

In line with the above I would be much happier if this attack did 1.9 times the damage of Rapid Shot but took the same time as 2x rapid shots and could not be interrupted.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I can permacast the TR's "Sly Flourish," the CW's "Magic Missles," and even the HR's "RAPID Shot" At-Will's.
    And, a 2.5 second cast IS ALOT when it keeps getting interrupted, you're doing NO DAMAGE, and you're TAKING DAMAGE.
    As is, it works like the TR's "Lashing Blade" Encounter, but "Lashing Blade" doesn't have a 2.5 second casting time..

All valid points, However LB still has a 20 second cooldown. I would have no issues with having Aimed shot moved to an instant cast Encounter. In fact I would welcome it, with a long CD. Around the 20 second mark. I can understand most of the complaints are from a PvE perspective, but as someone who pretty much solely Pvps, having Aimed shot as an at will with anything else but in the form it is now would severely break the balance in pvp.
    That's why bursts are usually DAILY's or ENCOUNTERS, not AT-WILLS, having an AT-WILL as your only, or primary burst power is not a great idea. Now, I'm not saying AIMED SHOT is a bad skill, far from it. What I'm, and others, are saying is that as is, it should be a Daily, or an Encounter, or if they insist on it's being an At-Will, the casting time needs to be removed so it can be used as an At-will. They could add a longer cool down if they want to keep folks from using it to much, but then again, that would be better suited to an Encounter than to an At-Will.

But is not our primary burst power? That would be Hawk Shot, which has a matching Cooldown to LB. Being instant cast would be acceptable, but then it would need a CD to stay an At-will. The problem with that then, is that it is no longer an at will. Alternatively allowing it to be cast on the move opens a whole other can of worms... Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you just for the sake of arguing. The way the Encounter works now, for PvP at least, with the right timing and positioning you will be able to blow someone up faster than a CW.

How would removing the long casting time break it? How would changing it to a Daily or an Encounter break it? As a first shot, I agree, it's great, but as an At-Will, it fails.

Removing the cast time would only break it if it stayed as an At-will. As an encounter I see no problem with it.

An interesting thing to consider. Pop the Daily Forest Walker (Can't remember exact name while I am at work) It makes you invisibile to mobs, - Yet to test in Pvp - ) and then Aimed Shot for the 10 seconds you have in stealth. As an At-will it only fails if you have the Aggro. On a Boss fight such as the Dragon in MC, Aimed Shot would be incredibally useful - Both for Dpsing down Valindra and for plugging away at the dragon. There are situations where it can be used and I definitely think it has a place.
    You keep referencing PvP, most of the complaints are more than likely PvE complaints. I don't play, so I don't know, PvP, but in PvE, we can't wait for a boss' ITC, or Shield, or Unstoppable to run out. We can't get out of the way of the ads swarming us. We can't get out of the way of the boss who HAS to be in your face 24/7. We need AT-Wills we can spam as fast as possible to survive. We don't have time to wait 2.5 second for an At-Will to charge, because it's going to get interrupted by the dozens of hits you're taking from the ads, the boss' and everyone else who jumps out to mob you. In PvP you've got what 5v5? 10v10? 20v20? In PvE we've got 1 versus everything, their neighbors, their boss', their summons, their ads, and any mobs passing by. We're alone! We don't have 2.5 seconds to spare, 2.5 seconds gets you DEAD in PvE!

I'm glad you like Aimed Shot the way it is, I really am, but please, try to at least see it from our point of view.

If not, like the olde saying says, "Let's agree, to disagree."

I can see where you are coming from, but like every other class there will be At-wills and encounters that perform higher in certain situations than in others. To be Brutally Honest, I cannot see myself using anything other than Split the Sky, Rain of Arrows and Spamming Split shot with a Lightning enchant in Pve to push the max amount of Dps. (How amazing is Split the Sky by the way!?!?)

I can definitely understand your PoV. However, one thing that never happens really well, is finding skills that are balanced in both PvP and PvE.

And lets be honest. None of our At-Wills are really top notch for PvE encounters anyway. Electric shot is really underwhelming, Rapid shot suffers from the same problem as Aimed Shot. Being rooted in place. Split shot will work, but its big downside is locking onto a specific mob. Big potential for DpS loss here.
    So turn down the damage to match expectations when you speed up the animation. As it is you can hold split shot and get similar damage anyway when you focus it down to a single target shot, without the problems of interruption etc.

If you can stand around and use this power in PvP good luck to you as well.

Your rebuttal to holding and channeling down Aimed shot is to return with the exact amount of time mit takes to focus Split shot down to narrow conal. 2.5 second channel is a 2.5 second channel.

Also, My split shot crits and hits for nowhere near the same amount as my Aimed shot. I am pushing 5k Crits at level 34 after using Throw Caution. Highest crit comparison I have seen on Split shot is 1500 or so. Thats like comparing Apples to Oranges. The only difference being that Split shot doesn't get interrupted.

In regards to Pvp. If you are standing around in the open using this ability you deserve to get interrupted. Playing a ranger in Pvp is going to take alot more than just button mashing. Knowing when and were to strike with your burst is going to count alot more as a ranger than most other classes. I would rate it on positioning slightly higher than Cws and slightly lower than TRs.

Aimed shot has Great potential for PvP. You just need to know how to use it in PVP. Spamming it means you will die.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm curious. I haven't gotten to level 30+ yet in the preview shard to be able to take Throw Caution/Split the Sky, but would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me about the skill's effects as well as its buffs when leveled up? I've been wondering about it for quite some time now but the leveling process has been going slow due to Tower District being unplayable with all the FPS drops. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who can answer this.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I don't really care how it works in PvP; the only PvP I do is GG (and just a few more runs with my DC and I can skip that too). The difference between click and wait and hold and release in terms of your ability to control the powers is huge. I'm still mid 20's with my HR and so I'm not seeing much difference between the powers; except the MA side of Split works and the MA side of Aimed is busted.

The melee potion of constricting arrow has Stamina regain 100% at 2 and 3 pips invested...doesn't seem particularly useful or is very inaccurate.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I don't really care how it works in PvP; the only PvP I do is GG (and just a few more runs with my DC and I can skip that too). The difference between click and wait and hold and release in terms of your ability to control the powers is huge. I'm still mid 20's with my HR and so I'm not seeing much difference between the powers; except the MA side of Split works and the MA side of Aimed is busted.

The melee potion of constricting arrow has Stamina regain 100% at 2 and 3 pips invested...doesn't seem particularly useful or is very inaccurate.

Well unfortunately for you, you are going to need to face the fact that this game also supports PvP, and your style of game play isn't the only one that matters. I agree that the difference is huge, and the only real gripe I have with it is that in order to cancel it you have to shift or spam escape. I would much prefer for the skill to be able to be channeled whilst holding the mouse button down, and stopping the channel upon release.

The class needs to be balanced for everyone. Not just the PvE Heros or the PvP junkies.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ok so I'm running;
    Encounters:
    Constricting Shot (good ranged ok melee)
    Thorn Ward (good both)
    Marauder's (good both)
    Daily:
    Seismic (which I rarely use tbh and not just due to the bug)
    Forest Walk (which I use relatively regularly)
    At-Will:
    Split Shot (great both)
    Aimed Shot (damage is as reported in tooltip for RA and nothing like that for MA)

Tactics are pretty much;
    Aimed Shot - either kills a weak add or does good damage to a tougher one
    Constricting Shot
    Thorn Ward
    Then either close to melee and constrict, thorn and back to range or spam Split Shot while waiting for recharges.

If its just a weak mob its just spam Split Shot.

Tough encounters will cause me to use Forest Walk.

OMG I'm going to die will see me drop Seismic (if the mob/boss is not control immune).

Aimed shot does not function as an at-will in PVE, even with Forest Walk you get at most 3 uses of it and with tough mobs that at best drops one. The fact that in melee it still has a cast time and can be interrupted just further hinders the power. In essence the power is trading an at-will for a 4th encounter.

This means it isn't functioning as an at-will.

Its also not going to work on Valindra or the Dragon in MC, it takes too long to cast; Valindra will complete her summon or the dragon will AoE you probably because its turned around and smashed you with it's tail while you stood there waiting for it to cast.

And lets face it of the t2 bosses MC is an exception not the rule. The rule is vast numbers of adds combined with either the adds or boss creating red zones consistently. Again making Aimed Shot a terrible power; Split Shot allows you to aoe damage and cancel to dodge red zones and Rapid Shot allows you to spam out attacks to utilise buffs provided by other PCs.

(And yes I'm well aware of the need to recognise PvP yet you are happy to dismiss PvE concerns and fixes because of PvP concerns. The door swings bot ways.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm curious. I haven't gotten to level 30+ yet in the preview shard to be able to take Throw Caution/Split the Sky, but would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me about the skill's effects as well as its buffs when leveled up? I've been wondering about it for quite some time now but the leveling process has been going slow due to Tower District being unplayable with all the FPS drops. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who can answer this.

Split the sky: Essentially a Pbaoe - Targetted are, Around the same size as a Singularity pull area. Any opponent who attacks you or an ally gets jolted by the storm. Deals around 200 damage or so, but also applies a snare effect.

Throw Caution: I don't have any actual % numbers here and someone who is mathematically inclined should probably do some testing in regards to this one. But it does increase your Damage on the next attack by a noticable amount.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Whilst I don't have much of a problem with aimed shot as it stands for basic questing, the interupt was a little annoying initially, what you could do is have the aimed shot fire prematurely for partial damage on interupt. It'd make it less of an all or nothing ability. Whether you take the step further and allow the player to fire it off early is another thing.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Hotenow ; Fire Giants
    Not sure if this is a bug or intended.

Immune to CC fire giants are not immune to grasps (Nature's Grasp & Binding Arrow).

Bug: Hotenow ; Flameshields

Flameshields, however, are immune to grasps. Or, rather, the grasps do not show up at all and I did not get an 'immune' msg.

Tooltip could be reworded, as it's now it's not too clear if being further from your target or closer increases dmg.
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Damage is low, don't see any additional damage based on how full enemy health is.

Useless skill. It only adds 200 dmg to next attack.

Don't like this skill, small aoe, have to be close to target.

After hitting 60 lvl I did some epic dungeons with friends. I had 11,5k+ GS with Perfect Vorpal.

Archery:
    Not bad coping, has comparable damage to other classes.

Combat:

Weapon has a small amount of damage which translates into overall damage dealt. Compared to the archery is very poor, although it has aoe but dmg of it is low.
  • Options
    indevaindeva Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Throw Caution: I don't have any actual % numbers here and someone who is mathematically inclined should probably do some testing in regards to this one. But it does increase your Damage on the next attack by a noticable amount.

It last a few seconds (dun remember how many right now). It's Hawkeye that does dmg on next attack. I havent done any math yet, but I will if I remember when I have time (and as I reported above, the risk of losing defence during the time it's active is buged).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    To be Brutally Honest, I cannot see myself using anything other than Split the Sky, Rain of Arrows and Spamming Split shot with a Lightning enchant in Pve to push the max amount of Dps. (How amazing is Split the Sky by the way!?!?)
    Electric shot is really underwhelming, Rapid shot suffers from the same problem as Aimed Shot.
    I am pushing 5k Crits at level 34 after using Throw Caution.

"Split the Sky?" "Electric Shot?" "Throw Caution?"

Even if you don't have the names correct, my version of the Hunter Ranger has no powers that can even remotely be called "Split the Sky," "Electric Shot," or "Throw Caution!"

Are you one of the folks who created the Hunter Ranger? Where did you get ahold of those powers? Did you Beta test the Hunter Ranger?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Then you aren't playing a HR. Split the Sky and Throw Caution is available at 30 points. Split the Sky is the ranged and Throw Caution is the melee. Electric Shot is available at 35 points. They don't show until you are able to choose your path at lvl 30
  • Options
    n0fxer#8270 n0fxer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I see that this class relies heavily on mobility, which becomes moot when the mobs close in on you when they aren't in an attack animation that I spend more time trying to get away (especially since melee is rather underwhelming) and trying to set up some measure of counterattack than actually going on the offensive. I found myself relying more on Split Shot on mobs to open with and hope that at least a couple get taken out before the rush happens and I am ducking attacks like mad.

This has always been a personal issue with the combat in this game.. outside of the way the mobs path when not attacking I do like it.. its fast-paced enough to keep me occupied, but with something like the HR being set up as it is currently, the issue gets extrapolated significantly when doing quests. I'll admit I am only in the low 40s on my HR but I have 60s on live and dealt with this issue for a while but that is what pushed me away from the game initially.

Great idea, but unless this whole thing with the way the mobs act gets resolved, you can buff the class in PvE till you are blue in the face and it won't make that much a difference, the mobility gets trivialized with self-rooting/charging attacks and stuck-at-your-hip mob swarms.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Then you aren't playing a HR. Split the Sky and Throw Caution is available at 30 points. Split the Sky is the ranged and Throw Caution is the melee. Electric Shot is available at 35 points. They don't show until you are able to choose your path at lvl 30

At level 30, my Hunter Ranger has "Boar Hide," and that's it.
    At level 35, my Hunter Ranger has "Hawk Shot," and that's it.
    If, they become available at level 30, I should have them today.
    We get to "choose a path?"
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yeah your paragon path. For the HR it is Stormwarden. Paragon Paths open up at lvl 30. Prior to lvl 30 only those 2 skills you mention are showing.
  • Options
    caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You get to choose a paragon path at level 30, like every other class. You don't get a choice] in paragon paths yet, as there's only one for Hunter Ranger in Module 2 (other classes are just getting their second in Module 2) but you still have to choose from the one path available, and then the powers linked to that paragon path will become visible.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ok so I'm running;
    Encounters:
    Constricting Shot (good ranged ok melee) Agreed, Constricting Shot is one of my favoriters.
    Thorn Ward (good both) I love Thorn Ward, but Thorn Strike is pretty weak.
    Marauder's (good both) Agreed, Marauder's is great for both ranged and melee.
    Daily:
    Seismic (which I rarely use tbh and not just due to the bug) Good skill, but I don't use it much
    Forest Walk (which I use relatively regularly) Love this one, especially as an "oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" power
    At-Will:
    Split Shot (great both) Probably the best at-will we have
    Aimed Shot (damage is as reported in tooltip for RA and nothing like that for MA) Too difficult to use in most situations

Tactics are pretty much;
    Aimed Shot - either kills a weak add or does good damage to a tougher one
    Constricting Shot
    Thorn Ward
    Then either close to melee and constrict, thorn and back to range or spam Split Shot while waiting for recharges.

If its just a weak mob its just spam Split Shot.

Tough encounters will cause me to use Forest Walk.

OMG I'm going to die will see me drop Seismic (if the mob/boss is not control immune).

My usual set-up:

At wills: Rapid Shot and Split Shot
    Encounters: Marauder's, Constricting, Fox Shift (forget the 2 names)
    Passives: Aspect of Serpent and Stormstep Action
    Daily: Forest Ghost and Disruptive Shot.

I am primarily ranged spec, but 10 points in melee tree to get the skill that reduces ranged cool-downs based on melee encounter use. I also use the ranged sill that reduces cool-downs on a critical hit. Further, I use the passive that reduces cool-downs based on daily use, and the Disruptive Shot daily only uses 25% AP and recharges pretty quickly.

I typically open with Fox Dodge-> Constricting shot-> Split Shot-> Stance Switch-> Marauder Charge in -> Constricting Strike-> Fox Attack-> (maybe a few more melee hits) -> Stance Switch -> Marauder Escape -> (Then figure out next best options, often I use Disruptive Shot here)

With the amount of crits reducing cool downs, the melee encounters reducing cool downs, and Disruptive also reducing cool downs, I am using powers MUCH more often that the base cool down would normally allow.

Forest Ghost seems to work VERY well with Fox Strike. With Fox moving me to each enemy within range and hitting them, along with FG hitting each enemy that I get close to, the damage is good. After my usual opening sequence (listed above) I will sometimes use FG, marauder charge in, Fox Strike, Constricting Strike, charge out.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    More feeback: Aimed shot
    While it does good damage it has 3 drawbacks.
    (IMO any good damage attacks should never have more than 2, okay damage attacks should have 1, and poor damage attacks should have none)
    The three drawbacks are
    1) Long cast time
    2) Interrupted on damage
    3) loss of mobility

Drop one of these drawbacks and I think it would be a viable attack.

the changes are simple (in theory)
    1) shorten the cast time by %50, still gets interrupted on damage still roots while charging
    2) Keep the cast time, still be rooted while casting, but not interrupted when you take damage
    3) Keep the cast time, still have it interrupted when hit, but make it so you can still move and shift while casting it. (sort of like GWF reaping strike)

option number 3 is probably my favorite because they keep saying the class is based on mobility, but this is the exact opposite of that theme as it currently is.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    fleeghopfleeghop Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    (IMO any good damage attacks should never have more than 2, okay damage attacks should have 1, and poor damage attacks should have none)
    The three drawbacks are
    1) Long cast time
    2) Interrupted on damage
    3) loss of mobility

1) shorten the cast time by %50, still gets interrupted on damage still roots while charging
    2) Keep the cast time, still be rooted while casting, but not interrupted when you take damage
    3) Keep the cast time, still have it interrupted when hit, but make it so you can still move and shift while casting it. (sort of like GWF reaping strike)

option number 3 is probably my favorite because they keep saying the class is based on mobility, but this is the exact opposite of that theme as it currently is.

I think I like option 2 more and it was one of the ideas I had when reading some of the other feedback on Aimed Shot. Although I currently use it I do get kind of ticked off that one stray ranged hit that takes maybe a fraction of my health interrupts my shot. I'd rather have a substantial amount of health loss (10%+ health damage like mounts maybe?) or actual interrupts (such as CW stuns or TR smoke bombs or GWF pushbacks) stopping my shots as that would make sense why I lose focus on my target. I have a feeling option 3 would make the skill WAY too powerful though, and I'm fine if not a little irked with where Aimed Shot is right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    indeva wrote: »
    It last a few seconds (dun remember how many right now). It's Hawkeye that does dmg on next attack. I havent done any math yet, but I will if I remember when I have time (and as I reported above, the risk of losing defence during the time it's active is buged).

I think you should re-read both tooltips. Hawkeye adds a buff to you and your party members adding damage on the next attack. This is a Proc based damage. I.e Adds 50 damage to the next attack.

Throw Caution adds a Flat % increase in damage. As I stated I am not mathematically inclined or skilled. So someone with those skills, should do some testing and come out with the % that Throw Caution increases our damage by.
    tickdoff wrote: »
    My usual set-up:

At wills: Rapid Shot and Split Shot
    Encounters: Marauder's, Constricting, Fox Shift (forget the 2 names)
    Passives: Aspect of Serpent and Stormstep Action
    Daily: Forest Ghost and Disruptive Shot.

I am primarily ranged spec, but 10 points in melee tree to get the skill that reduces ranged cool-downs based on melee encounter use. I also use the ranged sill that reduces cool-downs on a critical hit. Further, I use the passive that reduces cool-downs based on daily use, and the Disruptive Shot daily only uses 25% AP and recharges pretty quickly.

I typically open with Fox Dodge-> Constricting shot-> Split Shot-> Stance Switch-> Marauder Charge in -> Constricting Strike-> Fox Attack-> (maybe a few more melee hits) -> Stance Switch -> Marauder Escape -> (Then figure out next best options, often I use Disruptive Shot here)

With the amount of crits reducing cool downs, the melee encounters reducing cool downs, and Disruptive also reducing cool downs, I am using powers MUCH more often that the base cool down would normally allow.

Forest Ghost seems to work VERY well with Fox Strike. With Fox moving me to each enemy within range and hitting them, along with FG hitting each enemy that I get close to, the damage is good. After my usual opening sequence (listed above) I will sometimes use FG, marauder charge in, Fox Strike, Constricting Strike, charge out.

How are you finding the cooldown reduction capability of this? Is it a large noticible difference? What is your crit chance?
    The three drawbacks are
    1) Long cast time
    2) Interrupted on damage
    3) loss of mobility

^ this is a brilliant idea. I am wary about allowing it to be cast on the move. Purely from a PvP perspective, as it would essentially make our Encounters redunant as the main nukes due to our range capability and maneuverability.

I like the cast time redcution. 1.5seconds How would people feel about that? It is still long enough that it takes a period to charge, but short enough that you can fire and forget when needed.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I like the cast time redcution. 1.5seconds How would people feel about that? It is still long enough that it takes a period to charge, but short enough that you can fire and forget when needed.

I have a major issue with the whole opinion that this is an At-Will that should allow you to nuke someone with NO consideration at all as to your current situation. Yes, it is an At-Will. No, that does not mean that any situation at all calls for using this particular one just because it has high damage. While I might agree that in it's current state it's a bit too restrictive, transforming any At-Will into a "fire-and-forget" skill essentially removes any form of thought process that goes into creating a strategy when attacking an enemy. For example, in a PvE situation, would a TR start up his 2 second long charge up At-Will that, while providing a bleed and higher damage, leaves him vulnerable if he's in a red circle or would he go for a quicker low damage At-Will? The decision is yours but just because one At-Will doesn't make as much sense to use in one situation, that does not mean it needs to be changed. Even in a PvP situation, would a GWF go for his more spread out At-Will to lower defense or his more direct and focused slashing At-Will that focuses on single target damage? The decision is his, but there are still clear-cut advantages and disadvantages to both, just as in the situation of deciding whether or not to take the risk of charging an Aimed Shot. Let me remind you 16-18k worth of crit damage is nothing to scoff at at higher levels and something with that huge of a reward DEFINITELY needs a huge amount of risk to come with it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    fleeghop wrote: »
    I have a major issue with the whole opinion that this is an At-Will that should allow you to nuke someone with NO consideration at all as to your current situation. Yes, it is an At-Will. No, that does not mean that any situation at all calls for using this particular one just because it has high damage. While I might agree that in it's current state it's a bit too restrictive, transforming any At-Will into a "fire-and-forget" skill essentially removes any form of thought process that goes into creating a strategy when attacking an enemy. For example, in a PvE situation, would a TR start up his 2 second long charge up At-Will that, while providing a bleed and higher damage, leaves him vulnerable if he's in a red circle or would he go for a quicker low damage At-Will? The decision is yours but just because one At-Will doesn't make as much sense to use in one situation, that does not mean it needs to be changed. Even in a PvP situation, would a GWF go for his more spread out At-Will to lower defense or his more direct and focused slashing At-Will that focuses on single target damage? The decision is his, but there are still clear-cut advantages and disadvantages to both, just as in the situation of deciding whether or not to take the risk of charging an Aimed Shot. Let me remind you 16-18k worth of crit damage is nothing to scoff at at higher levels and something with that huge of a reward DEFINITELY needs a huge amount of risk to come with it.

Don't get me wrong I 100% agree that there needs to be some kind of Drawback for an At-Will of this nature. Something that we all seem to be forgetting is that the design behind this at-will is something new. No other class will have the same sort of burst capability from a spammable ability. It is spammable, simply because it has no CD.

I am not pushing for it to be streamlined into a Fire and Forget At-Will, as something that has the potential to hit this hard, with no Cooldown is broken for both PvE and PvP.

We need to find the happy medium that is not going to break the skill in both PvE and PvP. As suggested there are a number of ways to do this. Personally I would lean much more towards the "not getting interrupted while casting for taking damage" Still forces you to sit in place for 2.5 seconds - Which in PvP is a long time, Pve Players will still be able to cast while having a small dot / mob hitting them, thereby not nullifying what is arguably one of our strongest At-Wills.

I will strongly admit that I believe making it able to be used whilst moving is definitely the wrong way to go though.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    For reference: we're talking about the current state of Aimed Shot.

We need to find the happy medium that is not going to break the skill in both PvE and PvP. As suggested there are a number of ways to do this. Personally I would lean much more towards the "not getting interrupted while casting for taking damage" Still forces you to sit in place for 2.5 seconds - Which in PvP is a long time, Pve Players will still be able to cast while having a small dot / mob hitting them, thereby not nullifying what is arguably one of our strongest At-Wills.

I will strongly admit that I believe making it able to be used whilst moving is definitely the wrong way to go though.

Looks like we're on the same track of thinking. How about the rest of you guys frequenting the thread? Maybe we can let the devs know this is the kind of change we're hoping for and leave the number tweaking up to them as far as this At-Will goes?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    fleeghop wrote: »
    For reference: we're talking about the current state of Aimed Shot.

Looks like we're on the same track of thinking. How about the rest of you guys frequenting the thread? Maybe we can let the devs know this is the kind of change we're hoping for and leave the number tweaking up to them as far as this At-Will goes?

If some others would frequent the thread would like to chime in on this that would be great. That way the devs get the feedback from the community as a whole rather than 2 -4 players who prefer a specific idea.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I don't use Aimed shot. I just use rapid shot and split shot. And right now it is getting harder and harder to play on Preview due to the seismic shock after effects bug in the zones. I was doing the recover 5 shields of helm and the first shield underground area had 12 seismic shock after effects in. Yes you read that right 12 green glowing spots in a small area.
This discussion has been closed.